PDA

View Full Version : StPauli

Expecting Rain
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Perhaps we could do worse than look at the attitude of St Pauli to progress off the pitch as well as on it, their supporters get behind their team from the 1st whistle to the last and are very patient with their players irrespective of form and offer encouragement rather than criticism whilst these guys are representing the club, the rewards are as follows that the players give 110% in their commitment to achieve a worthwhile result, if you don`t believe me go to one of their games or watch the Bundislega review on ESPN.

sleeping giant
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
You start it then Churchy ! I'll follow you :thumbsup:

Expecting Rain
03-09-2010, 10:56 AM
You start it then Churchy ! I'll follow you :thumbsup:

I`m too shy mate and have a limited range vocally ( not bad in the key of F).:greengrin
Anyhow the main point was showing a bit of patience instead of seeing red mist when a player makes a mistake, i kept hearing Yogi talking about Barcelona, he should show the players a video of a St Pauli match instead, not the best team in the German league but tops in the commitment and attitude, it would be a start.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I think they are Celtics German lovechild are they not? :confused:

bawheid
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I think they are Celtics German lovechild are they not? :confused:

One of the many European clubs Sellick like to think they have a special relationship with. I think St Pauli see Sellick more like some sort of creepy stalker.

Expecting Rain
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
One of the many European clubs Sellick like to think they have a special relationship with. I think St Pauli see Sellick more like some sort of creepy stalker.

Yeah, Celtic are loved by all clubs and players around the world, St Pauli are very much their own club.

Keith_M
03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Perhaps we could do worse than look at the attitude of St Pauli to progress off the pitch as well as on it, their supporters get behind their team from the 1st whistle to the last and are very patient with their players irrespective of form and offer encouragement rather than criticism whilst these guys are representing the club, the rewards are as follows that the players give 110% in their commitment to achieve a worthwhile result, if you don`t believe me go to one of their games or watch the Bundislega review on ESPN.

I absolutely agree. I'd love to see the support start to get behind the team, encouraging them and not jumping on their every mistake. Even, and I know this sounds like a madcap wacky notion, singing even more when we go behind, instead of the usual flat atmosphere that inevitably follows.

Unfortunately, there are loads of 'fans' that think it's their god given (or I've paid my £22/£27) right to scream abuse at the team. Or that the players should be above all that. Or whatever other guff is currently in vogue.

I expect most folk won't care about this, and I may even get shot down in flames for mentioning it, but the atmosphere at a lot of games actually takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I'm sure I'm not alone in that either.

Expecting Rain
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I absolutely agree. I'd love to see the support start to get behind the team, encouraging them and not jumping on their every mistake. Even, and I know this sounds like a madcap wacky notion, singing even more when we go behind, instead of the usual flat atmosphere that inevitably follows.

Unfortunately, there are loads of 'fans' that think it's their god given (or I've paid my £22/£27) right to scream abuse at the team. Or that the players should be above all that. Or whatever other guff is currently in vogue.

I expect most folk won't care about this, and I may even get shot down in flames for mentioning it, but the atmosphere at a lot of games actually takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I'm sure I'm not alone in that either.

:flag:

At The Edge
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
St Pauli games are ace, running out to AC/DC or Turbonegro, song 2 by blur when they score, place is bouncing for 90 mins regardless of score and best of all this season back in europes top league,the Bundesliga.
Hope to get back over again soon.
the Celtic connection is piss, but they have links with many European teams due to their left wing stance.

But as i said for atmosphere, if ER could get anywhere near that, teams would indeed feel intimidated about coming here to play.
:thumbsup:

degenerated
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM

:agree:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?190705-Pre-Match-Music&p=2554689&viewfull=1#post2554689

borstalboy
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I see your point and its a great idea, however, I think it all stems from what we see on the pitch week in week out.........if performances and attitude on the pitch were more inspiring then I think we could create a type of atmosphere that would be great!

Sometimes you watch Hibs and think theres no urgency, no pace and nothing that really gets the fans going......we can sing all we like, however, people will soon get tired or bored of doing it if nothing happens on the pitch IMO

LancashireHibby
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Great atmosphere, but I wouldn't want Hibs to become as political as St. Pauli are. They played FC United in a friendly over the summer, and they made FCUM seem positively middle of the road in comparison!

superbam
03-09-2010, 01:44 PM

spot on - nationalism, sectarianism and pope fetish dont go down so well in St Pauli circles.

JackRegan
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM
spot on - nationalism, sectarianism and pope fetish dont go down so well in St Pauli circles.

It was by coming to see Celtic away in Europe, that St Pauli initiated the relationship between the two sets of fans.

I must have imagined large groups of them coming to CP every season, or the party they put on for us in May in Hamburg then?

Also, the Celtic fans who maintain the relationship tend to be more from a leftist secular/atheist slant, and the St Pauli fans are intelligent enough not to equate "stuff about Ireland" with Sectarianism.

degenerated
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
and as if by magic the defender of all things celtic appears. :hilarious

go and tell me how you do it, is there some way of setting an alert that fires you an email whenever celtic need defending on here.

heretoday
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
St Pauli have always been a one-off crowd of oddballs - a special Hamburg brew not replicable anywhere else.

degenerated
03-09-2010, 02:03 PM
St Pauli have always been a one-off crowd of oddballs - a special Hamburg brew not replicable anywhere else.

dunno, Bohemians of Prague fans are pretty similar.

they play in green and white and i think they are one of the very few clubs in the world that celtic fans don't have a special relationship with, so maybe we should start a special relationship with them :greengrin

JackRegan
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
and as if by magic the defender of all things celtic appears. :hilarious

go and tell me how you do it, is there some way of setting an alert that fires you an email whenever celtic need defending on here.

Well when someone talks as much garbage as some on this thread, I think its only fair.

BTW For the record, I despise the connection, even though the guys like big Sven, who I have met on mnay a trip have been sound.

JackRegan
03-09-2010, 02:07 PM

I agree with that. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I was at Bohemians final home game of last season at their old stadium, there were CFC strips in evidence unfortunately!

degenerated
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I was at Bohemians final home game of last season at their old stadium, there were CFC strips in evidence unfortunately!

that makes my bohemian ultras "stay rude, stay rebel" polo shirt just that slightly less cool now :grr:

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
0 0 magic atmosphere though. 2 hrs of SKA tunes from a boy on a set of decks at the side of the stand b4 KO, Superb!

bawheid
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
It was by coming to see Celtic away in Europe, that St Pauli initiated the relationship between the two sets of fans.

I must have imagined large groups of them coming to CP every season, or the party they put on for us in May in Hamburg then?

Also, the Celtic fans who maintain the relationship tend to be more from a leftist secular/atheist slant, and the St Pauli fans are intelligent enough not to equate "stuff about Ireland" with Sectarianism.

:greengrin I knew that would flush you out...

degenerated
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
0 0 magic atmosphere though. 2 hrs of SKA tunes from a boy on a set of decks at the side of the stand b4 KO, Superb!

if you are there again, there's a boozer called ujezd near the old town which a lot the bohemians lads drink in. great boozer, great punk & rock music, great beer and i don't think the place ever shuts. :greengrin:

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Back there next month for the scotland game! :-)

heretoday
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
dunno, Bohemians of Prague fans are pretty similar.

they play in green and white and i think they are one of the very few clubs in the world that celtic fans don't have a special relationship with, so maybe we should start a special relationship with them :greengrin

I was there on holiday exactly a year ago and made it my business to visit every single football stadium in Prague (as one does) including the giant Strahov stadium where Sparta used to play.

The friendliest welcome was at the Bohemians 1905 ground on a wednesday afternoon where there was a youth game in progress. Being Czech of course the Gambrinus beer was flowing from a wee bar in the car park and we took our drinks into the stand to watch the action! Wouldn't happen at ER!

For the record there is another Bohemians team in Prague.

superbam
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Fair enough, not doubtin that - but have heard a few St Pauli fans giving out about elements of the celtic support.

What certain celtic fans might consider republicanism comes across as right wing nationalism to many.

Anyway, im sceptical about the whole St Pauli lefty cult - how may other clubs have had there own trainer produced by nike?

With supposed anti-capitalist tendencies they are not shy when it comes to makin a buck. No doubtin some of their support mean it but they are in danger of becoming an equivalent of the che guevara t-shirt for football fans.

JackRegan
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Fair enough, not doubtin that - but have heard a few St Pauli fans giving out about elements of the celtic support.

What certain celtic fans might consider republicanism comes across as right wing nationalism to many.

Anyway, im sceptical about the whole St Pauli lefty cult - how may other clubs have had there own trainer produced by nike?

With supposed anti-capitalist tendencies they are not shy when it comes to makin a buck. No doubtin some of their support mean it but they are in danger of becoming an equivalent of the che guevara t-shirt for football fans.

Fair enough on your points, but I don't really see why Irish Republicanism can be confused with Far Right nationalism. :confused:

superbam
03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Fair enough on your points, but I don't really see why Irish Republicanism can be confused with Far Right nationalism. :confused:

Im sure you dont confuse them, but there are many celtic fans whose supposed irish republicanism comes across as simple ethnic nationalism. For example, on several occasions I have been challenged by celtic fans on the perceived dilution of the original "ethnic purity" of our support when I have suggested that the district of edinburgh you are brought up in more than rivals religious background in determining which team you support in embra. Im takling about the republic here, but combine this with a general anti-immigrant stance and you get the picture. Im sure ive heard that kind of chat somewhere else.

Maybe its not for this section of the site, but there there are elements in the fairly broad church of irish republicanism that would, if you swapped the flags, not be that far off the likes of the BNP in their outlook. And many such people are included in the celtic support. Ive no doubt they are not prominent among the chaps keeping the whole st pauli love in going, and I wouldnt say they are necessarily a majority, but they are fairly visible and thats why some are a little sceptical about celtic's supposed left wing leanings.