PDA

View Full Version : Evening News Article "Hibs To Approach Games as Underdogs"

Gala Foxes
03-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Is that Dutch underdogs or Scottish underdogs?

Hibs90
03-09-2010, 06:07 AM
So basically,

"Were ***** and we know we are so any games we win will be a bonus do don't be expecting us to be the likes of St.Mirren, Hamilton etc."

Tricla
03-09-2010, 06:15 AM
So basically,

"Were ***** and we know we are so any games we win will be a bonus do don't be expecting us to be the likes of St.Mirren, Hamilton etc."

Or maybe it's a bit if cunning reverse psychology as some of the squad think they can just turn up to win.
Maybe we could look at it that way rather than putting a negative slant on it.

PaulSmith
03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
So basically,

No offence Meeko but that's total rubbish and I'm all for using constructive criticism but that's just a very, very poor one sided interpretation of what Hughes has said. It makes you look like a silly wee laddie to be honest.

I know exactly what he means and I'm sure you do to, he wants the Hibs that come out against Rangers/Celtic/Hearts and battle, fight, chase and work their erses of for 90 mins rather than the body language that we often show against St Mirren, Killie etc.

ski1875
03-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Approach games as underdogs . we are bloody underdogs in every game!

basehibby
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Or maybe it's a bit if cunning reverse psychology as some of the squad think they can just turn up to win.
Maybe we could look at it that way rather than putting a negative slant on it.

It's not exactly that cunning and it's been said before, but that doesn't make it any less true. It's a tendency which has existed at ER as long as I can remember and it's one that always has me scratching my head - so often a Hibs team will get a cracking result or even just put in a great performance in a "big" game only to not bother turning up the next week against St. Mirren or Hamilton and get beat, hence undoing all the good work.

It's something that needs addressed and Hughes is at least recognising this. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though. In the mean time so called supporters making fuddish comments every time Hughes opens his mouth are not helping anyone.

Thomson1875
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
we need to go into games thinking we are un beatable imo. Rangers and celtic use this sort of moto why cant we? Telling the team to go into a game as underdogs isnt the greatest idea for confidence is it:yawn:

sambajustice
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Approach games as underdogs . we are bloody underdogs in every game!

:agree:

Andy74
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
we need to go into games thinking we are un beatable imo. Rangers and celtic use this sort of moto why cant we? Telling the team to go into a game as underdogs isnt the greatest idea for confidence is it:yawn:

I think you maybe need to read the content and not the headline.

ancienthibby
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I think you maybe need to read the content and not the headline.

Have done so!

The content of the article clearly says that Yogi believes that positioning the team as underdogs in every game they play, will give them an extra incentive to go on and beat the other team - (and so show that they are not underdogs!)

I am not a believer in negative/reverse psychology. In my days in business I never, ever found that worked. On the other hand I am a believer in positive reinforcement!

I have not the slightest doubt that Yogi rightly brought these new players in because he believes that they will make a positive contribution to the team over this season at least,

Likewise I would doubt that any/all would take well to the notion that they are now underdogs, despite the new skills, talent effort they will bring to the team.

Positive reinforcement any day over negative pyschology!!:agree::agree::agree:

ScottB
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not convinced.

We seem to lack a will, or perhaps a belief in our ability, to win. Convincing the squad that we are underdogs doesn't strike me as helping that problem!

ancienthibby
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm not convinced.

We seem to lack a will, or perhaps a belief in our ability, to win. Convincing the squad that we are underdogs doesn't strike me as helping that problem!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::t humbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Is that Dutch underdogs or Scottish underdogs?

Good point, I was trying to figure out why Yogi gets on my goat so much with what he feeds the press. Basically it's that he keeps coming up with new philosophies for the club every week. He just comes across as someone who doesn't know what he thinks.

BEEJ
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
This is the section I didn't follow:

He reckons that expectation levels have raised even his own players' hopes and wants them to go back to basics.

Whose expectations? I thought the recent reference to the unrealistic expectations of the supporters was that their frustration was inducing fear in the team such that they were unable to perform.

And I haven't seen the media crow about Hibs flowing football recently. So whose expectation levels are causing our players to strut on to the field of play like arrogant champions? :confused:

Strikes me that this is all about pointing the finger at the players when most of the issues are nearer to home.

crash
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
:Another step closer to the Falkirk template. I don't know how he hasn't gone further in the game with this approach:idiot:

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
:Another step closer to the Falkirk template. I don't know how he hasn't gone further in the game with this approach:idiot:

:faf:

We've gone from the Mowbray/Collins years when we were an entertaining team, regularly appearing in semi finals and the odd final to seeing ourselves as a team that has just been promoted from D1.

At least we'll give it a right good go though.

Alfred E Newman
03-09-2010, 05:39 PM
If he means that we put in the same effort against the likes of St Mirren and St Johnstone as we do against Rangers , Celtic and Hearts then fine , I`m all for that. Bit if he is telling the players to go out against Hamilton , Killie etc thinking that these teams are better than us then that won`t do much for the players confidence.

ancienthibby
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
If he means that we put in the same effort against the likes of St Mirren and St Johnstone as we do against Rangers , Celtic and Hearts then fine , I`m all for that. Bit if he is telling the players to go out against Hamilton , Killie etc thinking that these teams are better than us then that won`t do much for the players confidence.

So what else does underdog mean??

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
So what else does underdog mean??

:hmmm: [family friendly filter not bypassed] :greengrin.

Ray_
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
:greengrin

Why doesn't he just come out and say we're crap, that'd be nearer the truth:boo hoo:

The_Todd
03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I already approach every SPL game as if we were underdogs, nothing new. I'm glad the team may be taking this attitude now, though. We might actually start digging in and putting in a shift.

monktonharp
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
he's losing the plot,never mind,new week coming up.new plot

WeAreHibs
04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
When we were winning games, prior to the fall from grace at the start of the year, I used to really look forward to Yogi's video interviews. I found him inspiring and exciting to listen to, perhaps not the most intelligent but he certainly got his point across and made you believe what he was saying. I just wonder what happened and how it's gone 180.

Positive thinking is king and to be coming out with anything like this despairs me and really makes me wonder if he is the right man. I'd love for him to flip it and start producing results again on a regular basis but I'm worried, big time.

I don't think we need to be calling Watt Nicoll back in but we definitely should be concentrating on belief and a "can do" attitude. Anything less is giving a couple goal advantage before kick off.

COME ON YOGI, GET IT SORTED:wink:

Andy74
04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Can't recall yogi mentioning underdogs at all in the article. Not read it for a few days mind. Seems to me the point was fighting for things and working hard not that other teams are better than us. Why do people want to look thick just to make some sort of daft point?

sahib
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Can't recall yogi mentioning underdogs at all in the article. Not read it for a few days mind. Seems to me the point was fighting for things and working hard not that other teams are better than us. Why do people want to look thick just to make some sort of daft point?

I am sure he said hedgehogs. "Hibs will approach games like hedgehogs", he said and then mumbled something about pricks.

monktonharp
04-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I am sure he said hedgehogs. "Hibs will approach games like hedgehogs", he said and then mumbled something about pricks.:faf:

matty_f
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM

We're at the point in the manager's reign where a number of people have become frustrated at the performances and results, which has led to a rise in the "I never wanted him anyway" brigade, along with the "I usually like to complain about something, and was disappointed when we were winning even though I got to say we were just lucky, but I'm happy now that we're getting beat again because it means I can go back to complaining" brigade.

We're also at the stage where said brigades have made up their minds about the manager, and as such are unable to a) agree with anything he says, and b) not let anything that he says go without a snidey dig about it.

At least, that's my take on it...:greengrin

Pete
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Have done so!

The content of the article clearly says that Yogi believes that positioning the team as underdogs in every game they play, will give them an extra incentive to go on and beat the other team - (and so show that they are not underdogs!)

I am not a believer in negative/reverse psychology. In my days in business I never, ever found that worked. On the other hand I am a believer in positive reinforcement!

I have not the slightest doubt that Yogi rightly brought these new players in because he believes that they will make a positive contribution to the team over this season at least,

Likewise I would doubt that any/all would take well to the notion that they are now underdogs, despite the new skills, talent effort they will bring to the team.

Positive reinforcement any day over negative pyschology!!:agree::agree::agree:

I think this "underdog" thing has a lot to do with the fans and their recent reactions. It's an outward cry to think this way as a club which means the fans expectations might be lessened slightly, therefore the booing might cease if we perform any less than the high expectations we have, and the less booing equals less negative effect on the players on the pitch.

In reality I think positive reinforcement goes on in every dressing room in the country...especially ours given the talent we have. I think everyone in Scotland knows that we have the talent to finish third...there are only a few teams who can think like that. If you have that potential, that we so obviously do, then of course you drum it into their heads that we can beat anyone if we perform to our capabilities.

I think this is just an extra dimension to the positive reinforcement we already employ and it's being taken out of context.

matty_f
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I think this "underdog" thing has a lot to do with the fans and their recent reactions. It's an outward cry to think this way as a club which means the fans expectations might be lessened slightly, therefore the booing might cease if we perform any less than the high expectations we have, and the less booing equals less negative effect on the players on the pitch.

In reality I think positive reinforcement goes on in every dressing room in the country...especially ours given the talent we have. I think everyone in Scotland knows that we have the talent to finish third...there are only a few teams who can think like that. If you have that potential, that we so obviously do, then of course you drum it into their heads that we can beat anyone if we perform to our capabilities.

I think this is just an extra dimension to the positive reinforcement we already employ and it's being taken out of context.

:agree: Yep, that and he wants us to go into every game thinking that we have to do more than just turn up to take anything from the game.

Andy74
05-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I've now read it again and it's the paper that adds in all the underdog talk. Yogi says nothing of the sort.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I've now read it again and it's the paper that adds in all the underdog talk. Yogi says nothing of the sort.

The journalist must have been a Yam.