PDA

View Full Version : Solid stadium but is team?

Captain Trips
01-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I have been for years like I am sure a few others feeling that players are just a name and number there is no real affinty with them for me. Some teams have a turnstyle in the changing rooms with the way players come and go.

I am concerened about the way we have brought in new players over last few days you cant help but worry if any good will be away and for nothing if any good or are they just using Hibs to get other moves asap. We need to have players on board for a few seasons to make sure when we sell it has less impact or we can build a team thats not everchanging in key areas.

I understand though that if players dont work out then we will be ok as no long term deal was struck but you can say the exact same about players on 3 or 4 year deals. Must be difficult for young kids to get names on tops when players are punted or just in on loan you think they are ok then they are off.

IMO a loan for a player we would never be able to sign is ok but I think the guys we bought we should be able to sign them on deals if wanted, just the concern for next sason is we are losing these guys along with the long term ones we may sell anyways and we are rebuilding again.

Jack
01-09-2010, 08:58 AM
I have been for years like I am sure a few others feeling that players are just a name and number there is no real affinty with them for me. Some teams have a turnstyle in the changing rooms with the way players come and go.

I am concerened about the way we have brought in new players over last few days you cant help but worry if any good will be away and for nothing if any good or are they just using Hibs to get other moves asap. We need to have players on board for a few seasons to make sure when we sell it has less impact or we can build a team thats not everchanging in key areas.

I understand though that if players dont work out then we will be ok as no long term deal was struck but you can say the exact same about players on 3 or 4 year deals. Must be difficult for young kids to get names on tops when players are punted or just in on loan you think they are ok then they are off.

IMO a loan for a player we would never be able to sign is ok but I think the guys we bought we should be able to sign them on deals if wanted, just the concern for next sason is we are losing these guys along with the long term ones we may sell anyways and we are rebuilding again.

I think it’s the way of the modern football world. Only the mega clubs sign established players for mega millions up for 4, or so years, with the intention of selling on in 2 or maybe 3 years.

Clubs like what we are protect out young with such contracts but cant afford a 4 year contract for an established player for so many reasons.

[Players and] agents have to pick up their signing on fee on a more regular basis in order to suck the life blood out the game, replacing their cut from transfer fees which most clubs don’t pay so much and can no longer afford.

I suspect one of the very lesser reasons is names on the back of kids shirts. With clubs bringing out 3 new tops every season the young yins will be after the latest top anyway.

I’d like to think Liam Miller might be here for a while longer, as in years. He asked the club if he could sign for us. There hasn’t been so much as a mummer or a sniff from another club and every time he talks about his life its about how settled he and his family are; how much he’s enjoying his football and how he’s enjoying being at Hibs. There's no route along the M8 for him.

He’s 29 now, contract up next summer, probably has another 6 or so years left at the top. It would be great if we could have 4 of these at least.

LeithBoozy
01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Liam is on a 2 year contract, and is with us until SEPTEMBER 2011. :agree:

Cropley10
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
:agree: We do seem to have got through a huge number of players in the last 3 or 4 years.

Hogg, Zouma and Lewis are all that are left from our CIS Cup winning team for example. What has happened since then is that our revolving dressing room door has been accompanied by a similar managerial one. New manager always equals new players, some of whom have been of very dubious quality.

Results under these various regimes have for the most part been patchy, and I'd argue that performances have been worse. How many 'good' games did we have under Yogi vs Mixu vs JC vs TM. Green-tinted specs maybe but I seem to remember more under TM than any of the others, but I do remember some good ones under Collins - Motherwell away! Rangers away! Celtc at home! The Final. Even a few Derby wins inc the 81% game.

It's much easier to feel some affinity with players who've performed well, won the odd big game and given us and themselves something to cheer about. Right now Hibs players look like it's a 'painful religion' - not much fun on or off the park.

I'm confident that as results and performances inevitably improve so will our feeling for the team in general!