PDA

View Full Version : Maka on trial at Swansea

johncrobertson@
01-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Big Maka on a weeks trial at Swansea - thought it was indicated there was a lot of interest in him!!

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Whats he been charged with?

.Sean.
01-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Impersonating a goalkeeper.

Caversham Green
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
If he develops better than he did at Hibs he will turn out to be a very good keeper. I wish the lad well.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 08:14 AM
hope he does well, liked the big guy.

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2010, 08:16 AM

:agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Me too, i liked him too. I was not so keen at 3pm on a Saturday though.:wink:

Speedway
01-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Is he Swansea Class?

Perspective
01-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Is he Swansea Class?

Each to their own, but I'd far rather have Maka in goal than Stack, Smith or Brown.

Steve20
01-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Each to their own, but I'd far rather have Maka in goal than Stack, Smith or Brown.

I agree.

Speedway
01-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Why?

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Why?

They miss all the excitement. :wink:

PeterboroHibee
01-09-2010, 08:50 AM

I agree as well. Best of luck to him anyway, made blunders when he was here (as have pretty much all our keepers recently) but still think he showed signs of being a really good keeper.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Me too, i liked him too. I was not so keen at 3pm on a Saturday though.:wink:

Admittedly it was harder to like him around 3pm on saturday:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree as well. Best of luck to him anyway, made blunders when he was here (as have pretty much all our keepers recently) but still think he showed signs of being a really good keeper.

While i agree he made blunders when he was at easter road. Has Graham Stack made anywhere near as many Blunders as Maka did? Stack is a steady keeper, i personally feel a lot safer with him between the sticks than any other keeper we have had in the last few seasons.

PeterboroHibee
01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
While i agree he made blunders when he was at easter road. Has Graham Stack made anywhere near as many Blunders as Maka did? Stack is a steady keeper, i personally feel a lot safer with him between the sticks than any other keeper we have had in the last few seasons.

Well Maka was here for longer so cant really compare. Wasnt it Stack who had that one in the derby where he misjudged it and it hit off the post?

jdships
01-09-2010, 08:56 AM

:agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Well Maka was here for longer so cant really compare. Wasnt it Stack who had that one in the derby where he misjudged it and it hit off the post?

I'm not 100% sure but you could be right. We will say for arguments sake you are, can you name anymore? Do you really want me to start a list of Maka's?

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 09:01 AM
To save this going to 20 pages can't we all just agree that he seemed to be a rather nice chap, just not a reliable goalie?

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm not 100% sure but you could be right. We will say for arguments sake you are, can you name anymore? Do you really want me to start a list of Maka's?

Stack was in goal that day, however him "letting the ball hit the post" wasn't the only reason for that goal.

Perspective
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Why?

The stats show he was the best keeper at the club in terms of clean sheets and saves made, though I know such figures can be twisted to suit an argument.

I know it might not be the majority view, but I just think he's a better player than they are currently and has the potential to be a lot better.

Aside from the fact he's a nice guy (always taking the time to keep the younger fans happy), how many agile goalies are there around with his frame? For every mistake he had as many man-of-the-match performances against the Old Firm and Hearts.

He had his faults and made some glaring errors, but I think it's a fault of our coaching and the culture of the club that he couldn't bring him on. If we'd worked to improve him it would have saved money in the short term and given us a better keeper for the long haul. I'd apply the same logic to Benji, who I also think was a waste of talent.

I think Stack is sluggish, injury prone and poor on crosses.
Smith's bottle crashes far too easily, and that Motherwell performance was worse than anything dished out by Maka. Add to that he's poor on crosses, his kicking is terrible and his poor decision making.
Brown, I haven't seen enough of yet at Hibs, but he's never impressed me at his other clubs.

As I said, each to their own. I'll still support whoever wears the jersey.

Speedway
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
The stats show he was the best keeper at the club in terms of clean sheets and saves made, though I know such figures can be twisted to suit an argument.

I know it might not be the majority view, but I just think he's a better player than they are currently and has the potential to be a lot better.

Aside from the fact he's a nice guy (always taking the time to keep the younger fans happy), how many agile goalies are there around with his frame? For every mistake he had as many man-of-the-match performances against the Old Firm and Hearts.

He had his faults and made some glaring errors, but I think it's a fault of our coaching and the culture of the club that he couldn't bring him on. If we'd worked to improve him it would have saved money in the short term and given us a better keeper for the long haul. I'd apply the same logic to Benji, who I also think was a waste of talent.

Smith's bottle crashes far too easily, and that Motherwell performance was worse than anything dished out by Maka. Add to that he's poor on crosses, his kicking is terrible and his poor decision making.
Brown, I haven't seen enough of yet at Hibs, but he's never impressed me at his other clubs.

I see your point but Maka had a lot of opportunity to impress but I felt his bottle crashed just as often as Smith. Although I agree that Smith's performance against Motherwell was the worst in living memory, and one that I still think was rigged.

(((Fergus)))
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Admittedly it was harder to like him around 3pm on saturday:greengrin

Though he usually seemed better by around 4.45pm. Stats confirm this even if subjective impressions/prejudices do not.

No he wasn't the perfect goalie he was miles better than Squeaker for a start and I'd say equal in terms of effectiveness with Stack (who does not make such spectacular errors or such spectacular clearances/saves).

Here's some of what we're missing..

XKSOcM9w0TY

bawheid
01-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Hope he gets a deal. Fine young goalkeeper who was only going to get better.

Some of the saves he made our current three would be incapable of.

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Hope he gets a deal. Fine young goalkeeper who was only going to get better.

Some of the saves he made our current three would be incapable of.

The problem was that some of the mistakes he made, 2 of our current 3 are incapable of.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Maka had more ability than Stack, the problem was dealing with pressure. You could see that the pressure got the better of Maka, Stack seems steady all the time no matter the game. Maka would have become a good keeper if he had played at a lower level for a while and expectations and pressures were a bit lower. I wish him all the best but fear he will have the same problems at Swansea should he get a contract.

--------
01-09-2010, 10:57 AM

:agree: I hope Maka gets a chance down south, and that he does well. It's my opinion that a section of our support are far, far too quick to get onto certain players' backs, and that once a player gets a reputation at ER he's never allowed to forget it.

And although I'm aware that it isn't Hibernically Correct to say this, I DO believe that some of those who were nastiest about Maka were influenced by the colour of his skin. I happened to mention this to one of them once, and he responded, "But some of my best friends are darkies...." :rolleyes:

I'm not AT ALL happy with ANY of our present trio of keepers. I don't consider any of them as good as Maka. OK, they don't come out with the glaring mistakes Maka did (though he didn't foul up NEARLY as frequently as some folks make out), but they're NONE of them remotely capable of pulling off the sort of saves he can, and none of them exactly inspire me with the confidence that they're tuned into the defenders in front of them. A lot of the problems at the back stemmed from Jones (slow, indecisive, and committed to playing deep at all times) and Hogg ('nuff said).

I think you sum up our present keepers perfectly in your post - Stack sluggish, Smith flaky, and Brown an unknown quantity except that he hasn't impressed at his previous clubs. And NONE of them are what I would call confident or consistent in dealing with crosses and corners. I can't see any of them as anything other than inferior to Maka.

Like you, I support the guy in the jersey, but.... :bitchy:

Add on the problems in our back four, and we're a disaster waiting to happen at the back. Let's hope that the signing of Dickoh and Grounds makes a difference there. (Of course, that implies that our manager actually plays them and doesn't do a Danny G on them.)

Anyway, I wish Maka all the best, and I REALLY HOPE he makes certain people on this forum choke on their bile very soon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
although I'm aware that it isn't Hibernically Correct to say this, I DO believe that some of those who were nastiest about Maka were influenced by the colour of his skin. I happened to mention this to one of them once, and he responded, "But some of my best friends are darkies...." :rolleyes:

This should be interesting!!

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
And although I'm aware that it isn't Hibernically Correct to say this, I DO believe that some of those who were nastiest about Maka were influenced by the colour of his skin. I happened to mention this to one of them once, and he responded, "But some of my best friends are darkies...." :rolleyes:

Brown an unknown quantity except that he hasn't impressed at his previous clubs.

Ah the race card!

Brown didn't impress at ICT yet got a Scotland call-up and a move to Celtic off the back of his form? He's just lucky his skin's white. :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I cannae believe someone has played the race card already. I have yet to read any of the comments against maka that were even close to being racist, some were a bit OTT but not racist.

Golden Bear
01-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I cannae believe someone has played the race card already. I have yet to read any of the comments against maka that were even close to being racist, some were a bit OTT but not racist.

:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
01-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I think the racism claim's well wide of the mark - noone cares where a player's from or what he looks like if he's a good player. I don't remember Latapy, Agathe or Harper getting a hard time for their colour and players such as Boco, HKT and Rougier became cult heroes.

--------
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the racism claim's well wide of the mark - noone cares where a player's from or what he looks like if he's a good player. I don't remember Latapy, Agathe or Harper getting a hard time for their colour and players such as Boco, HKT and Rougier became cult heroes.

I have heard racist abuse aimed at Maka, Rougier, HKT and Jimmy Boco. Not posted on the forum - the admins would step in, and rightly so. But in the stands and in conversation, I've heard it.

And yes, challenged on occasion.

Anyone who thinks that racism's a problem that only affects teams like Rangers and Hearts is the one who's "well wide of the mark". It may not be as acceptable or correct to come out with it at ER as at some other grounds, but it's there.

I wasn't "playing cards" - race cards or Happy Families (which Hibs clearly are not these days) - when I posted. I was simply reporting what I've heard and seen. :cool2:

Bottom line is - I think we have three very average keepers right now. None of them instils a great deal of confidence, and that, added to the obvious problems in the back four, leaves me a lot less than confident for the season ahead.

--------
01-09-2010, 11:47 AM
This should be interesting!!

I know.

I have my Kevlar and riot-shield ready for the onslaught.... :devil:

And as you can see, I have no intention of withdrawing the allegation. :cool2:

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I know.

I have my Kevlar and riot-shield ready for the onslaught.... :devil:

And as you can see, I have no intention of withdrawing the allegation. :cool2:

name and shame them Doddie

Perspective
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I accept that the vast majority of Maka's critics didn't rate him for football reasons, but it's wrong to suggest that a minority didn't hold his colour against him or at least use it in insults.

Maybe it's guys who are from a different era and think nothing of these comments, but like Doddie I've heard stuff at games and read comments on here (again I'll stress on a very rare occasion) that have made me cringe.

If a player is rated it's not the kind of thing that comes up. It's just another adjective used for abuse.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I have heard racist abuse aimed at Maka, Rougier, HKT and Jimmy Boco. Not posted on the forum - the admins would step in, and rightly so. But in the stands and in conversation, I've heard it.

And yes, challenged on occasion.

Anyone who thinks that racism's a problem that only affects teams like Rangers and Hearts is the one who's "well wide of the mark". It may not be as acceptable or correct to come out with it at ER as at some other grounds, but it's there.

I wasn't "playing cards" - race cards or Happy Families (which Hibs clearly are not these days) - when I posted. I was simply reporting what I've heard and seen. :cool2:

Bottom line is - I think we have three very average keepers right now. None of them instils a great deal of confidence, and that, added to the obvious problems in the back four, leaves me a lot less than confident for the season ahead.

Not doubting what you have heard, however I have to say it's a long time since I heard any racist comments at the football, apart from an incident in the south last season when a rangers fan made a comment to one of our fans who was asian.

Not saying it doesn't happen but I certainly think it's few and far between nowadays and certainly not much if any of a factor in peoples feelings towards maka.

Diclonius
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Not doubting what you have heard, however I have to say it's a long time since I heard any racist comments at the football, apart from an incident in the south last season when a rangers fan made a comment to one of our fans who was asian.

Not saying it doesn't happen but I certainly think it's few and far between nowadays and certainly not much if any of a factor in peoples feelings towards maka.

I have.

A couple of seasons ago the guy behind me had a go at Boruc for being a "Polish *******" or the like. I happen to be one quarter Polish. :bitchy:

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I have.

A couple of seasons ago the guy behind me had a go at Boruc for being a "Polish *******" or the like. I happen to be one quarter Polish. :bitchy:

By that argument though I'm one quarter yam because my grandad was a jambo. I cant say I get upset shout hearts **** at the game:wink:

I appreciate the two aren't the same before I get jumped on

flash
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
The guy used to feign injury and get subbed when the going got tough.
not disputing he is a lovely big guy but thank god he is no longer with us.
oh and before doddie pounces my dogs black.

--------
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
name and shame them Doddie

If they were posting here, it would be obvious.

However, there's a bit of a problem in an auld guy like me (modest, humble, unassuming and a bit of a feartie) going up to someone younger, fitter, and nastier than myself, and supported by probably like-minded mates, and saying to him, "Excuse me, I take exception to your racist abuse, please tell me your name so I can report you...."

I really don't think he'd tell me.

To make what I'm saying absolutely clear - there are undercover Yams on here who post stuff to stir things up and unsettle real Hibs fans. Unfortunately, we're rather to ready to respond, largely because for as long as I've followed Hibs there has been an element of the support who are far too quick to get after their own players, and once they HAVE gone after someone, they don't tend to let up until the guy leaves. This has got worse in resent years, IMO. (And yes, I admit it - I've done it myself in the past.)

In a certain number of cases, that abuse takes the form of racist or ethnic abuse - the black players I've mentioned, Alen Orman for being Serbian, Malkowski for being Polish, and Benji and (less so) Zouma for being Moroccan.

Obviously the better the player is playing, the less likely this is to happen.

But it does happen, and while I agree there was little or no overtly racist abuse of Yves Makalambay on this forum or any other decent football forum, I'm also absolutely certain that some of the non-racist abuse he DID get came from people whose dislike of him had roots in racist prejudices.

Some of us seem to be incapable of forgiving a player a mistake, or even of looking for mistakes to justify criticism and abuse.

This is the case at the stadium too, and I don't think closet Yams are going THAT far to unsettle us.

Toaods
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Swansea? a step up then...he'd be on bigger wages and playing in a undeniably better league, although to be fair to us we did show our class in Europe (didn't we?).

matty_f
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Swansea? a step up then...he'd be on bigger wages and playing in a undeniably better league, although to be fair to us we did show our class in Europe (didn't we?).

Do you think he'd be first choice keeper there?

--------
01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
The guy used to feign injury and get subbed when the going got tough.
not disputing he is a lovely big guy but thank god he is no longer with us.
oh and before doddie pounces my dogs black.

Mine's black and white. Last one was black. One before that was brown and white.

And all absolute honeys.

Maka certainly didn't do that at the beginning, and I'm not convinced about him feigning injury even last season.

Even so - maybe he'd just got brassed off with being a punching-bag for three-quarters of the stadium....

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Even so - maybe he'd just got brassed off with being a punching-bag for three-quarters of the stadium....

Yes, maybe that's why he left. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you think he'd be first choice keeper there?

I wouldn't think you'd go from trialist to 1st choice in the space of a few days. Are Swansea in the championship or League 1?

flash
He did it alright. on at least 3 occasions all after a massive blunder.
he simply wasnt up to it here but heres hoping he makes a decent career in the years ahead.

allezsauzee
Can't believe people are still debating Makalamby's creditials. Capable of great saves, big and very agile....but not brave enough, no mental strength and poor concentration and technique...simples.

Caversham Green
01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't think you'd go from trialist to 1st choice in the space of a few days. Are Swansea in the championship or League 1?

They're Championship and have been close to the promotion play-offs in recent seasons. That'll change now that Brendan Rodgers is at the helm though.

Their first choice keeper seems to be Dorus De Vries - ex Dunfermline wasn't he?

TornadoHibby
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Maka took pelters on here whilst he was with the club and, now he's moved on with a trial with a decent team in progress and the possibilitiy of getting a contract therefore, those who "had a go" on this forum whilst he was here are coming out of the woodwork to repeat the doses for him in (his) absentia! :confused:

Can someone explain why this is considered necessary please and what is the motivation in doing so for those particpating I wonder? :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Maka took pelters on here whilst he was with the club and, now he's moved on with a trial with a decent team in progress and the possibilitiy of getting a contract therefore, those who "had a go" on this forum whilst he was here are coming out of the woodwork to repeat the doses for him in (his) absentia! :confused:

Can someone explain why this is considered necessary please and what is the motivation in doing so for those particpating I wonder? :confused:

These threads only go on for so long due to the handful of folk that continually defend the guy.

Maybe more have turned against him since he left and was mouthing off in the papers?

bawheid
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
These threads only go on for so long due to the handful of folk that continually defend the guy.

Maybe more have turned against him since he left and was mouthing off in the papers?

Last time I think I was still posting on page 9, this time I'm bowing out on page 2.

That's progress. :greengrin

Good luck Maka.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I think it was against Celtic.. Stack was embarrassing. Looked like he had a part in the Keystone Cops. Someone's going to have to remind me of all these "blunders" Maka made and correlate them to the goals he saved us. - I can remember the Aberdeen thing. Anything else that you'd class as a blunder,I would probably class as the sort of thing even world class keepers suffer.:agree:

:confused:

Jones28
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
:worms:

Andy74
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
It's funny how the press, who allegedly have it in for Hibs keepers regardless of how good they are have been pretty quiet on the subject the last year or so.

Dirkster23
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I think it was against Celtic.. Stack was embarrassing. Looked like he had a part in the Keystone Cops. Someone's going to have to remind me of all these "blunders" Maka made and correlate them to the goals he saved us. - I can remember the Aberdeen thing. Anything else that you'd class as a blunder,I would probably class as the sort of thing even world class keepers suffer.:agree:

You must have joined no long after Hibspain was binned, eh :bye:

down the slope
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM

World class !!!, have you ever seen a world class keeper ?, Goram was the best keeper i have ever seen at ER and on his day he must have been one of the best in Europe so Maka was better than him and by some way ?, the mind boggles. For me he was the worst i have ever seen abd there have been a few believe me.

matty_f
01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Stop panicking Mattie... A pint in Ye old Inn is only £2.90!

I still don't think I'll be needing to trouble my wallet!:greengrin

Toaods
01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
i still don't think i'll be needing to trouble my wallet!:greengrin

same old, same old...

TornadoHibby
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
It's funny how the press, who allegedly have it in for Hibs keepers regardless of how good they are have been pretty quiet on the subject the last year or so.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

We can always rely on you Andy to deliver the line that has us all p*ssing our pants! :greengrin

Forgotten, as a single example as I'm not interested in getting involved in what this thread has become, the 6-6 Motherwell game? :wink:

There are others but let's keep the board on current stuff and not try to re-write history again! :cool2: :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Doesn't matter if he was white, black, red, purple or tartan..

He was pish and a ****ing accident waiting to happen!

He used to get applauded from our fans when catching the most BASIC of balls, folk were just that happy he hadn't made a James Hunt of it and opposition fans LOVED it when he was announced as starting..

Plus, the yams sung his song cos he was SOOOO BAD!

Couldn't kick worth a **** either and shat oot it plenty times when the going got tough..

Was on a big wage and cost us a fair penny, we're WELL RID :bye:

Bostonhibby
01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Impersonating a goalkeeper.
:greengrin I think he will get off alright

Part/Time Supporter
01-09-2010, 06:58 PM

What happened to that top three Spanish side that was going to sign him?

:dunno:

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Maka wasn't good enough for us. There's a keeper in there somewhere though.

And before anyone starts on me, I'm no racist, I've got a coloured TV.

easterhib
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Maka had more ability than Stack, the problem was dealing with pressure. You could see that the pressure got the better of Maka, Stack seems steady all the time no matter the game. Maka would have become a good keeper if he had played at a lower level for a while and expectations and pressures were a bit lower. I wish him all the best but fear he will have the same problems at Swansea should he get a contract.

maybe it is our gk coaching to blame.

RickyS
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
What happened to that top three Spanish side that was going to sign him?

:dunno:

maybe Swansea are Barca's feeder team?

silverhibee
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Good luck big man, hope you do well.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Good luck big man, hope you do well.

I dont think anyone wants him to do badly, and if we are honest most of us liked the big man. I just think most of us are happy he's away, and on trial somewhere else?

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Most of your inner circle perhaps. The rest of us are gutted that we're lumbered with the three stoogies.. Well two at least. Brown might prove to be passable in the meantime.:bitchy:

I'm not in BH's Inner Circle (Ooh Er!!) :greengrin, but, I certainly concur with his comments re Maka!

jdships
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I dont think anyone wants him to do badly, and if we are honest most of us liked the big man. I just think most of us are happy he's away, and on trial somewhere else?

You are absolutely right :thumbsup:
I met the "big man" a couple of times and he was an absolute gentleman with a great sense of humour.
OK he didn't "make it " at ER but don't understand people wishing him ill.:confused:
I'm not in BH's Inner Circle either , but, I certainly concur with his comments re Maka!

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Most of your inner circle perhaps. The rest of us are gutted that we're lumbered with the three stoogies.. Well two at least. Brown might prove to be passable in the meantime.:bitchy:

My inner circle? :faf::faf::faf::faf: The rest of you are gutted he was punted, don't worry i hear there is a Maka reunion happening next week. Book your tickets early to avoid disappointment. it could get cramped. the venue will come and pick you all up. http://www.smart.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/mpc-uk-content-Site/-/-/-/Default-Home?csref=smart_en_google_smart_cars_270410&s_kwcid=TC|11297|smart%20cars||S|e|5765947366

Judas Iscariot
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Nice to see you back HibsPain :thumbsup:

down the slope
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM

I'm not gutted, how is it that if he is so good that not one team in Scotland came in for him ?, he must have been seen by every manager in the SPL and some lower div teams as well but as for offers-not a jot.

Andy74
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
:faf: :faf: :faf:

We can always rely on you Andy to deliver the line that has us all p*ssing our pants! :greengrin

Forgotten, as a single example as I'm not interested in getting involved in what this thread has become, the 6-6 Motherwell game? :wink:

There are others but let's keep the board on current stuff and not try to re-write history again! :cool2: :greengrin

I think the odd goalkeeping error has been mentioned in press reports, yes, but it's all gone quiet on the hibs calamity keeper front.

We kept getting told that Maka was only being picked on by the press due to previous keeper problems and that it didn't relfect his pactual performances.

Why then are the current ones not getting hounded? Quite possibly, and this is a stretch here, but it might be to do with the fact that they don't continually make the same simple mistakes time and time again. I haven't gone in to a game for quite some time worrying about whether the keeper might chuck one.

TornadoHibby
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I think the odd goalkeeping error has been mentioned in press reports, yes, but it's all gone quiet on the hibs calamity keeper front.

We kept getting told that Maka was only being picked on by the press due to previous keeper problems and that it didn't relfect his pactual performances.

Why then are the current ones not getting hounded? Quite possibly, and this is a stretch here, but it might be to do with the fact that they don't continually make the same simple mistakes time and time again. I haven't gone in to a game for quite some time worrying about whether the keeper might chuck one.

Can only assume then that you haven't been at any game that Smith has been involved in for some considerable time! :wink: :agree:

The 6-6 Motherwell game was one of the most horrendous Hibs goal-keeping performances I have ever personally seen and actually cost Hibs several goals in one single match something Maka never did! It was also well reported as such by the media generally at the time! :agree:

Don't really see why you posted what you have done as it is almost ignoring what has actually happened re our goalkeepers to, once again, make a point about a player no longer at Hibs and now trying to pursue a career elsewhere! :hmmm: :dunno:

Ed De Gramo
02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Good luck to Maka

10 times better than Smith and got a lot of uncalled for abuse :agree::boo hoo:

--------
02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Can only assume then that you haven't been at any game that Smith has been involved in for some considerable time! :wink: :agree:

The 6-6 Motherwell game was one of the most horrendous Hibs goal-keeping performances I have ever personally seen and actually cost Hibs several goals in one single match something Maka never did! It was also well reported as such by the media generally at the time! :agree:

Don't really see why you posted what you have done as it is almost ignoring what has actually happened re our goalkeepers to, once again, make a point about a player no longer at Hibs and now trying to pursue a career elsewhere! :hmmm: :dunno:

I don't want to keep this going on and on, BUT - none of our present keepers fills me with confidence. None of them IMO are ever going to be any better than they are now - which, IMO is no more than average.

Average SPL material, that is, which probably says it all.

Maka at times got stick for goals attributable to some very duff defending on the part of Rob Jones and Chris Hogg, IMO, which was rather unfair considering that he was (and is) by far the least experienced of the three of them.

Last word - I hope Maka goes on to have a very successful career. I like him, and I think he got a pretty raw deal from a lot of people around Hibs.

Right. I'm done. :bye:

BSEJVT
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't want to keep this going on and on, BUT - none of our present keepers fills me with confidence. None of them IMO are ever going to be any better than they are now - which, IMO is no more than average.

Average SPL material, that is, which probably says it all.

Maka at times got stick for goals attributable to some very duff defending on the part of Rob Jones and Chris Hogg, IMO, which was rather unfair considering that he was (and is) by far the least experienced of the three of them.

Last word - I hope Maka goes on to have a very successful career. I like him, and I think he got a pretty raw deal from a lot of people around Hibs.

Right. I'm done. :bye:

My take on Maka

Right keeper wrong time.

Far too young and inexperienced to absorb flak that was going to come his way after any minute error he made.

I think it gradually crushed him mentally and he did IMO have "bottle trouble" in big games and made most of his errors in them. He also seemed to have non specific injuries as a result.

Is there a keeper in there? Absolutely for me, but he needed to leave and rebuild his confidence out of the glare Hibs goalies are subjected to.

I wish him every success in the future.

IWasThere2016
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Good luck tae the Big Yin! And well said Gramo :thumbsup: