PDA

View Full Version : Does booing help the team?

Barney McGrew
01-09-2010, 06:30 AM
David Wotherspoon doesn't seem to think so (http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3120066/Hibees-fans-have-to-stay-off-the-boos.html)

Wotherspoon, 20, said: "The fans get behind you when you need it but they can be against you when you're not having your own way.Against St Mirren I heard them booing when Derek Riordan was getting subbed. They need to go with the gaffer's decisions and try to get behind the team.

"We were losing 1-0 and I don't think it gave us much confidence when we heard them booing. They need to stick with us and hopefully we can turn things around.Derek is a big fans' favourite so you can understand their booing but you just have to try to put things to one side and try to encourage the team."

Maybe those who constantly give it the big 'I pay my money I can do what I want' could do well with paying attention.

Giving the team pelters doesn't help at the match. Get behind the team when you're there, you can have a go at them on here after the match is finished.

ski1875
01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
I did boo the decision to bring off deek, probably out of frustration, but in general booing my team is a no go. its totally negative, never helps and it makes us look like old firm **** so please don't do it! bein a Hibs supporter means supportin the team thick thin, win lose or draw !

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 06:45 AM
It's all very admirable, but lets be honest here, yogis substitutions are baffling at best. Can you really not get why people are starting to lose the rag.

Rangers game for example, he left us with two defenders on the pitch when we where only one goal down. A minute later surprisingly miller took advantage of the fact we had hogg and bamba alone in defence and scored to make it two nil.

I mean, it beggars belief, and if we don't show our anger at games how will the club ever know we are not happy?

Perhaps the solution would be to stop blaming the fans and start getting it right on the pitch? Novel idea I know:grr:

Gatecrasher
01-09-2010, 06:46 AM
David Wotherspoon doesn't seem to think so (http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3120066/Hibees-fans-have-to-stay-off-the-boos.html)

Wotherspoon, 20, said: "The fans get behind you when you need it but they can be against you when you're not having your own way.Against St Mirren I heard them booing when Derek Riordan was getting subbed. They need to go with the gaffer's decisions and try to get behind the team.

"We were losing 1-0 and I don't think it gave us much confidence when we heard them booing. They need to stick with us and hopefully we can turn things around.Derek is a big fans' favourite so you can understand their booing but you just have to try to put things to one side and try to encourage the team."

Maybe those who constantly give it the big 'I pay my money I can do what I want' could do well with paying attention.

Giving the team pelters doesn't help at the match. Get behind the team when you're there, you can have a go at them on here after the match is finished.

You could have put in bold that whole Paragraph IMO,

I listen to Former players on the radio When doing post match phone ins and they say all the time that booing does the players no good at all - but like you say some people pay their money so they can abuse who they want :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
01-09-2010, 06:48 AM
I listen to Former players on the radio When doing post match phone ins and they say all the time that booing does the players no good at all

You have to remember though, people that have paid their money know much more about it's effect on the guys on the pitch than current and ex-players who've actually experienced it do :wink:

As a wee aside, it's always very refreshing to hear Wotherspoon's thoughts. He's clearly a guy who's comes across as very articulate and mature in the comments he makes.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-09-2010, 06:49 AM
You could have put in bold that whole Paragraph IMO,

I listen to Former players on the radio When doing post match phone ins and they say all the time that booing does the players no good at all - but like you say some people pay their money so they can abuse who they want :rolleyes:

A question surely for the sports scientists and psychologists amongst us I can't believe noone has done a study on the impact on performance so come on all you academics get searching those academic research sites for the proof either way

Hibby D
01-09-2010, 06:49 AM

I fear it's too late for a U-turn.

Fans who boo do so out of frustration; a bit like a bairn greeting when it doesn't get it's own way. By the time they've calmed down it's too late. They've shown themselves up, embarrassed their mother and pissed off everyone within earshot. And they still don't get their lollipop!

And it's getting worse! Over the last couple of years it's become part of the Hibs fans' culture to sing when we're winning and boo when we're not.

Shame really

down-the-slope
01-09-2010, 07:14 AM

Fans who boo do so out of frustration; a bit like a bairn greeting when it doesn't get it's own way. By the time they've calmed down it's too late. They've shown themselves up, embarrassed their mother and pissed off everyone within earshot. And they still don't get their lollipop!

And it's getting worse! Over the last couple of years it's become part of the Hibs fans' culture to sing when we're winning and boo when we're not.

Shame really
:agree: used to be the case that us losing a goal..getting bad desicion against us caused the fans to start a chant / song....getting right behind the team...you could see the lift / extra fight it would put in the players....

Now we lose a goal and the collective groans / booing and you can see the heads go down...should the players be able to lift themselves...probably...but its human nature....think about your reaction to praise / support (even with some correction / instruction) compared to being slagged off / put down / having your work criticised:rolleyes:

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 07:19 AM
:agree: used to be the case that us losing a goal..getting bad desicion against us caused the fans to start a chant / song....getting right behind the team...you could see the lift / extra fight it would put in the players....

Now we lose a goal and the collective groans / booing and you can see the heads go down...should the players be able to lift themselves...probably...but its human nature....think about your reaction to praise / support (even with some correction / instruction) compared to being slagged off / put down / having your work criticised:rolleyes:

While I admit that the usual cmon hibs after a goal against has been missing recently I can't recall any booing after losing a goal???

I do think we should get the cmon hibs back though as it does help.

marinello59
01-09-2010, 07:22 AM

Shame really

:agree:
I always felt that fans up here were quicker to get on their teams back than was the case down in England. Now it seems like the threshold at which booing starts has fallen even lower.

Captain Trips
01-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont believe it bothers them too much, why would a player say anything else when talking anyway, we have played matches with great support and still seen dreadful performances.

marinello59
01-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I dont believe it bothers them too much, why would a player say anything else when talking anyway, we have played matches with great support and still seen dreadful performances.

So is your argument that the support doesn't make any difference either way then?:confused:

Green_one
01-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Its all the fans fault!!!v :confused:

Seem to remember that he and his chums were 1-0 down before that booing and had produced a second rate performance well before any booing.

OK booing is not great -- but a substitutution? No I do not always have to go along with a managers decisions. Frankly his substitutions are very poor.

Anyone who has even played park football knows you get abuse. Toughen up!!!

What next - 'opposing fans nasty to me'

marinello59
01-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Seem to remember that he and his chums were 1-0 down before that booing and had produced a second rate performance well before any booing.

OK booing is not great -- but a substitutution? No I do not always have to go along with a managers decisions. Frankly his substitutions are very poor.

Anyone who has even played park football knows you get abuse. Toughen up!!!

What next - 'opposing fans nasty to me'

Nobody is saying that. Defensive maybe?:greengrin

As for the rest of your post, are you suggesting that booing is not going to help improve performance but is justified or are you saying it can positively improve the players performance?

Barney McGrew
01-09-2010, 07:49 AM

He doesn't say that. He said it didn't give them much confidence when the booing started.

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2010, 07:51 AM

As a point the fans only booed when the substitution was made, to reiterate that they thought Yogi had lost the plot....... At no other point was there any booing, and using that as an excuse for an insipid display gets on my goat........ That said I hate when the team are booed also:rolleyes:

Captain Trips
01-09-2010, 07:54 AM
So is your argument that the support doesn't make any difference either way then?:confused:

No im saying it doesnt have as much afect as some think. As I said we have supported the team and they havent been very good, its all to do with the players attitude on the day firstly.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 07:55 AM
As a point the fans only booed when the substitution was made, to reiterate that they thought Yogi had lost the plot....... At no other point was there any booing, and using that as an excuse for an insipid display gets on my goat........ That said I hate when the team are booed also:rolleyes:

well said, a god balanced view on this point for once!!

Barney McGrew
01-09-2010, 08:00 AM
at no other point was there any booing, and using that as an excuse for an insipid display gets on my goat........ That said I hate when the team are booed also:rolleyes:

That's the point though - the substitution at Love Street is used as an example, but it's certainly not an isolated incident. It's something that seems to be getting more and more common at Hibs games these days.

Regardless of what people think of Yogi, it ain't helping the eleven guys in green that are on the pitch at that point in time.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 08:01 AM
That's the point though - the substitution at Love Street is used as an example, but it's certainly not an isolated incident. It's something that seems to be getting more and more common at Hibs games these days.

Regardless of what people think of Yogi, it ain't helping the eleven guys in green that are on the pitch at that point in time.

Are yogis decisions helping the eleven players on the pitch at the time?

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2010, 08:03 AM

Yes I agree with this, but DW was saying it never gave Hibs confidence at Paisley when losing 1-0..... So he is saying the booing hindered Hibs performance on Sunday, which is unfair......

Yes booing is negative, and I hate when it happens, but I feel Sunday was a reaction to Yogi, and not at the players...

(((Fergus)))
01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Is DW just being commendably but blindly loyal to his manager?

If booing helps the team to lose games, then aren't we one step closer to a new and potentially competent manager and therefore one step closer to better team performances?

Sometimes things have to come to a head before they get better?

MSK
01-09-2010, 08:38 AM

The fans boo'd the decision to replace Riordan !! absolutley nothing new in this big world of football, ive witnessed fans up & down the country showing their displeasure by means of "booing" when they feel the wrong player has been replaced so what's the big deal here, does Wotherspoon expect the fans to applaud the decision..?...it's a two way street as far as im concerned, fans applaud the team when things are going well & are more than justified to show displeasure if the Boss makes a **** up !!

The fans that travelled to Paisley should have received a massive round of applause by players & management for having to endure 90 minutes of utter ***** ..!!

Saorsa
01-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes I agree with this, but DW was saying it never gave Hibs confidence at Paisley when losing 1-0..... So he is saying the booing hindered Hibs performance on Sunday, which is unfair......

Yes booing is negative, and I hate when it happens, but I feel Sunday was a reaction to Yogi, and not at the players...Exactly and why wouldn't they boo the decision tae take off the player likely tae be best chance we had tae score. I agree the supporters should get behind the team when at games but as far as supporting the continuing half baked decisions by Hughes, why should they.

Speedway
01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
It's important to remember that when you boo Hibs, you support the opposition.

In a derby match, this makes you a Yam.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
It's important to remember that when you boo Hibs, you support the opposition.

In a derby match, this makes you a Yam.

:greengrin aye good try

MB62
01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Spoony needs to get a grip himself and start concentrating on his own performances, which IMO have been well below par so far this season.

A blind man could see that the fans displeasure was directed at our manager taking off a player who was probably the most likely man to grab us a goal, even if it was only going to be from a free-kick.
To take off a striker of Deeks ability when we are a goal behind and then replace him with a defender come midfield player, is absolutely baffling to put it mildly.

The manager has since admitted that our other (past) striker was not doing the business as his mind was elsewhere, as the player himself admitted, so taking off Deeks was an even stranger decision.

I think Yogi should stick to managing pubs as he is making a James Hunt of managing Hibs. :brickwall:
Only my opinion of course.

discman
01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Spoony needs to get a grip himself and start concentrating on his own performances, which IMO have been well below par so far this season.

A blind man could see that the fans displeasure was directed at our manager taking off a player who was probably the most likely man to grab us a goal, even if it was only going to be from a free-kick.
To take off a striker of Deeks ability when we are a goal behind and then replace him with a defender come midfield player, is absolutely baffling to put it mildly.

The manager has since admitted that our other (past) striker was doing the business as his mind was elsewhere, as the player himself admitted, so taking off Deeks was an even stranger decision.

I think Yogi should stick to managing pubs as he is making a James Hunt of managing Hibs. :brickwall:

According to everybody and their dog they knew Stokes was going to celtic before he had even signed, ergo hes always had them on his mind and not fully focusing on hibs, so we really shouldnt of signed him then??

Heres a novel idea the worse were playing the louder we chant maybes the "12th man idea" will kickin, it may give our team a lift, maybe inspire them, not too difficult to get yer head round.:grr:

And as for the sub, a toss up Stokesy scored more goals than Deeks, Stokesy has never scored more goals for anyone than yogis,fact, not unreasonable for yogi to think he might want to go out wi a bang, shame it didnae happen.

And just while am onit, glad hes gone and we start getting a team that plays there bollocks for our jersey!!!!

Shrekko
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Some Hibs fans have been an absolute disgrace the past 6-7 years in terms of lack of vocal support and how quickly they turn on their own team. I heard folk booing against Maribor within 20 minutes of our first home game of the season. I dont think there's any doubt whatsoever that we must be one of the most difficult sets of fans in the country to play in front of.

Anyone who seriously thinks constant abuse actually helps in ANY way is an absolute idiot IMO.

Maybe players should be able to deal with it, but that doesnt mean it helps the club we support and the only way it is in any way justfied is when a player is not trying. The "I pay my money" brigade are in general imbeciles- by implication they're paying money for the privilige of abusing players from the sidelines.

MSK
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Some Hibs fans have been an absolute disgrace the past 6-7 years in terms of lack of vocal support and how quickly they turn on their own team. I heard folk booing against Maribor within 20 minutes of our first home game of the season. I dont think there's any doubt whatsoever that we must be one of the most difficult sets of fans in the country to play in front of.

Anyone who seriously thinks constant abuse actually helps in ANY way is an absolute idiot IMO.

Maybe players should be able to deal with it, but that doesnt mean it helps the club we support and the only way it is in any way justfied is when a player is not trying. The "I pay my money" brigade are in general imbeciles- by implication they're paying money for the privilige of abusing players from the sidelines.I thought the thread was about Wotherspoon questioning the booing during a substitution ..if so why are you going off in a tangent ..?...:confused:

Hainan Hibs
01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Sums up the main problem at Hibs. A team full of wimps. "Men are saying boo to me :boo hoo::boo hoo::".

Man the **** up and get on with it.

Hibby D
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Maybe players should be able to deal with it, but that doesnt mean it helps the club we support and the only way it is in any way justfied is when a player is not trying. The "I pay my money" brigade are in general imbeciles- by implication they're paying money for the privilige of abusing players from the sidelines.

I agree :agree:

Shrekko
01-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought the thread was about Wotherspoon questioning the booing during a substitution ..if so why are you going off in a tangent ..?...:confused:

Look at the thread title. I really dont think what I've said is irrelevant in context.

Green_one
01-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Nobody is saying that. Defensive maybe?:greengrin

As for the rest of your post, are you suggesting that booing is not going to help improve performance but is justified or are you saying it can positively improve the players performance?

I was saying that professional footballers should be above crowd reaction and certainly people booing the managers decision on substitutes!!

If we all sat in stoney silence would his performance improve? The proof is that there was no booing up to the substitution and Spooney and pals were still ****. What put them off, a bag of crisps being crunched? God help them when they go to Ibrox.

I see threads where people say ' do not boo Thomson/Stokes/ Caldwell etc because it just makes them play better'. All very confusing.

I know fans love to think they are the 12th man but apart from some exceptional circumstances the average game is seldom impacted by supporters. Just as well given the average noise at ER. Sweety paper level usually.

Cabbage1875
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM

The manager has since admitted that our other (past) striker was doing the business as his mind was elsewhere, as the player himself admitted, so taking off Deeks was an even stranger decision.

Bang. End of thread for me, absolutely spot on.:top marks

silverhibee
01-09-2010, 10:21 PM

Yes booing is negative, and I hate when it happens, but I feel Sunday was a reaction to Yogi, and not at the players...

Totally agree BF.

And what was DW excuse for the first 70mins of the game, the lad was dire and must have been amazed it wasn't him that got subbed, worst game i have seen him play, booing the players is wrong, booing the manager for taking of Deek was justified imo. I have lost all faith in Yogi now, a defeat in our next game and the writing is on the wall for the manager. Sacked.

Riordans Boots
01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=silverhibee;2566014]Totally agree BF.

And what was DW excuse for the first 70mins of the game, the lad was dire and must have been amazed it wasn't him that got subbed, worst game i have seen him play, booing the players is wrong, booing the manager for taking of Deek was justified imo. I have lost all faith in Yogi now, a defeat in our next game and the writing is on the wall for the manager. Sacked.

You got hiccups silver :greengrin

I agree to an extent booing at a decision being made during play - whether it's the ref, a foul or whatever ... and we've all booed at bad decisions :agree: However, I have never booed at Hibs - why kick a man when he's down :bitchy:

AgentDaleCooper
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM

when? :confused:

AgentDaleCooper
01-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I thought the thread was about Wotherspoon questioning the booing during a substitution ..if so why are you going off in a tangent ..?...:confused:

the title of the thread is "does booing the team help?", so i think RichH's response is perfectly in context...:dunno:

monktonharp
01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
As a point the fans only booed when the substitution was made, to reiterate that they thought Yogi had lost the plot....... At no other point was there any booing, and using that as an excuse for an insipid display gets on my goat........ That said I hate when the team are booed also:rolleyes::agree:the booing was directed at the manager,for his substitutions,which made the team play a lot worse,possibly the players could neither understand the fans,or the manager. it looked like it

jabis
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I did boo the decision to bring off deek, probably out of frustration, but in general booing my team is a no go. its totally negative, never helps and it makes us look like old firm **** so please don't do it! bein a Hibs supporter means supportin the team thick thin, win lose or draw !

is it just me....or do some people need to grow up.

not just this post,but the general "toys out the pram " brigade.

Anyone does it near me,(slagging off Hibs)and when I get back from the match,I'll lay into them(on the computer of course)

would LOVE to see all the twats booing Hibs,with Yogi standing next to them !

Mikeystewart
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
from a purely non professional point of view being criticized but encouraged is better than being just criticized.

silverhibee
01-09-2010, 11:12 PM
is it just me....or do some people need to grow up.

not just this post,but the general "toys out the pram " brigade.

Anyone does it near me,(slagging off Hibs)and when I get back from the match,I'll lay into them(on the computer of course)

would LOVE to see all the twats booing Hibs,with Yogi standing next to them !

I booed the decision to take Deek of on Sunday, and if the manager was standing next to me i would have booed louder just to make sure he knew i was getting my point over to him, and if he had a rant at me he would be lying on his backside.:cool2:

Mikeystewart
01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
also unrelated to the- topic agentdalecooper nearly finished watching twin peaks just now marvellous show hasnt aged a day ;-)

MB62
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Heres a novel idea the worse were playing the louder we chant maybes the "12th man idea" will kickin, it may give our team a lift, maybe inspire them, not too difficult to get yer head round.:grr:

So if we are playing well, we don't bother chanting at all? strange suggestion!

And as for the sub, a toss up Stokesy scored more goals than Deeks, Stokesy has never scored more goals for anyone than yogis,fact, not unreasonable for yogi to think he might want to go out wi a bang, shame it didnae happen.

That's obviously exactly what Yogi thought, and therefore gave him a chance. However, as I said in my previous post, both manager and player admitted it didn't work, so when the manager has realised this during the course of the game, why did he take of our other main goalscoring threat, especially from dead ball situations. There was also one other 'striker' (?) on the park for us that day that contributed probably less then either Stokes or Deeks and who would have been a better candidate for the hook IMO.

And just while am onit, glad hes gone and we start getting a team that plays there bollocks for our jersey!!!!

Don't you think you are contradicting yourself a wee bit here?

To get back to the original point of the thread, booing players or the team is certainly not helpful to them (poor wee souls might get upset) and it's something I have seldom done in all my years. However, again, as I previously mentioned, I don't think the booing was directed at the players rather than yet another baffling substitution our manager made.

We draw 6-6 away at Motherwell and he blames our strikers for losing six goals :confused:

Maybe he is intending to write a book once his football management career is over,

YOGI BARES ALL

STUPID SUBSTITUTIONS AND COMMENTS I HAVE MADE - FULLY EXPLAINED

Should be a belter and could run in to many volumes.

Hibbyradge
02-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Booing is destructive. Always.

Same applies to shouting abuse at your own players.

Wotherspoon was affected enough by it to make comment in the press.

Maybe he didn't realise it was being directed at the manager. It seems that, at the tender age of 20, he is not only expected to rise above all critisism and booing, he should be able to read minds too.

Why should players be expected to rise above the crowd's behaviour anyway?

Few, if any folk on here, would be able to do that.

It's a brilliant rejection of all responsibility though, isn't it?

We can scream abuse at you, insult your family, your wife and wish you the most painful of deaths, but because I pay a minuscule part of your salary, you must "rise above it".

Nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Maybe he didn't realise it was being directed at the manager. It seems that, at the tender age of 20, he is not only expected to rise above all critisism and booing, he should be able to read minds too.

We can scream abuse at you, insult your family, your wife and wish you the most painful of deaths, but because I pay a minuscule part of your salary, you must "rise above it".

Nonsense.

:top marks :agree:

MB62
02-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I think this is an absolutely ridiculous thread and a daft comment from Spoony too.
You don't have to be Einstein to figure out giving somebody in your own team abuse of any description is not helpful, there's no need to even ask that question or make the point in the media.
Football however is a game of emotion, both positive and negative and sometimes frustration gets the better of folk, even players on the park would you believe! It is something that is going to happen long after we have all departed this earth and it's not just something peculiar to Hibs fans either.

silverhibee
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Nonsense.

The game had stopped to make subs, it was obvious who the fans were booing at, and young David knew exactly who the fans were booing and it wasn't the players. Also didn't hear anything being directed at DW.

MSK
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
the title of the thread is "does booing the team help?", so i think RichH's response is perfectly in context...:dunno:Wotherspoon was complaining about fans booing when they disagreed with a substitution...he wasnt complaining about fans booing the team for 90 min's, that certainly did not happen..yes a few mumps & moans but that was about it ..if anything the atmosphere in the hibs end was pretty flat at times..much like Wotherspoon & his team mates performance on the pitch....

Alex Trager
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM

I used to love winding the huns and tims up by singing you only sing when you're winning, but now it applys to us aswell...shame really, it was one of the reasons i fell in love with the club

Alex Trager
02-09-2010, 10:15 AM
The game had stopped to make subs, it was obvious who the fans were booing at, and young David knew exactly who the fans were booing and it wasn't the players. Also didn't hear anything being directed at DW.
But still its no confidence boost that we're booing at the man he trusts in making the right decisions in expannding the young lads career and helping the cub reach the destinations he has been told they're going

Alex Trager
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Wotherspoon was complaining about fans booing when they disagreed with a substitution...he wasnt complaining about fans booing the team for 90 min's, that certainly did not happen..yes a few mumps & moans but that was about it ..if anything the atmosphere in the hibs end was pretty flat at times..much like Wotherspoon & his team mates performance on the pitch....
Also the question was does it help the team, and the evidence to back the op's point up was, wotherspoon in the media, which was aimed at booing altogther not just when the wrong subs are being made. now its clear you's didn't boo them for ninety minutes-we never do- but its for short bursts during ANY ninety minutes david's talking about aswell

--------
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Shame really

:top marks

It's been getting worse and worse the past few years, D. Our managers get (on average) about 18 months to deliver. Then the fans start to get on their backs. It's normal for us to sign up a player and before the ink's dry, a thread appears on here telling everyone that he's rubbish - he hasn't played for us, the posters haven't seen him EVER, and he's only just said how pleased he is to have signed for us and he's being rubbished in public by "Hibs supporters". Darryl Duffy and Francis Dickoh are cases in point.

This flows over into the stadium - and guess what, the guy doesn't give his best to the team. Not surprising, given he was being written off by the "experts" who spout that they "only want the very best for our great club" along with all the rest of their BS.

It's as if there's a whole section of the support who feel they're entitled to instant fulfillment of all their 'wants' - the Scottish Cup, splitting the OF, beating Hearts every game, excelling in Europe every season, spending big bucks on "Hibs class" players, yadda yadda yadda....

Guess what, guys - it don't happen that way in football. My own opinion - Yogi needs to settle down and keep things simple; his main fault in my eyes is that he tends to complicate things in his tactics and selections. If he only keeps things simple, I reckon the team WILL gel.

The stadium's complete. The training ground is up and running. Young players are beginning to come through to the first team. We just signed Michael Hart, David Stephens, Edwin De Graaf, Darryl Duffy, Francis Dickoh, and Jonathan Grounds in the window. These are actually signs of progress, surely? (And yup, I have my questions, too. But on balance, surely....)

Of course booing doesn't help the team. Active discouragement and abuse never helps anyone to do his or her job well.

Why on earth would anyone ever think it does? :rolleyes:

MSK
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Also the question was does it help the team, and the evidence to back the op's point up was, wotherspoon in the media, which was aimed at booing altogther not just when the wrong subs are being made. now its clear you's didn't boo them for ninety minutes-we never do- but its for short bursts during ANY ninety minutes david's talking about aswellI know what DW is saying Sean..however this aint a new thing..not at hibs ..not anywhere in football, hibs fans were frustrated on Sunday..not just at the sub/subs but at a very inept display by players we know can & should have performed much better, hibs fans shelled out a lot of money to watch that rubbish & were let down big style ..perhaps DW is better concentrating in doing what he is paid to do on the park instead of getting involved in what fans say or do at matches..(remember Nish didnt exactly cover himself in glory after a rant at hibs fans)

Im sure if DW sticks to his side of the deal the hibs fans will do their bit..we all want the same thing after all ...

basehibby
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Shame really

That's maybe the case sometimes - but I reckon that some regular boo-ers/hecklers are simply stupid inadequate fuds who want to be the centre of attention and think that booing will make them look hard/knowledgeable/or something.

I've definately noticed that this tendency has been on the increase over the last ten years or so. Maybe because having had a good classy side to watch a couple of times over that period (McLeish/Mowbray periods mainly) some younger or more goldfish brained fans have got complacent and forgotten what it really means to SUPPORT your side?!?

Antifa Hibs
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
It's not a Hibs thing, but a Scottish thing.

Worst fans in the continent by far.

basehibby
02-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I know what DW is saying Sean..however this aint a new thing..not at hibs ..not anywhere in football, hibs fans were frustrated on Sunday..not just at the sub/subs but at a very inept display by players we know can & should have performed much better, hibs fans shelled out a lot of money to watch that rubbish & were let down big style ..perhaps DW is better concentrating in doing what he is paid to do on the park instead of getting involved in what fans say or do at matches..(remember Nish didnt exactly cover himself in glory after a rant at hibs fans)

Im sure if DW sticks to his side of the deal the hibs fans will do their bit..we all want the same thing after all ...

Aye - but Nish was more right than he was wrong - sometimes the truth hurts and so he had to apologise. Personally, I didn't blame him for his comments given some of the utter garbage I've had to listen to from fellow supporters at ER - it's painful enough just having to listen to it - having it directed at you personally would be intolerable for many - Nish let slip his anger with a throwaway remark - big deal - if ye canny take it don't dish it out!

Dinkydoo
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Booing during the game doesn't help, after the game doesny help either but at least it doesn't affect the players confidence whilst they are playing.

If you were having a bad day at your work and were making lots of silly mistakes would it help if your employer started shouting boo in your ear? Or would it just make you more pissed off?

After all, they pay your wages eh :rolleyes:

basehibby
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I was saying that professional footballers should be above crowd reaction and certainly people booing the managers decision on substitutes!!

If we all sat in stoney silence would his performance improve? The proof is that there was no booing up to the substitution and Spooney and pals were still ****. What put them off, a bag of crisps being crunched? God help them when they go to Ibrox.

I see threads where people say ' do not boo Thomson/Stokes/ Caldwell etc because it just makes them play better'. All very confusing.

I know fans love to think they are the 12th man but apart from some exceptional circumstances the average game is seldom impacted by supporters. Just as well given the average noise at ER. Sweety paper level usually.

That's because at the average game (certainly Hibs matches these days anyway) the average supporter sits on his erchie and thinks "I cannae be ersed singing - I'll just wait here to be entertained"
When a good crowd gets up for a game properly though it can make the hairs on the back of yer neck stand on end - so don't you think that might just have a teensy wee bit effect on the players as well??? It's not like they're playing in a bubble afterall.
I've never played football in front of a crowd but I've played a lot of live music and I know from experience that if a crowd is up for it you up your own game accordingly - it's not a particularly conscious thing - the andrenaline flows and you just feed off each other.

MB62
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
That's because at the average game (certainly Hibs matches these days anyway) the average supporter sits on his erchie and thinks "I cannae be ersed singing - I'll just wait here to be entertained"
When a good crowd gets up for a game properly though it can make the hairs on the back of yer neck stand on end - so don't you think that might just have a teensy wee bit effect on the players as well??? It's not like they're playing in a bubble afterall.

Well if it does have an effect, it doesn't look like a positive one. Against the OF and Yams last season, the games where the atmosphere is generally excellent our record is poor.

P W D L F A Pts

12 1 3 7 9 18 6

Maybe we do play better when it's quiet :greengrin

Hibby D
02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
It's not a Hibs thing, but a Scottish thing.

Worst fans in the continent by far.

I disagree AH - very rarely have I witnessed fans of other SPL clubs turning on their team as quickly or as frequently as Hibs fans (and I do go to all home and most away games)

I've also travelled quite a fair bit for Scotland games and again witnessed some totally inept performances. But never have I stood amongst the Tartan Army as they booed indivudual players or performances to the extent that Hibs fans do.

Nope I believe we're leaps and bounds ahead of most of our competitors :agree:

bawheid
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I booed the decision to take Deek of on Sunday, and if the manager was standing next to me i would have booed louder just to make sure he knew i was getting my point over to him, and if he had a rant at me he would be lying on his backside.:cool2:

:rolleyes:

IMO clan Riordan needs to wind its collective neck in and stop dwelling on what might or might not have happend in the dressing room on Sunday.

Hughes isn't going anywhere fast so we'd be as well all knuckling down and getting on with it. No?

Wilson
02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
He is showing his youth and inexperience there.

When he is a seasoned pro he'll be able to confirm that booing absolutely helps the team. Not only that but that a constant stream of abuse at a player who is already struggling is no better motivator.

Anyway, I expect more from Spoony than a Morais-esque tendancy to show more bite in the press than he has ever done on the park.

It is like he doesn't know that I hod-carry bricks barefoot over broken glass for minimum wage to afford my ST - therefore I am entitled to do and say as I please.

Silly rabbit.

Holmesdale Hibs
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
:agree:
I always felt that fans up here were quicker to get on their teams back than was the case down in England. Now it seems like the threshold at which booing starts has fallen even lower.

I agree with the exception of Newcastle fans who seem to moan more than us and Aberdeen combined.

Other than Hibs, the only other team I watch on a regular basis is Millwall. The attendances and stadium are similar to ours but the atmosphere is a lot better. Last time I watched Millwall I went with a jambo who said the atmosphere was a lot better than the PBS as well.

Back to the point of the post, does booing help the team? No. I wouldn’t question a supporters right to say what they want (within reason) but I would say it doesn’t help the team. Booing\abuse will knock a players confidence which will naturally affect performance. Shouts of ‘**** you’re pash etc’ are common at ER and achieve nothing. So long as a player is giving 100% we should be supporting them. If they are not good enough then its up to the manager to replace them.

--------
02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I disagree AH - very rarely have I witnessed fans of other SPL clubs turning on their team as quickly or as frequently as Hibs fans (and I do go to all home and most away games)

I've also travelled quite a fair bit for Scotland games and again witnessed some totally inept performances. But never have I stood amongst the Tartan Army as they booed indivudual players or performances to the extent that Hibs fans do.

Ah well - at least we lead the League in one thing, then. :rolleyes:

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Would you actually be able to hear the opposing fans shouting some abuse at there own players?

The only time you hear the other fans is if they all sing in unison, I can never make out the odd shout from the fans:confused:

I do think a few ubers are really making something out of nothing with this thread!

marinello59
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Would you actually be able to hear the opposing fans shouting some abuse at there own players?

The only time you hear the other fans is if they all sing in unison, I can never make out the odd shout from the fans:confused:

I do think a few ubers are really making something out of nothing with this thread!

Why argue the point properly when you can throw out lazy cheap shots at those who disagree with your own viewpoint?

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Why argue the point properly when you can throw out lazy cheap shots at those who disagree with your own viewpoint?

:rotflmao: aye cos no one on the other side of the argument has done that in this thread. I have never read so many posts slating our own support with so little fact to back them up.

marinello59
02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
:rotflmao: aye cos no one on the other side of the argument has done that in this thread. I have never read so many posts slating our own support with so little fact to back them up.

Awwwwwwwww. Did the nasty football fan strike a nerve. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Back to the point of the post, does booing help the team? No. I wouldn’t question a supporters right to say what they want (within reason) but I would say it doesn’t help the team. Booing\abuse will knock a players confidence which will naturally affect performance. Shouts of ‘**** you’re pash etc’ are common at ER and achieve nothing. So long as a player is giving 100% we should be supporting them. If they are not good enough then its up to the manager to replace them.

Yes and it was Einstein who say madness is repeating the same thing over expecting a different result. Stick that in you pavlovian smoking dog all you hibee abusers ;)

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Awwwwwwwww. Did the nasty football fan strike a nerve. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :wink:

now did that booooooooo not make you feel better?:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes and it was Einstein who say madness is repeating the same thing over expecting a different result. Stick that in you pavlovian smoking dog all you hibee abusers ;)

Are you talking about cheering or booing because it could apply to both:wink:

marinello59
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
now did that booooooooo not make you feel better?:greengrin

:greengrin

--------
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM

I think D backed up her opinions with facts very well. And I'm speaking from experience of games going back 45 years.

There is a sour atmosphere and a lot of sour attitudes at ER these days, and one result seems to be that on average our managers last 2 years at best. We appear to have got ourselves into a situation where a fair number of fans aren't prepared to give either managers or players any time at all to settle in.

What possible advantage is there in booing or abusing our own players and coaches? The glass for too many of us is ALWAYS less than half-full IMO.

I want to enjoy going to games. That hasn't been easy lately, regardless of how the team's been performing.

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I think D backed up her opinions with facts very well. And I'm speaking from experience of games going back 45 years.

There is a sour atmosphere and a lot of sour attitudes at ER these days, and one result seems to be that on average our managers last 2 years at best. We appear to have got ourselves into a situation where a fair number of fans aren't prepared to give either managers or players any time at all to settle in.

What possible advantage is there in booing or abusing our own players and coaches? The glass for too many of us is ALWAYS less than half-full IMO.

I want to enjoy going to games. That hasn't been easy lately, regardless of how the team's been performing.

You see this gets my goat. I never said D didn't present. Any facts, I just asked some questions about her post. I then made a general comment about the whole thread which I stand by.

Why 45 years is important I am unsure, everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how long they have been a fan.

I also don't like the way people are made to look like non supporters and sometimes even bampots because they are not happyclappers.

I just don't think hibs fans are as bad as many on here like to make out. I do however think we have high expectations and that shouldn't ever change.

Captain Trips
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
when? :confused:

Several times v Hearts for starters when the players come out every one to man usually is up cheering, Ive seen it great support and a p1ss poor performance.

marinello59
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Several times v Hearts for starters when the players come out every one to man usually is up cheering, Ive seen it great support and a p1ss poor performance.

What is the point you are to make here? Shouldn't we bother then? Doesn't having a good support increase the chances of the team being lifted to perform better?

marinello59
02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
You see this gets my goat. I never said D didn't present. Any facts, I just asked some questions about her post. I then made a general comment about the whole thread which I stand by.

Why 45 years is important I am unsure, everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how long they have been a fan.

I also don't like the way people are made to look like non supporters and sometimes even bampots because they are not happyclappers.

I just don't think hibs fans are as bad as many on here like to make out. I do however think we have high expectations and that shouldn't ever change.

Happy Clapper? Why do you assume that somebody who doesn't boo is a happy clapper. That is quite a leap to make.:confused:

Captain Trips
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
What is the point you are to make here? Shouldn't we bother then? Doesn't having a good support increase the chances of the team being lifted to perform better?

I was asked when have we supported the team and the team hasnt played well, I stated it has happened lots of times and at every club. My point I thought was clear we do not have as much influence over results as some may think, of course we should support the team. I am also sure there has been a p1ss poor atmosphere at ER and we have played well.

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Happy Clapper? Why do you assume that somebody who doesn't boo is a happy clapper. That is quite a leap to make.:confused:

Why can't I make assumptions yet the other side of the argument can?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Are you talking about cheering or booing because it could apply to both:wink:

Every genius has their flaws ;)
Einstein was in the happy clappers camp of hibeedom so to put onto context wa referring to the abusful scoundrels ;)

bighairyfaeleith
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Every genius has their flaws ;)
Einstein was in the happy clappers camp of hibeedom so to put onto context wa referring to the abusful scoundrels ;)

:greengrin aye I disagree about einstein though, he also said this

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

which just goes to prove,even geniuses talk absolute pish:wink:

RIP
03-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Here's my take - feel free to attack, dismiss or ignore as you will

I agree with Di, George and others - I am totally fed up hearing Hibs fans boo or abuse our own team or manager at matches
I stood at Carlisle and Maribor and heard booing from 10mins in - all from so called fans with no colours
Maybe they were Yams - might as well been for all the supporting they were doing
However at the Huns game it was different - the Singing section saw to that
At Easter Road I detect a backlash against the boo boys
There's a fledgling 12thMan campaign. It's small at the moment but has several hundred supporters and a few activists
These guys are the brave ones who WILL try and sing when we are losing
However they need to band together - there's no point in these like-minded souls being spread out all over the stadium. We need guys like SeanDuff and co in the Singing Section
When a club has a loud, vocal, positive support it's a lot harder to hear individual abuse or boos
The culture can change and the atmosphere can improve
This will only happen if the people who really care about supporting the team get together and show the rest the way. It makes the whole "Supporting The Team" experience more enjoyable

I don't see booing and player abuse as a massive problem - but one that the majority of us should be trying a lot harder to stamp out. We need to get a lot braver AT THE MATCH - not just on our keyboards

bawheid
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Here's my take - feel free to attack, dismiss or ignore as you will

I agree with Di, George and others - I am totally fed up hearing Hibs fans boo or abuse our own team or manager at matches
I stood at Carlisle and Maribor and heard booing from 10mins in - all from so called fans with no colours
Maybe they were Yams - might as well been for all the supporting they were doing
However at the Huns game it was different - the Singing section saw to that
At Easter Road I detect a backlash against the boo boys
There's a fledgling 12thMan campaign. It's small at the moment but has several hundred supporters and a few activists
These guys are the brave ones who WILL try and sing when we are losing
However they need to band together - there's no point in these like-minded souls being spread out all over the stadium. We need guys like SeanDuff and co in the Singing Section
When a club has a loud, vocal, positive support it's a lot harder to hear individual abuse or boos
The culture can change and the atmosphere can improve
This will only happen if the people who really care about supporting the team get together and show the rest the way. It makes the whole "Supporting The Team" experience more enjoyable

I don't see booing and player abuse as a massive problem - but one that the majority of us should be trying a lot harder to stamp out. We need to get a lot braver AT THE MATCH - not just on our keyboards

:top marks

erin go bragh
03-09-2010, 09:42 PM

spot on mate:top marksbe better to stay at home than go to the game and boo