PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Grounds signs on loan (official)

HIBERNIAN 1875
31-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Is signing on loan from Middlesborough. You heard it here first :wink:

down the slope
31-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Who is he, i have no grounds to believe you !.

HIBERNIAN 1875
31-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Who is he, i have no grounds to believe you !.
Don't know what position he is, but he's a highly rated youngster at Boro....

HFC 0-7
31-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Would definately take him, left back, big guy who can score goals as well.

mikey1875
31-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Is signing on loan from Middlesborough. You heard it here first :wink:

could be a decent signing

degenerated
31-08-2010, 02:22 PM
left back as well, that would be a blessing giving we dont actually seem to have one just now.

sparkiehibs
http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/jonathan-grounds-middlesbrough_70610_40806

Lincoln Green
Just been talking to a Leicester Youth Coach and he said that this guy was on his way to Hibs. Apparently Leicester were scouting him last year.

No idea if he's any good though? :confused:

HIBERNIAN 1875
31-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Deal is definitely going through as we speak.... I am led to believe Grounds is at East Mains just now along with Dickoh completing a medical.

hibeeleicester
Just been talking to a Leicester Youth Coach and he said that this guy was on his way to Hibs. Apparently Leicester were scouting him last year.

No idea if he's any good though? :confused:

What youth coach and where in leicester are you? :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
I'd take that - a big left back with a smattering of Premiership experience.

Yup :agree:

Now, a striker and our transfer window won't have been quite so calamatious as it first appeared.

P.S. assuming we don't lose Bamba and this Grounds fellow really is coming.

Corstorphine Hibby
31-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Here you go!

http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/jonathan-grounds-middlesbrough_70610_40806

Says on his profile he went to St Patricks School........ Corrie Greens will be pleased.........

GloryGlory
31-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Deal done according to this:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2010/08/31/taylor-and-grounds-complete-loan-deals-84229-27172145/

DH1875
31-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds good. Hope it's no a wind up.

HIBERNIAN 1875
31-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Did I not tell you so :wink:

matty_f
31-08-2010, 02:55 PM
It's a problem position, good to see it looks like it's being addressed.

random sub
31-08-2010, 02:57 PM
good one- hope he grounds himself at Easter Road for the rest of the season

phoenixfire
31-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Just had a look at the Boro message boards no one is sorry to see him go
Bristol fans seem delighted to see the back of Duffy
and our Dutch defender voted the worst player in the league its all a bit worrying
still maybe Hughes knows what hes doing:confused:

Hibs90
31-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Any idea how long for? Just says on that article it's temporary?

EskbankHibby
31-08-2010, 03:04 PM
The new Murphy anyone? We need to give this boy a chance if he comes, young player in problem area of the park with Premiership experience, exactly what we should be looking for imo.

HenryMonk
31-08-2010, 03:07 PM
HIBERNIAN 1875 you are gonna put (not so) scoopyboy out a job!
Better watch cos ive heard hes a blade merchant. And not gonna reveal my sauce either.

PeterboroHibee
31-08-2010, 03:08 PM
and our Dutch defender voted the worst player in the league its all a bit worrying

That article about Dickoh looked like a lot of rubbish. Played for some decent clubs, at a good age, think we need to give it a chance

As for Grounds, hes what, 22, still young and in an area we dont really have any good options. Quite looking forward to him getting a chance if true.

MSK
31-08-2010, 03:09 PM
The new Murphy anyone? We need to give this boy a chance if he comes, young player in problem area of the park with Premiership experience, exactly what we should be looking for imo.Also says he can play left midfield & centre half...played a few games for Boro so comes wi a decent bit of experience, exactly what we need ...:agree:

ski1875
31-08-2010, 03:10 PM
The worst player thing was for the month

phoenixfire
31-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I wouldnt put to much empasis on the worst player poll, I have hopes he may prove a worthwhile signing, most of us when we sign a new player
like to look up his previous clubs message boards to get opinions of the quality we are bringing in
just hope they are wrong

easty
31-08-2010, 03:17 PM

You can't just judge a player on what some fans of the team he was at thought of them. Who would given Hartley a good write up when he left Hibs, turned out to be a decent player though. Stokes couldn't hit the net when on loan at Palace or Sheff Utd so I doubt those sides fans would big him up either. I'll bet if Hogg left the message boards would be full of how crap he is, I bet when he does move on though he actually turns out to be a half decent player. Sometimes it just doesnt work out for a player at a certain club or clubs.

Let's gie the lads a chance to show us what they can do before making up our own minds.

lucky
31-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Did I not tell you so :wink:

it was on the rumours page of STV and posted on another thread on here. Keep trawlling the sites you might fine another exclusive

Twa Cairpets
31-08-2010, 03:23 PM
You can't just judge a player on what some fans of the team he was at thought of them. Who would given Hartley a good write up when he left Hibs, turned out to be a decent player though. Stokes couldn't hit the net when on loan at Palace or Sheff Utd so I doubt those sides fans would big him up either. I'll bet if Hogg left the message boards would be full of how crap he is, I bet when he does move on though he actually turns out to be a half decent player. Sometimes it just doesnt work out for a player at a certain club or clubs.

Let's gie the lads a chance to show us what they can do before making up our own minds.

Oy!

Lets be having none of these sensible, rational posts on here. Where the hell do you think you are?

Bet this boy doesnt even have a website, thats how crap he is.

ltyf

degenerated
31-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Dickoh was voted the worst player in the league over the month of september 2008, but don't let that stop you in your quest to find something to rubbish any new players before they even kick a ball. :bitchy:

Davy Mac
31-08-2010, 03:25 PM
good one- hope he grounds himself at Easter Road for the rest of the season

How on earth did we uncover him, ach he'll get turfed out soon enough and then we realise the grass is not always greener on the other side.:greengrin

phoenixfire
31-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Dickoh was voted the worst player in the league over the month of september 2008, but don't let that stop you in your quest to find something to rubbish any new players before they even kick a ball. :bitchy:

Get off your high horse didnt rubbish just expressed concern that the incoming quality does not appear as good as the player we have parted with
but ok if it makes you feel better keep nit picking

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Hmmm?

sundo1875
31-08-2010, 03:56 PM
We have signed him according to ssn

hibee_nation
31-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Get off your high horse didnt rubbish just expressed concern that the incoming quality does not appear as good as the player we have parted with
but ok if it makes you feel better keep nit picking

Thanks for your concern most touching. :bye:

jonny
31-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Was on loan at Norwich last year for a bit - played 11 games and got 3 goals from centre half apparently.

I'm quite pleased with the signings of Grounds and Dickoh - problem areas seem to be getting addressed. Another decent striker and I reckon it'll have been as good a transfer window as we realistically couldve hoped for.

DH1875
31-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Wonder where that leaves Murray? Especially if the rumours of his fall out with Yogi are true.

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Wonder where that leaves Murray? Especially if the rumours of his fall out with Yogi are true.

Morton via Hamilton.

jonny
31-08-2010, 04:09 PM

My opinion has been that Murray would be better in a more central role where his ball winning ability can be emphasised and his lack of pace not so exposed.
Whether Hughes will do this or simply freeze him out I dont know. Maybe Grounds has been brought in as cover...
Only Yogi knows. We'll have a better idea after another few games I suppose

Cropley10
31-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Nothing at all on SSN:confused:

ancienthibby
31-08-2010, 04:11 PM

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100831/dickoh-signs-with-hibernian_2262950_2140793

basehibby
31-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Voted worst player in the dutch league....for one month during 2007 - do keep up!

Also, Duffy has been described as a "Fox in the Box" by one Bristol fan.

As for the LB - I won't hold out for him being anything like as good as Murphy - surely lightning can't strike twice - squad player to compete with/back up Murray I'd have thought.

There's always a grim way of looking at things if your determined to find it though so don't let me stop you wallowing in gloom :bitchy:

sundo1875
31-08-2010, 04:19 PM

It says it after it says we have signed dickow

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Sub at best. He is so slow, slow on the ball AND without the ball and never a left back now. As Bob says Hamilton and Morton are his next stops.

Hibs90
31-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Sub at best. He is so slow, slow on the ball AND without the ball and never a left back now. As Bob says Hamilton and Morton are his next stops.

Sad but true. :boo hoo:

RickyS
31-08-2010, 04:22 PM

what length was the new contract he signed?

Ed De Gramo
31-08-2010, 04:23 PM
From his twitter

Edinburgh , long ass drive !

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hank Schrader
31-08-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2010/08/31/taylor-and-grounds-complete-loan-deals-84229-27172145/

hibee92
31-08-2010, 04:29 PM
From his twitter

damn! got there before me! :greengrin
http://twitter.com/JG_Chilling

lyonhibs
31-08-2010, 04:30 PM
From his twitter

Yaaasss!!!

:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
31-08-2010, 04:30 PM

He's never been the same player since he signed his new contract!

Golden Bear
31-08-2010, 04:34 PM
According to the Beeb, we're still trying to sign Jonathan Grounds so it doesn't look like it's a done deal just yet.

Ed De Gramo
31-08-2010, 04:35 PM
According to the Beeb, we're still trying to sign Jonathan Grounds so it doesn't look like it's a done deal just yet.

SSN saying already done and his twitter says he's either in Edinburgh or en-route

Golden Bear
31-08-2010, 04:36 PM
SSN saying already done and his twitter says he's either in Edinburgh or en-route

Wait & see time then.

We need a left back that's for sure.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 04:37 PM

I said a while back when there was a deafening cry on here for Murray to get a new contract(although there seems to have been a bit of a revision of history on here lately) that the money could be better spent elsewhere. I stand by that statement. Good player in his day, good Hibby but not good enough anymore to take the club forward.

3pm
31-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Grounds played left back against us the last time Boro were in town against us. Involved in fisticuffs - or handbags - as well if I recall.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I said a while back when there was a deafening cry on here for Murray to get a new contract(although there seems to have been a bit of a revision of history on here lately) that the money could be better spent elsewhere. I stand by that statement. Good player in his day, good Hibby but not good enough anymore to take the club forward.

:agree:

Tha Cabbage Kid
31-08-2010, 04:43 PM
im a boro suporter aswell and have been down to watch the games and he is a cracking player. very experienced for a young lad. he will be a class act if he doesnt get injured!!!

Mikey
31-08-2010, 04:48 PM
As he's coming from Boro, doesn't this have to be tied up by 6pm? Or can we still get players from English clubs up until midnight?

poolman
31-08-2010, 04:51 PM
As he's coming from Boro, doesn't this have to be tied up by 6pm? Or can we still get players from English clubs up until midnight?

We can still sign players from Ingerland up until midnight

Danderhall Hibs
31-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Just been confirmed on the SSN ticker.

Hibernian Verse
31-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Midnight because we're signing. Other way round and it would be 6 :agree:

woodythehibee
31-08-2010, 04:53 PM

we can still buy from anywhere until midnight :agree:

but cannot sell to England after 6pm

Mikey
31-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Midnight because we're signing. Other way round and it would be 6 :agree:

Cheers. Hopefully Hughes has lined up every EPL club to send him a list of players who haven't made their 25 man squad and are available on loan.

hibee92
31-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Went up to have a look about, Yogi showing Jonathan about, had a chat with the pair of them and got some photos. Saying he was looking to play regular football and prefers playing left back. Asked Yogi if anymore will be coming in turned round with a smile and said "Ivan and Shielsly" laughing away at himself, then they left to go to ER. :greengrin:thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
31-08-2010, 04:55 PM

as far as im aware as long as the transfer window is open in your neck of the woods its fine for you to sign from any other league.

robbie keane didnt complete him move the sellic until near midnight last season iirc.

Cropley10
31-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Went up to have a look about, Yogi showing Jonathan about, had a chat with the pair of them and got some photos. Saying he was looking to play regular football and prefers playing left back. Asked Yogi if anymore will be coming in turned round with a smile and said "Ivan and Shielsly" laughing away at himself, then they left to go to ER. :greengrin:thumbsup:

Post the photos up then....

Golden Bear
31-08-2010, 04:58 PM

What? He's looking for regular "football" and he's signed for Hibs?!

Shoorly a contradiction in terms!

:wink:

hibee92
31-08-2010, 04:59 PM

settle down, getting them up in 5

HibeeMcGinn1
31-08-2010, 05:00 PM

What if we dinny want to?

Franck Stanton
31-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Whilst I firmly believe we are desperate for a left back, I strongly disagree with all the negative vibes re Murray. True he hasn't the pace to play left beck anymore but could still do a very good job in the middle of the park, either as c/half or holding midfield. In fact I would make him the club captain and I really do think any talk about him leaving should be dropped now. :grr:

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm looking forward to him getting his first yellow card so I can turn around and quip, 'if he keeps this up, it could well be Grounds for dismissal!'

Oh my god, just typing that one hurt so badly.

hibee92
31-08-2010, 05:04 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/xsr2p.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/33z5jli.jpg

Cropley10
31-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Photoshop naw!?

I presume the player is in the middle of the first photo:greengrin

lyonhibs
31-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Photoshop naw!?

I presume the player is in the middle of the first photo:greengrin

I'd ****ing hope so, or else we've signed a wee laddies that's in need of a good feed and some vitamin D exposure or a fine portly chap :greengrin

hibeeleicester
31-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Your jobs is to set camp at east mains. Keep us updated.

Boro5707
31-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Boro fan here, Grounds is a much better centre half than left back. Most of his games for us have been at left back but when has had to fill in at centre half, he has looked far more at home. Also had a loan spell at Norwich playing CB, scoring 3 in 11 for a side in the relegation zone in the championship, the year before last. Has made 30 appearances for us 4 as a sub, he's nowt flash but will do a job at championship/Scottish Prem Level.

Judas Iscariot
31-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Boro fan here, Grounds is a much better centre half than left back. Most of his games for us have been at left back but when has had to fill in at centre half, he has looked far more at home. Also had a loan spell at Norwich playing CB, scoring 3 in 11 for a side in the relegation zone in the championship, the year before last. Has made 30 appearances for us 4 as a sub, he's nowt flash but will do a job at championship/Scottish Prem Level.

Cheers for that mate :aok:

Quite happy with this signing :agree:

flash
31-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Bamba into midfield with Dickoh and Grounds at the back????

Mikey
31-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Confirmed on Boro official site........

http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/20100831/jonathan-joins-hibs-on-loan_70638_2140571

Speedway
31-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd ****ing hope so, or else we've signed a wee laddies that's in need of a good feed and some vitamin D exposure or a fine portly chap :greengrin

What happened to that Lickme guy you said was coming in today LH?

DH1875
31-08-2010, 05:59 PM
So is it 6 months or a year?

Mikey
31-08-2010, 06:00 PM
So is it 6 months or a year?

Until January. Coincides with Booth's return!

silverhibee
31-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Are you happy with Strachan as manager of Boro.

.Sean.
31-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Boy in the Adidas zippy didnae half fall out the ugly tree eh? :greengrin

:wink:

jonny
31-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Just spoke to my father in law who saw him a few times for Norwich - reckoned he looked a decent centre half and was quite surprised when I said we'd signed him as a left back.
Sounds pretty good though.

Boro5707
31-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I am happier with Strachan than I was with Southgate, but that isn't hard. Players need time to gel but was expecting more at the start of the season. Was expecting more activity today with the amount of midfielders injured, SEVEN??? we currently have 7 injured midfielders at once? Thomson, Flood, Bailey, O'Neil, Franks, Kink, R Williams. Leaving just Robson, Arca, L Williams, Haliday and new loan signing Mickael Tavares. On paper I still think we have the strongest squad in the league. Just need time to gel and get everyone back fit.

Hiber-nation
31-08-2010, 06:21 PM

I thought he was morew of a centre half, cheers.

Has got a bit of dig about him as well, saw him playing for Boro in the Carling Cup the other week. Should be a very good signing.

stokesmessiah
31-08-2010, 06:46 PM
On the Hibs site now:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10290,00.html

Gmack7
31-08-2010, 06:48 PM

which ones dickoh

stokesmessiah
31-08-2010, 06:50 PM
which ones dickoh

Middle....Bottom Pic :greengrin

Gatecrasher
31-08-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100831/hibernian-capture-grounds_2262950_2141102 :thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
31-08-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100831/hibernian-capture-grounds_2262950_2141102 :thumbsup:

Rod will be raging - he's not mentioned East Mains or the completed ground looking fantastic

:rules:

Alfred E Newman
31-08-2010, 07:05 PM
How on earth did we uncover him, ach he'll get turfed out soon enough and then we realise the grass is not always greener on the other side.:greengrin

He`ll soon be brought down to earth. :greengrin

Davy Mac
31-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I am happier with Strachan than I was with Southgate, but that isn't hard. Players need time to gel but was expecting more at the start of the season. Was expecting more activity today with the amount of midfielders injured, SEVEN??? we currently have 7 injured midfielders at once? Thomson, Flood, Bailey, O'Neil, Franks, Kink, R Williams. Leaving just Robson, Arca, L Williams, Haliday and new loan signing Mickael Tavares. On paper I still think we have the strongest squad in the league. Just need time to gel and get everyone back fit.

Been up and down Linthorpe Road a few times with some of the lads from your neck of the woods.

Is the Mardi Gras still open in Darlington?:greengrin

Family in Darlington, Bishop Auckland & Redcar.

C'mon the Boro!!

thebakerboy
31-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I really don't get all this about Ian Murray , in his 1st time at ER he always (apart as I remember a couple of times at Right Back) played in midfield either centre or left side and this is also his favoured position or at Centre Half , so it will be relief if he gets to play in his best position for a change. One of the things Yogi is criticised for is playing people out of position so maybe with these signings this can be sorted.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Barney McGrew
31-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Rod will be raging - he's not mentioned East Mains or the completed ground looking fantastic

:rules:

Petrie has got it sorted now:

Grounds said: "Since the last time I came here to the stadium for a pre-season game two years ago, things have changed drastically.The stand on the far side has now changed and it all looks brilliant"

:hilarious

proud_and_green
31-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I really don't get all this about Ian Murray , in his 1st time at ER he always (apart as I remember a couple of times at Right Back) played in midfield either centre or left side and this is also his favoured position or at Centre Half , so it will be relief if he gets to play in his best position for a change. One of the things Yogi is criticised for is playing people out of position so maybe with these signings this can be sorted.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I agree,i always thought that he was a midfielder who was actually also a pretty good full back and was used there when we didn't have anyone else. He now seems to have been typecast as a left full back who if push comes to shove could move forward into midfield - quite a reversal of roles.

Graham Law
31-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Disgrace the way some people are slamming Ian Murray on here. granted he went off and signed for the huns and for that he deserves a good slagging :greengrin and if someone's own opinion is that Ian is not good enough for Hibs (NOT MY OPINION) then that is there prerogative but surely there is a more balanced way of putting it forward than some posters on here are.

What a fickle bunch some of us Hibees are .. I tell you it never used to be like that. Even in my short 33yrs as a Hibee and also listening to my fathers stories, the one thing the Hibs fans were always good for regardless of the way the team was playing was supporting one of there own.. And believe me Ian is one of us (regardless of his move to the huns).

It was the same with Riordan a not so very long time ago when he arrived back here from Celtic. There was a huge support on here of people quick to offer there wisdom (or lack of it rather) of how Riordan was not the same player and we should not have resigned him and quick to discuss all his off field antics and how he was never fit etc.... Where are all these people now?

Quite rightly Deek has rammed it right back at them and has again shown the player he is - He had never lost his ability and just needed time to fit back into the club..

Christ if we had listened to these people he would have been sold off again within 6 months off returning to the club.

bigstu
31-08-2010, 11:06 PM
everyone thought Ian Murray was great for most of last season, our best player some thought. Now he's apparently suddenly not good enough according to a number of posters!
i still think he's a good steady first team player & would have him playing most weeks.

3pm
31-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I have said before, don't write Murray off. Once we change manager, he'll pick up again.

Hibs07p
01-09-2010, 06:54 AM

I've got to ask the question. Is Yogi taking the first photo and Grounds the second one? :wink:

PaulSmith
01-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Disgrace the way some people are slamming Ian Murray on here. granted he went off and signed for the huns and for that he deserves a good slagging :greengrin and if someone's own opinion is that Ian is not good enough for Hibs (NOT MY OPINION) then that is there prerogative but surely there is a more balanced way of putting it forward than some posters on here are.

What a fickle bunch some of us Hibees are .. I tell you it never used to be like that. Even in my short 33yrs as a Hibee and also listening to my fathers stories, the one thing the Hibs fans were always good for regardless of the way the team was playing was supporting one of there own.. And believe me Ian is one of us (regardless of his move to the huns).

It was the same with Riordan a not so very long time ago when he arrived back here from Celtic. There was a huge support on here of people quick to offer there wisdom (or lack of it rather) of how Riordan was not the same player and we should not have resigned him and quick to discuss all his off field antics and how he was never fit etc.... Where are all these people now?

Quite rightly Deek has rammed it right back at them and has again shown the player he is - He had never lost his ability and just needed time to fit back into the club..

Christ if we had listened to these people he would have been sold off again within 6 months off returning to the club.

That has been one of the most horrible aspects of supporting Hibs recently.

bighairyfaeleith
01-09-2010, 07:17 AM
I have to say that while I agree murray is not as pacey as he used to be he is still probably the best tackler at the club, to me looks like the best leader on the pitch and so I would move him to a defensive midfield role in front of Bamba and either stephens or the new lad. Put Hart and Grounds at the sides and we should have a strong defense.

Remember murray can play in lots of positions, so his place in the squad is vital in case of injures as well, he may not be the best left back in the world but he is better than most at filling the spot, the same goes for left midfield etc.

Murray for captain!!!:greengrin

Hibs7
01-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I have to say that while I agree murray is not as pacey as he used to be he is still probably the best tackler at the club, to me looks like the best leader on the pitch and so I would move him to a defensive midfield role in front of Bamba and either stephens or the new lad. Put Hart and Grounds at the sides and we should have a strong defense.

Remember murray can play in lots of positions, so his place in the squad is vital in case of injures as well, he may not be the best left back in the world but he is better than most at filling the spot, the same goes for left midfield etc.

Murray for captain!!!:greengrin

Totally agree just Hope Yogi can see this, but doubt it :grr::grr:

Hibs7
01-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I also remember I an Murray scoring a few goals from Midfield, get him back in there with McBride and Miller ditch the Dutchman, use Wotherspoon and Galbraith with Deeks and lets see how that works. Other options with Duffy and dare I say it Nish !!!

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
When we have every player fit, i wouldn't have Murray anywhere near the first 11 players. And now we have a few more imho he should be further down the pecking order.

He's been woeful at left back, slow with the ball and without it, been ripped on more than one occasion. Never gets forward, cant pass very well and takes an age to get any pass he receives under control.

I hear some say put him in midfield, christ if he's in there with De Graff we would have the slowest midfield in Hibernian football clubs history, with the least amount of creativity ever.

When was Ian Murrays last good game, ask yourself that?

Speedway
01-09-2010, 08:54 AM

Just be aware that we have some very good undercover Yams on here.

Phil MaGlass
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM

It could be that fans have had enuff of the mediocre fitba and half hearted approach to playing for a great team that has been rife at Hibs for the past 5 years or so. Fans can only take so much, see Stokes last game, how many times did we see players like Benji not giving 100 % ? shocking, it doesnt help when youre going through god knows how many managers in the last 5 years or so.
If players cant/wont give 100% why should they expect 100% loyalty from the fans. I dont understand the Murray bashing, aye, he went to the huns, but FFS the lads a Hibsman and always gives his best, play him in his favoured position and you will see a different player.
I was also guilty of giving Deeks a hard time when he came back, but he won most of us over and is a better player for it, the only **** that cannae see it is an ex herts er5e.This season has just started it could be a good season,we have lost a good striker but one that had alot of baggage, can we recover from it, aye, course we can. Now is the time for Yogi tae stand up and be counted, show us what you can do or walk.
The time for talkin is over, we want to see results Yogi.

--------
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Just be aware that we have some very good undercover Yams on here.

We really do. And some total misery-guts of genuine Hibees as well.... :wink:

3pm
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
When we have every player fit, i wouldn't have Murray anywhere near the first 11 players. And now we have a few more imho he should be further down the pecking order.

He's been woeful at left back, slow with the ball and without it, been ripped on more than one occasion. Never gets forward, cant pass very well and takes an age to get any pass he receives under control.

I hear some say put him in midfield, christ if he's in there with De Graff we would have the slowest midfield in Hibernian football clubs history, with the least amount of creativity ever.

You suggested that yourself only a few months back... :rolleyes:

Hibs7
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't play De Graff done nothing that I have seen to warrant a game .

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 12:56 PM
You suggested that yourself only a few months back... :rolleyes:

I did, but since then i think he's got even slower. If these new players are any good, and have a little pace about them again imho they should be in the side before Murray. I have never seen a player go from as good as he was at the start of last season, to as poor as he is now. Just pick the best 11 players, in their natural positions and we wont go far wrong.

--------
01-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I did, but since then i think he's got even slower. If these new players are any good, and have a little pace about them again imho they should be in the side before Murray. I have never seen a player go from as good as he was at the start of last season, to as poor as he is now. Just pick the best 11 players, in their natural positions and we wont go far wrong.

That would be too simple, bh.

Though I totally agree. :agree:

3pm
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
For someone's form to change BH, do you not think there may be another reason?

He may be knackered but I don't accept that he is finished.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
For someone's form to change BH, do you not think there may be another reason?

He may be knackered but I don't accept that he is finished.

I really dont know why he's just sssooooooo bad now. What i do know though, is he does not justify a place in the side, and thats not good for him imho especially when you consider how short we have been for players. He seems to have got so much slower all of a sudden, and he was never the quickest. :confused:

3pm
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Of course he has to justify his place now - maybe that was the issue, he was too comfortable?

The competition might buck up his ideas, but that challenge should be thrown down to everyone. In my opinion, the Manager doesn't help, I don't think he gets the best out of people but time will tell.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2010, 07:26 PM
He's never been the same player since he signed his new contract!

What a ridiculous comment. Cant imagine how you must talk of other teams players if this is how you speak of our vice captain and most experienced member of our team. :shhhsh!:

Andy74
01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Murray was written off last year and came back to fitness and form. Seems to me that with his fitness issues he needs a good few weeks of matches now before getting back to sharpness.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Murray was written off last year and came back to fitness and form. Seems to me that with his fitness issues he needs a good few weeks of matches now before getting back to sharpness.

Well said mate, so many people seem to be writing off one of last years first names on the team sheet in lieu of a bunch of new signings.

As for the pace shout, dont know where that came from, maybe the same people that were last week Hanlon was the first choice for this position because he has pace - of which he does not - but then again he is a very promising CH, so who cares about his 0-60!

MSK
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM

:rules:Ah ..another definition of Rod Rage ...:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 07:58 PM

I thought it was the other way? He came back from Norwich and slotted in well straight away, so much so that he started last season very well and won a new contract. I started to doubt him towards the end of last year, i dont have any idea why his form has dipped, but imho it certainly has.

Its dipped that much that imho he does not deserve a starting place, and will have to up his game considerably to break back in the side. He's not a full back, i cant see him in midfield, and we have just signed another 2 central defenders. Who's place would he take?:confused:

Albion Hibs
01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I thought it was the other way? He came back from Norwich and slotted in well straight away, so much so that he started last season very well and won a new contract. I started to doubt him towards the end of last year, i dont have any idea why his form has dipped, but imho it certainly has.

Its dipped that much that imho he does not deserve a starting place, and will have to up his game considerably to break back in the side. He's not a full back, i cant see him in midfield, and we have just signed another 2 central defenders. Who's place would he take?:confused:

Why would he have any place to take, he was the only one in our back four last year that put in a challenge and gave some fight to get us into fourth.

The question is not whos place he is taking but who is taking his???

Graham Law - well said - cant believe so many are turning there back on a bunch of unknowns and a loan signing.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Why would he have any place to take, he was the only one in our back four last year that put in a challenge and gave some fight to get us into fourth.

The question is not whos place he is taking but who is taking his???

Graham Law - well said - cant believe so many are turning there back on a bunch of unknowns and a loan signing.

I dont think he's good enough, thats why i asked who's place would he take? He's been found out at left back. No passing ability he cant get forward very well, and when he does go forward its like watching an old man getting back.

If he was to play in midfield, he is not better than McBride or Miller, i cant see him playing in the wide positions, so that leaves centre back. Bamba is a stick on for one of those places, and the new guy Dickoh i'd imagine gets the other spot. Maybe he will play up front. :wink:

Albion Hibs
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I dont think he's good enough, thats why i asked who's place would he take? He's been found out at left back. No passing ability he cant get forward very well, and when he does go forward its like watching an old man getting back.

If he was to play in midfield, he is not better than McBride or Miller, i cant see him playing in the wide positions, so that leaves centre back. Bamba is a stick on for one of those places, and the new guy Dickoh i'd imagine gets the other spot. Maybe he will play up front. :wink:

You are missing my point at the end of last season he was in the team - so if he is not in now who has taken HIS place.

With regards to being found out, I disagree.....again!

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM
You are missing my point at the end of last season he was in the team - so if he is not in now who has taken HIS place.

With regards to being found out, I disagree.....again!

The new guy grounds has been brought in to play left back. If you listen to Yogi's interview on HI he more or less says that. And the reason he's brought him in is because he was watching Murray get ripped a new ******** more often than not from very average players. I'd put money on Murray not playing left back now, he's just not up to the job anymore, of course imho.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
The new guy grounds has been brought in to play left back. If you listen to Yogi's interview on HI he more or less says that. And the reason he's brought him in is because he was watching Murray get ripped a new ******** more often than not from very average players. I'd put money on Murray
not playing left back now, he's just not up to the job anymore, of course imho.

In that case Yogi clearly watches the games as closely as you! Remarkable what can change in a player during the off season when there are no games to watch / performances to judge one.

I would say all the best to the young lad if that is the case, lets be honest we are not taking on Ashley Cole.

I am sure however, Yogi does not share your opinion, given he does understand football. Our national manager has already highlighted our defensive weakness on that side by pointing our deeks defensive weakness ala he must be complimenting one of the hardest worked left backs in the league (not a crit of deek he is a natural striker / goal scorer playing in midfield). Levin can see it, I am sure yogi can see it, everyone in the stands can see it - lets just hope this youngster you have placed all of your faith in can!

PS I will happily take your money off you.

IMO.

Graham Law
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I really dont know why he's just sssooooooo bad now. What i do know though, is he does not justify a place in the side, and thats not good for him imho especially when you consider how short we have been for players. He seems to have got so much slower all of a sudden, and he was never the quickest. :confused:

Thats total nonsense ... do you sit at the game with a bloody stopwatch!!

Christ there is a lot more to football than pace or height.. A team has to have the right blend and balance and more importantly they have to know exactly how they are meant to be playing as a team or everyone ends up playing as individuals...... as is happening with this current team!!

The problem at Hibs just now is that the team has no idea how they are meant to be playing and the whole bloody team is playing out of position. And I find it laughable that you now think Murray aint worth a place in the team when a few months back you were shouting for him to get a new contract and be included in the Scotland squad.. Make your mind up man... I can remember only a couple of games last year where Murray was off the pace and think its a joke the way you can so quickly vent your venom and change attitudes towards players, by all means have your say but try to do so with some thought behind it.

You change your opinion quicker than the scottish weather turns from summer to winter sometimes mate...

I feel that the team as a whole is not playing as a unit (something Yogi continually goes on about and off more concern is the fact that he thinks we do play as a team) and I think this is putting extra pressure on players that are very much team players and until he sorts this out and establishes what way he wants the team to play then we are going to contuniue to struggle regardless of who is in the team.

As for Murray and you saying who's place he will take in the team.. can you tell me exactly who has taken his place..??

Because surely you cannot be talking about the new young lad from Boro!! (granted I am up for this lad proving his worth and getting a starting slot in the team - although if he does he will no doubt be gone as soon as he has arrived) But please tell me you are not basing your opinion of a player until 24 hours ago unheard of in favour of a player that consistantly puts in a performance. nobody has ever talked of Ian Murray about his pace and ability to beat five men and stick it in the corner of the net but if you want a player that will roll up the sleeves and get stuck in for the team and someone that has a football brain and does not need the pace that other players with less awareness do then he will do just fine for me.

And you best prepare yourself for games where we are only gonna win by rolling up our sleaves this season as unless there is a drastic change I fear there aint gonna be to much silky football down ER way as long as the team and the shape of the team keeps on getting changed as often as it currently does.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Thats total nonsense ... do you sit at the game with a bloody stopwatch!!

Christ there is a lot more to football than pace or height.. A team has to have the right blend and balance and more importantly they have to know exactly how they are meant to be playing as a team or everyone ends up playing as individuals...... as is happening with this current team!!

The problem at Hibs just now is that the team has no idea how they are meant to be playing and the whole bloody team is playing out of position.

. Make your mind up man... I can remember only a couple of games last year where Murray was off the pace and think its a joke the way you can so quickly vent your venom and change attitudes towards players, by all means have your say but try to do so with some thought behind it.
You change your opinion quicker than the scottish weather turns from summer to winter sometimes mate...
]I must have watched a different Murray to you, i thought he struggled from November onwards. How much thought do you need to see someone struggling every week, and want him replaced? Also what opinions have i changed [/B]

I feel that the team as a whole is not playing as a unit (something Yogi continually goes on about and off more concern is the fact that he thinks we do play as a team) and I think this is putting extra pressure on players that are very much team players and until he sorts this out and establishes what way he wants the team to play then we are going to contuniue to struggle regardless of who is in the team.

As for Murray and you saying who's place he will take in the team.. can you tell me exactly who has taken his place..??
Perhaps i could have worded it better, so what i will say is Murray aint good enough to get in this first 11 now, and from november last season he was humpty, thats carried on to this season as witnessed against Maribor and a few friendlies.
Because surely you cannot be talking about the new young lad from Boro!! (granted I am up for this lad proving his worth and getting a starting slot in the team - although if he does he will no doubt be gone as soon as he has arrived) But please tell me you are not basing your opinion of a player until 24 hours ago unheard of in favour of a player that consistantly puts in a performance. nobody has ever talked of Ian Murray about his pace and ability to beat five men and stick it in the corner of the net but if you want a player that will roll up the sleeves and get stuck in for the team and someone that has a football brain and does not need the pace that other players with less awareness do then he will do just fine for me.
If the new guy is worse than Murray, then we have not progressed as a team, or squad. Why would the manager sign a player who is worse than the stop gap left back we have been playing for the last 2 seasons?
And you best prepare yourself for games where we are only gonna win by rolling up our sleaves this season as unless there is a drastic change I fear there aint gonna be to much silky football down ER way as long as the team and the shape of the team keeps on getting changed as often as it currently does.

There wont be silky football at any club Murray is attached to, he can barely control a football these days.

deeks01
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
The new guy grounds has been brought in to play left back. If you listen to Yogi's interview on HI he more or less says that. And the reason he's brought him in is because he was watching Murray get ripped a new ******** more often than not from very average players. I'd put money on Murray not playing left back now, he's just not up to the job anymore, of course imho.

Personally I'm beginning to wonder if murray's arthritis is bothering him again. Really hope not.

3pm
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Ian Murray wasn't the only person that was poor in the latter part of last season.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Ian Murray wasn't the only person that was poor in the latter part of last season.

Thats very true. Although if we want our full backs to push on and support the midfield and forwards, would you play Murray at left back?

3pm
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Thats very true. Although if we want our full backs to push on and support the midfield and forwards, would you play Murray at left back?

No I wouldn't. I said I felt he was a Centre Half and nothing else and I stand by that.

The attributes you mention about pace and touch are things Ian Murray has never had, even prior to his knee problems. He's not a fantastic footballer, never has been but he can do effective job if he is played in the right area.

I'd never have taken Bamba out of midfield (at the time Hughes took over), Murray could have played CH then and we bought a proper left back that would have given more support that you mention. The defence has been badly neglected since Hughes took over - albeit he is trying to sort it now - and Murray has suffered because of his versatility. That ain't his fault! :wink:

PS. How did you decide he has underperformed since November?

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
No I wouldn't. I said I felt he was a Centre Half and nothing else and I stand by that.
He'd certainly no be so exposed in the middle.
The attributes you mention about pace and touch are things Ian Murray has never had, even prior to his knee problems. He's not a fantastic footballer, never has been but he can do effective job if he is played in the right area.
I agree, he's never been the best footballer but he used to be able to get near an opponent, and get a good honest challenge in, just as he did last season against Fyvie from aberdeen. But these imho have become the exception rather than the rule these days. He seems slower, and he takes an age to control the ball and move it on.
I'd never have taken Bamba out of midfield (at the time Hughes took over), Murray could have played CH then and we bought a proper left back that would have given more support that you mention. The defence has been badly neglected since Hughes took over - albeit he is trying to sort it now - and Murray has suffered because of his versatility. That ain't his fault! :wink:
That may have worked, i doubt we will ever know. Personally i think Bamba is the best central defender i have seen in my time supporting Hibs, i'd have kept him there.
PS. How did you decide he has underperformed since November?

By watching him struggle week after week. Perhaps having Riordan in front of him did not help, but he has again imho slowed up quite remarkably, and his control of the ball seems a lot slower too. The ball when he receives it rarely goes forward, as he's taken that long to control it, all his options are closed down, so he plays it sideways or back. He has offered us little as a left back for a good while imho.

Albion Hibs
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Thats a good idea, we are leaking goals why not bring him back into the 11 and get them up supporting the strikers! Great idea! You must be kidding.

By watching him struggle week after week. Perhaps having Riordan in front of him did not help, but he has again imho slowed up quite remarkably, and his control of the ball seems a lot slower too. The ball when he receives it rarely goes forward, as he's taken that long to control it, all his options are closed down, so he plays it sideways or back. He has offered us little as a left back for a good while imho.

It is obvious Riordan in front is not helping as we all know the only place he should be is upfront, plus how often do you ever see the left side of our midfield getting the ball and passing it down the line for the full-back - I will answer that for you NEVER! They cut straight inside heading towards the traffic - watch and you will see. Thus running up and tracking back for two players is clearly going to be tiring.

Re his pace, I dont see what you are saying, faster than majority of players in squad, including some of the younger ones like Wotherspoon, McBride etc etc.

I am starting to think this has nothing to do with football, as claiming Bamba is one of the best CH you have seen at Hibs is quite frankly equally if not more so ridiculous than your above statements. Nowhere near it! Did you get refused an autograph once or something?

PS good show pledging your comments and support to players who clearly have no interest in being at Hibs anymore. How about supporting our actual players.

IMO!!

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Thats a good idea, we are leaking goals why not bring him back into the 11 and get them up supporting the strikers! Great idea! You must be kidding.

It is obvious Riordan in front is not helping as we all know the only place he should be is upfront, plus how often do you ever see the left side of our midfield getting the ball and passing it down the line for the full-back - I will answer that for you NEVER! They cut straight inside heading towards the traffic - watch and you will see. Thus running up and tracking back for two players is clearly going to be tiring.

Re his pace, I dont see what you are saying, faster than majority of players in squad, including some of the younger ones like Wotherspoon, McBride etc etc.

I am starting to think this has nothing to do with football, as claiming Bamba is one of the best CH you have seen at Hibs is quite frankly equally if not more so ridiculous than your above statements. Nowhere near it! Did you get refused an autograph once or something?

PS good show pledging your comments and support to players who clearly have no interest in being at Hibs anymore. How about supporting our actual players.

IMO!!

No problem Ian.

500miles
02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Ian Murray isn't quite the athlete he used to be. He takes longer to get over knocks, and doesn't have the speed he used to. However, some people seem to underestimate Murray's pace during his first time around. In training, all the boys were timed, and, in a team with Sproule and Brown, Ian Murray was the second quickest over the length of the pitch.

He's still a useful player, and any fullback has a greater job playing against the opposition doubling up on him - winger and fullback, as has always happened to any fullback Derek Riordan has played in front of.

truehibernian
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Ian was one of the most consistent players during both the good and bad run last season. Anyone questioning his ability, specifically pace, I point to Paul Hanlon - there is a player that is never a full back and who this season alone (and last when he played there) was continually found out for pace, in other words, he has none. Paul for me is a centre back or sweeper. Ian is quite a solid left back to have. David Murphy was the most complete left back we have had since Ullie Laursen. I also remember he was the only player at both McDiarmid Park and Dingwall to come and applaud the fans despite him knowing the performances were two of the worst ever (and nad to dodge the pies - have to say I don't know why there were left over pies as they were very tasty :greengrin). Murray can still do a job in this team and if anything is a bridge between the fans and team. I will also lay a wager that in future he will be a Hibernian manager. Educated, talks sense, reads the game better than those around him, and has a professional mentality.

MrSmith
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Can't disagree with any of that! IM is also part of the coaching team and is being being put through coaching badges.

I would like to think Ian will be with us for a very long time and will, imv, probably be a caretaker manager sooner rather than later.