PDA

View Full Version : "I can possibly understand it"

Jamesie
30-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Says Hughes regarding Stokes' move to the darkside.

Aye John, you were another with such a lack of ambition that you took the easy option of a move to Parkhead as well so no doubt you understand it.

Shame that lack of ambition - or ability? - has now come back to visit us. :bitchy: :bye:

Hibernian Verse
30-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Aye John, you were another with such a lack of ambition that you took the easy option of a move to Parkhead as well so no doubt you understand it.

Shame that lack of ambition - or ability? - has now come back to visit us. :bitchy: :bye:

Is this the let's all get angry at Stokes for moving for a higher wage and the possibility of actually winning honours thread?

bingo70
30-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Och, behave yourself eh

There's faults in Yogi's tactics and team selections but do we really have to go through this with every single quote he comes out with?

John Hughes was an extremely limited footballer who made it too a far higher standard than he should have, for that he deserves credit, nothing to do with a lack of ambition, as for Stokes, a 21 year old guy thats already tried and failed in the premiership can you really not understand why he'd want to join Celtic for what'll probably be around 7 or 8 times his salary.

flash
30-08-2010, 12:52 PM

What about players from smaller clubs that we sign? Or is that different?

PC Stamp
30-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Yer normally a sensible chap Jamesie but that's just a daft post. It's his job when all's said and done and if he's gonna earn 4 or 5 x his present salary and most lkely win medals then how does moving to one of Scotland's two biggest clubs suggest he lacks ambition? Maybe it's the level of his ambition?

Take away the fact that unlike you and me, most of these guys aren't Hibs fans and it's all about earning as much as they can from a career which lasts for a relatively short period of time. In fact were I lucky enough to be in Stokes position, I'll be honest enough to admit that even as a die hard Hibby I'd probably find it very hard to turn down either of the mankies for the benefit of my career and my own and my family's future.

The_Todd
30-08-2010, 04:34 PM
A bit harsh. I can understand it.

He's a Celtc fan (allegedly). He's about to double or triple his wage (possibly, depending on how little we're paying him) and about to be guaranteed either cup or league winners medals with his "boyhood team". I'm sure of us understand it even if we don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with Yogi understanding it either. It's just the reality of Scottish football.

Vini1875
30-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Och, behave yourself eh

There's faults in Yogi's tactics and team selections but do we really have to go through this with every single quote he comes out with?

John Hughes was an extremely limited footballer who made it too a far higher standard than he should have, for that he deserves credit, nothing to do with a lack of ambition, as for Stokes, a 21 year old guy thats already tried and failed in the premiership can you really not understand why he'd want to join Celtic for what'll probably be around 7 or 8 times his salary.

Exactly, Stokes already knocked them back to go to England. Maybe his ambition is now tempered with the reality that he still has a lot to learn and career wise it is a step up to go to celtc. A couple of good years there would see him earn really good money in England after wards.

hibee92
30-08-2010, 04:47 PM

:rolleyes:

RoYO!
30-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm finding it hard to find anything wrong with the op..

It is a lack of ambition to head west- I thought that was a given and commonly agreed.

And the talent isn't there in either case to make it in the prem or similar league

all IMO :cool2:

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm finding it hard to find anything wrong with the op..

It is a lack of ambition to head west- I thought that was a given and commonly agreed.

And the talent isn't there in either case to make it in the prem or similar league

all IMO :cool2:

So if the talent isn't there to go to the Premiership or a similar league, then surely he's maximising his ability by going to one of the two teams that can win the title in the league that he is good enough for :confused:

Jamesie
30-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I'll take the point that Hughes probably didn't have the ability to play in England at a higher level than Swansea.

But I'm sure Stokes could probably have joined a Championship side and earned about what he will be earning at Darkheid while testing himself at a level much higher than the SPL. That, in turn, might have given him the chance to have another crack at the Premiership - don't forget that at the time he was there last he was still a teenager. Some say he tried and failed. He should remember the motto of Leith - Persevere.

Perserverance was never one of Stokes' greatest attributes though and instead, he has taken the easy option of moving along the M8. I hope with all his cash he'll look back with fond memories of playing in a goldfish bowl at the end of his career and never having taken the chance to see if he could really hack it at the top.

The fact our manager can "possibly understand" a decision to join Celtic in these circumstances is pretty farcical IMHO.

Jamesie
30-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Exactly, Stokes already knocked them back to go to England. Maybe his ambition is now tempered with the reality that he still has a lot to learn and career wise it is a step up to go to celtc. A couple of good years there would see him earn really good money in England after wards.

You've raised a question in my mind as to how many players have left the Old Firm for England and made an impact.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

Shaun Maloney - Nope
Alan Hutton - Nope
Barry Ferguson - Doubt it

Any others? By contrast, Steven Fletcher - playing for Hibs before making the move south - has done exceptionally well.

I just don't think the Old Firm gives players the platform they want before moving to England - if anything, it might put them in a comfort zone "bubble" they struggle to recover from.

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 05:46 PM
You've raised a question in my mind as to how many players have left the Old Firm for England and made an impact.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

Shaun Maloney - Nope
Alan Hutton - Nope
Barry Ferguson - Doubt it

Any others?.

Ferguson was getting rave reviews for Birmingham last season.

And off the top of my head and in the recent past, Petrov, Cuellar and Charlie Adam have all done pretty well since they went down there.

RoYO!
30-08-2010, 05:52 PM
So if the talent isn't there to go to the Premiership or a similar league, then surely he's maximising his ability by going to one of the two teams that can win the title in the league that he is good enough for :confused:

You go to the prem to try to maximise your potential and develop. A la fletch

You go west to stagnate and sit on the bench. A la deeks and plenty others.

RoYO!
30-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Ferguson was getting rave reviews for Birmingham last season.

And off the top of my head and in the recent past, Petrov, Cuellar and Charlie Adam have all done pretty well since they went down there.

Arteta

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 05:56 PM
You go to the prem to try to maximise your potential and develop. A la fletch

You go west to stagnate and sit on the bench. A la deeks and plenty others.

He's already been to the Premiership and failed. And on loan in the Championship and didn't set the heather on fire.

Maybe he'll move to Glasgow and get a regular game like Brown, Thomson, Whittaker and plenty others?

bingo70
30-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I'll take the point that Hughes probably didn't have the ability to play in England at a higher level than Swansea.

But I'm sure Stokes could probably have joined a Championship side and earned about what he will be earning at Darkheid while testing himself at a level much higher than the SPL. That, in turn, might have given him the chance to have another crack at the Premiership - don't forget that at the time he was there last he was still a teenager. Some say he tried and failed. He should remember the motto of Leith - Persevere.

Perserverance was never one of Stokes' greatest attributes though and instead, he has taken the easy option of moving along the M8. I hope with all his cash he'll look back with fond memories of playing in a goldfish bowl at the end of his career and never having taken the chance to see if he could really hack it at the top.

The fact our manager can "possibly understand" a decision to join Celtic in these circumstances is pretty farcical IMHO.

What offer did he have from the championship?

If celtic are the only club in for him then that choice is taken out of his hands and as much as i hate to say it, he'd be crazy to turn them down to stay with us.

Jamesie
30-08-2010, 06:02 PM
What offer did he have from the championship?

If celtic are the only club in for him then that choice is taken out of his hands and as much as i hate to say it, he'd be crazy to turn them down to stay with us.

If he banged in 20+ goals again for us this season I'm sure there would have been more than one. Even come January they would have been circling if he was on that form again.

Mind you, Stokes may have had his own, personal reasons for wanting out of ER which perhaps weren't as career orientated as I'd like to think. Who knows.

Sir David Gray
30-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Yer normally a sensible chap Jamesie but that's just a daft post. It's his job when all's said and done and if he's gonna earn 4 or 5 x his present salary and most lkely win medals then how does moving to one of Scotland's two biggest clubs suggest he lacks ambition? Maybe it's the level of his ambition?

Take away the fact that unlike you and me, most of these guys aren't Hibs fans and it's all about earning as much as they can from a career which lasts for a relatively short period of time. In fact were I lucky enough to be in Stokes position, I'll be honest enough to admit that even as a die hard Hibby I'd probably find it very hard to turn down either of the mankies for the benefit of my career and my own and my family's future.

I will be honest enough to say that I would tell both of them to go and get stuffed. The pair of them are utterly vile institutions with repulsive supporters and I can honestly say that I would probably pull on a Hearts top before either a Celtic or Rangers one.

If you were a top earner at Hibs (for example, earning around £2-3k a week) over a period of around 12 years, you would make about £2 million by the time you get into your mid-thirties. Someone earning £50,000 a year, doing a "normal" job, would need to work for about 30 years before they would make that kind of money. Yet someone who is on that kind of salary would be deemed to be making a pretty good wage and these people and their families are all able to live quite privileged lives.

If a footballer at Hibs, who is earning around £150,000 a year over a period of about 12 years, cannot provide handsomely for their family's future, then I think they need to arrange a meeting with a financial adviser.

OK, I understand that everyone would quite like to get more money from their job but if I was attracting interest from Celtic or Rangers, given time, I would be attracting interest from clubs in the Championship/lower half of Premiership, where I would get a similar wage to what I would get at the Old Firm, possibly even more.

snooky
30-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I will be honest enough to say that I would tell both of them to go and get stuffed. The pair of them are utterly vile institutions with repulsive supporters and I can honestly say that I would probably pull on a Hearts top before either a Celtic or Rangers one.
If you were a top earner at Hibs (for example, earning around £2-3k a week) over a period of around 12 years, you would make about £2 million by the time you get into your mid-thirties. Someone earning £50,000 a year, doing a "normal" job, would need to work for about 30 years before they would make that kind of money. Yet someone who is on that kind of salary would be deemed to be making a pretty good wage and these people and their families are all able to live quite privileged lives.

If a footballer at Hibs, who is earning around £150,000 a year over a period of about 12 years, cannot provide handsomely for their family's future, then I think they need to arrange a meeting with a financial adviser.

OK, I understand that everyone would quite like to get more money from their job but if I was attracting interest from Celtic or Rangers, given time, I would be attracting interest from clubs in the Championship/lower half of Premiership, where I would get a similar wage to what I would get at the Old Firm, possibly even more.

I agree. My scruples wouldn't let me sign for the OF. Sell my soul to the devil? Nah.
Mind you, that's just me. :angelic:

The_Todd
30-08-2010, 06:50 PM
So to everyone saying they'd tell the OF where to go, I assume you'd also tell Hibs where to go if you ever had the chance to play for the team we all support?

For most players who sign for Celtc the p*** they often spout about Celtc being the team they supported as a boy is usually bull. In Stokes case it's true though.

At the end of the day, whether we like it or not he's getting the chance to substantially increase his earning power whilst playing for the team he supports. It's not all that complex/

PC Stamp
30-08-2010, 07:01 PM

And that FH is you illustrating perfectly what I was getting at. It's so easy to say that when you're a punter and you'll never be in the position of having to make such a decision. However pretty much EVERY player who has been in the position has made the move. And it goes back a lot further than Mogga's kids!

BEEJ
30-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I can honestly say that I would probably pull on a Hearts top before either a Celtic or Rangers one.
Steady on, Falkirk! :jamboak:

A bit of decorum and dignity please! We have certain standards on this site, you know.

By all means commit suicide rather than wear an OF strip but to contemplate ....... that ...... :sick: ... well, it smacks of sheer desperation if you ask me.

The Voice Of Reason
30-08-2010, 07:24 PM

:top marks

RoYO!
30-08-2010, 08:08 PM
He's already been to the Premiership and failed. And on loan in the Championship and didn't set the heather on fire.

Maybe he'll move to Glasgow and get a regular game like Brown, Thomson, Whittaker and plenty others?

He may well do, the state the Celtic strike force is in I expect him to do well there. However I would still question his ambition as the op does.