down the slope
30-08-2010, 11:19 AM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/St-Mirren-1-Hibs-0.6502143.jp
You could not make this up !.

bingo70
30-08-2010, 11:25 AM

What bit? Don't think he actually said that much in that article.

stokesmessiah
30-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Does that mean he knew the team he was putting out were not resolute or hard to beat??

Its good that he is at least acknowledging the problems but ffs we have all been saying that for about yr now.

Expecting Rain
30-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Sorry to be in such a negative mood today but i thought we tried the hard to beat bit in the 1st leg against Maribor by leaving our top scorers on the bench.

ionahibby
30-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The problem is he doesn't know what type of football he wants to play you either want to play slick fancy football or not make your mind up yogi :bitchy:

bingo70
30-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Does that mean he knew the team he was putting out were not resolute or hard to beat??

Its good that he is at least acknowledging the problems but ffs we have all been saying that for about yr now.

I think he's known and admitted that since day one, the difficuilt bit is finding that balance when all your best players are attacking ones.

If he'd tried it last season then we probably wouldn't have got into europe as there's no guarantee we'd have been better defensively but we might not have scored as many goals, now other teams are dealing with our attackers better he's going to have to look at changing things.

Maybe thats his masterplan, sell our best forwards and replace them with gash so the balance will be better :greengrin

johnbc70
30-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I am pretty sure he said something similar last season and it made no difference.

Another ex Falkirk players joins us today, let us remember he was one game away from getting relegated the season before last with Falkirk.

gackohibs
30-08-2010, 11:38 AM
i cant believe its taken him THIS long to finally work out that we need to be hard to beat.

yes us very demanding Hibbys want to see an attacking display every time, BUT we need a decent blend of hard are the back and fast going forward.

yogi, try a 442 first....

allezsauzee
30-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd prefer us to play football and accept that we sometimes lost out because of it....however its not like St Mirren needed to be particularly combative against us yesterday. Yogi complained that we weren't getting enough crosses in but how could we do that if we weren't playing with any width? Any time Thicot came forward he was playing it inside. Deek is never going to run down the flank get to the bye line. I admire Yogi's desire to play passing football but there just seems to be no game plan other than that!

bingo70
30-08-2010, 11:44 AM
i cant believe its taken him THIS long to finally work out that we need to be hard to beat.

yes us very demanding Hibbys want to see an attacking display every time, BUT we need a decent blend of hard are the back and fast going forward.

yogi, try a 442 first....

He's known that but how do you do that without sacrificing our best attacking players? Both Yogi and Mixu struggled with this.

I know everyone bangs on about 442 but it doesnae always work when your up against teams with a five man midfield, you get completely over run and get no benefit when you do have the ball, it's an outdated formation which is why less and less of the top teams are playing it.

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Another ex Falkirk players joins us today, let us remember he was one game away from getting relegated the season before last with Falkirk.

Remember he was also one game away from winning the Scottish Cup in the same season

gackohibs
30-08-2010, 11:47 AM
He's known that but how do you do that without sacrificing our best attacking players? Both Yogi and Mixu struggled with this.

I know everyone bangs on about 442 but it doesnae always work when your up against teams with a five man midfield, you get completely over run and get no benefit when you do have the ball, it's an outdated formation which is why less and less of the top teams are playing it.

fair doos. lets start with dumping hogg and bringing in a decent CH.
A right winger would be fantastic too.

3pm
30-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I actually despair.

He arrived and he said he's sort out the soft centre that he tried to exploit when he was at Falkirk. I am paraphrasing here but it's something along the lines of 'I always felt we could get at Hibs'.

14 months on - and 3 transfer windows on - and the same areas need addressed and is plain for all to see. :agree:

He's so cliched it's unreal. If there was a Champions League for talking, Hughes would be in it and above all, would be in with a chance of winning it. :blah:

Tick, tock...

MB62
30-08-2010, 11:56 AM
fair doos. lets start with dumping hogg and bringing in a decent CH.
A right winger would be fantastic too.

Or any winger for that matter, or at least somebody who can play as a winger and not a centre forward.

Yogi has apparently asked us to lower our expectations. Well my expectations are presently to avoid relegation, hopefully he doesn't want us to lower them any further than that :brickwall

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 11:58 AM
He has to have some first before he rethinks them surely???

gackohibs
30-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Or any winger for that matter, or at least somebody who can play as a winger and not a centre forward.

Yogi has apparently asked us to lower our expectations. Well my expectations are presently to avoid relegation, hopefully he doesn't want us to lower them any further than that :brickwall

well said.

were crying out for any winger! or if we are so one dimensional in the middle at least we have someone supply deek to his feet!

allezsauzee
30-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Well we have a speedy winger in Galbraith, so its high time that Yogi gave him a run. Get Deek up front and Wotherspoon on the right wing.

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2010, 12:01 PM
What tactics?

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 12:02 PM

We are defo turning into Falkirk Mk2:rolleyes:

offshorehibby
30-08-2010, 12:32 PM
From day one he should have been building from the back a good strong back 4 that can defend and slowly build from there. He's got to stop playing his favourites for the sake of playing them. Also stop taking defenders of and putting more forwards on if plan A is not working

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2010, 12:52 PM
From day one he should have been building from the back a good strong back 4 that can defend and slowly build from there.
:top marks

stokesmessiah
30-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Well we have a speedy winger in Galbraith, so its high time that Yogi gave him a run. Get Deek up front and Wotherspoon on the right wing.

He needs a break imo. :rolleyes:

J-C
30-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I think like all of us Hughes wants the attacking flowing football but realises winning games is more important. It's all very well looking good but if you can't win what's the use of playing

totalfootball
30-08-2010, 02:08 PM
People go on about 442 but as far as I can see that is what yogi constantly plays! We are horrendously narrow, Wotherspoon yeasterday and De graaf last week always look to play inside on the right and Riordan does the same on the other side! we have no balance at all! TBH I would like to see a wee change for the caley game and depending on players available I would play Galbraith on the right of a front 3 and Riordan on the left not sure who as the main striker as I think theres gonna be another 1 in nd stokes out!

Tyler Durden
30-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I totally agree with you Total Football.

We have quite often played 442 but the personnel selected and the style of play don't work. Deek should never be wide left of a midfield 4 IMO.

I would also like to see Deek on the left of a 3 with Galbraith on the right. At the moment looks like Duffy would have to play the solo central role. Where we've struggled in this 4-2-3-1 system is who else fills midfield? I'd have Miller as the advanced player but we're seriously short of decent defensive options. Bamba is perfect for a holding role as he proved under Mixu but he's needed at the back. McBride and Murray are painfully slow but probably our best options for now. Those 2 sitting would surely make us tougher to beat. However, Hughes identified the lack of a physical presence in midfield as a huge weakness prior to the end of last season but he's given us nothing to remedy this. If De Graff was his answer then he's more deluded than I thought.

Phil MaGlass
30-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Wheres the Should Yogi be sacked yes or no poll when you need it.

calumb
30-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I think like all of us Hughes wants the attacking flowing football but realises winning games is more important. It's all very well looking good but if you can't win what's the use of playing

Hughes has never shown any sign of playing attacking flowing football. We don't look good and we can't win games.

his only plan as with mixus was to get the ball as quickly as possible up the park to nish in the hope he can knock it down or lay it off to one of the other stranded forwards. Its not flowing or expansive its hoofball plain and simple.

bingo70
30-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Hughes has never shown any sign of playing attacking flowing football. We don't look good and we can't win games.

his only plan as with mixus was to get the ball as quickly as possible up the park to nish in the hope he can knock it down or lay it off to one of the other stranded forwards. Its not flowing or expansive its hoofball plain and simple.

Thats absolute pish.

I agree its not been free flowing but we're trying to build the ball slowly from the back, too slowly at times, unfortunately we've not done very well at that as we just don't have the players to play it so inevitably when we're chasing the game we end up lumping it up the park but to say its the same as Mixu is just plain not true

totalfootball
30-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I totally agree with you Total Football.

We have quite often played 442 but the personnel selected and the style of play don't work. Deek should never be wide left of a midfield 4 IMO.

I would also like to see Deek on the left of a 3 with Galbraith on the right. At the moment looks like Duffy would have to play the solo central role. Where we've struggled in this 4-2-3-1 system is who else fills midfield? I'd have Miller as the advanced player but we're seriously short of decent defensive options. Bamba is perfect for a holding role as he proved under Mixu but he's needed at the back. McBride and Murray are painfully slow but probably our best options for now. Those 2 sitting would surely make us tougher to beat. However, Hughes identified the lack of a physical presence in midfield as a huge weakness prior to the end of last season but he's given us nothing to remedy this. If De Graff was his answer then he's more deluded than I thought.

Im glad someone agrees, people seem to think Riordan has always played left mid in a 442 but as I've said befor he has only ever played that role since his return to Hibs (I think he occassionally played there for celtic) my point is surely with a stronger midfield base we would match up to teams better and this would allow us to get the likes of Deek in to the game!

I agree with you that at the time being Duffy would be the one up top but lets see come september the 1st. As for a midfield trio you'd have to say Miller Mcbride and possibly De Graff although he hasnt impressed me. Maybe Wotherspoon in there or Rankin but I definitely think this is an area we could do with some pace! Someone athletic such as Bamba who can go by a player rather than constantly side way passing would really help. It creates space and will allow us to feed Riordan duffy and whoever else with genuine oppurtunities

calumb
30-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Thats absolute pish.

I agree its not been free flowing but we're trying to build the ball slowly from the back, too slowly at times, unfortunately we've not done very well at that as we just don't have the players to play it so inevitably when we're chasing the game we end up lumping it up the park but to say its the same as Mixu is just plain not true

if you count our defense tipping it to the midfield and then the midfield tipping it to each other as a slow build up then ok, but the result is usually they lose the ball or end up hitting it long.
Ok so its not exactly like mixu but the result is generally the same.

bingo70
30-08-2010, 03:06 PM
if you count our defense tipping it to the midfield and then the midfield tipping it to each other as a slow build up then ok, but the result is usually they lose the ball or end up hitting it long.
Ok so its not exactly like mixu but the result is generally the same.

Thats completely different though, if we were just trying to get it as forward as quickly as possible like we did under Mixu then we wouldn't do the tippy tappy stuff from defence to midfield then back to defence again.

Right now, i think the intent is there to try and play football we're just not good enough to play it, this is where Yogi needs to re-think the tactics, right now we would probably be just better going back to the Williamson/Mixu days of lumping it forward as quickly as possible.

calumb
30-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Thats completely different though, if we were just trying to get it as forward as quickly as possible like we did under Mixu then we wouldn't do the tippy tappy stuff from defence to midfield then back to defence again.

Right now, i think the intent is there to try and play football we're just not good enough to play it, this is where Yogi needs to re-think the tactics, right now we would probably be just better going back to the Williamson/Mixu days of lumping it forward as quickly as possible.

Agreed, if we had a decent target man then it would at least be something that resembles a tatic to hit it long, we hit long all the time to a guy thats not suited to playing the role.
Hughes talks about expansive flowing attacking football buts thats all it is talk, how can you hope to expand a game without having any width in the team and by being as one paced as its possible to be.

Beefster
30-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Hughes should be banned from speaking to the press. Let Rice or Evans do it.

Gala Foxes
30-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Our Manager admits in the Evening News that Stokes was not in the right frame of mind yesterday - so he leaves him on and subs Riordan ?

PISTOL1875
30-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Agreed, if we had a decent target man then it would at least be something that resembles a tatic to hit it long, we hit long all the time to a guy thats not suited to playing the role.
Hughes talks about expansive flowing attacking football buts thats all it is talk, how can you hope to expand a game without having any width in the team and by being as one paced as its possible to be.

Another thing that baffles me is that he went on during the summer about how wonderful it would be to have the extra width from the new park but we play the ball through the middle and don't use that option...

calumb
30-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Another thing that baffles me is that he went on during the summer about how wonderful it would be to have the extra width from the new park but we play the ball through the middle and don't use that option...

I honestly believe that when hughes talks about attacking football it like a chinese player thats just signed for celtic claiming he always supported the hoops as a boy. He knows what we all want to hear so just says it. He's not got a clue how to deliver it but if he keeps repeating it he will keep the vast amount of the support happy.

I believe its time to start again and start bringing all the young guys like Hanlon, Booth, Byrne, Welsh, Currie, Galbraith etc into the team, I reckon young players will play more on instinct and tend to ignore the slavering coming from the side lines. We might not finish third but at least it would be more interesting than what happened yesterday.

PISTOL1875
30-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I honestly believe that when hughes talks about attacking football it like a chinese player thats just signed for celtic claiming he always supported the hoops as a boy. He knows what we all want to hear so just says it. He's not got a clue how to deliver it but if he keeps repeating it he will keep the vast amount of the support happy.

I believe its time to start again and start bringing all the young guys like Hanlon, Booth, Byrne, Welsh, Currie, Galbraith etc into the team, I reckon young players will play more on instinct and tend to ignore the slavering coming from the side lines. We might not finish third but at least it would be more interesting than what happened yesterday.

He doesn't have a clue in the slightest.. We got away with so many results in the early part of last season because we were an unknown quantity.. Teams soon cottened on to how we wanted to play and we became predictable....

When results were going against us in the 2nd half of last season that's when JH had to earn his dough and change it to stop us getting beat and picking up poor results..

However , nothing changed and we had a terrible second half of the season...

I would love to see the younger players getting a chance.. Results would maybe stay the same but at least we had a future bunch of first teamers on the pitch who would give there all....

Davy Mac
30-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I think the EN are being quite lenient with Yogi over the last 8 months.

He does seem to think he is untouchable at the moment.

down the slope
30-08-2010, 10:17 PM
When does David Hardie ever ask a serious question ?, it must be the easiest Journo job on the planet as all he does is repeat what ever dross that Hughes spouts.

AgentDaleCooper
30-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Remember he was also one game away from winning the Scottish Cup in the same season

without wanting to be overly negative, i don't think a cup run says as much about a manager's ability as a relegation near-miss...