PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Duffy signs on loan (official)

Pages : [1] 2

Pete70
30-08-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100830/duffy-signs_2262950_2139415

offshorehibby
30-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Main site saying Darryl Duffy has signed.

TowerHibs
30-08-2010, 10:31 AM
were Falkirk that good 4/5 years ago?

ionahibby
30-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Another ex falkirk player surprise surprise :bitchy:

Toaods
30-08-2010, 10:32 AM
as a replacement for Stokes......laughable.

as a replacement for Deek....not even under starters orders.

as a replacement for Nish.....would make no sense.

as an addition to our 'squad'.... average at best.

nb expect Stokes to be announced at Sellick later today then??

BSEJVT
30-08-2010, 10:34 AM

So we freed Benji and signed this guy

Makes no sense whatsoever

Looks like the board are going to stick with Hughes as well.

bingo70
30-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Another ex falkirk player surprise surprise :bitchy:

Aye, that'll be two now, disaster :grr:

TBH i shouldn't laugh but i think it's actually quite funny, the timing of this couldn't be any worse, it's going to be absolute carnage on here.

Greenblood70
30-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Totally underwhelmed:bitchy::yawn:

sambajustice
30-08-2010, 10:36 AM
i'm going to cry!

SlickShoes
30-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Underwhelming signing, im losing all hope, i though we could start the season well and forget last february-may fiasco but its just more of the same!

ionahibby

TBH i shouldn't laugh but i think it's actually quite funny, the timing of this couldn't be any worse, it's going to be absolute carnage on here.

:agree: Was feeling quite down after yesterday's defeat can't say this signing has made me feel any better tbh

SaudiHibby
This is now officially a piss take :bitchy:

bighairyfaeleith
30-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope he works out well but I'm not fiddling with my bits at the thought of it!!

Twa Cairpets
30-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Ignoring the back story of Stokes/Hughes, is Duffy not actually a decent signing? I saw him play for Carlisle last year and he was pretty good. :tin hat:

I think at least he should be allowed to put a strip on before he gets hammered for not being Hibs class.

khib70
30-08-2010, 10:40 AM

nb expect Stokes to be announced at Sellick later today then??
:agree:Spot on. Thoroughly depressing. When can we expect the arrival of the Falkirk kit man, programme sellers and pie hut staff?

If this is supposed to cheer us up over the imminent departure of Stokes, then Yogi and RP are even more out of touch with the fans than I previously thought.

mikey1875
30-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Main site saying Darryl Duffy has signed.

He couldnt even get into the Bristol Rover team! :confused:

This is gonna be a long season

bingo70
30-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I hope he works out well but I'm not fiddling with my bits at the thought of it!!

:hilarious

We needed a fourth striker, if thats what he's signed to be then i'd be ok with that, if he's signed as the replacement for Stokes i'm going to wait till the end of the season then throw my completed season ticket onto the pitch in protest :agree:

ahibby
30-08-2010, 10:43 AM
A player in who wants to play for the club and one out (perhaps) who wants to be elsewhere, so I guess we are better off in a way. I doubt whether we have replaced the goals we are losing with Stokes exit but we should have at least one more signing in before too long, I hope.

Toaods
30-08-2010, 10:43 AM
...unless we are getting it all wrong, he wants deeks out so he can link up

Stokes, Gow and Duffy...:dizzy:

Spike Mandela
30-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Give me strength:rolleyes: You couldn't make it up:bitchy:

Is this a Class 'A' player????

Iain G
Actually a pretty good signing for us, does know where the back of the net is, and FFS give him a bloody chance before condeming him.

Whether Stokes goes or not, we needed another option up front which this is, welcome to the Hibees Daryll, I hope it all goes well for you and you get amongst the goals pretty quickly and ignore the miserable barstewards on here :wink: :thumbsup:

Hibby 2005
A loan deal for 6 months is interesting as it would seem to suggest that Petrie is not letting Yogi make any long-term signings.

johncrobertson@
Loan deal therefore the Board have not trusted Yogi with transfer funds. Stokes wages will be used for a few loan deals at best. Can't believe with all of his supposed contacts he keeps having to go back for ex Falkirk players.

euro Hibby
30-08-2010, 10:45 AM
hopefully we are all going to be wrong..........certainly not the type of signing to fill Easter road. At least its only a loan until end of season.

Joe's ice cream
30-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Ignoring the back story of Stokes/Hughes, is Duffy not actually a decent signing? I saw him play for Carlisle last year and he was pretty good. :tin hat:

I think at least he should be allowed to put a strip on before he gets hammered for not being Hibs class.

Fully agree, here we go again dismissing a player before he has even started for us!!!

khib70
Actually a pretty good signing for us, does know where the back of the net is, and FFS give him a bloody chance before condeming him.

Whether Stokes goes or not, we needed another option up front which this is, welcome to the Hibees Daryll, I hope it all goes well for you and you get amongst the goals pretty quickly and ignore the miserable barstewards on here :wink: :thumbsup:
He might know where it is, but he doesn't go there very often. 16 goals in 73 games for Bristol Rovers - a bottom of League 1 outfit. Wow

Budgey
I think he should be given a chance before we all go out and critcize him. :agree:

down the slope
I can see the punters flocking back to ER at the thought of this one, why not change our colours to dark blue and have done with it, Falkirk MK 2.

Jack
30-08-2010, 10:49 AM
His best time was in the SPL, his best game was against us 19.11.2005. He scored 2, Gow got the other. I wonder if Gow is coming back too?

Iain G
30-08-2010, 10:49 AM
He might know where it is, but he doesn't go there very often. 16 goals in 73 games for Bristol Rovers - a bottom of League 1 outfit. Wow

WHat and you've written him off already then have you :grr:

Spike Mandela
30-08-2010, 10:50 AM
hopefully we are all going to be wrong..........certainly not the type of signing to fill Easter road. At least its only a loan until end of season.

He travels the length and breadth of the country for an extensive knowledge of ex Falkirk players I'll have you know:wink:

ahibby
30-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Fans frustrations Celtic fans not impressed with Stokes and Hibs fans not impressed with Duffy, what a footballing world we live in! Both sets of fans have to give the players a chance to show what they can do.

SaudiHibby
30-08-2010, 10:51 AM
We have become a very well managed Property Company :bye:

GloryGlory
30-08-2010, 10:51 AM
John Hughes is metamorphosing into Duff Jimmy before our very eyes!

khib70
30-08-2010, 10:52 AM
:agree:Yup

Big90inOz
Wouldn't matter if Yogi signed the entire Spanish World Cup team, he would still bugger them up with strange tactics and playing them out of position.

Spike Mandela

Get a grip can't you see the dilution of talent tht's happening right in front of you man.

You and your new empty east stand deserve each other.

Sylar
30-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't matter if Yogi signed the entire Spanish World Cup team, he would still get nothing but crap from some of our "supporters".

Fixed that for you :wink:

Hibs90
Meh.

bingo70

I'm guessing as they were near the bottom of there league they won't have been creating many chances for him?

People have been criticising De Graaf yet he came from a high standard, there's no exact science to it, some players will work at some clubs, some won't.

No sure this idea of giving him a chance before slating him will catch on though, seems a bit wacky

TowerHibs
30-08-2010, 10:55 AM
He travels the length and breadth of the country for an extensive knowledge of ex Falkirk players I'll have you know:wink:

you can't say things like that.....500miles will e on your case just now saying that he is entitled to text his old pals asking if they want a game

Iain G
30-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Get a grip can't you see the dilution of talent tht's happening right in front of you man.

You and your new empty east stand deserve each other.

Oh stop being a miserable old fart, its only football, we're Hibs, we're supposed to be a bit crap and not do as well as our fans somehow think we should FFS :greengrin

Gatecrasher
30-08-2010, 10:57 AM
1 and a half pages in and ill be the first to welcome him to the club, i hope folk give you a chance and i hope you make a good impact on the season, good enough to make the move for good :thumbsup:

ionahibby
30-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Could have been worse i suppose could have been gow we signed :greengrin

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 10:58 AM
1 and a half pages in and ill be the first to welcome him to the club, i hope folk give you a chance and i hope you make a good impact on the season, good enough to make the move for good :thumbsup:

:agree:

Seem to remember he has a bit of pace as well, which is something we've been sadly lacking.

Musselbound
30-08-2010, 11:01 AM
:hilarious

We needed a fourth striker, if thats what he's signed to be then i'd be ok with that, if he's signed as the replacement for Stokes i'm going to wait till the end of the season then throw my completed season ticket onto the pitch in protest :agree:

A player in who wants to play for the club and one out (perhaps) who wants to be elsewhere, so I guess we are better off in a way. I doubt whether we have replaced the goals we are losing with Stokes exit but we should have at least one more signing in before too long, I hope.

Agree with these sentiments. Our substitutions yesterday when we were chasing the game, Murray and Rankin, showed we were already short of options up front. Could be a decent addition but I doubt very much if he is an adequate replacement for Stokes.

SaudiHibby
Accepting mediocrity seems to be the way at Hibs now so welcome Daryl, you will fit right in to the set up at Hibs and be a fan favourite. :grr:

mglancy23
Could have been worse i suppose could have been gow we signed :greengrin

still time :greengrin

bawheid
30-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Unsurprising the guy's been written off by our drama queen support before he's completed his first training session.

Welcome to Hibs Darryl, and good luck...

Westie1875
30-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Underwhelmed but will give him a chance.

Antifa Hibs
30-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Woopy *** doo.

£405 to see Nish and Duffy upfront. To see one of the leagues fastest wingers at left back, an absulute huddy at centre back, a manger who takes off our most talented player going forward to bring on a defender.

Yogi, Petrie, GTF!!!!

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 11:05 AM
still time :greengrin

Won't happen - Gow will be going elsewhere in the SPL

marinello59
30-08-2010, 11:06 AM
All the best Darryl Duffy. Welcome to Hibs. :thumbsup:

Spike Mandela
30-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Oh stop being a miserable old fart, its only football, we're Hibs, we're supposed to be a bit crap and not do as well as our fans somehow think we should FFS :greengrin

Apologies for taking my frustration out on you Iain but I'm at the age where I've better things to do these days than swallow the same old bull**** from Hibs. After forking out for a ST yet again(and one of the most expensive in the SPL) we see the last minute rush for star players to exit and cheap rushed deals brought in.

I used to laugh it off like yourself but to be honest I am so disillusioned with the lack of team progress at Hibs that the thought of committing myself to watching dross is really so unappealing.

My new shift pattern requires effort by me to arrange swaps and time off to get to all the ST games but honestly don't think I'll bother. I have a feeling many others will be the same.

scott7_0(Prague)
30-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Woopy *** doo.

£405 to see Nish and Duffy upfront. To see one of the leagues fastest wingers at left back, an absulute huddy at centre back, a manger who takes off our most talented player going forward to bring on a defender.

Yogi, Petrie, GTF!!!!

So you only bought your ST to see Stokes!! :grr:

proud_and_green
30-08-2010, 11:11 AM
So we freed Benji and signed this guy

Makes no sense whatsoever

Looks like the board are going to stick with Hughes as well.

Absolutley ridiculous!!! Benji should never have been released.

Iain G
30-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Apologies for taking my frustration out on you Iain but I'm at the age where I've better things to do these days than swallow the same old bull**** from Hibs. After forking out for a ST yet again(and one of the most expensive in the SPL) we see the last minute rush for star players to exit and cheap rushed deals brought in.

I used to laugh it off like yourself but to be honest I am so disillusioned with the lack of team progress at Hibs that the thought of committing myself to watching dross is really so unappealing.

My new shift pattern requires effort by me to arrange swaps and time off to get to all the ST games but honestly don't think I'll bother. I have a feeling many others will be the same.

Try moving to the other side of the world, it does wonders for your Hibs perspective, just don't get me started on Wellington Phoenix so far this year... :wink::greengrin

Antifa Hibs
30-08-2010, 11:16 AM
So you only bought your ST to see Stokes!! :grr:

No, I bought a season ticket (second dearest in the league) to see players better than a Bristol Rovers reserve. To see a team going forward and progressing, not backwards. I also bought it in the hope that Yogi will be gone by October :cool2:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Couldnae agree more, much as I hate to say it, the next few months could be a real eye opener for the people running our club! :grr:

essexhibee
30-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Woopy *** doo.

Yogi, Petrie, GTF!!!!

:top marks

Great post, totally agree. Obviously dont have a season ticket but feel sorry for those who have with whats happening with the team.

Yogi is a joke of a manager and has successfully ruined a team he was giving lots of funds for.

hibsbollah
30-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Sorry not to join in the general wailing and gnashing of teeth but I remember him as a decent player, having plenty of pace, which we need.

He's not a direct replacement for Stokes, I think he's more likely to be Yogi's idea of a replacement for Benji.

Welcome to Hibs:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
30-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Good luck to him.

500miles
30-08-2010, 11:20 AM
9 goals in half a season in the SPL. 27 in the 1st Division season of Falkirks promotion.

All a few seasons ago now, but if he settles, and Hughes can get the most out of him, then he may well be of use. Interesting to read that just under half of his games at Bristol were from the bench, which puts his goalscoring record in a bit of a different light, but makes one wonder why he was relegated to the bench.

Time will tell, and the boy should get some of that before we're ready to jump all over him. Noone had a kind word to say about McBride when we signed him if you think back - be it Falkirk or Motherwell.

It's not as if we're flush with pace at the moment. Hopefully he's still got it.

Hibernian Verse
30-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Do we honestly expect another Stokes? Really? Can we afford to spend 2.5m? Realistically?

No, No, No and No.

scott7_0(Prague)
30-08-2010, 11:21 AM
No, I bought a season ticket (second dearest in the league) to see players better than a Bristol Rovers reserve. To see a team going forward and progressing, not backwards. I also bought it in the hope that Yogi will be gone by October :cool2:

Seems your setting your expectations a tad too high!

IWasThere2016
30-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Can we really afford and expect more ex-Falkirk players? Realistically?

Yes, and yes - oh and yes

Hibernian Verse
30-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Can we really afford and expect more ex-Falkirk players? Realistically?

Yes, and yes - oh and yes

:greengrin Well as someone pointed out, his record in Scotland is pretty good, so let's just give him a month or two and then we'll reassess. Whether he's played for Falkirk or not should make no difference, if he comes up with the goods we'll be talking about a decent signing. We'll see.

Andy74
30-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I'll certainly be reaching for the Class A's soon.

Chuckie
30-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Why don't we try and tempt Kevin Drinkell out of retirement ?

Richard Cadette might be worth a wee look too. He scored loads in the First Division.

HibbyAndy
30-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Richard Cadette might be worth a wee look too. He scored loads in the First Division.

Wonder how auld Crawford Baptie is now :hmmm:

Iain G
30-08-2010, 11:35 AM
:greengrin Well as someone pointed out, his record in Scotland is pretty good, so let's just give him a month or two and then we'll reassess. Whether he's played for Falkirk or not should make no difference, if he comes up with the goods we'll be talking about a decent signing. We'll see.

I seem to recall a general clamour on here that we should have looked at signing him before he went South... :agree:

Mibbes Aye
30-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I seem to recall a general clamour on here that we should have looked at signing him before he went South... :agree:

Duffy was a regular shout on here as a player who we should be looking at.

IanM
30-08-2010, 11:38 AM
taken from the Bristol Rovers forumabout Duffy

Good news. He has been nothing short of b*llocks since he has been here. I wont hold my breath in us bringing anybody else in though. Also it just goes to show how sh*t scottish football is

never a truer word spoken

Makalambay
30-08-2010, 11:39 AM
This site really is laughable sometimes, we sign a guy, who without kicking a ball, is getting lambasted and labeled as not good enough. We need to get down off our high horse and be realistic. I would really like to know, from the posters that knock this guy, who they would suggest as a signing target?

Good luck to Duffy, lets give him a chance.

JE89
30-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Jesus Christ. The boy hasn't played yet and people are already spitting the dummy out. Everyone thought McBride was a bad signing. Give the lad a chance for God's sake

Mibbes Aye
30-08-2010, 11:40 AM

I suppose you asked for a refund when we signed a part-timer from an Irish semi-professional side?

500miles
30-08-2010, 11:42 AM
I suppose you asked for a refund when we signed a part-timer from an Irish semi-professional side?

And a regular bench warmer at that IIRC....

Carheenlea
30-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm going to boo him on to the park when he makes his debut.:agree:

Franck is God

There definitely was, I think it is a good signing and one that would have been made regardless of the Stokes situation. I'm also not concerned that it is a loan deal, just suggests that the situation is similar to that of Gow last window, Bristol obviously want him off their wage bill but might want a fee too, Hibs want the player but don't want to hand over the cash, suits everyone as far as I can see.

And as for signing yet another ex-Falkirk player...McBride has been a good signing, so was Stokes and we could be seeing a healthy profit from him. Cregg was a bit of a disappointment but our team is hardly awash with their ex players.

Spike Mandela
Jesus Christ. The boy hasn't played yet and people are already spitting the dummy out. Everyone thought McBride was a bad signing. Give the lad a chance for God's sake

I get your point Jevitt but the fact many seem to see McBride as a great signing shows how very low we have sunk IMO.

Toaods
30-08-2010, 11:50 AM

....he's probably our 'contacts'

Good news. He has been nothing short of b*llocks since he has been here. I wont hold my breath in us bringing anybody else in though. Also it just goes to show how sh*t scottish football is

:faf:....will no doubt be vilified but so true.

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Not overwhelmed about this one.
IF he is a replacement for Stokes, he falls way short of the mark.
IF he is just a replacement for Benji...again short.
He is not, IMHO, better than what we have. We need someone who is going to push for a place in the squad, keeping the others on their toes. He does not fit into that catagory either.

Still I could, and I hope I am, wrong.

Mikey
30-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Sorry not to join in the general wailing and gnashing of teeth but I remember him as a decent player, having plenty of pace, which we need.

He's not a direct replacement for Stokes, I think he's more likely to be Yogi's idea of a replacement for Benji.

Welcome to Hibs:thumbsup:

We certainly need to give the lad a chance.

Caroline Hibby
30-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Just been on BR fans' website and they're not exactly disappointed to seem him go, with the odd exception. Anyone who signs must be given a chance, so good luck son and shut the moaners up. However, I do worry about Hughes' obsession with ex Falkirk players. Surely our scouting network must identify other signings with no Falkirk connection. I'm expecting another couple of players judging by Hughes' comments yesterday. Centre back a must IMO but unlikely as Hughes' obviously thinks Hogg's good, and a wide right midfielder with a bit of pace the other priority. We're still lightweight in midfield and the sight of Rankin and Miller skipping about like u/13's makes me cringe - although I thought Miller was ok yesterday - one 'playmaker' is enough. Still don't see why we can't have Bamba/Murray pushing into midfield. Certainly is make or break for Yogi.

Scorrie
Not sure about Duffy but I will wait to see him before commenting. Hope he does well anyway so good luck to him.

Devine
Firstly, good luck to the guy had a decent record up here a few years ago and lets hope the gamble pays off.

BUT Yogis signing policy sums him up perfectly. Sticks to one plan, what he knows and a complete lack of ability to change/see a different way of doing things.

Totally underwhelmed to be selling an ROI international and bringing in a lower league failure on sweeties as a replacement not to mention the greater need for a physical presence up front.

johncrobertson@
30-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Interesting that it says on Bristol Rovers official site that he travelled up for a medical on Saturday. Would hibs have done the deal whether Stokes is going or not. Hope it was the case that this signing was to strengthen our options up front.

Fat Penlon
30-08-2010, 11:54 AM
There definitely was, I think it is a good signing and one that would have been made regardless of the Stokes situation. I'm also not concerned that it is a loan deal, just suggests that the situation is similar to that of Gow last window, Bristol obviously want him off their wage bill but might want a fee too, Hibs want the player but don't want to hand over the cash, suits everyone as far as I can see.

And as for signing yet another ex-Falkirk player...McBride has been a good signing, so was Stokes and we could be seeing a healthy profit from him. Cregg was a bit of a disappointment but our team is hardly awash with their ex players.

Dont forget he missed out on Barr, Arfield and the keeper who's name escapes me.

3pm
30-08-2010, 11:57 AM
This softens the news about Stokes. He might not get 23 goals but he'll try hard. Come on the Cabbage.

johncrobertson@
30-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Dont forget he missed out on Barr, Arfield and the keeper who's name escapes me.

Spot on - he tried to sign Danny Mallo GK but was unable to agree terms.

M11BMO
30-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Fingers crossed he does well for us.

Anyone else becoming slightly disillusioned by the Deja Vu of ex Falkirk players signing at every opportunity?

It's giving me the dry boak...

Beefster
30-08-2010, 12:00 PM
When do we sign McNamara, Pressley and Neil McCann?

7Hero
30-08-2010, 12:00 PM
im amazed you are all so"up in arms", we have sold quality and bought replacements deemed substandard (ill give him the benefit of the doubt) since, well, as long as i can remember.

Shouldn't surprise a single person, we are a selling club, end of story.

Good luck darryl, i look forward to watching a forward who tries hard and has a bit of pace about them.

Franck is God
30-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I get your point Jevitt but the fact many seem to see McBride as a great signing shows how very low we have sunk IMO.

Low from where? This is a point of view I just don't get.

What exactly in the glittering history of Hibernian football club leads you to believe that we are currently below our potential level?

I'm not trying to be negative by the way just inject a bit of realism, I've rarely missed a home game since the mid 80s and to be honest I'm pretty happy about how things are going right now. Of course I'm pissed off when we don't play well or lose games but so far this season we have played three matches, two away from home and our home game was against the current champions whom we were playing pretty well against I thought.

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 12:04 PM
im amazed you are all so"up in arms", we have sold quality and bought replacements deemed substandard (ill give him the benefit of the doubt) since, well, as long as i can remember.

Good luck darryl, i look forward to watching a forward who tries hard and has a bit of pace about them.

Yogi will soon sort that out.

GreenPJ
30-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Is being a Hibs fan reading what Hibs fans write actually more demoralising than actually being a Hibs fan :dizzy:

Gerard
30-08-2010, 12:06 PM
i'm going to cry!

Get a hankie please:wink::greengrin
I might join you when I find mine:wink:
Gerard

Sir David Gray
30-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I can't say I'm too excited by Darryl Duffy coming in, even if it is only on loan for a season.

Assuming that Stokes goes over the next 24 hours or so, that only leaves Riordan, Nish and Duffy as our strikers and I wouldn't be too confident about that. I would hope that another striker will come in later today or tomorrow.

PaulSmith
30-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Is being a Hibs fan reading what Hibs fans write actually more demoralising than actually being a Hibs fan :dizzy:

Yes!

bingo70
30-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Fingers crossed he does well for us.

Anyone else becoming slightly disillusioned by the Deja Vu of ex Falkirk players signing at every opportunity?

It's giving me the dry boak...

no, your the first person to mention it.

Every club is, it's just the way of the footballing world.

TowerHibs
30-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Get a hankie please:wink::greengrin
I might join yuo when I find mine:wink:
Gerard

surely a man who is online has a supply of hankies at the ready!!!!!

:greengrin

Chuckie
30-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm going to boo him on to the park when he makes his debut.:agree:

I'm going up to East Mains with my 'Duffy Out' banner. :agree:

I knew it would come in handy again some day.

Franck is God
30-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Do you think any of those would have been poor signings?

I was never too fussed about Barr, didn't think he was all that but at the time we had a problem at right back and he would have been a good signing. Arfield is an excellent midfielder and a lot of sides were chasing his signature and would have been a great signing if we'd had got him.

only ever saw Mallo against us, again when we were linked with him most on this board were pretty happy about it as I recall.

7Hero
30-08-2010, 12:11 PM
no, your the first person to mention it.

Every club is, it's just the way of the footballing world.

think you'll find we are more of a selling club than most clubs and that our current situation and way the club is managed means we are more intent on selling than investing in the team.

im not complaining about it, just stating that people should get used to it.

CraigHibee
30-08-2010, 12:12 PM

BEEJ
30-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Interesting that it says on Bristol Rovers official site that he travelled up for a medical on Saturday. Would hibs have done the deal whether Stokes is going or not. Hope it was the case that this signing was to strengthen our options up front.
:agree: I think this is one of those signings that Yogi was referring to before the weekend where he was hoping just to add to the current squad. A balanced squad needs at least 4 strikers and Duffy would have been seen, as others have said, as the Benji replacement.

Unfortunately the timing is such that it is now being linked with the possible transfer of Stokes. If the latter happens I'm sure we will bring in another striker.

This softens the news about Stokes. He might not get 23 goals but he'll try hard. Come on the Cabbage.
Erm ... not it doesn't. :no way:

Anyway good luck to Darryl and I hope he can turn it on for his new club.

Chuckie
30-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I can't say I'm too excited by Darryl Duffy coming in, even if it is only on loan for a season.

Assuming that Stokes goes over the next 24 hours or so, that only leaves Riordan, Nish and Duffy as our strikers and I wouldn't be too confident about that. I would hope that another striker will come in later today or tomorrow.

Another Falkirk reject.

GTF:grr:

3pm
30-08-2010, 12:20 PM
:Erm ... not it doesn't. :no way:

Anyway good luck to Darryl and I hope he can turn it on for his new club.

:fishin:

CraigHibee
30-08-2010, 12:23 PM
things really arent looking too good at them moment, has yogi get the falkirk blinkers on?

needs to pull something special out of the bag but i cannot see that happening at the moment, surely with money coming in for stokes hughes could maybe a wee bit more ambitious.

after all he is rabbiting on about signing A grade players, or is he just saying this to cover the fact he is going to sign guff!

Franck is God
30-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Another Falkirk reject.

How exactly is being signed by another club for £250k a sign of being a reject?

Considering very few of our current squad players were signed for a fee I assume they are all rejects then apart from Duffy as he has actually moved clubs for actual money...

Cabbage East
30-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Couldn't get a game for some minnow in England. **** this pish.

bingo70
30-08-2010, 12:27 PM
think you'll find we are more of a selling club than most clubs and that our current situation and way the club is managed means we are more intent on selling than investing in the team.

im not complaining about it, just stating that people should get used to it.

Aye, because we've brought through more young players than anyone else, we're exactly the same as other clubs, we bring through players then they move on when they realise they can get more money elsewhere.

If we were more intent on selling why did we not sell Boozy, Jones and Fletch during the transfer window when we had offers on the table for them?

Whether you mean to or not, you are moaning about it, you've maybe just moaned that much about it your used to it now :greengrin

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 12:29 PM
things really arent looking too good at them moment, has yogi get the falkirk blinkers on?

needs to pull something special out of the bag but i cannot see that happening at the moment, surely with money coming in for stokes hughes could maybe a wee bit more ambitious.

after all he is rabbiting on about signing A grade players, or is he just saying this to cover the fact he is going to sign guff!

Does that not mean energy and cost effective??????

easty
30-08-2010, 12:30 PM

West Brom signed Martis from us, and unless I'm mistaken he went on to play in the Prem, does that show just how sh*t English football is? I didn't realise if a player moved from one league to the other then it meant the entire standard of that countries football was affected. Man Utd signed the lad Bebe, who was homeless (so I've read anyway) not so long ago, the English Prem is awful these days.

Chuckie
30-08-2010, 12:30 PM
How exactly is being signed by another club for £250k a sign of being a reject?

Considering very few of our current squad players were signed for a fee I assume they are all rejects then apart from Duffy as he has actually moved clubs for actual money...

I meant the poster ya goat. :wink:

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Couldn't get a game for some minnow in England. **** this pish.

Spot on, apart from the fact that he played in 42 games for them last season and in three of their four games this season.

So it's not really spot on, but don't let that spoil your wee daft rant.

Wilson
30-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Welcome Darryl.

His name may be 'double d' but this thread shows the big tits are still in the stands.

Give the lad a chance FFS.

GGTTH

Fat Penlon
30-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Do you think any of those would have been poor signings?

I was never too fussed about Barr, didn't think he was all that but at the time we had a problem at right back and he would have been a good signing. Arfield is an excellent midfielder and a lot of sides were chasing his signature and would have been a great signing if we'd had got him.

only ever saw Mallo against us, again when we were linked with him most on this board were pretty happy about it as I recall.

Dont rate Barr either so no, any keeper who comes to hibs will put his career on the downward spiral so wouldnt have bothered me. I would have taken arfield yes but the point i was trying to make was that he needs to widen his scouting system beyond the players he worked with at a team who just missed out on relegation by a ball hair.

easty
30-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Another Falkirk reject.

I'll not be happy till Hibs come out and make an official statement swearing never again will we sign someone who has ever played for Falkirk......

No infact, maybe I'll just not jump on this ridiculous bandwagon that we're some kind of Falkirk mk2 side. Some people need to get a grip on reality. Let's give Duffy a chance to show what he can do on the pitch, and I mean a proper chance not just giving him 90mins then deciding he's not "hibs class". I reckon he can do a job for us. Granted he wouldnt have been my first choice but Ibrahimovic has signed for AC Milan so we can't have him.

Spudster
30-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Stokes
Sunderland 36 games 3 goals
Sheff Utd 12 games 0 goals
Crystal Palace 13 games 1 goal

Duffy a goal every 4 1/2 games
Stokes 1 every 12 games

Not saying I'm delighted with the signing but it might not be a complete disaster (flip side being if he does well on loan he'll probably end up at celtic or Huns anyway)

GordonHFC
30-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Stokes

Stokes 1 every 12 games

Not saying I'm delighted with the signing but it might not be a complete disaster (flip side being if he does well on loan he'll probably end up at celtic or Huns anyway)

That's 1 every 15

Sergio sledge
30-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Firstly, good luck to the guy had a decent record up here a few years ago and lets hope the gamble pays off.

BUT Yogis signing policy sums him up perfectly. Sticks to one plan, what he knows and a complete lack of ability to change/see a different way of doing things.

Totally underwhelmed to be selling an ROI international and bringing in a lower league failure on sweeties as a replacement not to mention the greater need for a physical presence up front.

We sold a Scotland international last summer and replaced him with an ex Falkirk striker who had been a failure in England at Championship level.

Some people (not aimed at you BTW) need to give the guy a chance before writing him off. As some others have said, he had been touted by many previously as a good potential signing, so its a bit hypocritical of people to be writing him off now.

Who were all touted as good potential signings on here before we tried to sign them, and all would have improved the team IMHO.

Name me a manager who hasn't signed any players from his previous club when he moves to a new club? Yogi's ex-Falkirk signings have been 50% good so far (Stokes and McBride) and 50% didn't work out (Cregg and Gow) Fail to see how he is taking so much criticism over this. He knows the players, and so their signing is less of a risk than a player signed on a recommendation from a scout and from watching a couple of games, or if you are Mixu, from watching a DVD of the player.

Spudster
30-08-2010, 12:51 PM
That's 1 every 15
So it is :embarrass

1two
30-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Ffs everyone, settle down, yogis just shuffling the pack

What's the problem?

lucky
30-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Welcome to Hibs DD.

I chuffed when Hibs sign anyone. Cos you just never know. As for £405 for a ST to watch this team. So what. I bought mine to watch Hibs and have s laugh with my mates.

Beefster
30-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Stokes

Stokes 1 every 12 games

How many of those games did Stokes play in League 1?

erskine-hibby
30-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Ffs everyone, settle down, yogis just shuffling the pack

What's the problem?

He's clueless, were ******....THAT'S the problem

basehibby
30-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Admittedly not an overly exciting signing on the face of it - nae need to give him pelters before he's even pulled a strip on though :bitchy:

He seems to have a not too bad scoring record over the piece so lets give the boy a chance - Welcome to the Hibees Daryl :thumbsup:

At The Edge
30-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Same with me, welcome to the famous Edinburgh Hibees, i'll cheer him when he runs out for his first game in Green and white, i hope he realises the privilage that brings.........constant slating on .net :wink:
I still expect another name today or tomorrow, the Dutch bloke being favourite i reckon

Posh Swanny
30-08-2010, 01:18 PM
After a month or so of "England need to get real with their expectations as they've done nothing in the last 50 years" type posts back in the summer, its been quite amusing to read this forum for the past couple of weeks!

:wink:

ionahibby
30-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Same with me, welcome to the famous Edinburgh Hibees, i'll cheer him when he runs out for his first game in Green and white, i hope he realises the privilage that brings.........constant slating on .net :wink:
I still expect another name today or tomorrow, the Dutch bloke being favourite i reckon

Would be surprised if we sign him now after signing duffy, is another striker really what we need :confused:

HFC 0-7
30-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Whether or not Duffy turns out to be a good signing, I dont know yet, bet there definately seems to be a problem with Yogi and his obsession with falkirk players.

we signed Stokes, McBride, Duffy and Cregg, we tried to sign Mallo, Arfield and Barr.

Stokes turned out good, McBride is average, cregg was mince, arfield would have been good, Barr and Mallo OK signings. 7 players from Falkirk at some time or another that is a strange one IMO.

At The Edge
30-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Would be surprised if we sign him now after signing duffy, is another striker really what we need :confused:

Its Yogi we're talking about, he has no clue on what we need :grr:

col02
30-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I wish Duffy all the best at Hibs as it would appear he will need it!

Hibs07p
30-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Welcome to Hibs DD.

He deserves a chance before he gets slated.
Welcome DD, unfortunately it probably wont be too long before DD is known as DiDdy.

Jones28
30-08-2010, 02:05 PM
When do we sign McNamara, Pressley and Neil McCann?

When Yogi gets the sack :agree:

Falkirk FC: Hibs' feeder team since John Hughes

On another note, why is Duffy getting pelters when he hasnt kicked a ball for Hibs yet?
Give the lad a chance and remember Scottish football is pants, so he could turn into a decent signing

Baldy Foghorn
30-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I wish Duffy all the best at Hibs as it would appear he will need it!

Aye good luck Duffy, but are you A grade?:confused:

eastmainsmsh
30-08-2010, 02:13 PM
i always thought yogi would be after dazzler :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
30-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Its Yogi we're talking about, he has no clue on what we need :grr:

The whole Hibernian scouting network doesnt have a scooby, from top to bottom. We always sign average men (and average height!) with very average abilities.

Time for radical overhaul me thinks.

RickyS
30-08-2010, 02:15 PM
just been on the fishul site to read about Duffy and thought I was goin off ma heid, had to read this sentence a few times

Duffy said: "Hibernian is a massive club with a fantastic club with a fantastic fanbase and high expectations.

either duffy never went to school much or we have a school leaver looking after the website?

Barney McGrew
30-08-2010, 02:17 PM
The whole Hibernian scouting network doesnt have a scooby, from top to bottom. We always sign average men (and average height!) with very average abilities.

Time for radical overhaul me thinks.

If that's the case then how do we end up with the players in the first place that everyone loses the plot about when we sell?

Other clubs seem quite keen to sign these average guys and pay us handsomely for the priviledge :confused:

ANDY McGEECHAN
30-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Well said :top marks:top marks:top marks

SteveHFC
30-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Darryl Duffy has a better scoring record than Kevin Kyle,Stephen Elliot and Calum Elliot.

Phil MaGlass
30-08-2010, 02:26 PM
GOOD LUCK to the laddie, you used to be a striker before you came to play for us, be prepared to be dazzled when our tactical wizard changes you in to a Centre Half, abraca***indabra.

Spike Mandela
30-08-2010, 02:29 PM
4 years ago......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB3iEOJplr4

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Let's not indulge in Yamesque straw-clutching. This guy simply isn't very good - his scoring record speaks for itself. He's been picked up and given a six month stint in the Hibernian rehab clinic, because he was basically the only forward around desperately seeking a club.

One to join club Rankin, Hogg, Nish as another jewel in the crown of mediocrity. Surprised DVZ and Brian Kerr aren't penciled in for another stint at ER.

At The Edge
30-08-2010, 02:30 PM
just been on the fishul site to read about Duffy and thought I was goin off ma heid, had to read this sentence a few times

Duffy said: "Hibernian is a massive club with a fantastic club with a fantastic fanbase and high expectations.

either duffy never went to school much or we have a school leaver looking after the website?

Now according to Yogi after yesterday, Hibs fans need to lower their expectations, which is it to be Yogi? :confused:
Yogi can you come out and tell what these expectations are? Top six finish? top 4 finish, avoiding relegation?

ancienthibby
30-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Whatever makes you think he actually said these words??:devil:

This is just the PR office at work shoving a piece of paper in front of him, with these words on it, and saying: 'We are putting out this Press Release and you agree with it, OKDarryl'! :agree:

500miles
30-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Hibs fans do need to lower expectations. If we start picking up wins, but not playing the desired football, i can tell you that, even sitting 3rd in the league, there will be folk on here saying "it's not good enough" and "you'll not get many folk in the shiny new stand watching that". By the same token, Hughes has spent the last year trying to play football that is pleasing on the eye, aware that it may effect results. Sadly, what tends to happen there is, if you don't get both, you don't get either.

People seem to think this managerial lark is straight forward, but if that was the case, there would be a lot less people on the managerial scrapheap.

Hibs On Tour
30-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Bob, as usual all over the situation and telling it how it is. :agree:

Can't remember when I last felt this disillusioned with life at ER. You'd think I'd be friggin' used to it by now..! :grr:

I'd reconciled myself with AS going West - whether it was down to a release clause, him being an arse off the park or just him wanting to go so much he was being disruptive - it was clear he was gonna go and just a question of how much we were gonna get for him - which hasn't and most likely won't get confirmed.

BUT... if Yogi's idea of a replacement is DD then we [Hibs fans] and him [Yogi] aren't singing from the same songbook! He may well be a decent addition to the squad - in the same way I think Nish is a valuable squad member - but a scorer of many goals at our level he isn't. He's 27 now - think it would have shone through by now if he was gonna be a regular at putting it in the onion bag no?

I'm realistic enough to know that we're not gonna go out and replace AS with a £1m/2m player either - BUT... we [the fans] deserve better in the way of a replacement than DD.

Know that's not just down to Yogi perhaps - as Bob says, could be only DD was prepared [and available] to come to us - that's not a very good reason for his arrival though... SPL isn't very attractive, we won't be paying top dollar, etc. But, by the same token, clubs around us seem to be able to pull off wee surprises - I live in hope that we can still pull a couple of rabbits out of the old hat before the window closes - one of which will need to be a goal replacement for AS if as expected he goes...

PS - thinking about it now, I would have far rather seen KB get recalled from loan and given some game time than have funds taken up by someone like DD who has never been a prolific goalscorer at this level. Save the funds for someone more proven at this level rather than another token squad player.

I do wish DD well at Hibs obviously - I just don't think he is what we need right now...

Pete70
30-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Let's not indulge in Yamesque straw-clutching. This guy simply isn't very good - his scoring record speaks for itself. He's been picked up and given a six month stint in the Hibernian rehab clinic, because he was basically the only forward around desperately seeking a club.

One to join club Rankin, Hogg, Nish as another jewel in the crown of mediocrity. Surprised DVZ and Brian Kerr aren't penciled in for another stint at ER.

Well I'm prepared to give the guy a chance and won't criticise him until i've seen him in a Hibernian jersey. I doubt also that he was desperately seeking a club as you put it when he still had a year left on his deal with BR.

Welcome to Hibernian DD and good luck.

Oh and by the way it's a season loan not 6 months.

PeterboroHibee
30-08-2010, 02:44 PM

If Stokes goes we only have 3 strikers, so yes, we do need another one brought in.

While our defence does need work, we have quite a few defenders in the squad, cant see more coming in without others leaving.

Hibs On Tour
30-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Darryl Duffy has a better scoring record than Kevin Kyle,Stephen Elliot and Calum Elliot.

No hard is it? Any random ten of us on here could probably lay claim to the same crown! :greengrin

Pete70
30-08-2010, 02:51 PM
If Stokes goes we only have 3 strikers, so yes, we do need another one brought in.

While our defence does need work, we have quite a few defenders in the squad, cant see more coming in without others leaving.

Agree with both points. I would also like to see a wide player brought in. (And I don't mean in stature:greengrin)

At the back I would consider playing 3 at the back with Hogg sweeping behind Stephens and Bamba

M11BMO
30-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Agree with both points. I would also like to see a wide player brought in. (And I don't mean in stature:greengrin)

At the back I would consider playing 3 at the back with Hogg sweeping behind Stephens and Bamba

Let's try and stop conceding goals with 4 at the back first. :wink:

I really don't think Hogg's clever enough to play sweeper IMO.

Bishop Hibee
30-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I see him play for us. If he's been signed as a 4th striker I'm pleased as he is different to the strikers we have i.e. a bit of pace and more a penalty box striker from what recall of him.

If Stokes goes we still need another striker though.

Toaods
30-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Some people on here are churning out the usual blind faith instead of looking at the overall picture.

There's no anti-DD campaign here and I doubt anyone will do anythiong less than encourage the laddie when he takes to the field, however all fans have a view on any players ability and whether they will be of use or not.

On a one-to-one basis I and many others would prefer Stokes to Duffy who is lets not forget only a loanee.

As things stand it's up to DD to prove he's the man and I hope every time the ball drops at his feet or on his forehead that he thrashes into the opponents net.

JimBHibees
30-08-2010, 03:52 PM
He is a decent signing not as good as Stokes but with a much better work ethic. He has pace which is something we are sadly lacking in. We still need another forward in and probably another centre half or full back.

KiddA
30-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Some people on here are churning out the usual blind faith instead of looking at the overall picture.

There's no anti-DD campaign here and I doubt anyone will do anythiong less than encourage the laddie when he takes to the field, however all fans have a view on any players ability and whether they will be of use or not.

On a one-to-one basis I and many others would prefer Stokes to Duffy who is lets not forget only a loanee.

As things stand it's up to DD to prove he's the man and I hope every time the ball drops at his feet or on his forehead that he thrashes into the opponents net.

Goals like this would be nice :cool2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB3iEOJplr4

Dinkydoo
30-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Are people not being a little melodramatic....? :greengrin

Halifaxhibby
30-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Give duffy a chance before he's even kicked a ball please!!, ok stokes has gone but he didn't want to play for us anymore so good riddance to him. He can rot on the bench at carparkhead for all i care, the paltry amount of money we get for him better be used to bring in another couple of players at least and it better not be more ex falkirk players!!. Nice one rod you really drove a hard bargain there eh?!!, hope you enjoy looking at a half empty stadium for the rest of the season. bottom six here we come!.

Gala Foxes
30-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Wonder if Joe Ward & Bobby Torrance are available just now ?

PISTOL1875
30-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Wasn't De Graff meant to be that man ???

Mikey
30-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Are people not being a little melodramatic....? :greengrin

No.

They're being a lot melodramatic.

gringojoe
30-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Wonder if Joe Ward & Bobby Torrance are available just now ?

Now they were really bad, we have had some pee pee over the years.

Pete70
30-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Wasn't De Graff meant to be that man ???

Naw, he's our box to box player.

By the way, I've just watched the interview with Darryl on Hibernian TV. He said he had been playing for Bristol Rovers in midfield. That may put his goals per game ratio into a bit of perspective.

PISTOL1875
30-08-2010, 04:49 PM

By the way, I've just watched the interview with Darryl on Hibernian TV. He said he had been playing for Bristol Rovers in midfield. That may put his goals per game ratio into a bit of perspective.

So the chances are that DD will be playing wide right then ???

Pete70
30-08-2010, 04:51 PM

He said his preferred position is as a striker but has played wide.

Just Jimmy
30-08-2010, 05:13 PM
"pleased to being joing an ambitious club in his native country..."

No that ambitious that we sold Tony Stokes and signed him ON LOAN.

regardless of who went and who we sold, i'm sick fed up of the ambition line, we're not. I want a winning positive team. I dont give a **** about stands or training centres.

Hainan Hibs
30-08-2010, 05:15 PM
"pleased to being joing an ambitious club in his native country..."

No that ambitious that we sold Tony Stokes and signed him ON LOAN.

regardless of who went and who we sold, i'm sick fed up of the ambition line, we're not. I want a winning positive team. I dont give a **** about stands or training centres.

I'll wish Duffy well and hope he is a success, but I can't help but look towards the rest of the season in complete dread as another season passes by with mediocrity.

basehibby
30-08-2010, 05:19 PM

We have 4 strikers if you include Kurtis Byrne - another wouldn't hurt though.

I'd say a (very) good Centre Half and a zippy winger might have more impact though - as well as a good defensive midfielder. McBride seems to be the only player we have who can mop up effectively in midfield at the mo - when he's absent our form suffers - hence we're over-reliant on someone who is afterall merely yet another Falkirk reject (copywrite Hibs.net amatuer dramatic society).

Hibby Kay-Yay
30-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Wishing you well mate

Toaods
30-08-2010, 05:47 PM

...how is he at left back....:bitchy:

Just Jimmy
30-08-2010, 06:10 PM

I'll wish Duffy well and hope he is a success, but I can't help but look towards the rest of the season in complete dread as another season passes by with mediocrity.

If he scores 15-20 goals I'll say well done Lad. Feel a tad guilty since the lad just obviously wants to play games and score goals. However, the timing is rank as usual and it was an obvious ploy by the PR machine to try and appease us after selling Stokes. Just shows the kind of mugs the fans are thought of behind the scenes at Hibernian Accounting Club.

ancienthibby
30-08-2010, 06:13 PM
If he scores 15-20 goals I'll say well done Lad. Feel a tad guilty since the lad just obviously wants to play games and score goals. However, the timing is rank as usual and it was an obvious ploy by the PR machine to try and appease us after selling Stokes. Just shows the kind of mugs the fans are thought of behind the scenes at Hibernian Accounting Club.

Nought to do with them - it's all PR spin:devil:

Hainan Hibs
30-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Aye, unfortunately none of them realised that a Daryl Duffy loan deal doesn't really make up for the sale of a 20+ goal a season Stokes.

Diclonius
30-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Would be a decent addition to our striking force, but on loan?! :bitchy: Nah.

mcaitchi
30-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Reckon Yogi - will probably end up putting the guy at left back or in goals !!!

im sure he just plays everyone out of position - like he did with the shirt numbers in holland - just to confuse everone and himself !!!

you never know with yogi !!!!

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2010, 06:48 PM

When Hogg is in the team we do play with 3 at the back, and on Sunday
Thicot made sure we were down to 2 defenders.:boo hoo:

ronaldo7
30-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the club Daryl. Here's hoping you quickly get off the mark and get the fans onside.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

HibbyDave
30-08-2010, 08:53 PM
See Thread "Arfield" Post 2. That is all.

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF
Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF
Yogi Out!
Yogi Out!
Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF

Continue for as long as "Green & White army"

The_Todd
30-08-2010, 08:54 PM
See Thread "Arfield" Post 2. That is all.

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF
Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF
Yogi Out!
Yogi Out!
Yogi, Yogi, Yogi GTF

Continue for as long as "Green & White army"

That should give the players on the pitch the perfect lift.

matty_f
30-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Brilliant the amount of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth about us signing an(other) ex-Falkirk player, considering how much everyone's raging about selling Stokes.

And they say it's Americans that don't get irony.:rolleyes:

HibbyDave
30-08-2010, 09:06 PM
That should give the players on the pitch the perfect lift.

Thanks! But seriously they can't get lower can they? Spot the common denominator Yogi, Yogi Yogi GTF Etc etc etc

Think I've lost it now with Hibs but I'm ****ed if i'll go quietly. We need fans to put presure on the board, the manager and the players to get their act together or GTF

ChooseLife
30-08-2010, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup:YASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mentalhibee
30-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I reckon duffy will score goals in what is the worst spl in along time, we've been lacking pace hopefully he casn supply it! if he starts banging them in we'll soon forget about stokes!

DH1875
30-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I reckon duffy will score goals in what is the worst spl in along time, we've been lacking pace hopefully he casn supply it! if he starts banging them in we'll soon forget about stokes!

But is he a direct replacement for Stokes? I reckon that we still need 1 maybe 2 strikers in.

mentalhibee
30-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Agree we need another 3 or 4 new faces mate, hopefully a target man a creative player and a defender(dickoh). Hope bamba stays:pray:

churchie16
30-08-2010, 11:11 PM
To be honest don't really know what he is like ? So whats the chances of him doing well for us and scoring a fare bit of goals ? :confused:

monktonharp
30-08-2010, 11:23 PM
to be honest,who the *REMOVED*is he,where'd he come fi',who's he been with, any caps(apart from to wear), how much was he etc etc

Gala Foxes
31-08-2010, 04:57 AM
I see on the web site it says "Duffy - why I signed" - let me guess :

(a) to get off the bench at Bristol Rovers
(b) to get back to Scotland

flash
31-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Certainly didnt sign to play for our wonderful supportive fans.

CraigK
31-08-2010, 06:56 AM
According to Wiki, he scored 27 goals in 57 games for Falkirk, not sure if they were in the 1st division at time?
Also, 2 Scotland B caps, might've been when Berti was manager, though.

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Certainly didnt sign to play for our wonderful supportive fans.

I think that's a tad harsh. It's been a highly disappointing and frustrating start to the season, and its pretty much been that way since Feb. If anybody didn't feel moved to vent about that, you would question whether or not they cared about the club. Of course, a lot of it is nonsense and most of it ain't pretty, but supporters have a right to get it off their chest.

flash
31-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Nah most of it is melodramatic i am even angrier than you mince.

jonny
31-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Another ex-Falkirk player who didnt make it when he moved on. In other news we're rumoured to be trying to bring Gow back in as well :brickwall

Why does Hughes persist in signing these average at best former Falkirk players :grr:

Does he not remember they finished 2nd from bottom in his final season there?

I can not get excited about a player who spent most of last season sitting on the Bristol Rovers bench or a player who was frozen out at Plymouth (for whatever reason) and actually came here for a few months and was murder - yes he was injured a lot (another reason to stay clear in my opinion) but when he did play I saw nothing there that would improve our squad.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance when they come in but really think we should be aiming a bit higher in terms of quality. Id rather have the lad Rooney from Caley Thistle than Duffy, suppose that would mean spending a couple of hundred thousand though - something that we dont seem prepared to do.

Im really hoping Im made to eat my words (I really am) but this seems a step back the way to me. Time will tell......

basehibby
31-08-2010, 07:16 AM
I think that's a tad harsh. It's been a highly disappointing and frustrating start to the season, and its pretty much been that way since Feb. If anybody didn't feel moved to vent about that, you would question whether or not they cared about the club. Of course, a lot of it is nonsense and most of it ain't pretty, but supporters have a right to get it off their chest.

No they don't the stupid *******s :grr::grr::grr:

Oh all right then, yes they do :rolleyes:

GlesgaeHibby
31-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Another ex-Falkirk player who didnt make it when he moved on. In other news we're rumoured to be trying to bring Gow back in as well :brickwall

Why does Hughes persist in signing these average at best former Falkirk players :grr:

I can not get excited about a player who spent most of last season sitting on the Bristol Rovers bench or a player who was frozen out at Plymouth (for whatever reason) and actually came here for a few months and was murder - yes he was injured a lot (another reason to stay clear in my opinion) but when he did play I saw nothing there that would improve our squad.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance when they come in but really think we should be aiming a bit higher in terms of quality. Id rather have the lad Rooney from Caley Thistle than Duffy, suppose that would mean spending a couple of hundred thousand though - something that we dont seem prepared to do.

Im really hoping Im made to eat my words (I really am) but this seems a step back the way to me. Time will tell......

Nice to see he is getting a chance before he kicks a ball....not.

Give the guy a break. Can't make comment on his ability until we see him.

He was the first division top scorer when Falkirk came up, and scored 9 in half an SPL season before being sold to Hull. His overall record at Falkirk was 37 goals in 68 games. Not a bad return at all, so if he can come close to that I'll be happy.

I can't remember much about the guy when he last played here, and he may turn out to be a poor signing but lets at least give him a chance before the knives come out.

jonny
31-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Nice to see he is getting a chance before he kicks a ball....not.

Give the guy a break. Can't make comment on his ability until we see him.

He was the first division top scorer when Falkirk came up, and scored 9 in half an SPL season before being sold to Hull. His overall record at Falkirk was 37 goals in 68 games. Not a bad return at all, so if he can come close to that I'll be happy.

I can't remember much about the guy when he last played here, and he may turn out to be a poor signing but lets at least give him a chance before the knives come out.

Knives out? Im merely giving my opinion, which is the whole point of a message board. If you read the post you will see that I said "I'm willing to give anyone a chance when they come in". My point was that I think we should be aiming for more than bit part English league 1 (effectively the 3rd teir of English football) players.

For the record, according to Wikipedia he scored 27 in 57 for Falkirk - still not bad to be fair, however that was a while ago and over 40 of the games were in the First Division - since then he's played for Hull, Hartlepool, Swansea, Bristol Rovers and Carlisle a total of 153 appearances with a return of 31 goals in the lower leagues of England. Thats 1 in 5 which is worse than Colin Nish's goalscoring record - not quite so impressive.

basehibby
31-08-2010, 07:50 AM
According to Wiki, he scored 27 goals in 57 games for Falkirk, not sure if they were in the 1st division at time?
Also, 2 Scotland B caps, might've been when Berti was manager, though.

Of his two seasons at Falkirk, one was spent in Div 1, One one the SPL - no idea how the stats divy up.

A wee bit more detail from recent seasons:

Wiki shows 73 league appearances with 16 goals for Bristol Rovers since 2008 with 8 appearances on loan to Carlisle and 1 goal.

From http://www.wspsoccer.com/players/darryl-duffy/50852/ ....
For all competitions in that time, DD had...
53 starts and 46 sub appearances for Bristol Rovers scoring 20 goals
1 start and 7 sub appearances for Carlisle scoring 1 goal

From what I remember, he was pretty highly rated during his time at Falkirk resulting in his cotland B caps under Berti

Dinkydoo
31-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks! But seriously they can't get lower can they? Spot the common denominator Yogi, Yogi Yogi GTF Etc etc etc

Think I've lost it now with Hibs but I'm ****ed if i'll go quietly. We need fans to put presure on the board, the manager and the players to get their act together or GTF

I suppose sacking another Manager would be the answer to all of our problems then wouldn't it. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Duffy is an ok player, certainly a decent squad player.

I'm as frustrated about the start of this season and the Stokes affair as anyone but i think some people have the knives out for Duffy already as though it is all his fault. The guy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and has already been branded 'pi5h' and 'murder' on the thread about his signing. You can just tell there are a few posters who are desperate for him to struggle in his first few games just so they have a brand new scapegoat to have a go at.

fordie2
31-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Knives out? Im merely giving my opinion, which is the whole point of a message board. If you read the post you will see that I said "I'm willing to give anyone a chance when they come in". My point was that I think we should be aiming for more than bit part English league 1 (effectively the 3rd teir of English football) players.

For the record, according to Wikipedia he scored 27 in 57 for Falkirk - still not bad to be fair, however that was a while ago and over 40 of the games were in the First Division - since then he's played for Hull, Hartlepool, Swansea, Bristol Rovers and Carlisle a total of 153 appearances with a return of 31 goals in the lower leagues of England. Thats 1 in 5 which is worse than Colin Nish's goalscoring record - not quite so impressive.

Before we signed Anthony Stokes, another ex-Falkirk player by the way who everyone is foaming at the mouth about losing. He went down south and set the Heather alight right enough! Stokes record in England was 1-27 or something was it not

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Is Duffy a left footed forward?

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Of his two seasons at Falkirk, one was spent in Div 1, One one the SPL - no idea how the stats divy up.

A wee bit more detail from recent seasons:

Wiki shows 73 league appearances with 16 goals for Bristol Rovers since 2008 with 8 appearances on loan to Carlisle and 1 goal.

From http://www.wspsoccer.com/players/darryl-duffy/50852/ ....
For all competitions in that time, DD had...
53 starts and 46 sub appearances for Bristol Rovers scoring 20 goals
1 start and 7 sub appearances for Carlisle scoring 1 goal

From what I remember, he was pretty highly rated during his time at Falkirk resulting in his cotland B caps under Berti

1 and a bit seasons in Division 1 and about 1/2 a season in the SPL.
Like I say, I'll support the lad as much as the next person - Im just not excited about the signing.
Since leaving Falkirk his goalscoring record is certainly not great, quite poor IMO and the jury is out on this one.

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Duffy is an ok player, certainly a decent squad player.

I'm as frustrated about the start of this season and the Stokes affair as anyone but i think some people have the knives out for Duffy already as though it is all his fault. The guy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and has already been branded 'pi5h' and 'murder' on the thread about his signing. You can just tell there are a few posters who are desperate for him to struggle in his first few games just so they have a brand new scapegoat to have a go at.

No-one has said Duffy is Pi5h and I said that when Gow was here he was murder. A comment I stick by. As for any Hibs fan being desperate for anyone in a Hibs jersey to struggle... absolute nonsense. :bye:

Im sure everyone hopes he does well, I personally do - I just dont think he is the answer.

ronaldo7
31-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Imo he will give us something up front we've lacked for a while and that's pace. I think he will turn a few heads in the coming months (Hopefully spl defenders).

Good luck Darryl:thumbsup:

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Before we signed Anthony Stokes, another ex-Falkirk player by the way who everyone is foaming at the mouth about losing. He went down south and set the Heather alight right enough! Stokes record in England was 1-27 or something was it not

Stokes was on loan at Falkirk whilst he was an Arsenal player. His goalscoring record was phenomenal there. 14 goals in 16 games. Much different from the 2 in 5 that Duffy got when he was there and the 1 in 5 he's had over the past 4/5 years or so.
People are not happy about losing Stokes because he is a proven quality goalscorer. Duffy is not.

Cocaine&Caviar
31-08-2010, 08:21 AM
17 goals in 35 games in the First Division, 9 goals in 21 games in the SPL.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Stokes was on loan at Falkirk whilst he was an Arsenal player. His goalscoring record was phenomenal there. 14 goals in 16 games. Much different from the 2 in 5 that Duffy got when he was there and the 1 in 5 he's had over the past 4/5 years or so.
People are not happy about losing Stokes because he is a proven quality goalscorer. Duffy is not.

What about Stokes record at Sunderland and Palace before he signed for us? If you are going to quote stats, quote them all.

Sergio sledge
31-08-2010, 08:23 AM

What a pile of crap, so you don't want to sign any players from a team that finished 2nd bottom in Hughes last season there, but the go on to say you want to sign a player who played in a team that actually got relegated the last time they were in the SPL? How many of the people advocating the signing of Adam Rooney have actually seen him play? He was pants in the SPL last time round, did well in the 1st division, and has scored a couple of goals so far. He is however nothing special. Oh, and for the record, Rooney has scored 7 goals in 31 SPL appearances, so if Duffy is not a proven goalscorer at this level with 9 in 21, then Rooney is even worse, so your suggestion we sign him in a thread slagging off our latest signing is ridiculous.

The other thing is, how many of the ex-falkirk players that we signed were actually at the club when they finished 2nd bottom? Cregg and McBride were, but Stokes, Duffy and Gow had long gone by that stage. In fact, the loss of Duffy, Stokes and Gow was one of the main reasons Falkirk dropped down the table, seem to remember them pushing for top six when these guys were there.

Stokes didn't make it when he moved on from Falkirk, we definitely shouldn't have signed him, what a waste of a wage that was......:yawn:

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 08:24 AM
No-one has said Duffy is Pi5h and I said that when Gow was here he was murder. A comment I stick by. As for any Hibs fan being desperate for anyone in a Hibs jersey to struggle... absolute nonsense. :bye:

Im sure everyone hopes he does well, I personally do - I just dont think he is the answer.

If you care to read my post carefully i quite clearly say he was branded 'pi5h' on another thread. Gow was murder when he was here but i made no reference to that in my post so whats your point caller?

If you look at the board just now there is a thread up offering 'evidence' that Dickoh, or Dickof as an oh so witty individual has christened him, is the worst player in the Eredivisie. Great way to back the new lads that.

Hibs7
31-08-2010, 08:28 AM
What a pile of crap, so you don't want to sign any players from a team that finished 2nd bottom in Hughes last season there, but the go on to say you want to sign a player who played in a team that actually got relegated the last time they were in the SPL? How many of the people advocating the signing of Adam Rooney have actually seen him play? He was pants in the SPL last time round, did well in the 1st division, and has scored a couple of goals so far. He is however nothing special.

The other thing is, how many of the ex-falkirk players that we signed were actually at the club when they finished 2nd bottom? Cregg and McBride were, but Stokes, Duffy and Gow had long gone by that stage. In fact, the loss of Duffy, Stokes and Gow was one of the main reasons Falkirk dropped down the table, seem to remember them pushing for top six when these guys were there.

Stokes didn't make it when he moved on from Falkirk, we definitely shouldn't have signed him, what a waste of a wage that was......:yawn:

Sense at last :thumbsup:

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:30 AM
If you care to read my post carefully i quite clearly say he was branded 'pi5h' on another thread. Gow was murder when he was here but i made no reference to that in my post so whats your point caller?

If you look at the board just now there is a thread up offering 'evidence' that Dickoh, or Dickof as an oh so witty individual has christened him, is the worst player in the Eredivisie. Great way to back the new lads that.

The guy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and has already been branded 'pi5h' and 'murder' on the thread about his signing.

Read your own post. Sounds to me like your saying he was branded Pi5h and murder on this thread...... :rolleyes:

As for Dickoh - I know nothing of him but from what he's done and where he's been looks promising. Current Ghana international.

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 08:32 AM
What a pile of crap, so you don't want to sign any players from a team that finished 2nd bottom in Hughes last season there, but the go on to say you want to sign a player who played in a team that actually got relegated the last time they were in the SPL? How many of the people advocating the signing of Adam Rooney have actually seen him play? He was pants in the SPL last time round, did well in the 1st division, and has scored a couple of goals so far. He is however nothing special. Oh, and for the record, Rooney has scored 7 goals in 31 SPL appearances, so if Duffy is not a proven goalscorer at this level with 9 in 21, then Rooney is even worse, so your suggestion we sign him in a thread slagging off our latest signing is ridiculous.

Good post. Far too sensible for this board today though.

It's hysteria and drama and **** the facts.

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 08:34 AM
The guy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet and has already been branded 'pi5h' and 'murder' on the thread about his signing.

Read your own post. Sounds to me like your saying he was branded Pi5h and murder on this thread...... :rolleyes:

As for Dickoh - I know nothing of him but from what he's done and where he's been looks promising. Current Ghana international.

On the thread about his signing

Is this the thread about him signing? Or could that be the 15 pager located slightly further down the board? You decide.

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Sergio sledge;2563347]What a pile of crap, so you don't want to sign any players from a team that finished 2nd bottom in Hughes last season there, but the go on to say you want to sign a player who played in a team that actually got relegated the last time they were in the SPL? How many of the people advocating the signing of Adam Rooney have actually seen him play? He was pants in the SPL last time round, did well in the 1st division, and has scored a couple of goals so far. He is however nothing special. Oh, and for the record, Rooney has scored 7 goals in 31 SPL appearances, so if Duffy is not a proven goalscorer at this level with 9 in 21, then Rooney is even worse, so your suggestion we sign him in a thread slagging off our latest signing is ridiculous.

Stokes didn't make it when he moved on from Falkirk, we definitely shouldn't have signed him, what a waste of a wage that was......:yawn:[/QUOTE

My folks have lived in the Inverness area for while and my old man likes to go and watch Caley - when Im up there I go along. I'v seen Rooney a few times and thats what Im basing my opinion on. The last time he was in the SPL he was very lightweight but also still just a kid - he's maturing well (about 21/22 now I think) and has got much stronger since then and so far this season is doing well.
Have you seen him much recently or do you have any other basis for your opinion on him?

I havent slagged Duffy off at all, only said that I dont think he is the answer and that the jury is out - I dont think his goalscoring record has been very good for the last 4/5 years.
Do you think otherwise?

Falkirk were pushing for the top 6 when all these guys were there. Yes, they were - didnt get into the top 6 though did they? Is 7th place good enough for you?

No question Stokes came here after a poor spell down south and was prolific. He was still young and unquestionably wasnt ready for the English Premiership after his spell at Falkirk - Although I think the premiership and League 1 is a bit different, dont you?

JimBHibees
31-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Is Duffy a left footed forward?

No pretty sure he is principally a right footed striker who runs the channels with a bit of pace about him, personally think he is exactly the sort of striker we need who can pressurise defences as well as pose a goal threat. Think he will score a few in the SPL given a good run in the team.

jonny
31-08-2010, 08:48 AM
On the thread about his signing

Is this the thread about him signing? Or could that be the 15 pager located slightly further down the board? You decide.

What does the other thread that I havent commented on have to do with my post?

MrRobot
31-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Gow never really had a chance to impress and Duffy hasn't even played yet. How about we just support the players who do come in ?

Duffy's record at his previous clubs hasn't been too bad, and as he said himself, only started half the games he actually played in.

Lets see what he can do before we judge him, and if we sign Gow, same with him.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 08:49 AM
No pretty sure he is principally a right footed striker who runs the channels with a bit of pace about him, personally think he is exactly the sort of striker we need who can pressurise defences as well as pose a goal threat. Think he will score a few in the SPL given a good run in the team.

Thanks, i cant remember this lad at all then? :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
31-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Stokes and McBride are better than average and Cregg has left. There is alot of moaning on here about ex Falkirk players but the ones we've signed have been ok.

Aldo
31-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Wont judge the guy until I have seen him. If he puts in a shift and is all round game brings others into play then that will do for me. (sorry and a few goals as well).

I have heard he has a bit of pace (which we have lacked TBH).

Give the guy a chance...different type of player than Stokes and I am sure he will fit in.

robinp
31-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Am I the only one who is not pissed about Duffy signing, I remember quite a few on here were gutted that we didn't try to sign him when he left Falkirk to go south a few years ago! I remember him being half decent. :tin hat:

Hibs07p
31-08-2010, 09:12 AM
DD went from Rangers reject to establishing himself at Falkirk, earning himself the move and money he thought he was destined for as a Rangers player. He was a success at Falkirk, earned his move in a short period of time, but failed in England.
Stokes was a success at Falkirk, failed in England, and was successful here at Hibs, earning his move to Celtic, which will probably be the pinacle of his career, as I don't see him progressing further at Celtic. In that respect, I don't see much difference between the players, give DD a fair chance. My only worry is that we put him in the shop window, he is successful, and chooses to move elsewhere. I have the same feeling that Dickoh could also be successful, and at the end of the loan period choose to move on, although if they both show how good they are I'm sure RP will try to extend their stay. It is a bit of a gamble, if they are good, we struggle to keep them, if they are crap, well it's bye bye.

jonny
31-08-2010, 09:23 AM
DD went from Rangers reject to establishing himself at Falkirk, earning himself the move and money he thought he was destined for as a Rangers player. He was a success at Falkirk, earned his move in a short period of time, but failed in England.
Stokes was a success at Falkirk, failed in England, and was successful here at Hibs, earning his move to Celtic, which will probably be the pinacle of his career, as I don't see him progressing further at Celtic. In that respect, I don't see much difference between the players, give DD a fair chance. My only worry is that we put him in the shop window, he is successful, and chooses to move elsewhere. I have the same feeling that Dickoh could also be successful, and at the end of the loan period choose to move on, although if they both show how good they are I'm sure RP will try to extend their stay. It is a bit of a gamble, if they are good, we struggle to keep them, if they are crap, well it's bye bye.

Stokes came through the youth ranks at Arsenal and went on loan to Falkirk. Sunderland thought he looked a player and paid Arsenal £2million for him. He wasnt ready for the Premiership and it didnt work out too well for him and he was found out his depth. He came to Hibs done very well and moved onto Celtic where he will no doubt get loads of goals.

Duffy came through the youth ranks at Rangers, was released on a free as wasnt deemed good enough. Picked up by Falkirk where he did quite well. Moved down south to play in the lower leagues in England and wasnt very successful.

I think they are quite different to be honest.

On another note, I've just seen the interview with DD on Hibs TV and he has said that he played most of his games for Bristol Rovers in midfield....

This will hopefully be the reason for his not so good goals-games ratio down there

However makes me wonder where Yogi intends playing him :dunno:

Saorsa
31-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Stokes came through the youth ranks at Arsenal and went on loan to Falkirk. Sunderland thought he looked a player and paid Arsenal £2million for him. He wasnt ready for the Premiership and it didnt work out too well for him and he was found out his depth. He came to Hibs done very well and moved onto Celtic where he will no doubt get loads of goals.

Duffy came through the youth ranks at Rangers, was released on a free as wasnt deemed good enough. Picked up by Falkirk where he did quite well. Moved down south to play in the lower leagues in England and wasnt very successful.

On another note, I've just seen the interview with DD on Hibs TV and he has said that he played most of his games for Bristol Rovers in midfield....

This will hopefully be the reason for his not so good goals-games ratio down there

However makes me wonder where Yogi intends playing him :dunno:left back :dunno: goals :dunno:

basehibby
31-08-2010, 09:30 AM

There are many players who all seeing Hibs.netters have declared to be "not the answer" upon their signing for Hibs - among them Ian Murray, Sol Bamba and Kevin McBride from our current 1st team squad. Of course sometimes they get it right but if you sit around slinging mud all day then some of it is bound to stick.

FWIW I'll be pleasantly surprised if Duffy is anything like as prolific as Stokes was last season, but if other areas of the team are strengthened as well with the dough from his transfer, it could still turn out to be good business for Hibs IMO.

By the by - how can you state with such sweeping certainty that Gow was "murder" in his spell at Hibs - I was at pretty much every home game last season and didn't see enough of the guy to form an opinion one way or the other :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 09:32 AM

However makes me wonder where Yogi intends playing him :dunno:

You are conveniently forgetting Stokes's time in England, where he also failed. Why is Duffys failure different to Stokes?

jonny
31-08-2010, 09:40 AM
There are many players who all seeing Hibs.netters have declared to be "not the answer" upon their signing for Hibs - among them Ian Murray, Sol Bamba and Kevin McBride from our current 1st team squad. Of course sometimes they get it right but if you sit around slinging mud all day then some of it is bound to stick.

FWIW I'll be pleasantly surprised if Duffy is anything like as prolific as Stokes was last season, but if other areas of the team are strengthened as well with the dough from his transfer, it could still turn out to be good business for Hibs IMO.

By the by - how can you state with such sweeping certainty that Gow was "murder" in his spell at Hibs - I was at pretty much every home game last season and didn't see enough of the guy to form an opinion one way or the other :dunno:

What I should have said was from what I seen of Gow I think he was murder. I attend most games myself - home and away when I can get there and thought his only decent (and thats all it was) performance was against Montrose in the cup. Other than that he was poor at best (in my opinion) or injured.

I certainly cant speak for other members of the board but I was pleased when we brought back Murray and signed Bamba.
I wasnt overly impressed with the Cregg or McBride signings and if Im honest thought Cregg wouldve been the better of the two.
Im happy to admit I was wrong about McBride and now rate him as one of our better players. Cregg simply wasnt good enough.

Im not in the business of slinging mud at any Hibs player and am not doing so at Duffy. My point was simply that I think there are more suitable players for us to sign that would be less of a gamble but may cost a bit of money. Of course once again its a matter of opinion.

jonny
31-08-2010, 09:42 AM
You are conveniently forgetting Stokes's time in England, where he also failed. Why is Duffys failure different to Stokes?

Im not - look again.

Sunderland thought he looked a player and paid Arsenal £2million for him. He wasnt ready for the Premiership and it didnt work out too well for him and he was found to be out his depth

Stokes failed in the Premiership. Duffy did so in the lower leagues.
As you'll be aware there is a massive gulf between them.
Thats the difference.

Pretty Boy
31-08-2010, 09:45 AM
What does the other thread that I havent commented on have to do with my post?

Absolutely nothing.

I was making a genral observation in my original post that you quoted. Since then it's developed into a frankly petty argument. Best agree to disagree and leave it at that i think.

jonny
31-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Absolutely nothing.

I was making a genral observation in my original post that you quoted. Since then it's developed into a frankly petty argument. Best agree to disagree and leave it at that i think.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Im not - look again.

Sunderland thought he looked a player and paid Arsenal £2million for him. He wasnt ready for the Premiership and it didnt work out too well for him and he was found to be out his depth

Stokes failed in the Premiership. Duffy did so in the lower leagues.
As you'll be aware there is a massive gulf between them.
Thats the difference.

Stokes also failed at Palace and Sheffield United. :confused:

Sergio sledge
31-08-2010, 10:02 AM
My folks have lived in the Inverness area for while and my old man likes to go and watch Caley - when Im up there I go along. I'v seen Rooney a few times and thats what Im basing my opinion on. The last time he was in the SPL he was very lightweight but also still just a kid - he's maturing well (about 21/22 now I think) and has got much stronger since then and so far this season is doing well.
Have you seen him much recently or do you have any other basis for your opinion on him?

Unfortunately due to family circumstances and cost, I've seen Rooney more over the last 2 years than I have any Hibs player. (Access to free tickets to Caley quite often.) I don't see anything in him which would make him rise above standard SPL players. I'm fairly sure he'll score some goals in the SPL, but he's not someone who I'd want to spend a fee on when we can get similar for free (Duffy) Duffy has more experience and a better scoring record at SPL level albeit a few years ago.

I havent slagged Duffy off at all, only said that I dont think he is the answer and that the jury is out - I dont think his goalscoring record has been very good for the last 4/5 years.
Do you think otherwise?

Duffy's record over the last 4 years hasn't been good, but there are mitigating factors in that, mainly getting played in midfield for Bristol, and only starting half of the games while there. The SPL is littered with players who have struggled at other clubs at many levels in England, but come up here and done well.

To suggest Duffy isn't proven at this level then in the same post suggest we sign someone who has scored less goals at this level, in more games is a tad contradictory don't you think?

Falkirk were pushing for the top 6 when all these guys were there. Yes, they were - didnt get into the top 6 though did they? Is 7th place good enough for you?

Perhaps Man Utd should only sign players form teams that are better than them. They should never have signed Rooney, because Everton finished 17th in Rooneys last season there and thus, Man Utd were accepting 17th as good enough. Do you know how ridiculous your comment above sounds? Are you actually trying to say that we should only ever sign players from teams that are above us, because if we sign a player from a team which finished 7th we are accepting 7th as good enough?

That wasn't my point, and I think you know that. Of course 7th isn't good enough for me. However, people are making a big deal on the board about signing players from a team that finished 2nd bottom. The facts are that we only signed 2 players from that team, 1 has done well and the other has left. The rest of the ex-falkirk players signed were all in the Falkirk team when they were doing well, and all got their big move away from Falkirk.

Another contradiction in your post which I was pointing out was that you were complaining about signing players from a team that finished 2nd bottom, and yet in the same post suggested we sign a player from a team that actually got relegated the same season, and who only scored 5 goals all season that year.

No question Stokes came here after a poor spell down south and was prolific. He was still young and unquestionably wasnt ready for the English Premiership after his spell at Falkirk - Although I think the premiership and League 1 is a bit different, dont you?

Stokes failed in the championship too. In fact Stokes record in the championship is (shock horror) worse that Duffy's. Stokes - 25 games, 1 goal. Duffy - 24 games, 3 goals. Now, I'm not suggesting Duffy is a better player or goal scorer than Stokes but he should be given a chance to show us what he can, or can't, do before people start slagging his signing off.

HFC 0-7
31-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Just been looking at some of Darryl Duffys goals on the internet and he acutally looks quite good. I must confess that I wasnt happy when it was announced, probably because of the rage i was feeling towards the sale of Stokes. Not sure if perhaps his name makes you think he is rubbish!

He is fast which is something we are crying out for and his finishing seems pretty clinical. If we could only get Ivan as well, the pace between the 2 would be a real assett!

jonny
31-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Stokes also failed at Palace and Sheffield United. :confused:

He only actually started a handful of games at each club. Also, from reading some of what Roy Keane was saying about him, he had a bit of an issue with going out on the lash which probably contributed to his lack of good performances.
Also, in his defence Stokes is still very young - Duffy is coming into his late 20's.

Im not too sure why we are comparing Stokes and Duffy so closely when IMO they are 2 different types of player.
No doubt signing Stokes was a bit of a gamble but the fact he had been so prolific when previously in the SPL made it more worthwhile.

Duffy was decent when he was last in Scotland but that was 4/5 years ago.

Im hoping he does well at the club and if he is successful will happily admit to being wrong - it wouldnt be the 1st time and wont be the last...

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2010, 10:09 AM
He only actually started a handful of games at each club. Also, from reading some of what Roy Keane was saying about him, he had a bit of an issue with going out on the lash which probably contributed to his lack of good performances.
Also, in his defence Stokes is still very young - Duffy is coming into his late 20's.

Im not too sure why we are comparing Stokes and Duffy so closely when IMO they are 2 different types of player.
No doubt signing Stokes was a bit of a gamble but the fact he had been so prolific when previously in the SPL made it more worthwhile.

Im hoping he does well at the club and if he is successful will happily admit to being wrong - it wouldnt be the 1st time and wont be the last...
Yip you are not wrong there.:wink:

jonny
31-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately due to family circumstances and cost, I've seen Rooney more over the last 2 years than I have any Hibs player. (Access to free tickets to Caley quite often.) I don't see anything in him which would make him rise above standard SPL players. I'm fairly sure he'll score some goals in the SPL, but he's not someone who I'd want to spend a fee on when we can get similar for free (Duffy) Duffy has more experience and a better scoring record at SPL level albeit a few years ago.

Well, if like you say you seen Rooney a lot last season and dont rate him then we have to agree to disagree. Rooney was a young 19 the last time he was in the SPL and was very lightweight. As you will have seen, he has since put on a bit of weight and become much stronger and a good goalscorer.
Duffy and Rooney are not similar. Rooney is an out and out striker - Duffy has been played mostly in a midfield role at BR.

Duffy's record over the last 4 years hasn't been good, but there are mitigating factors in that, mainly getting played in midfield for Bristol, and only starting half of the games while there

How can you say in 1 sentence they are similar then go on to say that Duffy plays half his games in midfield?
Rooney is an out and out striker......:confused:

Perhaps Man Utd should only sign players form teams that are better than them. They should never have signed Rooney, because Everton finished 17th in Rooneys last season there and thus, Man Utd were accepting 17th as good enough

No relevance at all to my point.

you were complaining about signing players from a team that finished 2nd bottom, and yet in the same post suggested we sign a player from a team that actually got relegated the same season, and who only scored 5 goals all season that year.

See previous comment - when Inverness were relegated Rooney was young and very lightweight - its my opinion, based on seeing him recently that he is much improved and would do us a good job and get a lot of goals.
IMO Cregg was not good enough and Gow was not good enough. Its more to do with the players not being up to scratch than where they come from - my point there was simply that Im fed up with Hughes bringing in players that were good enough for a poor SPL team but not good enough for anyone else.
Im not saying for a minute that Duffy is anything like Cregg or Gow but see him as an unnecessary gamble.

Franck Stanton
31-08-2010, 10:30 AM
To be honest don't really know what he is like ? So whats the chances of him doing well for us and scoring a fare bit of goals ? :confused:

From what I remember of him at Falkirk, he was a busy wee player who chipped in with quite a few goals, and for what it's worth I think could form a good partnership with Deeks in the middle of the forward line. Wouldn't be too good at high cross balls however, but keep the ball on the carpet, play them into the channels and we could be pleasantly surprised. Irrespectively - Duffy will put in more effort as a team player than Stokes did. Not for one minute saying he will score as many goals as Stokes but, again only my opinion , will be a good addition to the team. Gie the boy a chance lads.

magnificent_seven
31-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I can't believe some of the nonsense that is being posted on here. Understandably, we are all cheesed off that Stokes has left but slating Duffy before he has put on the jersey is just ludicrous. From what I remember this guy was a good player in the SPL. Always quite pacy and dangerous when he got the ball. I reckon it could prove to be a decent signing for us, just what we need.

degenerated
31-08-2010, 10:35 AM

he's only 26. So on that basis perhaps we shouldn't have bothered signing liam miller because he is in his late twenties and he was decent in Scotland but that was over 4/5 years ago.

so, for the avoidance of doubt can i just recap here. hibs should aim higher than league 1 in england by signing someone who played in the scottish first division last season and has been "okay" in three or four games that you probably haven't seen this season.

http://web.mit.edu/ryangray/Public/Gnus/thumbs_up.jpg

allezsauzee
31-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I can't believe some of the nonsense that is being posted on here. Understandably, we are all cheesed off that Stokes has left but slating Duffy before he has put on the jersey is just ludicrous. From what I remember this guy was a good player in the SPL. Always quite pacy and dangerous when he got the ball. I reckon it could prove to be a decent signing for us, just what we need.

Completely agree. I think the lad will be a good signing for us. We need pace up front. I also think that Gow might be a decent signing if he stays clear of injury

--------
31-08-2010, 10:42 AM

This post is dangerously fair-minded and sensible, IMO. Giving players a chance to play for the team, and then judging them fairly on how well they play, has never been the practice at Easter Road. It's far easier to abuse them and bad-moiuth them from the start, make their time on the park as miserable as we can, then shout "Told you so!" when they've finally had enough and leave.

FWIW, I think DD could be a decent acquisition for us, and look forward to seeing him in the green and white.

My remembrance of him when he was at Falkirk was like yours - when he was played up front he had the speed and control to trouble a lot of defenders. Bristol have been playing him in midfield, which isn't his position.

Craig_in_Prague
31-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Will we see Galbraith get some game time at LM/LW, given us much needed pace and width?
With Wotherspoon on the right, and McBride (or de graff when McBride aint playing) in the middle with Miller. Deeks and Duffy up front. Nish on the bench.

new CH in for Hogg?

IF these changes happen, then we could be a better all round team for it.

but if he keeps Deek at LM, keeps playing Nish, Hogg, Rankin, never gives Galbraith a run etc....I'm afraid I'll find it hard to watch us again this season.

Is Hughes seeing what the fans see - We'll soon find out.

basehibby
31-08-2010, 10:51 AM
What I should have said was from what I seen of Gow I think he was murder. I attend most games myself - home and away when I can get there and thought his only decent (and thats all it was) performance was against Montrose in the cup. Other than that he was poor at best (in my opinion) or injured.

I certainly cant speak for other members of the board but I was pleased when we brought back Murray and signed Bamba.
I wasnt overly impressed with the Cregg or McBride signings and if Im honest thought Cregg wouldve been the better of the two.
Im happy to admit I was wrong about McBride and now rate him as one of our better players. Cregg simply wasnt good enough.

Im not in the business of slinging mud at any Hibs player and am not doing so at Duffy. My point was simply that I think there are more suitable players for us to sign that would be less of a gamble but may cost a bit of money. Of course once again its a matter of opinion.

You could be wrong and you could be right - I think Hughes often likes to gamble on the devil HE knows which is why we've seen quite a few players with Falkirk connections coming and going.
I'll hold my hands up and admit that I don't really know what to expect, but if you're looking at pedigrees and reputations, Duffy's looks more impressive than either Bamba or McBride's did when they were signed for Hibs by Hughes last season - even if not quite as impressive as Stokes' looked. On balance I think he has the potential to be very good for us - maybe not in the 20+ goals a season bracket but likely to end up on 15 or thereabouts.

Sergio sledge
31-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, if like you say you seen Rooney a lot last season and dont rate him then we have to agree to disagree. Rooney was a young 19 the last time he was in the SPL and was very lightweight. As you will have seen, he has since put on a bit of weight and become much stronger and a good goalscorer.
Duffy and Rooney are not similar. Rooney is an out and out striker - Duffy has been played mostly in a midfield role at BR.

Everyone has opinions, ours are different on Rooney, although I will agree with you he has improved from his first season.

Duffy and Rooney are similar, Duffy was always a striker until, for whatever reasons, he started getting played in midfield at Bristol Rovers. I'm sure Duffy would love to get back to playing up front and scoring goals. Just because he has been played in midfield doesn't mean that he isn't better as a striker.

How can you say in 1 sentence they are similar then go on to say that Duffy plays half his games in midfield?
Rooney is an out and out striker......:confused:

As above, just because he has been getting played in midfield doesn't mean he isn't a striker. In fact I remember Rooney getting played in midfield a couple of times for Caley, not recently however.

No relevance at all to my point.

It's entirely relevant, you were slagging our signings because they came from a team who finished 2nd bottom, no mention of their merits as players. You also suggested that because some of them were signed from a team that finished 7th, I was somehow accepting 7th as good enough. I merely used the Man Utd situation as an example of how ridiculous your point was. It was and is fully relevant to the comments you made. Teams all over the world sign players from teams below them, because players can be judged on their individual performances and not how the team performs, just because a team is bad, doesn't mean all their players are bad.

See previous comment - when Inverness were relegated Rooney was young and very lightweight - its my opinion, based on seeing him recently that he is much improved and would do us a good job and get a lot of goals.
IMO Cregg was not good enough and Gow was not good enough. Its more to do with the players not being up to scratch than where they come from - my point there was simply that Im fed up with Hughes bringing in players that were good enough for a poor SPL team but not good enough for anyone else.
Im not saying for a minute that Duffy is anything like Cregg or Gow but see him as an unnecessary gamble.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere, "Its more to do with the players not being up to scratch than where they come from" 100% agree. Where they come from doesn't matter, we could sign someone from anywhere, and I would give them a chance to prove themselves before saying the signing is poor. Once they've had that chance, like Cregg had, then we can say whether he is or isn't good enough.

jonny
31-08-2010, 10:59 AM
he's only 26. So on that basis perhaps we shouldn't have bothered signing liam miller because he is in his late twenties and he was decent in Scotland but that was over 4/5 years ago.

so, for the avoidance of doubt can i just recap here. hibs should aim higher than league 1 in england by signing someone who played in the scottish first division last season and has been "okay" in three or four games that you probably haven't seen this season.

http://web.mit.edu/ryangray/Public/Gnus/thumbs_up.jpg

Youve missed my points which to be fair have probably been made unclear by all the petty arguing.

Basically Ive said that I think Adam Rooney is a good player, hes improved a lot since he last played in the SPL - evidenced by what Ive seen of him, as i said i seen him a few times last year and was impressed. I havent actually seen him play this season but he already has a couple of goals which would suggest to me that he is continuing from where he left off last season. Id have liked Hibs to have signed him because I think he'd get us a lot of goals. End of.

I think signing Duffy is a bit of a gamble, he did well at Falkirk 4/5 years ago but since moving down south to play in the lower English leagues hasnt done very well. He might do well and I hope he does but it's taking a gamble - not always a bad thing but as I said I think someone like Rooney of Inverness would be a more secure investment.

Liam Miller has nothing to do with it and the "basis" of my argument is simply summed up by what Ive just said.

If you dont agree and dont think that Adam Rooney is a good player, fair enough - if you know enough of Duffy to suggest that he's a sure thing then also fair enough. What Ive said is merely what I think.

Hibs07p
31-08-2010, 11:00 AM

It's all about opinions eh! If stokes stayed in England do you think he would be at Celtic now? I don't. I think he would be floundering in the lower leagues of England still trying to prove himself. I think their careers have followed similar paths, and Duffy can be a success in Scotland, hopefully with us. I'm not expecting him to be AS, I'm expecting him to be DD.

TrickyNicky
31-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Imo he will give us something up front we've lacked for a while and that's pace. I think he will turn a few heads in the coming months (Hopefully spl defenders).

Good luck Darryl:thumbsup:

Unless he's the gadge with the Romanov tattoo, i say good luck too !