PDA

View Full Version : Leaving early - a new low?

Hibbyradge
30-08-2010, 06:27 AM
I left 10 minutes before the end yesterday.

It was only 1-0 and we were looking for an equaliser.

And what makes it even more shocking is that I wasn't even at the game. I was in the golf club bar and had nowhere in particular to go.

Has anyone else ever stooped to such levels of, let's face it, betrayal?

Toaods
30-08-2010, 06:30 AM
...dunno, what club was it?

Hibbyradge
30-08-2010, 06:34 AM
...dunno, what club was it?

:faf: :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
30-08-2010, 06:45 AM

And what makes it even more shocking is that I wasn't even at the game. I was in the golf club bar and had nowhere in particular to go.

I did as well actually. Only it was at half time. Had a semi decent illegal stream, but decided a bottle of Bordeaux looked more inviting than the second half. I think (no I don't think I know for sure) the last time I "left" at half time we were getting beaten by Thistle at Firhill about 5-0, must have been around 78 or so. Anyone remember that one? My father in law usally phones me every Sunday to tell me that Hibs are *****. I guess even he is taking sympathy as he never called yetserday. Sad display.

Hibbyradge
30-08-2010, 07:04 AM
I did as well actually. Only it was at half time. Had a semi decent illegal stream, but decided a bottle of Bordeaux looked more inviting than the second half. I think (no I don't think I know for sure) the last time I "left" at half time we were getting beaten by Thistle at Firhill about 5-0, must have been around 78 or so. Anyone remember that one? My father in law usally phones me every Sunday to tell me that Hibs are *****. I guess even he is taking sympathy as he never called yetserday. Sad display.

I remember that game well. I stayed till the end, ya part time basssa. :wink:

In fact, that game is the backdrop to one of my favourite optimism stories.

The usual crowd of us went through on the Hawkhill bus and we had a few beers before the game in some hospitable hostelry somewhere near Firhill.

Hibs were woeful and we were losing 6-0 with about 10 minutes to go when Ralph Callaghan scores a consolation.

One of our mates, Mike Sweeney, takes great encouragement from the goal and shouts at the top of his voice, "Come on Hibs, get intae them. There's still time!".

I never saw the end of the game for the tears in my eyes.

There's still time. :faf: A classic.

On a slight tangent when I remember, we once went into the Old Ibrox House for a drink before a game. Scarves off, incognito, obviously.

It was a foul place, all linoleum and Formica as I recall. Rangers must have been on a poor run cos I don't remember the bar being all that busy. About half full, I guess..

In order to stay out of the way of the evil hordes, we decided to play darts in the corner.

Our plan was progressing nicely, we were drinking cheaply, close to the stadium and although we were in the enemies lair, we felt safe, and, if I'm truthful, a little bit daring.

However, things took a turn for the worse.

Mike was at the bar, buying his round when his initials came to the top of the queue on the blackboard.

My other mate, John (Atticmonkey) forgets where he is for a second and shouts across the pub to the bar, "Sweeney, you're on at the darts".

Cue tumbleweed, 6 ashen faces and Mike saying to the barmaid who has offered service, "Nah, it's alright, I've changed my mind."

:offski:

:faf:

bighairyfaeleith
30-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I left at half time, the tv in the pub kept freezing so i went to the pub down the road, just to discover that they didn't have sky sports 4 so couldn't put it on. I was absolutely delighted they didn't have it in the end:wink:

BroxburnHibee
30-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Clearly not a real fan.