PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Deek

Black Kyle
29-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Just had a text from a usually reliable mate who suggests that Deek and the Yogi master have had a huge fall out after today's subbing.

Let's see if there's any further damage as a result of this if true e.g. I'm no playing / you're no playing.

Last thing we need at the moment are egos being massaged and inflated on all sides.

500miles
29-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Doubt it's true. Riordan would have no right to be annoyed, because he was totally absent if he wasn't giving the ball away today, bar the 2 set pieces.

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
29-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Was at the game and they did exchange words when he was subbed and he went up the tunnel. Handbags really. FWIW i think he did have a right to be annoyed. Sure he wasn't good today but there were 6 or 7 equally bad, the difference is that they are all less likely to score you a goal.

Littlest Hobo
29-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Was at the game and they did exchange words when he was subbed and he went up the tunnel. Handbags really. FWIW i think he did have a right to be annoyed. Sure he wasn't good today but there were 6 or 7 equally bad, the difference is that they are all less likely to score you a goal.

Agreed, Riorden is the one more likely to score but Yogi the tactical genius that he is thinks otherwise:bitchy:

Ed De Gramo
29-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Doubt it's true. Riordan would have no right to be annoyed, because he was totally absent if he wasn't giving the ball away today, bar the 2 set pieces.

usually i'd agree with you......but today Deek shouldn't have been subbed :boo hoo:

he's a match changer :agree:

Toaods
29-08-2010, 09:17 PM

there are only two clear 'absents' I can recall...

Deek from the end of a shockingly overhit forward pass from Nish on the left and Stokes from training.

stewthehibee
29-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Doubt it's true. Riordan would have no right to be annoyed, because he was totally absent if he wasn't giving the ball away today, bar the 2 set pieces.How many chances did we have today? As far as i can see not many. And as for Nish and Stokes not even a shot on target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Deek has A RIGHT TO BE PI**** off with bieng taken off.

500miles
29-08-2010, 10:19 PM
there are only two clear 'absents' I can recall...

Deek from the end of a shockingly overhit forward pass from Nish on the left and Stokes from training.

"Shockingly overhit" aye? Riordan hesitated and still got to it! In fact, if he stretched his left leg out, he probably would have got it before it hit the bi-line.

silverhibee
30-08-2010, 12:04 AM

Gee it a rest Yogi about Riordan.

churchie16
30-08-2010, 12:06 AM
wouldnt be surprised if yogi droped deeks and played nish upfront for the next couple of games :bitchy:

truehibernian
30-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Gee it a rest Yogi about Riordan.

I would say Derek and others had every right to be angry and to question Hughes today so in fairness to Derek he was again ploughing a useless furrow at left midfield, when we all saw his great effect v Well and v Rangers playing 4-4-2. Why Hughes felt the need to accommodate Nish today is beyond me, and yet again he negated Galbraith's talent by playing the boy in the unusual left back slot for periods. Silverhibee - what would Derek's thoughts be on having Galbraith alongside, or playing left mid ? (obviously Derek playing up top).

LancashireHibby
30-08-2010, 12:11 AM
We needed as many attacking players on the field as possible - think Riordan had every right to be annoyed at being brought off, to be honest.

stokesmessiah
30-08-2010, 12:26 AM
We needed as many attacking players on the field as possible - think Riordan had every right to be annoyed at being brought off, to be honest.

:agree: As soon as that substitution was made i knew it was a fair cop......Deek even more so than Stokesy is our natural goal scorer, when your chasing a game, why take him off!!!??n:confused:

500miles
30-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Aye! Lets chuck as many attacking players on as we can! Mixu never got slated for it.....

We needed meaningful possession in the St. Mirren final third, and a steady base to work off of.

Derek Riordan was not contributing.

Anthony Stokes stayed on because he had more effect in open play.

Nish stayed on because he, despite not having the game of his life, still brought the ball down, won flick ons, and found possession in deep areas.

Derek Riordan would have been kept on because there was a chance - no more predictable than the toss of a coin that he may have scored. Yogi didn't fancy relying on the element of chance which dominates Riordan's game, and stuck on subs who he hoped would improve the performance of the team as a whole, and FORCE a breakthrough.

Basically you stick with Riordan and cross your fingers, or you try and find a way of forcing a goal. Instead of waiting on chance, Yogi chose to try and make his own luck. It didn't work out, because there were too many other's who weren't performing.

500miles
30-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I would say Derek and others had every right to be angry and to question Hughes today so in fairness to Derek he was again ploughing a useless furrow at left midfield, when we all saw his great effect v Well and v Rangers playing 4-4-2. Why Hughes felt the need to accommodate Nish today is beyond me, and yet again he negated Galbraith's talent by playing the boy in the unusual left back slot for periods. Silverhibee - what would Derek's thoughts be on having Galbraith alongside, or playing left mid ? (obviously Derek playing up top).
I also watched Derek Riordan play well against Maribor on the left. He can do it - whether he feels like it or not is all in his own head.

silverhibee
30-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Aye! Lets chuck as many attacking players on as we can! Mixu never got slated for it.....

We needed meaningful possession in the St. Mirren final third, and a steady base to work off of.

Nish stayed on because he, despite not having the game of his life, still brought the ball down, won flick ons, and found possession in deep areas.

Derek Riordan would have been kept on because there was a chance - no more predictable than the toss of a coin that he may have scored. Yogi didn't fancy relying on the element of chance which dominates Riordan's game, and stuck on subs who he hoped would improve the performance of the team as a whole, and FORCE a breakthrough.

Basically you stick with Riordan and cross your fingers, or you try and find a way of forcing a goal. Instead of waiting on chance, Yogi chose to try and make his own luck. It didn't work out, because there were too many other's who weren't performing.

Yep Stokes done a sterling job today, found a St Mirren player every time he had the ball.

Underdose
30-08-2010, 12:44 AM

I must have been watching a different game from you. Nish was and has always been powder puff. Has a shocking touch and doesnt win nearly as much as he should in the air...

hibs0666
30-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Yep Stokes done a sterling job today, found a St Mirren player every time he had the ball.

But can play with his back to goal.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2010, 12:45 AM
wouldnt be surprised if yogi droped deeks and played nish upfront for the next couple of games :bitchy:

or nish alongside hogg in defence is even more likely with yogi :boo hoo:

500miles
30-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Now Derek, dinnae be bitter. Just because he's getting paid so much more than you now and might just actually get a game......

500miles
30-08-2010, 01:00 AM
But can play with his back to goal.

Exactly, as much as he may have gave it away himself, there were occassions where he took it in. He wasn't good, but Riordan was worse today. Stokes - despite having things on his mind - was the lesser of the two evils.

Number69
30-08-2010, 09:36 AM
500miles, have the board offered you a new contract yet?

500miles
30-08-2010, 11:07 AM
500miles, have the board offered you a new contract yet?

Currently out with a fractured metatarsal. 5 weeks till I make a predicted recovery, and looking forward to tapping on Yogi's door with a ball and a set of training cones if we don't find ourselves a hard ******* midfielder!

A man can dream......

My issue isn't actually with Derek Riordan. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was poor yesterday, and his contribution was, over the course of the game, the least out of any of our forwards. What my issue is with is how he is beyond criticism from some - and it has been suggested that I have some sort of grudge against him in the past, but nothing could be further from the truth. I have been glowing in my praise about him for some time now, on the back of some good performances. He was becoming "a more complete player" and I thought that his inclusion in the Scotland squad was only a matter of time, because with his general play, and the goals that we knew would come, he's unignorable.

However, then he goes and produces a performance like yesterday, and it's clear that his attitude was not right at all. First of all, that ball from Nish to the bi-line - there was nothing wrong with it, it's a textbook move! Something you will see on training grounds up and down the country - knock it to the bi-line on the edge of the box, low ball into the centre of the box and it should cause all kinds of problems. How many times do you see that sort of goal? Plenty. To make things worse after producing a poor perfomance like that, he has the cheek to greet about being subbed. 1. If you're subbed, you're subbed - the managers decision really, and you should just get on with it really. 2. If you're subbed due to a poor performance, then it doesn't matter how poorly you think those around you are playing, you have no right of reply as regards the managers decision to take you off.

All i can hope for is that in two weeks time, Derek Riordan is back on form, back to the way he was playing - be it his performance left mid against Maribor, or up front against M'Well and the Hun - prior to today.

I think that's a fairly balanced assessment of the situation. If you're one of these people who's a bigger Derek Riordan fan than a Hibs fan, then you may well take issue with it, but i don't really care if that's the case - for me Derek Riordan is just another player in a Hibs shirt, albeit one with a helluva lot of talent. I have no reason other than that to support him, no agenda, no connection.

Some people DO seem to have a connection, however, which makes them so hostile towards any criticism of Derek, I can only imagine it's either romantic or umbilical! There are times I find it to be infuriating - especially when it only seems to add to the criticism that other Hibs players game, for I have every bit as much support for them as I do for Derek Riordan.

Nish, Hogg, Rankin etc., all taking a sort of hateful vitriolic attack, regardless of general performance. Nish didn't have his best game today, but still managed to do the job of supporting striker to a degree. Hogg, actually, I thought was solid today, and done the simple things well, and made the right pass 9/10 . In fact, I watched the game with my dad yesterday, who is a critic of Hogg's eagerness to put his laces through the ball every time it comes near him, so i was keeping an eye out for what he done in possession, and the majority of his decision making was correct. Bamba on the otherhand had a tendancy to over elaborate in possession, but you'll not hear many people saying anything other than the usual cliched line of "He's our rock". Rankin didn't only got a sub appearance, in which he never got much of a chance to make a difference, despite going out an hunting for the ball, and he still get's pelters as if he spent the whole game giving them the ball!

Scapegoats and unquestioned heroes are for people too stupid, lazy, or partisan to come up with thier own conclusions about a game of football. Which is really disappointing when you are on a forum for discussion, because it makes discussion of ones own point of view difficult, and when a post does bear a lot of facts which someone doesn't like, they often just get ignored. It's frustrating to say the least.

Antifa Hibs
30-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Been told a few times that Derek can't stand Hughes, Bamba is the same...

flash
30-08-2010, 11:54 AM
DR was poor yesterday as were many others. The argument would be whether you keep him on in case we get a free kick in a good position.

Where the problem lies is surely that he should be part of a front two and not in midfield where is next to useless.

Beefster
30-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Does this mean that we're now going to hear lots of rumours about Hughes' activities outside of EM/ER?

Golden Bear
30-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Just had a text from a usually reliable mate who suggests that Deek and the Yogi master have had a huge fall out after today's subbing.

Let's see if there's any further damage as a result of this if true e.g. I'm no playing / you're no playing.

Last thing we need at the moment are egos being massaged and inflated on all sides.

Sadly, I've just heard similar news.

Hibby 2005
30-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Unsurprising, if true.

Deek wants to play up front, Yogi thinks he's a winger/midfielder.

Add to that the fact Deek knows Yogi is tactically inept (most of the time).

Big90inOz
30-08-2010, 12:43 PM

I must have watched a different game, guy offers very little. Mickey Weir won more headers than Nish.
No first touch, rotten in the air, turns like milk, gets bullied all over the park

hibee92
30-08-2010, 01:17 PM
canny say who but heard from 2 sources that he's been told to find a new club, hope its bollox but i came on to see this thread and i'm worried, surely no! :grr:

Beefster
30-08-2010, 01:19 PM
canny say who but heard from 2 sources that he's been told to find a new club, hope its bollox but i came on to see this thread and i'm worried, surely no! :grr:

I can't say who from but I've read, em, heard the same story too.

ionahibby
30-08-2010, 01:25 PM

I actually heard the same thing a couple of weeks ago from someone that he wasn't being offered another contract was hoping that it was bollocks though but starting to wonder :bitchy:

Broken Gnome
30-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I must have watched a different game, guy offers very little. Mickey Weir won more headers than Nish.
No first touch, rotten in the air, turns like milk, gets bullied all over the park

If you isolate every passage of play involving Colin Nish - be it goals, link-up play, aerial challenges, everything good or bad.... I'd reckon he's failing his job around 75% of the time. At least. :agree:

Twiglet
30-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Just been reading the same on Bounce. Would sooner see us without a manager for a couple of games than without Deeks.
If true, does Hughes have an ambition to have the team with the lowest goals scored or something?:rolleyes:

punks_jump_up
30-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Just been reading the same on Bounce. Would sooner see us without a manager for a couple of games than without Deeks.
If true, does Hughes have an ambition to have the team with the lowest goals scored or something?:rolleyes:

Hughes "allegedly" told Riordan he can find a new club if he wants as he would rather have Stokes in his team instead of him.
Backfired a bit maybe with Stokes now gone :rolleyes:
Also had a go at Murray i'm told.

Houchy
30-08-2010, 07:00 PM

I hate to sound like a jambo but, if he starts all this sh*t, we're going to have to start some kind of plan to get this clown out, whether it be protests or whatever.

It's a pity because after the performances against Motherwell and the first hour against Rangers, I really thought (and really hoped for his sake) that he'd turned the corner.

Twiglet
30-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Hughes "allegedly" told Riordan he can find a new club if he wants as he would rather have Stokes in his team instead of him.
Backfired a bit maybe with Stokes now gone :rolleyes:
Also had a go at Murray i'm told.

I know, it's all rumours isn't it? Scary though. I am not going to rest easy until the transfer window's shut.
IF the above is true, maybe the Hibs board will start asking questions, surely they can't have a player revolt so early in the season, and especially if it's not coming just from one player.

tooley
30-08-2010, 08:04 PM
The most naturally gifted Scottish player in the SPL or a clown Celtic fan Hibs Sympathiser painter from Leith:grr:
Who is right ???
YOU DECIDE

Del Boy
30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
heard in the bookies earlier tonight (from someone close to DR) that Deeks could be away tomorrow....:bitchy:

hibee_nation
30-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Well thats it a done deal then, someone down the bookies says so. Did they also say who won the 3.30 at Haydock by the way. :cool2:

DH1875
30-08-2010, 09:07 PM
heard in the bookies earlier tonight (from someone close to DR) that Deeks could be away tomorrow....:bitchy:

Revolt.

This is getting to be a bit of a joke now. Looks like we could lose Deeks, Bamba and Stokes all in the space of 24hrs. Throw in the rumour he has told Murray he can go as well. Will be an intersting day tomorrow but not looking good.

ScottB
30-08-2010, 09:17 PM
If Deeks gets driven out I want Yogis head on a pike!

Utterly unacceptable if it happens and would leave us with TWO strikers, one of which has probably barely kicked a ball in months.

We'll be relegation material.

hibee_nation
30-08-2010, 09:33 PM
If Deeks gets driven out I want Yogis head on a pike!

Utterly unacceptable if it happens and would leave us with TWO strikers, one of which has probably barely kicked a ball in months.

We'll be relegation material.

Thats big Nishy then, who else we got. :wink: