PDA

View Full Version : Can any of the less excitable...

Liberal Hibby
29-08-2010, 07:47 PM
...posters who saw the game give me an objective view of the game?

Cos I didn't see it on the telly and the Beeb match report suggests we had the better chances.

So what was it - scrappy, dull and unlucky (like usual in Paisley)? Or a travesty with St Deeks being snubbed by the moron that is Hughes? Or something in between...

Gatecrasher
29-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Cos I didn't see it on the telly and the Beeb match report suggests we had the better chances.

So what was it - scrappy, dull and unlucky (like usual in Paisley)? Or a travesty with St Deeks being snubbed by the moron that is Hughes? Or something in between...

it was pretty bad TBH

hardly an effort on goal apart from 1 or 2 set peices from deeko.

SloopJB
29-08-2010, 07:53 PM
A friend who is training to be a sports physio watched the game although he isn't a hibby said Hibs played no too bad, kept the ball well mostly but St Mirren defended deep after scoring.

Sylar
29-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I like to think I'm quite impartial, so here is my take.

We started well, keeping possession well, stroking the ball around nicely and not being troubled. We did fail to create many clear cut chances though and I felt this was a constant problem throughout the game - I didn't feel our forwards made much space or moved about enough to generate any space.

At the back, we were pretty shambolic - Bamba looked pretty solid, but there's only so much he can do on his own - I'm not one of the "berate Hogg at every turn" group, but he doesn't look comfortable as a defender.

I must admit, I didn't understand the decision to hook Riordan, but it wasn't the deciding factor in the game - we just looked pish up front.

We didn't do enough to win the game - simple as that. I'm not sure we quite deserved to lose it, but if you fail to create and take chances, there's always a danger of the inevitable 1 point (it looked like that for a while, as it was an awfully dull game) becoming 0 points.

marinello59
29-08-2010, 07:58 PM

We started well, keeping possession well, stroking the ball around nicely and not being troubled. We did fail to create many clear cut chances though and I felt this was a constant problem throughout the game - I didn't feel our forwards made much space or moved about enough to generate any space.

At the back, we were pretty shambolic - Bamba looked pretty solid, but there's only so much he can do on his own - I'm not one of the "berate Hogg at every turn" group, but he doesn't look comfortable as a defender.

I must admit, I didn't understand the decision to hook Riordan, but it wasn't the deciding factor in the game - we just looked pish up front.

We didn't do enough to win the game - simple as that. I'm not sure we quite deserved to lose it, but if you fail to create and take chances, there's always a danger of the inevitable 1 point (it looked like that for a while, as it was an awfully dull game) becoming 0 points.

If you take out your description of the defence as shambolic your summation seems to match that of Yogi's own

Littlest Hobo
29-08-2010, 07:58 PM
We saw alot of the ball without too much creativity. We could really do with Zouma back in the team again, i think he could certainly make a wee difference to us going forward. Defensively we are pretty poor even though Bamba wins everything in the air he gets dragged all over the place which sometimes leaves young Hanlon or Hogg exposed. Talking of Hogg, thought he could have done better at the goal. He jumped for the ball and lost out, which lead to it looping over Ticot and for the St Mirren player to sneak in front and tap it in the net.

We were most dangerous at the set pieces today with Riorden coming close two or three times. Stokes was awful today I thought.

Also thought Wotherspoon was poor again, quite a few silly errors that seem to have sneaked into his game of late. Think it's a confidence problem as has Hanlon mainly because of Yogi dropping them every other week or playing them out of position.

On a brighter note, quite like the look of Brown in goal but it still early doors to be judging him just yet.

Liberal Hibby
29-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Cheers - thanks guys.

HFC 0-7
29-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Same old same old I am afraid. Passing the ball nice and neat in front of the opposition, try to go forward and we immediately try to do it at 100mph or at a snails pace. Eventually St Mirren realised we didnt pose as much threat going forward as we like to think we do and pressed us further up the pitch causing us to rush and mis place passes. Even the gifted players were struggling at times because of the lack of movement around and our addiction with playing narrow that caused the midfield to get clogged at times.

To Summarize the game, it was nice passing between the midfield well infront of the opposition with no signs of defence splitting passes or someone attacking their defence. The result often was a lump up the park and losing possession, thus resulting in the loss of a goal because of suspect defending and to finish off some strange tactical changes which baffles the fans.

Vini1875
29-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Same as usual at Paisley as far as I am concerned. They seem willing to scrap for it where as we just lose our way if the goals don't come. Yogi got it wrong with the tactics as well. We simply have no pace or drive forward.

Sylar
29-08-2010, 08:05 PM
If you take out your description of the defence as shambolic your summation seems to match that of Yogi's own

Perhaps he would disagree, but they got down the flanks far too easily. The distribution from the back was wayward on numerous occassions and we were exposed far too regularly, though granted, they didn't capitalise by creating many chances.

I'm quite sure I could have finished their eventual goal though - defence posted missing.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
29-08-2010, 08:11 PM
No flair, no final ball, no goals. :grr:

500miles
29-08-2010, 08:12 PM
We were flat, very flat.

Thier goal came from a set piece, in which, for me, Hanlon was the main culprit. Had Hanlon jumped first, McGregor is beaten, and it's an everyday clearance. Hogg will get the blame, but he had to jump over the Hanlon to get anywhere near McGregor.

Thicot had two sides to his game. One side was totally awful - sharpness. His passing was sloppy, his decision making wasn't all there, and his first touch was dodgy. However, as with most things, there are two sides to this story. While he isn't a natural right back, he done well in making himself available for Hogg who, today at least, made a decent job of playing most things along the deck. Of course, neither player will get credit for this, but that's the Hibs.net way.

Bamba is getting all the usual plaudits. "Our rock" etc., but for the everyday things he got right, he over elaborated a lot. A couple of times he picked up the ball in deep areas, ran with the ball, had clear oppertunity to pass, but ran into a ruck of players. Similarly, one header from a corner he seemed to try and be clever and score with, when a simple knock back into the danger area would have caused St. Mirren all sorts of problems. I think he played for himself today, rather than the team.

Hanlon was a bit all over the place, and Murray will get his place back no problem.

Miller played well, not his best, but still plenty of good work in his movement, passing and ball winning.

DeGraff looks lost. Out of his depth isn't the term i'd use, because his pedigree suggests that he is a good player, struggling to adapt to the pace of the scottish game. Perhaps he is too old to make the change now, but only time will give us conclusive evidence either way.

Wotherspoon done some good things, and bad. Typical of a young player - his decision making was questionable, but some nice touches in tight situations. Probably one of the main culprits for moves breaking down in the final third though. He'll get better, the fans need to be patient with him.

Derek Riordan is getting an awful easy ride on this board. Apart from two freekicks, his only notable contribution was his giving the ball away. Didn't put in the performance that he showed he could earlier in the season - EVEN against Maribor when he played on the left, before people start making excuses for him. One good ball from Nish required him to hit the bi-line and knock it in, and he seemed to grudge it - which typifies the worst of Derek Riordan for me.

Nish doesn't deserve the stick he's getting here. He played a deep role, and won a few knock ons, free kicks and fed a lovely ball to Stokes. In one situation he got into a position where most strikers would shoot, but he's not got the confidence, and it's no wonder when you listen to our "fans". A goal and a win would do him the world of good.

Stokes came to life periodically. Looked strong on some occassions, and quick, but faded in and out of the game. People forget he's still a young guy too, so it's to be expected.

Subs.

Galbraith came on at left back initially, and done well on the ball, although I wouldn't dare give him 90 minutes of defensive responsibility, as he was caught out of position at least once within 5 minutes of coming on. When Murray came on, he pushed up onto the wing, and didn't get the same freedom. Perhaps too easily knocked about at this moment in time.

Murray and Rankin came into a team struggling to find a spark, and couldnt add to it.

A few players who didn't raise thier game when they should have, some short on confidence, and others who didn't play badly, but who couldn't drag the team along with them.

Miller was my MOTM.

skipster7
29-08-2010, 08:29 PM
We were flat, very flat.

Thier goal came from a set piece, in which, for me, Hanlon was the main culprit. Had Hanlon jumped first, McGregor is beaten, and it's an everyday clearance. Hogg will get the blame, but he had to jump over the Hanlon to get anywhere near McGregor.

Thicot had two sides to his game. One side was totally awful - sharpness. His passing was sloppy, his decision making wasn't all there, and his first touch was dodgy. However, as with most things, there are two sides to this story. While he isn't a natural right back, he done well in making himself available for Hogg who, today at least, made a decent job of playing most things along the deck. Of course, neither player will get credit for this, but that's the Hibs.net way.

Bamba is getting all the usual plaudits. "Our rock" etc., but for the everyday things he got right, he over elaborated a lot. A couple of times he picked up the ball in deep areas, ran with the ball, had clear oppertunity to pass, but ran into a ruck of players. Similarly, one header from a corner he seemed to try and be clever and score with, when a simple knock back into the danger area would have caused St. Mirren all sorts of problems. I think he played for himself today, rather than the team.

Hanlon was a bit all over the place, and Murray will get his place back no problem.

Miller played well, not his best, but still plenty of good work in his movement, passing and ball winning.

DeGraff looks lost. Out of his depth isn't the term i'd use, because his pedigree suggests that he is a good player, struggling to adapt to the pace of the scottish game. Perhaps he is too old to make the change now, but only time will give us conclusive evidence either way.

Wotherspoon done some good things, and bad. Typical of a young player - his decision making was questionable, but some nice touches in tight situations. Probably one of the main culprits for moves breaking down in the final third though. He'll get better, the fans need to be patient with him.

Derek Riordan is getting an awful easy ride on this board. Apart from two freekicks, his only notable contribution was his giving the ball away. Didn't put in the performance that he showed he could earlier in the season - EVEN against Maribor when he played on the left, before people start making excuses for him. One good ball from Nish required him to hit the bi-line and knock it in, and he seemed to grudge it - which typifies the worst of Derek Riordan for me.

Nish doesn't deserve the stick he's getting here. He played a deep role, and won a few knock ons, free kicks and fed a lovely ball to Stokes. In one situation he got into a position where most strikers would shoot, but he's not got the confidence, and it's no wonder when you listen to our "fans". A goal and a win would do him the world of good.

Stokes came to life periodically. Looked strong on some occassions, and quick, but faded in and out of the game. People forget he's still a young guy too, so it's to be expected.

Subs.

Galbraith came on at left back initially, and done well on the ball, although I wouldn't dare give him 90 minutes of defensive responsibility, as he was caught out of position at least once within 5 minutes of coming on. When Murray came on, he pushed up onto the wing, and didn't get the same freedom. Perhaps too easily knocked about at this moment in time.

Murray and Rankin came into a team struggling to find a spark, and couldnt add to it.

A few players who didn't raise thier game when they should have, some short on confidence, and others who didn't play badly, but who couldn't drag the team along with them.

Miller was my MOTM.
:agree:
pretty much my assesment, apart from ian murray playing LB in the coming season.dont think he has any pace and was targeted at the tail end of last season.

500miles
29-08-2010, 08:59 PM
:agree:
pretty much my assesment, apart from ian murray playing LB in the coming season.dont think he has any pace and was targeted at the tail end of last season.

If Booth is ready for the step up, he will make it after Christmas - but not before.

Funnily enough, I heard that he was actually playing left mid yesterday when he got his goal, which was what I thought he might get a crack at here if he hadn't got sent out on loan. Allows him to get forward, which he is excellent at based on what I saw when he was u19s.
Recalling him would be wrong though. He's young, he's having success, and most of all, I would imagine he is enjoying his football, which is so important to a young player's developement.

Jones28
29-08-2010, 09:01 PM

add lackluster and pish to that list

oregonhibby
29-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Thicot caught ball watching twice to keep the St Mirren player onside. Got away with it first half and didn't second -goal. He gave the ball away far too often and didn't look comfortable.

No Plan B and why Nish was left on to play right winger crossing balls in to midgets was beyond me.

They looked hungry and played tight against us. Attempts mask the quality of chances which were poor. Teams like St Mirren have worked us out. Allow us to pass across the park and get right into us as we move forward.

There is always the next game!

stokesmessiah
29-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Perhaps he would disagree, but they got down the flanks far too easily. The distribution from the back was wayward on numerous occassions and we were exposed far too regularly, though granted, they didn't capitalise by creating many chances.

I'm quite sure I could have finished their eventual goal though - defence posted missing.

IMO this is one of the main problems right now, i lost count of the amount of times that miller or de graaf dropped deep to take the ball from our defence just to give the ball straight back to them. This then leads to the inevitable hoof up the park from Hogg and posession is lost again. De Graff was signed and we were told he was box to box, no one explained that meant he would collect the ball from our box and send it straight back there?? :confused:

Emerald
29-08-2010, 11:57 PM
We created nothing other than Deeks free kicks, thats it. Our defence was ok, although Thicot must have a fobia of heading a football. He is also so out of position the poor guy has no chance. Wotherspoon, well, he is a good player but he cant pass the ball, usually good player are able to do that!!!!!!!!! Basics, its dire to watch! We really must have better than this to attract the crowds back, especially in these difficult financial times for the fans.

LancashireHibby
30-08-2010, 12:26 AM
As far as the goal is concerned, I think a huge amount of blame can be put Thicot's way as he was stood ball-watching and left his man completely unmarked and completely unchallenged. Even if he didn't win the header, at least a degree of pressure might have meant the lad fluffing his chance.

stokesmessiah
30-08-2010, 12:28 AM
As far as the goal is concerned, I think a huge amount of blame can be put Thicot's way as he was stood ball-watching and left his man completely unmarked and completely unchallenged. Even if he didn't win the header, at least a degree of pressure might have meant the lad fluffing his chance.

Or stepping out like the rest of the defence did???

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-08-2010, 07:21 AM
For some reason, although the first team spent 10 minutes doing the shooting from the edge of the box routine during the warm up [ and they were flying in from all angles], they forgot this during the game and wanted to walk the ball into the net. Miller was the biggest culprit. Shame, cos he had a good game, but he always looked to lay the ball off rather than shoot. Also, I would take the midfielders and forwards and get the goalkeeping coach Scott Thomson, to show them how to cross the ball form deep into dangerous areas. He managed it with ease during the goalies warm up but this [basic?] skill seemed to be beyond most players.