PDA

View Full Version : Scottish football - whats the point?

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Becoming disillusioned completely, its just a trophy factory for The OF and its gash!

Beefster
29-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Becoming disillusioned completely, its just a trophy factory for The OF and its gash!

Would you have posted this today if we had won or do you mean "What's the point - Hibs are pish"?

one day maybe...
29-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Think the original post has a point we were pissh, but that was a very poor game of football and emphasised everything that is wrong with the spl. To many teams are scared to get beat rather than actually try and win a game. Don't mind getting beat if my team has bust a gut to try and win it but c'mon that was piss poor from both sides. Finally wtf was Thicot doing today certainly not playing football.
Rant over :grr:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Beefster, one result either way makes nae odds to me the general standard of the SPL is falling at an alarming rate.

Sylar
29-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Beefster, one result either way makes nae odds to me the general standard of the SPL is falling at an alarming rate.

Agree entirely - I've been saying this for a long while now, but watching the coverage of the 2 games today really drew my attention to it.

The crowds are completely devoid of any enthusiasm, the product on the park is so loose and untalented - the amount of players who can't pass a ball 10ft or who have a first touch of lead is staggering. Matches are overpriced, officials (as in, blazers who govern) are beyond corrupt, as are the officials (referees). Nobody has the finances to attract players who can challenge the Old Firm, and whenever a team looks likey, the West Coast disease strikes, paying pittence and preventing any competition from occurring.

Television coverage is poor, as the commentators/pundits have about as much enthusiasm as the crowds and most games are for the benefit of the wider market, with Rangers or Celtic usually featuring.

The youth setups at nearly all clubs are either non-existent or have such a low productivity, that our national team aren't benefitting, as nearly all clubs would rather buy non-domestic players as a short term solution than give youth a chance.

We could go on and on and on, but I fear I'm already doing that, so I'll quit now :wink:

There is a solution though, and Blobby was right - £13.50 buys you unlimited cinema entertainment for a month!

davehiby
29-08-2010, 03:34 PM
think the original post has a point we were pissh, but that was a very poor game of football and emphasised everything that is wrong with the spl. To many teams are scared to get beat rather than actually try and win a game. Don't mind getting beat if my team has bust a gut to try and win it but c'mon that was piss poor from both sides. Finally wtf was thicot doing today certainly not playing football.
Rant over :grr:

could'nt agree more not a lot of :football: On display glad i watched on sky in the house because i was continually going outside for a smoke because i knew i was missing nothing!!!!!!!

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2010, 05:55 PM
That was a pish game, no doubt about it. And the quality of football was poor. No doubt it needs sorting.

But c'mon. The EPL, the Spanish league, the French league, the Dutch league, the Italian league, the Portuguese league etc etc. How many times do clubs outwith the big 3 or 4 win those leagues ?

jdships
29-08-2010, 06:36 PM
That was a pish game, no doubt about it. And the quality of football was poor. No doubt it needs sorting.

But c'mon. The EPL, the Spanish league, the French league, the Dutch league, the Italian league, the Portuguese league etc etc. How many times do clubs outwith the big 3 or 4 win those leagues ?

Putting aside the OP's and your point of OF/big 3 or 4 winning everything., with which I agree.
The quality of the "product" on offer has gone down and down over the past few years .
OF apart we have teams full of second rate overseas players who are either not suited to our game , of inferior quality to what we have or at the end of their careers topping up their pensions.
What happened to
Kerr
Govan
Shaw
Finnigan
Aird
Kean
Smith
Johnston
Reilly
Turnbull
Ormond
All Scot's who learned their trade playing "take on's" in the public parks .
I played with two lads 60 years ago who were "spotted" in public park "take ons" and given the chance to play Junior and then Senior football .
Any kids ever play bounce games on The Links, Inverleith, Saughton, Pilton Parks of a summer night nowadays ?
Certainly not from what I see. :bitchy:
I know of one 12 year old who was told by his team coach "....don't play too much in the summeras we need you fit for the season start end of August " !!!!!!
Words fail me !!
"Back to basics " for me - has any SPL manager got the balls to put out a "Scottish XI" in the next year or so ?

The answer is in our own hands surely or will we just go on the way it is in the "forlorn hope" it will come good :confused:

:flag:

SloopJB
29-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Putting aside the OP's and your point of OF/big 3 or 4 winning everything., with which I agree.
The quality of the "product" on offer has gone down and down over the past few years .
OF apart we have teams full of second rate overseas players who are either not suited to our game , of inferior quality to what we have or at the end of their careers topping up their pensions.
What happened to
Kerr
Govan
Shaw
Finnigan
Aird
Kean
Smith
Johnston
Reilly
Turnbull
Ormond
All Scot's who learned their trade playing "take on's" in the public parks .
I played with two lads 60 years ago who were "spotted" in public park "take ons" and given the chance to play Junior and then Senior football .
Any kids ever play bounce games on The Links, Inverleith, Saughton, Pilton Parks of a summer night nowadays ?
Certainly not from what I see. :bitchy:
I know of one 12 year old who was told by his team coach "....don't play too much in the summeras we need you fit for the season start end of August " !!!!!!
Words fail me !!
"Back to basics " for me - has any SPL manager got the balls to put out a "Scottish XI" in the next year or so ?

The answer is in our own hands surely or will we just go on the way it is in the "forlorn hope" it will come good :confused:

:flag:

I remember going to ER when we had the high terrace watching utter ***** saying that's it, not going back as it was purgatory.
Several ST's later the same ***** can be seen at ER.

we seem to be saying year on year that scottish football is getting worse. worse than what?
We've had foriegn coaches, foriegn players, experienced managers, up and coming managers, think tanks the lot.
We seem to have turned into the very supporters we despise, arrogant in expecting to beat other teams when we are unable to live up to these expectations we call for the manager to be sacked.

Tears and snotters flow from this site with more criticism than supporting going on.

What's the point of the SPL? support your team through thick and thin because it's in your blood. You could just stop and watch the EPL. Choices.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Ive been going for over 30 years, its becoming a bit of a chore unfortunately.

LancashireHibby
29-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Saw the game on telly in a hotel in Leigh (they were switching between our game and the Bolton game, which was good of them as nowhere else was showing the Hibs game) and then watched the Sunderland-City and Villa-Everton games, and to be fair the Hibs game wasn't that much worse than the other three. We know we're rarely going to have a chance of keeping up with Rantic, but you could say the same of every other European league.