PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Dundee - mists of time

KdyHby
28-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Was reading something about Dundee FC - and recalled a Hibs v Dundee match (poss late 70s/early 80s) being stopped because of fog. I think the rearranged match was free to get in, and attracted a then "massive" crowd of c12k. Anyone else remember this/has any facts/figs about it?

Skol
28-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I was at both games, but cant have been much older than 10 so memories a bit hazy

HibeePaj
28-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I was at both games, but cant have been much older than 10 so memories a bit hazy

FOGot about this

Gettin' Auld
28-08-2010, 01:37 PM
FOGot about this
Haar Haar Haar!!

davidw
28-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I remember that, bizarrely, Sportscene (Archie McPherson and all) showed the highlights of the replayed game that night - presumably because there was no other football on, and it was near the end of the financial year... Can't remember exact score but Hibs won comfortably (fairly sure they scored three) with Wullie Irivine, our one-season-20-goal-wonder, definately scoring. Might have been 3-0 or something similar.

hibbybrian
28-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Was reading something about Dundee FC - and recalled a Hibs v Dundee match (poss late 70s/early 80s) being stopped because of fog. I think the rearranged match was free to get in, and attracted a then "massive" crowd of c12k. Anyone else remember this/has any facts/figs about it?

Offhand I can't remember the Dundee game you are mentioning, but I remember a match v Motherwell in the mid 70's being stopped for fog not long after it started with Hibs winning 1-0. IIRC Hibs allowed the fans into the stand for the replay (I went to the enclosure) and Hibs won 1-0.

Bobo
28-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The original match was played on the 5th February 1984 and was abandoned after 20 minutes because of the fog. The replayed game took place on February 29th, Hibs won 3-1 and everybody got in for nowt.

Gala Foxes
28-08-2010, 03:13 PM
recall that kaneo scored in replayed game

degenerated
28-08-2010, 03:32 PM
recall that kaneo scored in replayed game

was it not direct from a corner?

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 03:37 PM

i was ballboy at this very game! It was early 80s.

IIRC Robin Rae was in goals and he kept telling me he couldnt see a damn thing. I certainly couldnt see the half way from behind his goal. Amazed game went ahead. Hibs were poor back then. Paddy Stanton was manager.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I remember that, bizarrely, Sportscene (Archie McPherson and all) showed the highlights of the replayed game that night - presumably because there was no other football on, and it was near the end of the financial year... Can't remember exact score but Hibs won comfortably (fairly sure they scored three) with Wullie Irivine, our one-season-20-goal-wonder, definately scoring. Might have been 3-0 or something similar.

he was my Hibs hero back in they days. I remember him scoring winner vs the very good Aberdeen team back in same season, 1984, think we won 2-1 on a very hot summers day. Whatever happened to Willie Irvine (not the second one)? Anyone know where he is now/what he does?

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Funny ... cant remember if I was at the original game, but was deffo at the rearranged fixture. A huge crowd for them days as I remember between 10k & 12k.

davidw
28-08-2010, 05:36 PM
he was my Hibs hero back in they days. I remember him scoring winner vs the very good Aberdeen team back in same season, 1984, think we won 2-1 on a very hot summers day. Whatever happened to Willie Irvine (not the second one)? Anyone know where he is now/what he does?

I think he's the manager of Pollok Juniors in Glasgow.

He disappeared shortly after that wonderful goal-scoring season, and I was never very sure what happened. I met him not that many years later (3 or 4 at the most) and he was working behind the bar in a pub in Rose Street. I asked him for his autograph (I was a bit p*ssed, to be honest) and he looked quite emotional at the request. A regular in the bar suggested he had had problems with the club in relation to contracts etc, and that they had given him a hard time and caused him to walk away. That said, it was very late, I was very young and, more to the point, very drunk, so this could be complete nonsense. But if it's not, you heard it here first....

wpj
28-08-2010, 05:47 PM
The original match was played on the 5th February 1984 and was abandoned after 20 minutes because of the fog. The replayed game took place on February 29th, Hibs won 3-1 and everybody got in for nowt.

If my memory serves me well i think I went straight from ER to the Playhouse for Iron Maiden
:rockin:

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 06:04 PM

He disappeared shortly after that wonderful goal-scoring season, and I was never very sure what happened. I met him not that many years later (3 or 4 at the most) and he was working behind the bar in a pub in Rose Street. I asked him for his autograph (I was a bit p*ssed, to be honest) and he looked quite emotional at the request. A regular in the bar suggested he had had problems with the club in relation to contracts etc, and that they had given him a hard time and caused him to walk away. That said, it was very late, I was very young and, more to the point, very drunk, so this could be complete nonsense. But if it's not, you heard it here first....

thanks for that info, i'll have a look online at Pollock's stuff.

Irvine sure was a great player that season. I was a ballboy and he was my hero. I actually had his shirt, i borrowed it from one of the McNamara boys who was also a ballboy. Gutted i had to give him it back :boo hoo:

I honestly thought he'd go on to huge things after Hibs but it went the opposite for him.

Willie Irvine - Hibs Legend :agree: (if only for a season)

Seanair
28-08-2010, 06:09 PM
i was ballboy at this very game! It was early 80s.

IIRC Robin Rae was in goals and he kept telling me he couldnt see a damn thing. I certainly couldnt see the half way from behind his goal. Amazed game went ahead. Hibs were poor back then. Paddy Stanton was manager.

"Amazed game went ahead"

But it wasn't foggy before the KO, and then the haar rolled in from the sea very quickly as I recall.

3-1 to Hibs in replay. First game was cash at turnstiles so no proof available to show you had been there. Therefore bigger crowd at the replay than there had been at the first one!:wink:

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 06:21 PM
"Amazed game went ahead"

But it wasn't foggy before the KO, and then the haar rolled in from the sea very quickly as I recall.

3-1 to Hibs in replay. First game was cash at turnstiles so no proof available to show you had been there. Therefore bigger crowd at the replay than there had been at the first one!:wink:

i think it was fine leading up to KO but when it KO'd it was defo foggy as i distinctly remember Robin Rae telling me it was crazy starting the game as he put his goalie gear at the goalpost base, taking up position for KO.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 06:28 PM

i checked Pollock's website and thats the "2nd" Willie Irvine. Not the Willie who was prolific for one season. So many get confused by the two.

I dont think WI (the first) is in the game anymore.

where art thou?

tamig
28-08-2010, 06:33 PM

I met him not that many years later (3 or 4 at the most) and he was working behind the bar in a pub in Rose Street.

Jeez, I forgot about that. Can't remember the boozer's name but do recall being served by Willie a few times in a Rose Street pub. Like you, i was never very sober at these times.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Jeez, I forgot about that. Can't remember the boozer's name but do recall being served by Willie a few times in a Rose Street pub. Like you, i was never very sober at these times.

wasnt Olivers was it?

Peevemor
28-08-2010, 07:45 PM
wasnt Olivers was it?

I think he had the wee place that later became Filthy McNasties. I could be wrong though.

FranckSuzy
28-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I think he had the wee place that later became Filthy McNasties. I could be wrong though.

:agree: Used to be called the Castle Tavern in the day I frequented it. I knew the couple that took over from WI. John thingimy, ex Dunfermline player, ginger hair, you know the one (:greengrin) used to drink there with Norrie McCathie (RIP).

Peevemor
28-08-2010, 08:38 PM
:agree: Used to be called the Castle Tavern in the day I frequented it. I knew the couple that took over from WI. John thingimy, ex Dunfermline player, ginger hair, you know the one (:greengrin) used to drink there with Norrie McCathie (RIP).

The Rose Street pub might have been called the "Blythe Spirit" when Willie Irvine had it. :dunno:

John Watson and Norrie McCathie had the East Port in Dunfermline. I can't remember much about some of the nights I had in there with them. :drunk:

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2010, 08:52 PM
The Rose Street pub might have been called the "Blythe Spirit" when Willie Irvine had it. :dunno:

John Watson and Norrie McCathie had the East Port in Dunfermline. I can't remember much about some of the nights I had in there with them. :drunk:

christ, i remember the Blythe Spirit, thats going back in time!

so does anyone know what Willie Irvine (Mk1) is doing now?

FranckSuzy
28-08-2010, 09:22 PM

That's the one :agree: John Watson, aye that's him. Thank you, that was annoying me.

Steve-O
28-08-2010, 10:54 PM
If my memory serves me well i think I went straight from ER to the Playhouse for Iron Maiden
:rockin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Slavery_Tour

Memory serves you WRONG if Wikipedia is to be believed :greengrin

edit - they did play the Playhouse in March 82 though - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_on_the_Road

NGH
28-08-2010, 11:28 PM
If I remember correctly Willie Irvine was paired with Bobby Thomson and the goals flowed. When Thomson was banned for 6 months ( I think) for pushing a linesman the goals dried up.

Hiber-nation
28-08-2010, 11:34 PM
If I remember correctly Willie Irvine was paired with Bobby Thomson and the goals flowed. When Thomson was banned for 6 months ( I think) for pushing a linesman the goals dried up.

That was at home to St Johnstone, think we were 4-0 up at the time!

Thommo was mental.

delbert
29-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Remember a couple of those games, the foggy game with Motherwell was actually at 1-1 when it was abadoned after about 14 mins, what I do remember is that our supporters bus from Bonnyrigg & Dalkeith club had gone off to another hire and we all stood freezing our b*llocks off till just after 9pm when it came back for us, we did win the replayed game 1-0. The St Johnstone game finished 4-1, and yes Bobby Thomson was a basket case. Arthur Duncan was lying injured near our goal line, linesman missed him, and when through ball gets played linesman raised his flag against St Johnstone player. Ref points to Duncan and waves linesman down, St Johnstone player goes though and scores, cue mayhem, with Thomson barging linesman off running area and onto trck right in front of dugouts. Was sitting with Gordon Rae that day who was injured, and he said, lets see what kind of ref we have today, I just said listen, he's coming up here beside us, and will be up here for a long time. However lets put it all in perspective, the ref was Louis Thow, although to be fair, he was actually correct that day in allowing play to continue, was funny as hell though.

Same thing actually happened for us in a Scottish Cup replay at Firhill, almost identical situation Thistle player lying in six yard box, but rest of Thistle defence moved way out, Ally Macleod reads the script and saunters onto the penalty spot, ball in, linesman kept flag down, but ref 9an utter bombscare called Drew McFaull) quite clearly blew and gave offside, signalling his decision immediately by raising his arm for indirect free kick. The Thistle keeper didnt even move and somply allowed Macleod to pass the ball into the net, well after the whistle had gone. Hibs then go nuts, 10 players round ref, chase him down to linesman, confab, and to everyones amazement, goal awarded, even though the game had quite clearly been stopped before Macleod stuck it in the net. The only correct decision which could have been given was a drop ball, now Thistle players go nuts, but after about 3 or 4 mins goal stood. Being Hibs they could'nt finish it off and Jim Melrose got a late winner for Thistle, but still one of the most bizarre refereeing decisions I've ever seen, and it happened FOR us, and in GLAGGOW, with a GLASGOW ref in charge, although McFaull's career effectively ended that night - Ah Happy Days.

wpj
29-08-2010, 09:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Slavery_Tour

Memory serves you WRONG if Wikipedia is to be believed :greengrin

edit - they did play the Playhouse in March 82 though - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_on_the_Road

Yet again! Found this quite interesting site though http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page21.htm