PDA

View Full Version : Should Hibs raid the non leagues to uncover a gem?

steviecarnie
27-08-2010, 08:56 AM
is it now time we raid the non leagues both up here and down south and see what we can get? i know theres not much time left but surely yogi and the team have had an eye on someone. (or am i dreaming?)

cockneymike
27-08-2010, 09:02 AM
is it now time we raid the non leagues both up here and down south and see what we can get? i know theres not much time left but surely yogi and the team have had an eye on someone. (or am i dreaming?)

What like Clayton Donaldson? :confused:

sambajustice
27-08-2010, 09:03 AM

No!

Hibs raided the first division once before and ended up in the first division!

Celtc and Rangers raid Hibs, Dundee United and Hearts and are no better now than these 3 teams were a few years ago.

marinello59
27-08-2010, 09:06 AM

If there was an obvious gem there just waiting to be signed don't you think they would already be inundated with offers?

Antifa Hibs
27-08-2010, 09:12 AM
There are 'gems' out there, but its a gamble. It is a gamble that can pay off though, i.e, Danny Swanson.

cockneymike
27-08-2010, 09:16 AM
There are 'gems' out there, but its a gamble. It is a gamble that can pay off though, i.e, Danny Swanson.

But Utd signed him from Berwick, not non-league, although I do agree that there will be good players at that level that make the step up late.

Rob Jones, and Yogi himself are other examples. Although I'd say they're the exception rather than the rule.

snooky
27-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Putting it that way, we're just a part of the food chain, i.e. we're the next level down from the OF. Unfortunately, the reality is that this IS the reality.
:boo hoo:

Skanko79
27-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Adam Le Fondre from Rotherham bangs them in.

EskbankHibby
27-08-2010, 09:31 AM
If Hibs sell Bamba and Stokes and replace the with 2 boys from Vale of Leithen i think i will give hibs net a miss for a few weeks.:greengrin

Gettin' Auld
27-08-2010, 09:34 AM
It worked with wee Ivan. :greengrin

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I watch non-league every week (in fact, going to a game tonight that will be my fourth in five days) and there are some quality players just waiting to be given a chance somewhere.

jdships
27-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I watch non-league every week (in fact, going to a game tonight that will be my fourth in five days) and there are some quality players just waiting to be given a chance somewhere.

Think you are correct :thumbsup:
I am friends with three Scot's who "ply their trade" in English non league football and according to them quite a few SPL clubs , in the last two years at least , have approached players from that grade .
The stumbling block is the moving to Scotland to live !
I remember speaking to Jones when he first came and he was very aprehensive about living here but him and his wife ended up loving Edinburgh. :greengrin

basehibby
27-08-2010, 10:32 AM

There's no guarantees but I would think it's always worth keeping an ear to the ground - you'd have to look harder but when you found someone good the costs would be a lot less and potential profits much greater.

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 10:53 AM
The stumbling block is the moving to Scotland to live !
I remember speaking to Jones when he first came and he was very aprehensive about living here but him and his wife ended up loving Edinburgh. :greengrin

With that in mind, I think Hibs have a big advantage in terms of the chance of moving to Edinburgh, not to mention the training ground etc.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Doesn't matter where the player is playing does it? Street Mirren found Andy Dorman somewhere in the US and he was more than good enough. Didn't that Chris Smalling bloke, make the jump from non-league to Fulham to Man U in less than 20 games?

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Didn't that Chris Smalling bloke, make the jump from non-league to Fulham to Man U in less than 20 games?

Certainly did. One of our very own at Leigh, Steve Jones, made the jump from non-league to playing for Northern Ireland within a year or two and is now banging them in for Walsall.

hibeeleicester
27-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Funny this, I watch non-league every week(AFC Wimbledon) and thought that their danny kedwell and andre blackman were good enough for hibs, so i sent off an email tot hem about these players. And heres the response i got......

Hi Lewis,

Thank you for taking the time to email. Kedwell is a player we know of and is regarded as one of the better strikers in the English non-league - but the consensus is that he lacks enough pace to play at a higher level. I recently read in the Non-League Paper that free-spending Crawley Town had an offer rejected for him (they've spent more than every SPL Club outside the Old Firm this summer!). As an aside, if you have an interest in the lower leagues the Non-League Paper is a weekly newspaper covering the non-league scene in England that is published every Sunday. It's a comprehensive read each week and is widely available throughout England.

The youtube video shows him in very good light but at 27 I cannot see him moving on to a higher level. We regularly watch the Blue Square leagues and regard the non-league as a good market for younger players who typically develop later - mainly as they get the opportunity to play matches. That is not to say we do not consider older players.

Andre Blackman is not a player I know but I can make some enquiries to people I know who will have seen him play and worked with him. I will make some enquiries after the transfer window closes to see if it is something we would wish to pursue for January or next summer - its too late for this window given we do not know him.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in contact. If there are any other players you deem suitable when watching AFC Wimbeldon of a weekend please do not hesistate to get in contact with me. I hope you manage to drag the family up to Easter Road a few times each season!

Best regards,

David Woodison | Scouting Coordinator

The Hibernian Football Club Limited

Hibernian Training Centre

East Mains, Ormiston, Tranent, East Lothian, EH35 5NG

Good to see that the club do scout these leagues in very good detail. :agree:

We have a fantastic scouting team but if anyone knows someone who could maybe make the grade then pop an email to hibs :agree:

Peevemor
27-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Funny this, I watch non-league every week(AFC Wimbledon) and thought that their danny kedwell and andre blackman were good enough for hibs, so i sent off an email tot hem about these players. And heres the response i got......

Good to see that the club do scout these leagues in very good detail. :agree:

We have a fantastic scouting team but if anyone knows someone who could maybe make the grade then pop an email to hibs :agree:

:aok: Thanks for that.

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Great reply, that!

As an side, the NLP is a damn fine paper with some damn fine reports :cool2: :wink:

hibeeleicester
27-08-2010, 11:47 AM
:agree:

We get it free at the Wimbledon games.:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 11:57 AM
That's some deal, that - I don't even get it for free and I write for the bloody thing! :greengrin

allezsauzee
27-08-2010, 11:59 AM
How about we raid the Slovenian league given the footballing lesson we got from Maribor?

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 12:00 PM
How about we raid the Slovenian league given the footballing lesson we got from Maribor?

Many a true word spoken in jest.

The_Todd
27-08-2010, 12:03 PM
What like Clayton Donaldson? :confused:

Clayts was never given a fair crack of the whip IMO, he seems to be doing fairly well at Crewe - scoring a fair few goals for a team struggling at the wrong end of the table.

down-the-slope
27-08-2010, 12:17 PM
what about the Homless bloke Bebe in Portugal..playing non -league homeless team matches. to 3 div to 1st div portugal... to Man U in less than 18 months :agree:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/7940579/Bebe-who-is-Manchester-Uniteds-latest-forward-signing-from-Portugal.html

J-C
27-08-2010, 12:21 PM
If we are going to raid a league then lets look abraod at Slovenia/ Slovakia etc, Maribor gave us a good beating, so lets see what we can pick up in these places, other teams seem to be able to do it.

sahib
27-08-2010, 01:33 PM
If Hibs sell Bamba and Stokes and replace the with 2 boys from Vale of Leithen i think i will give hibs net a miss for a few weeks.:greengrin

This board comes into it's own at such times. Really entertaining and no matter how bad you feel about events and results, there is always some poor sod hurting worse.

The Tubs
27-08-2010, 01:46 PM
what about the Homless bloke Bebe in Portugal..playing non -league homeless team matches. to 3 div to 1st div portugal... to Man U in less than 18 months :agree:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/7940579/Bebe-who-is-Manchester-Uniteds-latest-forward-signing-from-Portugal.html

He played for one of my local sides, Estrela Amadora. If I knew a bloody thing about fitba', I'd maybe start scouting their games for Hibs.

One thing I can say is that even at a game in the local park the boys can control the ball a lot better than most Scottish professionals.

hibee92
27-08-2010, 02:22 PM
definatley :agree: just look at charlie austin at swindon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Austin

Thatcham Town 59 games, 73 goals
Kintbury Rangers 27 games, 20 goals
Hungerford Town 30 games 5 goals
Poole Town 42 games, 48 goals

scored 21 goals in 36 games in league 1 last season and millwall are apparently after him

easty
27-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Clayts was never given a fair crack of the whip IMO, he seems to be doing fairly well at Crewe - scoring a fair few goals for a team struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Nah, he was woeful. He's playing to his standard in League 2.

blairwallace
27-08-2010, 03:30 PM
wait, what position of players are we all talking about?:confused:
i would't take a striker from a low league but a goal keeper i'd take?

The_Todd
27-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Nah, he was woeful. He's playing to his standard in League 2.

He had a grand total of 21 games with us with a return of 8 goals. Not terrible, and I still would like to have seen how he could have contributed with an extended run in the team, without injuries and suspensions getting in the way. He was never really given a chance.