PDA

View Full Version : Maribor go down fighting..

basehibby
27-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Maribor managed to beat Palermo 3-2 tonight - they still go out having lost 3-0 away - how do folk think this reflects on Hibs' displays in the last round? Still utter gash or not so bad all considered?

MWHIBBIES
27-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Not that bad as palermo finished 5th in seria A i think and maribor are obviously a good side if they can beat them.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Not that bad as palermo finished 5th in seria A i think and maribor are obviously a good side if they can beat them.

The tie was over though after they pumped them 3-0 in the 1st Leg. Has the Italian league started yet or are they still pre-season?

Prawn Sandwich
27-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Yep, they were a good side and could have beaten the Old Firm, particularly when Celtic go out to a side like Utrect.

marinello59
27-08-2010, 06:35 AM
The tie was over though after they pumped them 3-0 in the 1st Leg. Has the Italian league started yet or are they still pre-season?

Like the Celtic tie was over after they beat Utrecht 2-0?

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Like the Celtic tie was over after they beat Utrecht 2-0?

Similar but with one more goal.

Don Giovanni
27-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Like our tie was over after getting pumped 3 - 0 away and they came over and still performed at Easter Road?

Point is, after the first leg they could have came across, played some reserves and probably still waltz through. They were much better than us over both legs. Maribor are a very decent side and they done a very professional job on us.

As for Palermo, anyone finishing 5th in the Serie A will be a good team.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Like our tie was over after getting pumped 3 - 0 away and they came over and still performed at Easter Road?

Our tie was over at 3-0.

I don't see the point in talking them up just to make ourselves feel better - they beat us comfortably then got emptied quite comfortably.

marinello59
27-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Our tie was over at 3-0.

I don't see the point in talking them up just to make ourselves feel better - they beat us comfortably then got emptied quite comfortably.

Are we like the Old Firm then? They are never, ever beaten by the better team. Perhaps we should stop complaining when other teams don't get any credit for turning over one of the weegie teams.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Are we like the Old Firm then? They are never, ever beaten by the better team. Perhaps we should stop complaining when other teams don't get any credit for turning over one of the weegie teams.

Obviously they were the better team. I just don't think they were as good as was being said on here - the they'd win the Spl stuff and that. All that stuff was said just to comfort ourselves IMO.

marinello59
27-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Obviously they were the better team. I just don't think they were as good as was being said on here - the they'd win the Spl stuff and that. All that stuff was said just to comfort ourselves IMO.

When you follow Hibs you need all the comfort you can get.:boo hoo:

bighairyfaeleith
27-08-2010, 07:21 AM
When you follow Hibs you need all the comfort you can get.:boo hoo:
Is your shiny new seat in the east no comfy enough now?

****ing hibbys, never ****ing happy:grr:

500miles
28-08-2010, 09:17 AM
The Hibs that played the opening hour against Rangers would have humped the Hibs that played against Maribor 3-0 too.

Maribor are not an exceptional team, they are a decent team, probably on something like a par with us, but who were totally match fit, whereas we were lagging. We should have been more ready, or perhaps, considering how some other SPL teams done, the SFA/SPL should reconsider when the league starts and ends in relation to European competition.

Look at the goals we lost - clumsyness, like we were still not used to having the ball at our feet. Individual slips, poor communication between players that haven't been in a competative situation for a while. Look at Bamba lose his man for the first goal in the home leg - would he have done that had he been totally switched on to competative football? I don't believe so.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2010, 09:33 AM
IMHO I think they were much better than us, to say they are on a par with us is v harsh on them.

Gettin' Auld
28-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I know it's not a good comparison, but aren't Palermo in pre-season too?

500miles
28-08-2010, 09:55 AM
IMHO I think they were much better than us, to say they are on a par with us is v harsh on them.

Listen, they will be just like us, some exceptional players, and some players that get it in the neck from fans.

Is Taveres much better than Derek Riordan? Is Anthony Stokes not a better goalscorer than Voles? What about former Manchester United player and ROI internationalist Liam Miller? Or Sol Bamba who is competing for first choice Centre Half for Ivory Coast? Wotherspoon is a fantastic talent. We give our keepers a hard time, but theirs looked pretty shaky to me - it's a shame we didn't test him more, as he was certainly no better than our own.

There is not one player in the Maribor team rated as a million pound player on transfermarkt.de. Now I'm not going to read too much into it, but that is another bit of an indication that they don't have the reputation that we are giving them. It's easy to look slick and polished against a team that are clumsy and slow.

Aye, we have some regular players who fall short of that Euro quality, but they probably do as well - sadly we made them look better than they were because we didn't have the sharpness to close down quickly. We were taking that half second more to think about things that in a months time players stop thinking about and just do naturally. Look how much we improved over the space of a week against them - we DID play a helluva lot better, but not to our full potential.

All this, and I'm not a negative poster. I reckon they have a few players that woud improve our team - but by the same token, we have a few that would improve thier team, perhaps even over some of the ones we believe are thier best, and a few that aren't too popular here who would do well for them. Hibs have a good team, and so do Maribor. However, had they not had the headstart of competative football, then we may well have overcome them. They are certainly no Dinaburg, but I don't think that they are a Dnipro either.

500miles
28-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I know it's not a good comparison, but aren't Palermo in pre-season too?

Palermo ARE a team who are a level above and beyond ourselves and Maribor.

ekhibee
28-08-2010, 01:41 PM
It's very hard to draw too many conclusions about how good Maribor are really, because I think the standard of Scottish football in general is piss poor. True, they did beat Palermo when the tie to all intensive purposes was over. Hughes' team selection in the first leg was all wrong IMO, and that certainly didn't help, but regardless of how poor we are in European terms, and we are, we still might well finish in the top 6 in our own league, and maybe even get 3rd or 4th. That just about sums up how poor not only Hibs are, but Scottish football in general. That sounds bleak, but to me too many clubs in the SPL don't learn from their mistakes, whether it's financial or from the players they bring in that just simply aren't up to the grade. Coaching is so important as well in this respect. IMO Hibs have the best training facilities in Scotland, if ANY Scottish team was going to be prepared for a European tie before their own season had started Hibs were, but we simply weren't good enough, and again I see that as an enditement on the standard of Scottish football, and the mentality of the powers that be within that framework. Just my opinion of course.

Hainan Hibs
28-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Maribor were a decent team and technically superior to Hibs, but the way they are talked up to be European giants is cringe worthy to say the least.

marinello59
28-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Maribor were a decent team and technically superior to Hibs, but the way they are talked up to be European giants is cringe worthy to say the least.

I have seen several posters making the same point as you do in your first statement. Who has talked them up to be European giants?:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2010, 10:04 PM
two Maribor players have been signed by Palermo.....

Woody1985
28-08-2010, 10:28 PM
two Maribor players have been signed by Palermo.....

Link?

Sir David Gray
28-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Link?

They've signed Josip Ilicic and Armin Bacinovic.

Confirmed HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Citt%C3%A0_di_Palermo_season_2010%E2%80%9311# Confirmed_summer_transfer_market_bids).

fife hfc
28-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Palermo obviously thought they were **** then and made them feel better by buying a couple of their players. Maribor had thier gk sent off in the first leg and lost the first goal from the resulting penalty so these things can have a big effect.

500miles
28-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Palermo obviously thought they were **** then and made them feel better by buying a couple of their players. Maribor had thier gk sent off in the first leg and lost the first goal from the resulting penalty so these things can have a big effect.

Maribor are well into thier season, and Serie A just kicked off today. And they still got pumped 3-0 in thier first leg, Palermo's first competative game. I am not saying that Maribor are a poor team, for I do not believe we are either, but they aren't as good as we are making them out to be.

fife hfc
28-08-2010, 11:14 PM
To me they looked a far better team than the huns and certainly do believe that they could beat bothe halves of the old firm. by the way if they are on our level what players could we sell to a top five Italian club?

iwasthere1972
28-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Maribor are well into thier season, and Serie A just kicked off today. And they still got pumped 3-0 in thier first leg, Palermo's first competative game. I am not saying that Maribor are a poor team, for I do not believe we are either, but they aren't as good as we are making them out to be.

:agree: We made them look better than they are and to be perfectly honest the tie was probably over after our disastrous performance in Slovenia. A better result in the away tie and I reckon we would have beat them in the second leg. The players knew if we lost just the one goal at Easter Road then we would have to score 5. Results in a cautious and nervy start and the performance suffered because of this. They were the better team over the two legs but things may have been a whole lot different if we had played even a handful of competitive SPL matches. I don't need to remind folk that Ross County knocked us out the Scottish Cup but I don't hear anyone saying they are a better team than us.

Maribor play in a worse league than us and only attract an average crowd of about 1,000 playing against teams which are more than likely the equivalent of our 1st or 2nd division. So they've obviously upped their game when they heard they were playing the mighty Hibees. Whereas we were no doubt saying WHO and we found out who the hard way.

500miles
28-08-2010, 11:55 PM
To me they looked a far better team than the huns and certainly do believe that they could beat bothe halves of the old firm. by the way if they are on our level what players could we sell to a top five Italian club?

Stokes? Bamba? Who knows, maybe Miller?

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Listen, as the saying seems to go, Ive got no wish for Maribor to be seen as better than us, but, there is some patronising pish on this thread. You are allowed to be a Hibby and criticise them too. 500 miles - which top 5 italian club would fancy any of those 3?

fife hfc
29-08-2010, 12:03 AM
:agree: We made them look better than they are and to be perfectly honest the tie was probably over after our disastrous performance in Slovenia. A better result in the away tie and I reckon we would have beat them in the second leg. The players knew if we lost just the one goal at Easter Road then we would have to score 5. Results in a cautious and nervy start and the performance suffered because of this. They were the better team over the two legs but things may have been a whole lot different if we had played even a handful of competitive SPL matches. I don't need to remind folk that Ross County knocked us out the Scottish Cup but I don't hear anyone saying they are a better team than us.

Maribor play in a worse league than us and only attract an average crowd of about 1,000 playing against teams which are more than likely the equivalent of our 1st or 2nd division. So they've obviously upped their game when they heard they were playing the mighty Hibees. Whereas we were no doubt saying WHO and we found out who the hard way.

Sorry what a load of ****. they were miles ahead of us technically and after a few games we may have been able to put up more of a fight and better organised but for skill, movement and doind this as a unit is far better than anything we will face in the Spl this season. the huns are certainly not as technically gifted and as slick as maribor, but have a solid foundation and fighting spirit that make them better than most in the Spl. Just look at results for Spl clubs this week and how the huns were humbled by the inferior romanian team and it shows that scottish football is well behind these so called smaller teams in every respect.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Stokes? Bamba? Who knows, maybe Miller?

Dont think there is any chance these guys could play for a top 5 team in Italy. I do think that Maribor are a good side, they have sold a couple of players that did not even appear to be their better ones over the two legs, so who knows where they could go. I am not talking them up, equally I dont know why in Scotland we seem to think we should have a better standard of football, small population and no real money coming into the game. In summing up we shot ourselves in the foot in the first leg and then should not have conceeded at home - the game just came too early for us I think.

Don Giovanni
29-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Maribor were much sharper than us in both games but lets not kid ourselves - they were technically and tactically superior as well.

Tavares movement, hold up/link up play was better than anything iv probably witnessed from a Hibs player at Easter Rd. Sorry to say it but he looked a more complete player than Deek, Stokes, Garry O or pretty much any other forward iv seen pull on the green & white in the past 20 years. Like Vasillas Tsartas (sp.) coming on for AEK against us at ER and spraying the ball around with ease, he looked a cut above our level. He could do the dirty work too, running the channels with the minimum of fuss, as well as pick a pass and find the back of the net.

Fair to say Illicic looked a handy operator as well and if he has indeed got a move to the Serie A then I think thats all that needs said about the quality of his performances...

The way Maribor seemed able to move the ball quickly and accurately to pull us apart (how many times did they isolate one defender - particularly Murray) suggests that it was more than just the fitness department that they were better. So, whilst I agree Maribor aint world beaters if they played in the SPL Id fancy then to finish at least third - they may even challenge the old firm.

Still, I dont want to be too down-beat on Hibs though, because until the first goal I thought we were better than the Huns and the first goal, along with some criminal officiating, changed the game.

Roll on 14:15!(what a ridiculous time!)

GGTTH

iwasthere1972
29-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry what a load of ****. they were miles ahead of us technically and after a few games we may have been able to put up more of a fight and better organised but for skill, movement and doind this as a unit is far better than anything we will face in the Spl this season. the huns are certainly not as technically gifted and as slick as maribor, but have a solid foundation and fighting spirit that make them better than most in the Spl. Just look at results for Spl clubs this week and how the huns were humbled by the inferior romanian team and it shows that scottish football is well behind these so called smaller teams in every respect.

What after 180 minutes of seeing Maribor you can confidently say that they are better than any team in the SPL? You're making them sound like Arsenal or Chelsea. I'd just like to know if they are consistently as good as you think they are then why haven't I heard of them before. I was at Easter Road and agree that they were by far the better team but do they do that week in week out? I have my doubts.

Well they're out the Europa League now so we'll never know just how good (or bad) they really are.