PDA

View Full Version : Media Martin Bain

suavegav
26-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Hello fellow hibbies,

Did anyone out there happen to read the article in The Sun today, an interview with the rangers chairman Martin Bain regarding the collapse of scotland co-efficiant in europe.
Now i dont normally read The Sun, but i was in a cafe for brekkie and picked it up for a quick glance, as i know it is a piece of S...e!

Anyway, Martin Bain is claiming that the government must take action to improve the state of scottish culture as this is to blame for the fact from next season, Scottish league winners will have to play 3 qualifying games to get into the champions league, which basically hes talking about the bigot bros. ( What a fu....g shame ).
He states that if we ( scotland) dont have a team in the champions league how this would affect the scottish economy as our clubs ( bigot bros ) will no longer receive TV money and also due to the lack of visiting fans to our country ( Glasgow ).
Martin Bain wants the government to step in and help.

What a joke IMHO. His club are in deep sh.t and he wants help from the state to keep them where they are. What a 24 carrot plonker, and thats putting it mildly.:grr:

poolman
26-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Hello fellow hibbies,

Did anyone out there happen to read the article in The Sun today, an interview with the rangers chairman Martin Bain regarding the collapse of scotland co-efficiant in europe.
Now i dont normally read The Sun, but i was in a cafe for brekkie and picked it up for a quick glance, as i know it is a piece of S...e!

Anyway, Martin Bain is claiming that the government must take action to improve the state of scottish culture as this is to blame for the fact from next season, Scottish league winners will have to play 3 qualifying games to get into the champions league, which basically hes talking about the bigot bros. ( What a fu....g shame ).
He states that if we ( scotland) dont have a team in the champions league how this would affect the scottish economy as our clubs ( bigot bros ) will no longer receive TV money and also due to the lack of visiting fans to our country ( Glasgow ).

What a joke IMHO. His club are in deep sh.t and he wants help from the state to keep them where they are. What a 24 carrot plonker, and thats putting it mildly.:grr:

It's what you do when your a Weegie club

I mean whats wrong in spending £12m on a dud (Tore Andre Flop) and once your in the brown stuff, lets not do what Hibs have done and got out of debt with a strict fiscal policy but lets blame it on the Scottish Parliament so they can bale us out

Absolute vile club :agree:

mikey987654321
26-08-2010, 04:13 PM
'RANGERS chief Martin Bain fears Scottish football faces a grim future if this is the last Champions League campaign for an SPL club'

sorry how many clubs have benefitted from 15 million pounds a season champions league money in the last 10 years??? there are only 2 i can think of!!! the same 2 teams that have been destroying scottish football for decades! but now we are all supposed to feel bad for rangers and expect the Government to bail them out??!!!?

****** off and die in peace you horrible club!

Moody Mulder
26-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Hello fellow hibbies,

hope you sterilised your hands after reading that filth newspaper

greenlex
26-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Whilst they can **** right off with any help to say other scottish clubs have not benifited is wrong. Hibs have probably had more benefit than most. Millions in transfer fees that IMO would not have been paid had the Old Firm not been in CL action and recieving the millions from it.

IWasThere2016
26-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Bain's a balloon. FACT.

magpie1892
26-08-2010, 08:44 PM
hope you sterilised your hands after reading that filth newspaper

The Sun is an excellent newspaper, regardless of the fact that you don't like it.

Circulations don't lie.

Back to the main point, however. With rangers, it is always, always someone else's fault. This has been evident for decades now.

Scottish football would not suffer from the removal of the repellent twins. But no-one else will have them.

magpie1892
26-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Whilst they can **** right off with any help to say other scottish clubs have not benifited is wrong. Hibs have probably had more benefit than most. Millions in transfer fees that IMO would not have been paid had the Old Firm not been in CL action and recieving the millions from it.

Rubbish. Hibs can only sell to the OF? Championship clubs have more money. European clubs have more money. Anderlecht could buy any player in Scotland if they wanted to, if they didn't already have a conveyer belt of lowland players not quite good enough for the Eredivisie and Africans looking for a step up.

Newcastle offered GBP8m for Scott Brown the day before he signed for the Declans. Newcastle PAID GBP8m for Boumsong...

sahib
26-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Rubbish. Hibs can only sell to the OF? Championship clubs have more money. European clubs have more money. Anderlecht could buy any player in Scotland if they wanted to, if they didn't already have a conveyer belt of lowland players not quite good enough for the Eredivisie and Africans looking for a step up.

Newcastle offered GBP8m for Scott Brown the day before he signed for the Declans. Newcastle PAID GBP8m for Boumsong...

Why did the silly sod not sign then? When this is double the figure oft quoted on here.

magpie1892
26-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Why did the silly sod not sign then? When this is double the figure oft quoted on here.

Because he wanted to sign for the Declans?

Just a guess, like.

snooky
26-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Sorry GL, have to call you on that one. Maybe in the eyes of a financier Hibs have benefitted but in the eyes of a Hibs fan (i.e. mine) selling your best player to a rival is the equivalent of giving up your bullets to a duelling opponent.

sahib
26-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Because he wanted to sign for the Declans?

Just a guess, like.

My guess would be that the story is ballox.

greenlex
27-08-2010, 01:03 AM
The fact is hibs have done well from the old firm in regards transfer fees rightly or wrongly. We gave IMO gained from the gruesome twosomes stints in Europe.
If they were not playing CL over the years they wouldn't have as much money.
As I said rightly or wrongly we have seen some of it in transfers.
I only posted as someone said no one has benifitted from them being in Europe other than themselves and that is plainly not the case.

MrHibs1982
27-08-2010, 04:27 AM
As much as it saddens me to hear those in the west greeting because they will have to play some more qualifying games and therefor might no get a £15m treasure chest :greengrin Does the co-efficients not affect us too, will it not mean teams playing in the Europa cup will have to play more games too??? I dont know enough about the whole situation but just wondering if we will have to play 2 or 3 teams to qualify for next years Europa league :confused:

Beefster
27-08-2010, 06:35 AM

No they didn't.

magpie1892
27-08-2010, 07:21 AM
My guess would be that the story is ballox.

Oh. That's a shame.

magpie1892
27-08-2010, 07:22 AM
No they didn't.

Yes, they did.

DCI Gene Hunt
27-08-2010, 07:31 AM
What's Bain's point??? :confused:

down-the-slope
27-08-2010, 07:39 AM
What's Bain's point??? :confused:

Without CL cash the OF's business model is Donald Ducked.....spare some change Gov :aok:

PeeKay
27-08-2010, 07:59 AM
The Government are already bailing out the Huns. They have a huge debt that is held by Lloyds-TSB - and the Government owns 41% of that bank. By letting them throw money about in this transfer window it is obvious that the bank is not working in the best interests of its shareholders and should be called to account! :wink:

DCI Gene Hunt
27-08-2010, 08:23 AM
So, without any Government help the OF can't go any further into unsustainable debt, and so they will continue their slide into glorious pishness.

And why should the Government be the slightest bit interested in this?

Everyone wants bail-outs from the state these days. There are far bigger problems for the Government to deal with than keeping some greedy, bigoted, pish Weegie football team happy. :rolleyes:

Guv

big-mo
27-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Last nights results will affect Scotland co-efficient and will mean that we will only have one team entering the CL and most likely only have three teams entering the prequalifying for the Europa.
So whose fault is it? everyone in Scottish football.
What will it mean for the future of Scottish football? For one thing, one of the OF will have a huge hole in the balance sheet, this will hopefully bring them closer in line with the rest of the clubs in the SPL. What do each of the clubs in the SPL consider as success? Only one of two clubs will every win the league, in the foreseeable future anyway. So the next thing is to get a place in Europe, but if that only amounts to one home game before they get humped out, is it worth it? (Would Hibs have seen more Europa football if we had finish 5th rather than 4th last season?)
All that is left is a good cup run which is possible for nearly every club.

If the OF are brought down to the level of other SPL clubs, do you thing that their battalions of fans would turn up week in week out? I doubt it, you only have to look at Parkhead at the end of last season.

As for TV money, it only accounts for 10% on most clubs income and regardless of the CL or Europa Cup, there is still a demand for Scottish football on the tele so that is most likely to stay the same.

So over all, sod the OF, they deserve all they get. The government should not show any support to the top flight football, if it can not stand on it’s own two feet, they should go to the wall. However we do need help at grassroots because if we have a strong grassroots it will trickle up. Not a short term solution however.

The_Todd
27-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Bain is, always has been and always will be a vile cretin. He doesn't care about Scotland's co-efficient, he doesn't care about the health of Scottish football and he doesn't care too much for anyone else's opinion.

The reason he's greeting is because the guaranteed Old Firm stich up where Celtc and Rangers get their easy route into the Champions League has now vanished.

On another note, I think the whole Champions League setup is now farcical. It should be the league champions of each UEFA nation qualifiying for the group stages - unseeded it should be luck of the draw, runners up to the UEFA Cup and bring back the Cup-Winners Cup. Until we all started getting greedy that was just fine.

The Silver Fox
27-08-2010, 07:57 PM
How can Rangers in their finacial position be allowed by Lloyds to spend £4m on a player, the boy JELAVICH?

It would appear they are reluctant to give Kenny Miller a decent improved deal but have money for this, doesn't make sense to me.

Hainan Hibs
27-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Brilliant business model. Spend millions on utter *****, fail to balance the books, continue spending, and then when it all goes up the creek and you're left without a paddle call for the government to sort itself out.

Bain should concentrate on sorting out the utter shambles Rangers now find themselves in.

Hank Schrader
27-08-2010, 08:10 PM
The Sun is an excellent newspaper, regardless of the fact that you don't like it.

Circulations don't lie.

Back to the main point, however. With rangers, it is always, always someone else's fault. This has been evident for decades now.

Scottish football would not suffer from the removal of the repellent twins. But no-one else will have them.

Sorry, but your opening gambit is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

How a newspaper that celebrated the deaths of scores of Argentinian sailors with the headline "GOTCHA" can be described as excellent is beyond me.

I'll never let a copy of that vile right wing rag pass the front door of my flat.

The_Todd
27-08-2010, 08:20 PM

If barely disguised racism and xenophobia are you're thing I'm sure it's a wonderful "newspaper".

Circulations don't lie.

Not sure where to start with this. I'll let Superhans from Peep Show respond for me:

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people."

This part, I do agree with :wink:

Hainan Hibs
27-08-2010, 08:24 PM
There is also something completely cringe-worthy about their phrase "Our Boys" to describe the army.

lEXO
27-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I must admit i did think WTF when i read his interview.This from a man who,s club has spent a fortune on foreign players over the years.They are still at it, buying the guy from vienna, and selling Thomson and Wilson.Young scottish players, yet he says the government should be sorting our game out.
I tell you who should be sorting it out, the SPL,SFA and SFL.They should be looking at starting our season earlier if they want our teams to have a better chance in the earlier rounds in europe.They should put the long term benefit of our game ahead of short term cash gain.The last tv contract they signed was a shambles, not for the first time.Collectively the clubs and the SFA are responsible for the state of our game.
We are watching a poor standard of football, yet still paying high prices.Crowds are dropping,standards are dropping but prices still climb.Football has a cheek if it thinks the government should sort out the mess it,s made for itself.

The_Todd
27-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Football has a cheek if it thinks the government should sort out the mess it,s made for itself.

Absolutely. Public spending is streched enough at the moment without having to factor in a sport which has swallowed itself up with it's own greed. No greater example than Rangers.

Hibs On Tour
27-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Circulations don't lie.

Its a heap of ***** and circulations prove nothing more than people are sheep. Are you telling me that lowest common denominator drivel = quality? Just because something is popular doesn't make it quality.

No football fan should go near that rag after its lies in the aftermath of Hillsborough! :grr:

Hibs On Tour
27-08-2010, 09:19 PM

No, they didn't. Think about it - they accepted an offer from Celtic of 4 [or was it 4.5, can't recall] million from Celtic. They're gonna turn down an offer of £8m from Newcastle? Hardly. And if they accept it, they're not gonna tell Scott Brown about it? Because he never heard about any bid from Newcastle.

The ONLY other bid received that was accepted was from Reading and that was late evening of the night Scott Brown was signing for Celtic. He got the call to tell him Hibs had accepted the bid and he was free to talk to Reading as he pulled into Darkheid's car park. Source? Scott Brown to me personally face-to-face - ENDOF :bye:

Hiber-nation
27-08-2010, 09:42 PM
The Sun stinks.

As does Bain.

Twiglet
27-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRsF0i1adgw&feature=related by chance when I was having a wee look at Hibs goals on you tube.

It's something the Herald put together at the beginning of this year about Scottish youth football, Hibs feature quite a bit, as do Aberdeen.

I read the Bain article after I had watched it and couldn't believe what he was saying.
It just feels like he's putting the frighteners on the SPL/SFA/Scottish Govt to give them money.
A problem Rangers are now facing is that they don't have much money to bring players in (though you'd never believe it looking at the recent transfer goings on). IMO fewer young players are willing to go there now as they are clicking on to the fact that it can stunt their career development, so stay with the "smaller clubs" longer which pushes their prices up when they come of age and Rangers may well find themselves priced out, or simply ignored, and they go down south.
So far we've managed to cope in week to week football, as are other Scottish teams, some of us have good youth development programmes, bringing through the next generation of Scottish players, though they are spread out through teams, not just in 2 teams, or moving down to the EPL/Championship.
I know he's talking about European football, but surely a club like Rangers have a decent youth development in which they reach out to the local community and try to change attitudes and get children interested in football. Don't they?

7Hero
28-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Circulations don't lie.

So what does that mean, cause the majority of folk read it its an excellent paper, hardly an argument ? You could say rangers and celtic are excellent football teams, as attendances dont lie ??
:confused:

aberhibsfc
28-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Hello fellow hibbies,

:top marks

TBH the government probably has a part to play with youth development, health, facilities, however his rant was taking all Rangers problems and dumping them on the government. He doesn't seem to accept his club have any responsibility for their situation. They are a glorified Livi, they pumped money in to win trophies at other teams expense, no they have no money they are reaping what they sowed. Unfortunately the rest of Scottish football is in no state to challenge them, well at least the league campaign.

Smellies the both of them, Hearts too infact. They are the big clubs, they think they are top of the food chain and always should me. Times are a changing, but the wheels are turning slowly. That said, unless we start to man up and knock-back the OF advances for our players we are going to be also rans possibly bagging a cup every 15-20 years or so.

Future17
28-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I haven't read the article, but going on the OP, I think Bain is right.

Whilst his motivations are obviously biased and, as a person, he comes across as some sort of business-thug in a sharp suit, if he is saying that the Government are responsible for improving Scottish culture, which is partly to blame for our poor footballing performance in recent years, then I think he is right.

I think the Government should be motivated by other factors than the ones he has listed, but they are still valid up to a point.

Circulations don't lie.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it good.

The_Todd
28-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I haven't read the article, but going on the OP, I think Bain is right.

Whilst his motivations are obviously biased and, as a person, he comes across as some sort of business-thug in a sharp suit, if he is saying that the Government are responsible for improving Scottish culture, which is partly to blame for our poor footballing performance in recent years, then I think he is right.

Scottish Football and the OF get themselves into a mess and it's the government's responsibility to sort it out?

I'd rather they focused on health, justice and education ta.

Lucius Apuleius
28-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I think the popularity of The Sun is more about the mentality iof its readers. They would rather read about CorriEastEndersEmmerdaleFarmWhatever rather that read about world news events. That, unfortunately is their perogative. Their is a place for both.

WindyMiller
28-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Scottish Football and the OF get themselves into a mess and it's the government's responsibility to sort it out?

I'd rather they focused on health, justice and education ta.

Sport, fitness and diet would be covered by them. No?

The_Todd
28-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Sport, fitness and diet would be covered by them. No?

I don't see how the government bailing out the OF has any real impact on this.

Hibs On Tour
28-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Bain, Rangers and Celtic have never given a rats arse about the Scottish game, culture or anything else to this point. The ONLY reason they're greeting now is because they no longer get automatic entry for the SPL champions to the Champions League proper. Its false, its fake and its frankly embarassing!

If the OF gave a **** about the Scottish game, they wouldn't simply have spent the last 30 years poaching the best Scottish talent from other clubs - not to give these lads their chance in their colours, but far more frequently simply to prevent these lads playing against their own bigger-name players. A couple of generations worth of great Scottish talent then spent a season or two languishing on the OF's benches before being shipped down South after a token few appearances, mostly to then gradually fade down the levels.

Changed in recent times, particularly with the likes of RP having the balls [and more importantly the fiscal situation to allow him] to quote a fair price for our players and stick to it in the knowledge that we didn't have to sell to the OF for their pitiful offerings. Players also are clearly getting the message that playing 1st 11 football for a team challenging is better than bench-time for the OF, even if it is on far more money. Money will come for the best players and it will come at better clubs in better leagues than the SPL.

If anyone is serious about changing our situation for the better its gonna take *everyone* getting their heads out of their ***** and working for the greater good rather than just their own.

Winter shutdown, season ending earlier - can only happen with less games. Less games = less money from gate receipts, advertising and TV money.

More football opportunities at schools, youth and local level - requires investment from local and probably national government level. More community involvement [far far more] from professional clubs too. Gotta make football the leisure choice of the young instead of TV/Xbox/Playstation/etc

Complete restructure of the Scottish game - I started a thread with some very random ideas about this the other day and will try to post a link to it after posting this.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?190646-Random-thoughts-about-improving-leagues-etc...

Lots of reasons why we're ***** - its certainly not the Government's fault alone despite the bold efforts of the OF as Mr Bain would have you believe! Particularly as most of the things that will be required to fix things the OF have either already vetoed against or would do...