PDA

View Full Version : Midfield

Hibs7
25-08-2010, 12:26 PM
With McBride being suspended, why not play Ian Murray in there and leave Hanlon at Left back, Murrays best position in my opinion is Left Midfield. Deeks and Stokes up front again.

essexhibee
25-08-2010, 09:18 PM
In my opinion Murray, although a brilliant servant to the club and a great Hibby, is past it. Think the legs are gone and in recent months its started to show, and therfore wouldnt have him in the midfield. Would go with a flat four of Galbraith, Miller, De Graff, Wotherspoon.

Kevvy1875
25-08-2010, 10:46 PM
In my opinion Murray, although a brilliant servant to the club and a great Hibby, is past it. Think the legs are gone and in recent months its started to show, and therfore wouldnt have him in the midfield. Would go with a flat four of Galbraith, Miller, De Graff, Wotherspoon.

Have to agree with that mate. Murray still has a future at Hibs at CB for me but needs to work on directing his headers as this is one of the CB's main functions. A harder tackler you could not wish for though.

hibee92
25-08-2010, 10:59 PM
i'd like to see murray as a sitting midfielder or the famous "matty jack role." Not a lot of running, just stopping attacks coming through the middle and forcing the ball out wide or back into our possession :agree: IMO of course, not everyone else's

Hibee87
26-08-2010, 05:46 AM
hard one to call this, if Hart never got injured i would have liked to see a flat 4 of wotherspoon, de graff, miller and galbraith but its most likely that galbraith will be pulled to right back.

i think yogi will totally fluck this up and shuffle the pack to his old ways of nish and stokes up front

deek, miller, rankin and de graff making the midfield (assuming deek recovers in time)

and probibly leaving Murray out all to gether maybe a place on the bench. as a side note i woudl love to see stephens getting a start/more game time alongside bamba there both tall athelitc playes who are good on the ball think stephens could learn a lot form bamba.

Green Mikey
26-08-2010, 07:38 AM
i'd like to see murray as a sitting midfielder or the famous "matty jack role." Not a lot of running, just stopping attacks coming through the middle and forcing the ball out wide or back into our possession :agree: IMO of course, not everyone else's

Murray is a great tackler but IMO you can't have a central defensive midfielder without a lot of running. Any fast attacking play will just bypass Murray in the centre of the park due his now chronic lack of pace. His best positions are left back or cente half where he has been playing for a long time now.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2010, 07:40 AM
hard one to call this, if Hart never got injured i would have liked to see a flat 4 of wotherspoon, de graff, miller and galbraith but its most likely that galbraith will be pulled to right back.

i think yogi will totally fluck this up and shuffle the pack to his old ways of nish and stokes up front

deek, miller, rankin and de graff making the midfield (assuming deek recovers in time)

and probibly leaving Murray out all to gether maybe a place on the bench. as a side note i woudl love to see stephens getting a start/more game time alongside bamba there both tall athelitc playes who are good on the ball think stephens could learn a lot form bamba.

No, i cant see that?

Craig_in_Prague
26-08-2010, 07:44 AM
As Hart and McBride are out,
i'd have Wotherspoon at RB, Hanlon at CH in place of Hogg, and Murray LB.
With Galbraith at LM. Not a big Rankin fan at all but think he's worth a slot in beside Miller in place of mcBride.

Wotherspoon..............SOL..................Hanl on.................Murray

Edwin................Miller..................Ranki n....................Galbraith

.....................Ant and Deeks.................................

Hibee87
26-08-2010, 07:45 AM
No, i cant see that?

:faf: what a mong, i meant to say wotherspoon pulled to right back :dizzy:

Brooster
26-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Thicot played at RB against Sunderland yesterday, could be in line to play on Sunday?

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2010, 07:48 AM
:faf: what a mong, i meant to say wotherspoon pulled ot rught back :dizzy:

:agree:

Wotherspoon Bamba Hanlon and Murray as the back 4 De Graff Miller Rankin and Galbraith for the midfield and Stokes and Riordan up front. Thats my prediction for Sunday.

Sandy
26-08-2010, 08:13 AM

:agree: That midfield gets my vote, I think we might see Thicot put in at RB, he played there in the reserve game against Sunderland did he not ?, would be interesting to find out how he played.

Matty_Jack04
26-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Never thought about murray being played there i think its a good shout, with him sighting slightly deeper he'l be able to read the game and adjust his position to make up for his ' chronic' lack of pace maybe worth a try as i feel we need a tackler in there badly

Dr Jimmy
26-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Whilst I think we will miss big Sol at Centre half, this could be the chance for the team to have a shake up and put Sol in as the holding midfielder.

Thicot Hogg Hanlon Murray

Spoony Sol Miller Galbraith

Ant Deeks.

This would give us the width we crave, let Miller get forward, whilst big Sol sits and gives a bit of protection for the defence.

(would prefer either Stephens or Murray at Centre half, but we all know Hogg is there to stay!).

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I was just about to post something along the same lines. Some of Sol's tackling on Sunday was superb. I couldn't help but think that if could win the ball like that a bit further up the pitch, we wouldn't cause ourselves so many problems. Bamba playing in front of the back four is worth a shout

ahibby
26-08-2010, 09:14 AM
We have a couple of options. I like SOL in midfield as he is effective at breaking up oposition attacks. On the other hand he is more prone to getting booked in midfield than he is in defence because he is involved more. Stephens or Hanlon could fit in. Murray will probably go to left back. Hanlon and Stephens on the bench and Rankin brought in for McBride. Wotherspoon at right back. Those are the safest options but maybe not the most adventurous. SOL will stay at CB I think.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2010, 09:27 AM
IM last heard of still chasing that Maribor forward. No, his legs have gone. Can see him central dee-fence a couple of times then freed and heading to Forfar via Falkirk in Jan.

"Are we so harsh? So devoid of sentiment? Damn you Spack, you're inhuman!"

"Highly illogical Doctor. Football is a performance-based sport, therefore it makes sense to shed the poor performers and the old ones in favour of better, faster players."

Green Mikey
26-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Never thought about murray being played there i think its a good shout, with him sighting slightly deeper he'l be able to read the game and adjust his position to make up for his ' chronic' lack of pace maybe worth a try as i feel we need a tackler in there badly

Having to play Murray deeper means that the team will have to adjust shape and give us less options going forward. I don't understand why we should alter the team to accomaodate a left back in midfield :dunno:

Murray has played left back or auxiliary centre half for most of his career how do people know that he is good at reading the game in midfield?

Green Mikey
26-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I was just about to post something along the same lines. Some of Sol's tackling on Sunday was superb. I couldn't help but think that if could win the ball like that a bit further up the pitch, we wouldn't cause ourselves so many problems. Bamba playing in front of the back four is worth a shout

Sol's our best centre half and was brilliant against Rangers in that position...I think this is a compelling argument for continuing to play him in defence.

Stevie Reid
26-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Although I share people's concerns re: Murray's legs and suitability for LB, I certainly wouldn't write him off just yet.

He was such a key performer last season up until he signed his new contract (which was great news at the time). I too would like to see him at CH but that's not gonna happen with Bamba still here. I still think he could do a job in midfield, but don't think Yogi fancies that.

andystanton
26-08-2010, 09:57 AM
de graff runs like lee evans

Dr Jimmy
26-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Sol's our best centre half and was brilliant against Rangers in that position...I think this is a compelling argument for continuing to play him in defence.

All I was suggesting was mix it up a bit (shuffle the pack if you prefer). We may find out that Sol then becomes our best Midfielder and this relates to the defence being protected better and allows other players to play their more natural game (Miller getting forward, Spoony & Galbraith running down the wings).
It was just a thought, as we clearly can't continue to pick almost the same team every week and lose 2 -3 goals a game.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2010, 10:14 AM
de graff runs like lee evans

:faf::faf: You are probably a yam, but i did find that funny and do agree.

Speedway
26-08-2010, 10:49 AM
IM last heard of still chasing that Maribor forward. No, his legs have gone. Can see him central dee-fence a couple of times then freed and heading to Forfar via Falkirk in Jan.

"Are we so harsh? So devoid of sentiment? Damn you Spack, you're inhuman!"

"Highly illogical Doctor. Football is a performance-based sport, therefore it makes sense to shed the poor performers and the old ones in favour of better, faster players."

Always enjoyed Dr. Spack

Gettin' Auld
26-08-2010, 11:03 AM
3 - 5 - 2

Thicot Bamba Murray

Wotherspoon DeGraaf Miller Rankin Galbraith

Stokes Deek

Sauzee's_Sons
26-08-2010, 12:33 PM
will hart and riordan be fit for sunday? if so, same team as agianst the huns with murray replacing mcbride as he could do the job just as well as mcbride and galbraith to replace de graaf, who in my opinion will be nothing more than a squad player this season, describing him running like lee evans somes him up perfectly, never a hibs regular!!!

M11BMO
26-08-2010, 12:39 PM

:agree:

Hibby Kay-Yay
26-08-2010, 12:40 PM
will hart and riordan be fit for sunday? if so, same team as agianst the huns with murray replacing mcbride as he could do the job just as well as mcbride and galbraith to replace de graaf, who in my opinion will be nothing more than a squad player this season, describing him running like lee evans somes him up perfectly, never a hibs regular!!!

No and yes

HibbyAndy
07-09-2010, 05:01 PM

one million percent not a yam.

Top hibs man he is :agree:

JennaFletcher
07-09-2010, 05:13 PM
All I was suggesting was mix it up a bit (shuffle the pack if you prefer). We may find out that Sol then becomes our best Midfielder and this relates to the defence being protected better and allows other players to play their more natural game (Miller getting forward, Spoony & Galbraith running down the wings).
It was just a thought, as we clearly can't continue to pick almost the same team every week and lose 2 -3 goals a game.

I agree - it would be interesting to see how Sol fares in midfield. We seem to have enough cover and experience at the back now to let this happen.

Gordon Quinn
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Surely the laddie from Middlesborough will play left back, is he fit?

blairwallace
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
not sure if its been brought up but where does yogi see zemmama playing when he's back? :confused:

Albion Hibs
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I agree - it would be interesting to see how Sol fares in midfield. We seem to have enough cover and experience at the back now to let this happen.

I thought Bamba was poor in midfield, his passing is miles to poor in that position.Much rather see him at the back.