PDA

View Full Version : Remember this incident?

Golden Bear
25-08-2010, 12:17 PM
At leat the incident was not malicious but unfortunately it still resulted in serious burns for the guy dressed up as a sheep.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/193856-millionaire-football-fan-avoids-jail-term-after-setting-fire-to-rival-supporter/

basehibby
25-08-2010, 12:43 PM
At leat the incident was not malicious but unfortunately it still resulted in serious burns for the guy dressed up as a sheep.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/193856-millionaire-football-fan-avoids-jail-term-after-setting-fire-to-rival-supporter/

Ye Gads! Hibby or no Hibby - this guy is extremely lucky not to be going to jail - in fact I'm quite amazed that he's not.

I only hope the poor guy who got set alight makes as good a recovery as is possible - £25,000 is pidling compensation for being scared for life over 40% of your body.

Lofarl
25-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought he was a Dons fan. Well Hibs should ban this clown for life. Tbh he should have gone to jail for that crime. I guess money talks..

Jay
25-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I thought he was a Dons fan. Well Hibs should ban this clown for life. Tbh he should have gone to jail for that crime. I guess money talks..

It was reported that he was a Hibs fan in the beginning then a couple of months later the papers said he was a friend of the guy and an Aberdeen fan and now they are saying he is a Hibs fan. Typical journalists.

However it doesn't matter what team the guy supports he is an erse of the highest order and bought himself out of jail. At least his victim is getting the money albeit a pittance considering he has to live with his injurys for life.

Harpandcastle
25-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Why do you think this lad should be banned by Hibs for life?

Bearing in mind this was a charge brought about by a very unfortunate accident miles away from Easter Road and by all accounts had nothing to do with the fact both men involved supported different teams.

Do you think any one found to support Hibs that is convicted of any crime, anywhere should also be banned for life?

Lofarl
25-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote from article

"Wallace, 24, who manages the farm near St Andrews, repeatedly flicked his lighter near Aberdeen fan Arjuna's costume - made of a white tracksuit and cotton wool - until it caught light".

It was no accident. Like it or not this guy was travelling back from a football match. I expect that anyone who was involved in any sort of violence arising from a football match would be subjected to punishment from the team they support. If it was a accident fair enough. But no not for a malicious crime. Christ the guy coulld have died.

Plus the guy has a previous fine for drinking at a Hampden semi, which ok is no shocker. A football fan drunk at a match. But all things considered I would not want a clown like that near me at a match.

Harpandcastle
25-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote from article
"Wallace, 24, who manages the farm near St Andrews, repeatedly flicked his lighter near Aberdeen fan Arjuna's costume - made of a white tracksuit and cotton wool - until it caught light".

It was no accident. Like it or not this guy was travelling back from a football match. I expect that anyone who was involved in any sort of violence arising from a football match would be subjected to punishment from the team they support. If it was a accident fair enough. But no not for a malicious crime. Christ the guy coulld have died.

Plus the guy has a previous fine for drinking at a Hampden semi, which ok is no shocker. A football fan drunk at a match. But all things considered I would not want a clown like that near me at a match.

I dont believe for one minute he tried to set fire to the guy, I would think the couirts must have established this or he would be in the pokey for the foreseeable future.

Do you start banning people who injure someone in a car crash travelling back from a game? Do you ban people who come to blows in the street hours after a game over something unconnected to football? I would hope not.

matty_f
25-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I dont believe for one minute he tried to set fire to the guy, I would think the couirts must have established this or he would be in the pokey for the foreseeable future.

Do you start banning people who injure someone in a car crash travelling back from a game? Do you ban people who come to blows in the street hours after a game over something unconnected to football? I would hope not.

Spot on. I think the guy's more guilty of idiocy rather than maliciously setting fire to the other guy. I don't think he expected the suit to burst into flames the way it apparently did - the report said that the two had been having good natured banter and were going to meet later.

Too easy to make judgements on people and situations, and no way does the guy deserve a ban for it.

.Sean.
25-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Anybody recognise the Hibby? I don't. He should be going to jail. 25K is nothing considering much of the victim's body is permanently scarred.

The guy in question sounds like a first class twat.

MSK
25-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote from article

Plus the guy has a previous fine for drinking at a Hampden semi, which ok is no shocker. A football fan drunk at a match. But all things considered I would not want a clown like that near me at a match.It was Tomfoolery/high jinks..a silly prank that ended up almost a tragedy, the lad has been punished by law & will no doubt think twice about ever doing that again but why in your opinion should he be banned for life from Easter rd ?...i could understand if he was a thug that deliberatly set about inflicting some serious harm on a rival fan but it was nowt more than than an erse ersing aboot..im not saying all is rosy as someone was seriously burned but a modicum of common sense & balance required here i think ..:agree:

Antifa Hibs
25-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Those wanting him banned and jailed, where any of you on the train?

According to eye-witness reports at the time of the incident (about 10 months ago!) it was a group of guys having a bit banter, he was meant to have flicked a match (note how STV said a lighter), it caught fire and all hell broke lose...

Not like the media to make things worse than it is.....

iwasthere1972
25-08-2010, 02:07 PM
It was Tomfoolery/high jinks..a silly prank that ended up almost a tragedy, the lad has been punished by law & will no doubt think twice about ever doing that again but why in your opinion should he be banned for life from Easter rd ?...i could understand if he was a thug that deliberatly set about inflicting some serious harm on a rival fan but it was nowt more than than an erse ersing aboot..im not saying all is rosy as someone was seriously burned but a modicum of common sense & balance required here i think ..:agree:

:agree: Saves me typing.

Not as if the guy is a thug and has a string of offences to his name apart from drunk at a fitba match.

Banff
25-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I know the guy and in fact he is actually a quiet kind of lad. What happened was we were all having a laugh WITH the Aberdeen fans when the 'sheep' clad dons man tried to set his Hibs scarf on fire, which led him to jokingly flick his lighter at his sheep costume a few times when the thing just went WOOSH. There you have it 1st hand.

MSK
25-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I know the guy and in fact he is actually a quiet kind of lad. What happened was we were all having a laugh WITH the Aberdeen fans when the 'sheep' clad dons man tried to set his Hibs scarf on fire, which led him to jokingly flick his lighter at his sheep costume a few times when the thing just went WOOSH. There you have it 1st hand.A balanced view from someone who was actually there ..thanks ..:agree:

Broken Gnome
25-08-2010, 02:55 PM
So he's definitely a Hibby? As Aberdeen's evening paper has him setting a 'fellow Dons fan on fire'. Odd.

MSK
25-08-2010, 02:57 PM
So he's definitely a Hibby? As Aberdeen's evening paper has him setting a 'fellow Dons fan on fire'. Odd.Banff was there & he said the lad had a hibs scarf on ..

Hibernia Na Eir
25-08-2010, 03:03 PM
a wolf in sheeps clothing.....

Hibernian Verse
25-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I wonder if he posts on here...or at least reads.

Simon70
25-08-2010, 03:34 PM

According to eye-witness reports at the time of the incident (about 10 months ago!) it was a group of guys having a bit banter, he was meant to have flicked a match (note how STV said a lighter), it caught fire and all hell broke lose...

Not true. He said to his mates something along the lines of "I wonder if it would go on fire" and then set about doing exactly that. He is very very lucky not to be in jail. He should be.

Jay
25-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Tomfoolery?? Highjinks??? A bit of banter???? Bloody stupidity if you ask me. I dont think his intentions were to set the guy on fire but anybody with half a brain would know that the suits they were wearing would go on fire and even if their braincells didn't collide to connect that thought, just flicking a lighter at someone is asking for trouble.

MSK
25-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Tomfoolery?? Highjinks??? A bit of banter???? Bloody stupidity if you ask me. I dont think his intentions were to set the guy on fire but anybody with half a brain would know that the suits they were wearing would go on fire and even if their braincells didn't collide to connect that thought, just flicking a lighter at someone is asking for trouble.I assume thats me you are quoting ..& i agree with you ..

Owain_1987
25-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I will just like to say I know for a fact it was a joke that got of hand with people having to much to drink. The guy yes was an idiot but he is not a bad person, he just did something very silly which we all do he was just very unlucky that this happened. I really hope the man from Aberdeen is ok and can get on with his life.

hibbymac
25-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Not true. He said to his mates something along the lines of "I wonder if it would go on fire" and then set about doing exactly that. He is very very lucky not to be in jail. He should be.

:confused: Are you saying Banff, in post 13 is lying?

matty_f
25-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Tomfoolery?? Highjinks??? A bit of banter???? Bloody stupidity if you ask me. I dont think his intentions were to set the guy on fire but anybody with half a brain would know that the suits they were wearing would go on fire and even if their braincells didn't collide to connect that thought, just flicking a lighter at someone is asking for trouble.

It was sheer stupidity, I think the problem is that some folk don't realise quite how inflammable these things are. I'd think that he probably expected a small flame that could have easily been put out, but it would have burned very feircely, very quickly instead.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-08-2010, 06:30 PM

:agree:
Clearly the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade (who've never done a thing wrong) scent blood though.

MSK
25-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Clearly the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade (who've never done a thing wrong) scent blood though.26 posts & at least 3 folk mentioned him getting jailed or getting banned from ER ...dinnae let the facts get in the way of your exaggeration eh ...:greengrin

Pretty Boy
25-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I think a few people calling for a ban and a jail sentence believe too much of what they see in the media. I've been there, done it and bought the t shirt with regards to a court case and believe me the media report and the actual events(including the version given by the fiscal) were poles apart.

I had an Aberdeen supporting mate on that train and he said to me it was pretty good natured banter that turned ugly very quickly due to a freak accident. There is no way this was a malicous act just a tragic accident that has unfortunately led to a sever injury for a young man.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2010, 06:52 PM
So he's definitely a Hibby? As Aberdeen's evening paper has him setting a 'fellow Dons fan on fire'. Odd.

I wouldn't believe anything you read in the rag that passes as Aberdeens evening 'paper'.

See my above post, not a fan.

Jay
25-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I assume thats me you are quoting ..& i agree with you ..

Aye but not in a bad way HH.

MSK
25-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Aye but not in a bad way HH.Ye can if ye want ..i dont bite ..:greengrin

basehibby
25-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Clearly the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade (who've never done a thing wrong) scent blood though.

When I first heard the story I was very much part of the hang em and flog em brigade as I assumed that it was a result of a deliberate attack.

Now that I know the full story - well I still think the guy is very lucky not to be going to jail - acts of gross stupidity that result in someone nearly dying do tend to attract that sort of sentence afterall.

However, given that there evidently was no malice and it was an accident - however stupid - I don't think I'd ban the guy from going to the football for life.

Afterall, if you banned people from the football just for stupidity who would you get anyone to play in goals :confused:

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I hope this has not put him off sheep, it could be a problem considering his job?

Beefster
25-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Considering what the victim has gone through and will have to live with for the rest of his days, I'm not sure the media could make it any worse than it is.

Banff
25-08-2010, 08:07 PM

I think a few people calling for a ban and a jail sentence believe too much of what they see in the media. I've been there, done it and bought the t shirt with regards to a court case and believe me the media report and the actual events(including the version given by the fiscal) were poles apart.

I had an Aberdeen supporting mate on that train and he said to me it was pretty good natured banter that turned ugly very quickly due to a freak accident. There is no way this was a malicous act just a tragic accident that has unfortunately led to a sever injury for a young man.

Your Aberdeen supporting mate IS correct, it was good natured until the freak accident. The boy was trying to set his Hibs scarf on fire (not actually going to do it, more like flicking a lighter or a match in a joking way) then the Hibs fan said 'i wonder if the suit would go on fire' for a joke, and then proceeded to do the same as 'sheep man' which went terribly wrong. Stupid yes, malicious no!

Hibs On Tour
25-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Anybody recognise the Hibby? I don't. He should be going to jail. 25K is nothing considering much of the victim's body is permanently scarred.

The guy in question sounds like a first class twat.

Doesn't matter a jot if anyone recognises him or knows him. That's completely irrelevant.

Yes he sounds like a twat [the rugby fan bit gave that away if nothing else did :devil:]. Yes he should have been sent down regardless for it IMHO. To be fair, from the sounds of it the Aberdeen fan could just as likely been up for the same charge against the Hibs fan if his scarf had caught alight. I accept there was no malice of forethought but stupidity [or to give it its legal term - absense of any thought] isn't a proper defence. Without it meaning to sound like a pun, if you play with fire you may get burnt. The rich lad has had a lucky escape.

But no way is there any relevance to having him banned from ER. Fair play if the offence was football-related perhaps but its not. It having happened on the way to/from the game doesn't make it related to the game FFS. That's taking the moral high horse a little too far...

...WentToMowAnSPL
25-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Two apparently conflicting comments from me :

1. I would like to apologise for apparently being the only Hibs fan in the away end of Pittodrie that sang "the sheep are on fire"

2. Double standards aside, I hope the fan who suffered recovers well, and I don't expect anything from the guy who commited the offence : we've all been p*ssed but to try to set someone alight and claim you didn't really think through the consequences. Next step, should have been for him to go to prison and 'snuggle into his new cellmate'.

Simon70
26-08-2010, 01:20 PM
:confused: Are you saying Banff, in post 13 is lying?

Yes.

Simon70
26-08-2010, 01:23 PM
If he'd been a working class guy from Pilton or Muirhouse rather than a rich middle/upper class farmer's son from St. Andrews does anyone doubt that he'd be in jail now?

Andy74
26-08-2010, 02:04 PM
If he'd been a working class guy from Pilton or Muirhouse rather than a rich middle/upper class farmer's son from St. Andrews does anyone doubt that he'd be in jail now?

You are possibly not wrong but a lot of it seems to have been based on how he has reacted since the incident. He seems to have take full responsibility, shown compassion and regret and had said he was very willing to pay compensation.

It's a sad but probably true perception that in the courts and in his dealings with the police the guy has probably been able to be more articulate and convincing about this than the working class guys. Again I'll emaphaise the perception because anyone else is obviously still going to have those feelings.

The cash is also helpful. He was able to in some way compensate for what he had done.

All in all he was able to show that he was not liable to reoffend and that is why a custodian sentence would have been of little benefit to anyone.

Banff
26-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes.

How am i a liar?

Pretty Boy
26-08-2010, 02:32 PM
You are possibly not wrong but a lot of it seems to have been based on how he has reacted since the incident. He seems to have take full responsibility, shown compassion and regret and had said he was very willing to pay compensation.

It's a sad but probably true perception that in the courts and in his dealings with the police the guy has probably been able to be more articulate and convincing about this than the working class guys. Again I'll emaphaise the perception because anyone else is obviously still going to have those feelings.

The cash is also helpful. He was able to in some way compensate for what he had done.

All in all he was able to show that he was not liable to reoffend and that is why a custodian sentence would have been of little benefit to anyone.

What a lot of people fail to understand is just how stressful the whole process of being interviewed by police and going to court is. I don't doubt there is some people who don't give a toss but most 1st time offenders who are genuinely remorseful are terrified.

I've been on both sides of the fence, i was accused and found guilty of something stupid but serious and whilst a custodial sentence was unlikely, the mere thought of it terrified me. Having a social worker quiz me about my background and my feelings on the matter was humiliating. Luckily i was truly remorseful for what i had done and managed to make this clear, i was also extremely fortunate in the sense that the victim of my crime wrote to the court in support of me and asked for a lenient sentence because i had shown remorse towards them. Having a story splashed acccross the local paper about me and having a reporter knock my door and quiz my girlfriend on my whereabouts at 11.30 at night was disturbing not least because i was suffering from pretty severe depression at the time and the stress was causing all sorts of problems.

On the other hand i spent the next 2 years of my life volunteering to work with 1st time offenders to cut the chances of them re-offending. Contarary to popular belief it's not easy to fool the social workers, if they think you have a chance of re-offending they will make that clear in their report and a sterner sentence is likely. Most 1st or 2nd time offenders are generally decent enough people who have made mistakes. It's exceptionally hard to rebuild your life after a guilty verdict, not least because gaining employment is difficult with a huge black mark against your name.

It's very easy to judge people who have commited a crime but in my experience most non habitual offenders just need a helping hand to get back on the right path. Whilst it sounds stupid being convicted of a crime was one of the best things that happened to me, it forced me to confront my issues with gambling and alcohol, it forced me to seek help for my depression, it forced me to open up to people i had closed out and it showed me who my true friends are.

I'm not excusing what this guy did but he is clearly remorseful, he has made a compensation offer and he is admitting of his guilt(accident or not). I'm sure this doesnt't make his victim feel any better but i fail to see what a jail sentence will acheive for either party.

Owain_1987
26-08-2010, 02:42 PM

What a lot of people fail to understand is just how stressful the whole process of being interviewed by police and going to court is. I don't doubt there is some people who don't give a toss but most 1st time offenders who are genuinely remorseful are terrified.

I've been on both sides of the fence, i was accused and found guilty of something stupid but serious and whilst a custodial sentence was unlikely, the mere thought of it terrified me. Having a social worker quiz me about my background and my feelings on the matter was humiliating. Luckily i was truly remorseful for what i had done and managed to make this clear, i was also extremely fortunate in the sense that the victim of my crime wrote to the court in support of me and asked for a lenient sentence because i had shown remorse towards them. Having a story splashed acccross the local paper about me and having a reporter knock my door and quiz my girlfriend on my whereabouts at 11.30 at night was disturbing not least because i was suffering from pretty severe depression at the time and the stress was causing all sorts of problems.

On the other hand i spent the next 2 years of my life volunteering to work with 1st time offenders to cut the chances of them re-offending. Contarary to popular belief it's not easy to fool the social workers, if they think you have a chance of re-offending they will make that clear in their report and a sterner sentence is likely. Most 1st or 2nd time offenders are generally decent enough people who have made mistakes. It's exceptionally hard to rebuild your life after a guilty verdict, not least because gaining employment is difficult with a huge black mark against your name.

It's very easy to judge people who have commited a crime but in my experience most non habitual offenders just need a helping hand to get back on the right path. Whilst it sounds stupid being convicted of a crime was one of the best things that happened to me, it forced me to confront my issues with gambling and alcohol, it forced me to seek help for my depression, it forced me to open up to people i had closed out and it showed me who my true friends are.

I'm not excusing what this guy did but he is clearly remorseful, he has made a compensation offer and he is admitting of his guilt(accident or not). I'm sure this doesnt't make his victim feel any better but i fail to see what a jail sentence will acheive for either party.

All of that makes a lot of sense. Think everyone will agree what happened was shocking and people should put their brain in gear before they do things. You can blame alcohol but that does not make it ok. You are right though he is very sorry and going back to the other point from someone else the reason courts would more likely of sent him to prison if he was working class is because in their mind they would think being working class would make him more likely to re-offend. Once this is not right being able to show how sorry you are through something like writing a letter to you victim shows a lot of maturity wherever you are from working class or upper class.

Dinkydoo
27-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Remember this http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1889153?UserKey

The idiot in question seems to have been ordered to pay his victim 25K in compensation. He apparently didn't mean to set the guy on fire "I was just mucking about with a lighter and accidentially set fire to the man"...........

Which IMO is a bit hard to believe :rolleyes:

Anyway case resolved, although the poor guy will probably have to live with the consequences of some carless tits actions for the rest of his life.

Antifa Hibs
27-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Is a good song though :agree:

Already been discussed, about 2 pages back...

IWasThere2016
27-08-2010, 12:05 PM

:agree: Oh, and he is a Hibs fan. 100%

.Sean.
27-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Doesn't matter a jot if anyone recognises him or knows him. That's completely irrelevant.

Yes he sounds like a twat [the rugby fan bit gave that away if nothing else did :devil:]. Yes he should have been sent down regardless for it IMHO. To be fair, from the sounds of it the Aberdeen fan could just as likely been up for the same charge against the Hibs fan if his scarf had caught alight. I accept there was no malice of forethought but stupidity [or to give it its legal term - absense of any thought] isn't a proper defence. Without it meaning to sound like a pun, if you play with fire you may get burnt. The rich lad has had a lucky escape.

But no way is there any relevance to having him banned from ER. Fair play if the offence was football-related perhaps but its not. It having happened on the way to/from the game doesn't make it related to the game FFS. That's taking the moral high horse a little too far...
:greengrin

And no, a banning order isn't needed. If Hibs were to ban every fan for being an idiot away from Easter Road there would hardly be anybody there!

Two apparently conflicting comments from me :

1. I would like to apologise for apparently being the only Hibs fan in the away end of Pittodrie that sang "the sheep are on fire"

2. Double standards aside, I hope the fan who suffered recovers well, and I don't expect anything from the guy who commited the offence : we've all been p*ssed but to try to set someone alight and claim you didn't really think through the consequences. Next step, should have been for him to go to prison and 'snuggle into his new cellmate'.
The majority of us sang it that day, until the Polis chucked one or two out for it.

Don't doubt it. The guy has basically bought his way out the slammer by giving the victim the paltry sum of £25000.