PDA

View Full Version : Sky Blooming Sports News !!!

LALthehibeeGAL
24-08-2010, 08:22 PM
How bad is the new set up - cant read anything on the right cant read anything onthe left and cant read the top or bottom - great watching hte results coming in tonight - NOT!!!!!

Lal:wink:

Calvin
24-08-2010, 08:24 PM
You need to watch it in HD.

LALthehibeeGAL
24-08-2010, 08:27 PM
You need to watch it in HD.

really - so if you don't have hd you have to put up with it like that - that is not fair on us non hd peeps.

I have fired an email off Sky Sports anyhoo cos I'm no happy.

lal:wink:

Jones28
24-08-2010, 08:29 PM
really - so if you don't have hd you have to put up with it like that - that is not fair on us non hd peeps.

They dont give a shiiit about scottish football remeber, im assuming that the supporters are the same

Hibs90
24-08-2010, 08:33 PM

I'd suspect the majority of Sky suscribers are HD aswell. I'm glad it's off of Freeview and now has a new sexy new look. :agree:

Edinburgh Green
24-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd suspect the majority of Sky suscribers are HD aswell. I'm glad it's off of Freeview and now has a new sexy new look. :agree:

Why are you glad it's off freeview? :confused:

Woody1985
24-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I wonder if their advertising revenue will now drop on SSN given that X million people probably can't watch it any more.

I had it on every day on freeview. I won't be getting Sky to watch it though.

I had considered it but I'm not paying 50/60 quid a month to watch TV a couple of nights a week.

DaveF
24-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Lal.

A Sky Sports subscriber but on an old telly :greengrin and it's unwatchable.

Not that I ever watched that channel much anyway, but it's still pain, given the telly is way down on the list of things to replace!

Gatecrasher
24-08-2010, 08:58 PM
we have HD downstairs but not upstairs and i agree with the non HD folk, the ends are cut of the picture as well and when you try and adjust the size of the picture it still has the sides cut off so you only get the white part in the middle. looks minted in HD though :cool2:

Sergey
24-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Lal.

A Sky Sports subscriber but on an old telly :greengrin and it's unwatchable.

Not that I ever watched that channel much anyway, but it's still pain, given the telly is way down on the list of things to replace!

Free live feeds are available :cool2:

Woody1985
24-08-2010, 09:04 PM
The cynic in me would say this is part of a ploy to get people to upgrade to HD packages.

Hibs90
24-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Mainly because when I go round to my mates and it's all he has on the TV, will be good to watch something different for a change. :greengrin

Hibercelona
24-08-2010, 09:10 PM
looks minted in HD though :cool2:

Really?

I couldn't imagine watching the ugly mugs of Rob Wotton and Jim White in HD. :sick:

Chloe Everton & Millie Clode must be looking mighty tidy though. :drool:

Gatecrasher
24-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Really?

I couldn't imagine watching the ugly mugs of Rob Wotton and Jim White in HD. :sick:

Chloe Everton & Millie Clode must be looking mighty tidy though. :drool:

yup and Georgie Thompson aint to bad either :aok:

h1bs4life
24-08-2010, 09:24 PM
How bad is the new set up - cant read anything on the right cant read anything onthe left and cant read the top or bottom - great watching hte results coming in tonight - NOT!!!!!

Had that on all my tv's on monday when it changed over , on the menu went to services , 4 system set up , 1 picture settings , changed picture format to 16:9 and secondary picture format to 16:9 saved it all looks ok now. Worth a try

squire
24-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I got a text today saying "Georgie T in HD..." I'm gutted i dont have HD for that little honey pot! But Im glad ive graduated from uni as I dont think I would know what to do without SSN on 24/7

Baader
24-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I can't stand Sky Sports, it's stupid 'news' and all it represents.

It's on at my work constantly, same nothing stories every twenty minutes and there are only so many breaking news Cesc-Fabregas-may-have-a-hamstring-tweak headlines a man can take!

The in-depth 'analysis' after a match is painstaking in the extreme. The complete antithesis to football, which should be joyous, spontaneous and unpredictable.

Sorry, I can't avoid it at my work. Rant over!

:grr:

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I watch it via Virgin Media and you have to change your settings to get the whole picture in, I did it yesterday and it's working fine, agree with all that it doesn't really care for Scottish football and there's too much bloody cricket on it as well :grr:

But I suppose it's better than nowt and it gives you Soccer Saturday which is always a hoot.

Hibernia Na Eir
25-08-2010, 09:45 AM
totally agree. I tuned in last night and thought i was seeing things. Its AWFUL! Why did they change it? It was superb before. Far too much on screen now.:grr:

Get it sorted SKY.

GloryGlory
25-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I watch it via Virgin Media and you have to change your settings to get the whole picture in, I did it yesterday and it's working fine, agree with all that it doesn't really care for Scottish football and there's too much bloody cricket on it as well :grr:

But I suppose it's better than nowt and it gives you Soccer Saturday which is always a hoot.

I've got Virgin Media - any advice on how to change settings, I was trying last night and couldn't get it? Ta. :thumbsup:

patlowe
25-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Taking Sky Sports News off of freeview is another example of a bitter Rupert Murdoch flexing his capitalist, free-market muscle. This, and the purchase of the HBO rights, is an attempt to get Sky over the much-vaunted 10 million subscriber mark.

It's an old fogie statement to make, but the channel itself represents everything that is wrong with modern society. It provides a constant stream of meaningless, unimportant, flashy nonsense and has killed the concept of conversation in many bars. The presenters are vacuous shells and spend most of their time advertising upcoming events on Sky. But I still watch it!

I hate Murdoch, I hate Sky and I hate how much I still want to get the full Sky Sports package in HD. :rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
25-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Me too and I'm not subscribing to HD just to see the full screen if that's what it takes.

Antifa Hibs
25-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Taking Sky Sports News off of freeview is another example of a bitter Rupert Murdoch flexing his capitalist, free-market muscle. This, and the purchase of the HBO rights, is an attempt to get Sky over the much-vaunted 10 million subscriber mark.

It's an old fogie statement to make, but the channel itself represents everything that is wrong with modern society. It provides a constant stream of meaningless, unimportant, flashy nonsense and has killed the concept of conversation in many bars. The presenters are vacuous shells and spend most of their time advertising upcoming events on Sky. But I still watch it!

I hate Murdoch, I hate Sky and I hate how much I still want to get the full Sky Sports package in HD. :rolleyes:

Exactly the reason I scrapped Sky Sports about 2-3 seasons ago.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media get it in HD?

RoslinInstHibby
25-08-2010, 01:39 PM

because its no longer on freeview i believe that they will be able to show goals scored that day far earlier than before.......

i quite like the new set up:thumbsup:

greenlex
25-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Dont have the sky sports package butdo have HD.
Good move I now get Sky Sports News. Roll on next Tuesday when I will be glued to it rift up to the 5pm transfer deadline.

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Had that on all my tv's on monday when it changed over , on the menu went to services , 4 system set up , 1 picture settings , changed picture format to 16:9 and secondary picture format to 16:9 saved it all looks ok now. Worth a try

:agree: As long as your settings are on 16:9 it should be fine. I don't have HD, though I do have an HD ready TV and I can see everything ok.

Hamish
25-08-2010, 05:22 PM
:agree: As long as your settings are on 16:9 it should be fine. I don't have HD, though I do have an HD ready TV and I can see everything ok.

:agree: though the update scores on the Soccer Special last night were very small and difficult to see for an old codger

Pedantic_Hibee
25-08-2010, 05:24 PM
What channel is it on for Sky? I had a search last night and couldn't find it.

Craig_HFC
25-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Exactly the reason I scrapped Sky Sports about 2-3 seasons ago.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media get it in HD?

You can get Sky Sports 1 & 2 in HD on Virgin Media.

Pete70
25-08-2010, 06:29 PM
You can get Sky Sports 1 & 2 in HD on Virgin Media.

But only if you pay extra. I think it's £7 a month

HibeeUnderwood
25-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry, but you don't need a news channel in HD! :grr:

Just another way of getting more money, bloody pointless. I hope they make a loss from this move! No doubt unlikely, but you never know. :cool2:

Sir David Gray
25-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry, but you don't need a news channel in HD! :grr:

Just another way of getting more money, bloody pointless. I hope they make a loss from this move! No doubt unlikely, but you never know. :cool2:

I personally don't think any of the current TV fads are necessary. I can sort of understand the reasoning behind HD for certain things but I think Sky's latest craze, 3D, at least in its current form, is a bit of a waste of time.

I've no doubt that technology will continue to improve and in five years or so, 3D will be probably be amazing but at the moment, I don't think it's really worth the money and, as you have already said, having Sky Sports News in HD is just ridiculous.

I have to say, though, that as someone who does not have HD, I haven't noticed any problems with Sky Sports News since the change to the format on Monday. As far as I'm aware, I don't think anything is missing from the screen.

DaveF
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM

OK, my priority's changed :greengrin and we now have a big HD telly.

Still, even though my settings are 16:9 I've still got that squished screen look. As I said earlier in this thread I don't really watch SSN much (who can!) but it's bl00dy annoying when I do flick onto it.

Is there anything else that needs doing? I've only got the bog standard SKY package so maybe that's the problem....

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
OK, my priority's changed :greengrin and we now have a big HD telly.
Still, even though my settings are 16:9 I've still got that squished screen look. As I said earlier in this thread I don't really watch SSN much (who can!) but it's bl00dy annoying when I do flick onto it.
Is there anything else that needs doing? I've only got the bog standard SKY package so maybe that's the problem....

Have you got both your TV and sky set up for 16:9? Is it set up as 16:9 in services, system setup, picture settings using your sky remote?

snooky
10-12-2010, 12:53 AM

Elitist! :coffee:

:cool2:

DaveF
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Have you got both your TV and sky set up for 16:9? Is it set up as 16:9 in services, system setup, picture settings using your sky remote?

Ahh, only did that on the Telly. Will do the SKY thing when I get home :doh:

Golden Bear
10-12-2010, 10:23 AM
:agree: though the update scores on the Soccer Special last night were very small and difficult to see for an old codger

:agree:

The screen is "too busy" imo.

Kyle A
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
err.... have not read all the posts so if someone has said this already just ignore. You need to change your picture settings in your Sky menu to see the full screen. I have done this for several friends and it surprises me people cant figure this out.