PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Pairing for Sunday?

007 Mickey Weir
24-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Ok with the Rangers game out the way, is Stephens gonna get his start? Or who would you choose as a CB Pairing?

Sprouleflyer
24-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Ok with the Rangers game out the way, is Stephens gonna get his start? Or who would you choose as a CB Pairing?

Hogg and Bamba, if Bamba is still here.

3pm
24-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Murray and Bamba for me. Failing Murray, then Thicot.

At The Edge
24-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Stephens and Bamba for me, the young guy has to get a start sometime and Bamba will keep him right, Hes being selected for Welsh under 21's so the experience he gains from just being part of the international setup will IMO help his game at Hibs.
Yogi get him on! :greengrin

blairwallace
24-08-2010, 09:17 PM
after 26 votes i think its settled :thumbsup:
bamba and stephens it is?

hibee92
24-08-2010, 09:24 PM
not the biggest fan of Hogg, no the worst either but i think he played quite well last week :agree: keep him in the team, how demoralising would it be to be dropped if you're the captain.

on the other hand, could make some of the players sit up and think 'if the captain can be dropped, whats to say i canny?' :agree:

DH1875
24-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I went for other cause all the rest have Bamba in them. Hope he stays but if he's going he better go soon. Don't want to leave it to late for us to get a good replacement in. Could you imagine if we lose him and have to go with what we got left :rolleyes:.

Prof. Shaggy
24-08-2010, 10:01 PM
"Other"

In 4 competitive games this season we have lost 11 goals.
This needs fixing.
Until the defence gets sorted out I'm for Stephens, Hanlon or Thicot coming in beside Hogg and Bamba.
Assuming Wotherspoon will take Hart's place for a few weeks and Murray will be free of suspension, I'd go with them at full/wing backs.

Ryan91
24-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd like to see either Hanlon & Bamba or Stephens & Bamba in the centre, Hogg I find often appears to shy away from doing something and on the park doesn't do a good job as captain, I think possibly give Riordan the captain's armband for a match and see how he takes the responsibility.

Club captains are often picked regardless of whether or not they are doing well, Yogi dropped Hogg early last season when he was really poor, I think Hogg needs to be dropped again and let a new CB pairing take hold for a few games as he just doesn't try hard enough.

Teuchter Hibbie
24-08-2010, 10:22 PM
bamba and stephens/murray for me, but its never gona happen because hogg wont be dropped. as i have emphasised before, bamba is a colossus at the back and hogg is lost without his presence imo, as he was when jones left.

cabbageandribs1875
24-08-2010, 10:43 PM
murray and the bamba boy:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
25-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Like many people I went for Stephens/Bamba. I think what is important is what sided centre back the player is. For instance, Bamba plays at LCB and Stephens seems to be a RCB (its where he played when he came on against Mothwerwell anyway). Yogi tried to play Hanlon and Bamba as a centre back pairing a couple of times last season. Vs St Johnstone away and Vs Celtic away. It resulted in us losing 8 goals in 2 games as Bamba played on the right hand side to accomodate Hanlon, so I don't think we should try that pairing again. Stephens has to start somewhere. Why not now?

rossi
25-08-2010, 02:29 AM
have to agree with Prof. ****gy; with Hart out I think we'd do best with 3 CBs and wing backs. Could try Galbraith on the left and put Murray into McBride's holding roll???

lucky
25-08-2010, 06:33 AM
I agree i would play 3 center back witth spoony and galbraith aw wing backs but I an Murray could not replace Mcbride as he does not have the passing abilty to start all the moves from the back. Murray can play in the holding role but only if Hibs play two players there in a 3-5-1-1 formation.

rossi
25-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't prefer Murray to McBride in midfield, but McB. will be suspended on sunday.

hibsbollah
26-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Thicot and Bamba.

It baffles me that Thicot has looked solid every game hes played there and hasnt been given an extended chance. He must be rubbish in training:confused:

Dinkydoo
26-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Bamba and Stephens for me. :agree:

Stephens needs his chance sometime and Hogg just isn't cutting the mustard these days....

Dr Jimmy
26-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I have stated on another thread (Midfield) that although Bamba is our best CF, I think he should be played in the holding Midfield role giving cover to the defence and letting others get forward.
My preference would be to play Hanlon and Thicot, but we may need Thicot at RB if Spoony is to stay in Midfield.
I really think we need to change things about a bit, as we are losing goals at a rate of knots!

Expecting Rain
26-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Any centre back pairing that excludes Hogg.

easty
26-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I went for other cause all the rest have Bamba in them. Hope he stays but if he's going he better go soon. Don't want to leave it to late for us to get a good replacement in. Could you imagine if we lose him and have to go with what we got left :rolleyes:.

Thats a huge worry, I'd be really unhappy/worried if Hibs accepted an offer (other than a ridiculously large cash offer that couldnt be turned down) a day or so before the window.

I agree i would play 3 center back witth spoony and galbraith aw wing backs but I an Murray could not replace Mcbride as he does not have the passing abilty to start all the moves from the back. Murray can play in the holding role but only if Hibs play two players there in a 3-5-1-1 formation.

I reckon Sol as the sweeper in a back 3 would be pretty good with Murray and Hanlon/Stephens alongside, big Sol is a defender comfortable with the ball at feet (sometimes too comfortable mind) and thats a bonus for a sweeper, and Spoony and Galbraith at wing-backs would be exciting. Can you see Yogi changing the system though? I dont think I can.

Any centre back pairing that excludes Hogg.

Does anybody genuinely believe Hogg won't be playing from the start? As much as we want to see him dropped I don't hold out much hope for it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Thicot and Bamba.

It baffles me that Thicot has looked solid every game hes played there and hasnt been given an extended chance. He must be rubbish in training:confused:

When Thicot has played at right back he has looked solid but he hasn't pushed forward at all and as that is a pre-requisite for a full back in any John Hughes team, he is perhaps writing his own epitath. He is certainly a better passer of the ball than Hogg. Perhaps Thicot could be tried in front of the back four?

Andy74
26-08-2010, 04:31 PM
A bit of a waste of time this one with Bamba and Hogg having played well on Sunday.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Stephens and Bamba for me, the young guy has to get a start sometime

Can you imagine the reaction if Yogi used that as the justification for picking players.

Frankly, I want to use the game to win points, not blood youngsters.

500miles
26-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I reckon Yogi will still be looking for another CH - a big dominant felly at that.

At The Edge
26-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Can you imagine the reaction if Yogi used that as the justification for picking players.

Frankly, I want to use the game to win points, not blood youngsters.

so with that reckoning when do the youngsters get a game?

I also want to win points, what i've seen of Stephens is a good player and lets face it our defence isn't exactly amazing.
Guys got to get chance in my book and hes only going to get better by playing full games.

Albion Hibs
26-08-2010, 07:10 PM
At the centre I would be tempted to go for Bamba with Hanlon with Hart and Murray at full back. I think that is our strongest back four by a distance and on paper a very good one, just unfortunate we have not had a chance to put it together to far this season. Hopefully we can get the majority of it together this weekend, and put Hart in when he is back from injury.

Bamba and Stephens would worry me massively, IMO.

Would not make Deek the captain, not a good role for him.

Alfred E Newman
26-08-2010, 08:49 PM
No matter what permutation you try I don`t think we have a decent pairing.

Hibs90
26-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Bamba and Hanlon with Murray left back.

Speedy
26-08-2010, 09:24 PM
When Thicot has played at right back he has looked solid but he hasn't pushed forward at all and as that is a pre-requisite for a full back in any John Hughes team, he is perhaps writing his own epitath. He is certainly a better passer of the ball than Hogg. Perhaps Thicot could be tried in front of the back four?

Or at CH?

I haven't been that impressed with Thicot at right back but I agree with the other poster, I've been very impressed when he's been in the centre.

I have stated on another thread (Midfield) that although Bamba is our best CF, I think he should be played in the holding Midfield role giving cover to the defence and letting others get forward.
My preference would be to play Hanlon and Thicot, but we may need Thicot at RB if Spoony is to stay in Midfield.
I really think we need to change things about a bit, as we are losing goals at a rate of knots!

Might be better than Nish but that's a tad harsh on Deeks and Stokes. :greengrin

lintino17
26-08-2010, 10:09 PM

think they should have Stephens & Bamba have Hogg at right back for the time being till Hart is back, he played there a few games last season for cover think Murray is slow off the mark now & keep young Hanlon at left.

Dr Jimmy
27-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Might be better than Nish but that's a tad harsh on Deeks and Stokes. :greengrin[/QUOTE]

Oops!................but then again.....:cool2:

scottp1875
27-08-2010, 12:33 PM
murray and bamba. have always rated murray as CH