PDA

View Full Version : Scotland squad announced

patlowe
24-08-2010, 10:53 AM
here (http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1338&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=6379).

No place for Deek (obviously) but a recall for the Boston Strangler.

ancienthibby
24-08-2010, 10:55 AM
here (http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1338&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=6379).

No place for Deek (Obviously) but a recall for the Ipox Strangler.

Sorted:devil:

Geo_1875
24-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Levein has obviously been on the pish all weekend. How he can name every Scot at IPox in the squad after their performance on Sunday just proves what an arse he is.:grr::grr::grr: They can stick their Scotland team.

Hainan Hibs
24-08-2010, 10:58 AM
It saddens me that we have had to resort to recalling zimmer frame Davie Weir.

Levein can **** right off, calling up an English keeper over Neil Alexander.

bighairyfaeleith
24-08-2010, 10:59 AM
FFS David Weir?

Thats long term planning at it's best levein.

No UTD players this time though!!

Lofarl
24-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Room for granpa davie and the bearded lady. I see potter picked the headbutted sex offender too. Bolt potter ya puppet

Westie1875
24-08-2010, 11:01 AM
No surprise, Naismith should not be in ahead of Riordan or Goodwillie imo.

crewetollhibee
24-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Matt Gilks ? Who he ? :confused:

LancsHibs
Thought Levein was a good appointment when 1st made, now I think what a tool, total disaster, if we come close qualification with him in charge I will be shocked:bitchy:

Antifa Hibs
Yet people wonder why alot of folk couldn't give one flying **** about Scotland.

Paul Hartley, David Weir and Kirk Broadboat :bye:

MacBean
How on earth Steven Naismith gets into the squad before Derek Riordan I will never know!

Sir David Gray
24-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I stand by what I said last week after hearing Levein's disgraceful comments about Derek Riordan. Until the manager leaves, I couldn't care less what happens with Scotland.

LancsHibs
24-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Blackpool keeper, apparantly has a Scottish gran:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
24-08-2010, 11:15 AM

No place for Deek (obviously) but a recall for the Boston Strangler.

:faf::faf::faf:

SteveHFC
24-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Levein has obviously been on the pish all weekend. How he can name every Scot at IPox in the squad after their performance on Sunday just proves what an arse he is.:grr::grr::grr: They can stick their Scotland team.

:agree:

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 11:18 AM
It's selections like these and comments such as the ones we've had in the media recently, that always make me go from not caring to maliciously wanting Scotland to get gubbed. I'm so sad to feel that way about the national team, but I can't help it - everything about the international setup depresses me.

Toaods
24-08-2010, 11:19 AM

..although I wouldn't look out my window to see Levein's mob, I thought Gilks was quite impressive for Blackpool against us.

Judas Iscariot
24-08-2010, 11:21 AM
**** them..

Hope they get ****ed

Hibs90
24-08-2010, 11:25 AM
**** them..

Hope they get ****ed

Agreed.

matty_f
24-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Yet people wonder why alot of folk couldn't give one flying **** about Scotland.

Spot on. Potter said there was no room for passengers at international level. Can someone tell me when Hutton last kicked a ball competitively? Or Lee McCulloch?

Picking someone like Broadfoot and not picking Riordan (because of a daft notion that his work-rate isn't good enough, despite him knocking his pan in week in/week out for us) sums up exactly why Scottish fitba is as pish as it is.

Riordan is a footballer. A bloody good one at that. Broadfoot is a cumbersome huddy. Which one gets to represent their country?

****** off Levein, and take your sh**y fitba team with you.

Hibs Class
24-08-2010, 11:31 AM
It's selections like these and comments such as the ones we've had in the media recently, that always make me go from not caring to maliciously wanting Scotland to get gubbed. I'm so sad to feel that way about the national team, but I can't help it - everything about the international setup depresses me.

It is depressing, yet ironically I actually burst out laughing at work when I read that squad list. It's beyond baffling.

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Can't complain at that one. Good midfield player and hasn't had many bad games for Scotland.

pacorosssco
24-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I stand by what I said last week after hearing Levein's disgraceful comments about Derek Riordan. Until the manager leaves, I couldn't care less what happens with Scotland.
:top marks

Sadly I just cannot let Scotland go but I am deeply concerned at the pro rangers attitude levein is showing.

This is the least positive ive ever been and he has picked guys who arent regulars or considered first picks for their club teams ala Clubfoot and Mutton and Webster

His treatment of Riorden is disgraceful and if he ever does get a chance the pressure he will be under to perform will be unfair. Riorden means a chance of a goal from nothing. No other Scottish forward offers this.

What good has the young lad Kennerth gained from being called up . His confidence will be shot to pieces.

I was all for Levein but not happy with his his squads at all.

Charlie Adam do me a favour and hartley back in for scoring 3 penalties . Would have Darren Mackie been selected if he was Aberdeen penalty taker:grr:

hibbymac
24-08-2010, 11:34 AM
8 Rangers players , ....... An example of Levein making plans for when Uncle Walter moves out of the Ibrox hot seat. :bitchy:

LancsHibs
Spot on. Potter said there was no room for passengers at international level. Can someone tell me when Hutton last kicked a ball competitively? Or Lee McCulloch?

Picking someone like Broadfoot and not picking Riordan (because of a daft notion that his work-rate isn't good enough, despite him knocking his pan in week in/week out for us) sums up exactly why Scottish fitba is as pish as it is.

Riordan is a footballer. A bloody good one at that. Broadfoot is a cumbersome huddy. Which one gets to represent their country?

****** off Levein, and take your sh**y fitba team with you.

One of them plays for Rangers and one of them doesn't. Simples. FOL

1875er

Spot on FH.:agree::agree::agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Can those who are Scotland fans convince me why i should bother supporting them? I'm proud to be Scottish, but am i proud of the Scotland football team? Nah, the result means diddly squat to me now. I have a ticket for the Spain game at hampden, and if i'm honest i'm only going for the day out and the piss up before and after. When we lose, i wont give a toss, and will be eagerly awaiting the more important next Hibs game.

Liberal Hibby
24-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Agree (sadly). The problem I don't think is actually with the managers, but behind the scenes. I was depressed after Levein was appointed to hear that his job was according to the SFA to 'qualify for the Euro championship'.

What we need is for the SFA to say they don't want to qualify for the next Euros or World cup, but for the coach to get together the best young talent available and develop them as a unit.

Who cares if we just keep missing out on qualification with a mixture of old journeymen one or two decent players and the remainder of foreigners who once went fishing in the Tweed. I'd rather get thrashed for a few years and develop a decent squad that might eventually compete at an international level.

jgl07
24-08-2010, 11:39 AM
FFS David Weir?

Thats long term planning at it's best levein.

Aye but think of the cost savings.

He will be able to use his bus pass to get to home matches.

Thecat23
24-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Can those who are Scotland fans convince me why i should bother supporting them? I'm proud to be Scottish, but am i proud of the Scotland football team? Nah, the result means diddly squat to me now. I have a ticket for the Spain game at hampden, and if i'm honest i'm only going for the day out and the piss up before and after. When we lose, i wont give a toss, and will be eagerly awaiting the more important next Hibs game.

I agree 100% I refuse to follow Scotland now because of the farce that is the SFA, they need a clear out from the top and i'm sick to the back teeth of players who are, if your lucky on the fringe of teams getting ahead of good players like Derek. I for one don't care one bit if we lost all our games. Get the scottsh game sorted and rid it of the weegie bias and then i might take an interest again!!

Supraninja
24-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Can't wait to see us play Spain. I will be cheering the Spaniards.

Villa/Torres up against a grey haired turtle.

allezsauzee
24-08-2010, 11:44 AM
How on earth Steven Naismith gets into the squad before Derek Riordan I will never know!

Levein has a personal dislike of Riordan...thats why!

I still want my country to win though, even if the manager is a fud

poolman
24-08-2010, 11:45 AM
First time Iv'e ever thought this but, sadly, I couldnt give a flying one about this team at the moment

hibsbollah
24-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm getting to the stage where im pleased Riordan is not getting called up. He'd learn nothing from playing alongside the rest of the Scotland squad, it wont improve his game. Better he concentrates all his energies on his Hibs career.

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2010, 11:46 AM

So if a Hibs manager had made 'disgraceful comments' and you weren't happy with him, you wouldn't care less about Hibs until he left?

Pish. You are either a fan or you're not.

And I'll always be right behind Scotland no matter who is in charge, or who is picked.

hibee_girl
24-08-2010, 11:48 AM
So if a Hibs manager had made 'disgraceful comments' and you weren't happy with him, you wouldn't care less about Hibs until he left?

And I'll always be right behind Scotland no matter who is in charge, or who is picked.

For once I agree with you :greengrin

M11BMO
24-08-2010, 11:49 AM

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2010, 11:53 AM
For once I agree with you :greengrin

First time for everything :greengrin

.Sean.
24-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Ridiculous selections from that Jambo twat. Hartley? Weir? Deary ****ing me. Then he selects Naismith, a guy who has done hardly anything for 3 seasons over somebody like Riordan or Goodwillie? It's no wonder I don't give a ***** about the national side, am I hell giving my backing to an old firm/players whos granny once had a bite of haggis select.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Its opinions like that, that fail to recognise whats wrong with the game. People are falling out of love with the whole of football for all different reasons. We say the hearts fans have their head in the sand for ignoring whats going on with their club, the national team and those in charge are taking the piss out of us fans, yet you expect unconditional support? I once was a tartan army member, i still have my key ring for best supporters in the world cup in italy i think, but i'm not a fan anymore. I have been fed enough sheite, i wont eat it again.

hibsbollah
24-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Anyone But Scotland t-shirt anyone?:devil:

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Its opinions like that, that fail to recognise whats wrong with the game. People are falling out of love with the whole of football for all different reasons. We say the hearts fans have their head in the sand for ignoring whats going on with their club, the national team and those in charge are taking the piss out of us fans, yet you expect unconditional support? I once was a tartan army member, i still have my key ring for best supporters in the world cup in italy i think, but i'm not a fan anymore. I have been fed enough sheite, i wont eat it again.

So say all of us. It's not like supporting a club team whereby when you withdraw support from shi-ite they lose money and become more shi-ite, the setup is run by corrupt amateurs and their sycophants and to play the blind loyalty card is to simply endorse those losers and ensure nothing changes. Long since given up on them, and nothing short of a behind-the-scenes revolution could induce me to take any interest in the national side again.

johnbc70
24-08-2010, 12:18 PM
John Collins as the new SFA chief exec and a major clear out of the blazers in charge please.

Moody Mulder
24-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Agreed.

doubly agreed

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 12:22 PM
John Collins as the new SFA chief exec and a major clear out of the blazers in charge please.

Never going to happen, turkeys don't vote for xmas.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2010, 12:23 PM

It's not "pish" at all.

There's a huge difference between the two. I choose to support Hibs, I don't have another country to support.

I've never been a huge Scotland fan anyway but the way I feel about the SFA and Craig Levein, I wouldn't go and watch Scotland play, even supposing they were playing in my local park and the admission was free.

I fully stand by what I've said already, which is that I couldn't care less what happens with Scotland whilst Craig Levein is in charge because the selection process is clearly a stitch up.

I can't support someone, for example, who deliberately tried to get a Hibs player sent off by feigning a headbutt, just because they have a different jersey on. If you and others can then good for you, I just personally won't be part of that.

DCI Gene Hunt
24-08-2010, 12:24 PM
What a pish squad.

Iwelumo? Huddy.
Broadfoot? Huddy.
Hartley? *****g hell.
McGregor? Fanny.
McManus? Animal.
Naismith? Huddy.
Wallace?!? FFS.
Webster? Deary me.
Weir? :brickwall

A squad full of Huns, the occasional Tic and a couple of token Yams. Same old, same old, like a broken record.

I hope Scotland get gubbed. Judging by this keech squad that will be a likely outcome.

Gene

hibsbollah
24-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't have another country to support.

:confused: I pick one every world cup and euro championship. Slovenia in 2008 and South Korea in 2010. Works for me, you should try it.

aljo7-0
24-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm very proud to be Scottish and want Scotland to win every game they play, no matter who plays for them. Used to go to all the Scotland games I could with a crowd of mates but most of us no longer go. I no longer go to the games and to be honest have no particular desire to watch them on the telly either. I'll still want them to win right enough but have no real interest to watch or expectation that they will win. It's pretty much just Hibs now for me in terms of wanting to watch football.

Hiber-nation
24-08-2010, 12:30 PM
What a pish squad.

Iwelumo? Huddy.
Broadfoot? Huddy.
Hartley? *****g hell.
McGregor? Fanny.
McManus? Animal.
Naismith? Huddy.
Wallace?!? FFS.
Webster? Deary me.

A squad full of Huns, the occasional Tic and a couple of token Yams. Same old, same old, like a broken record.

I hope Scotland get gubbed. Judging by this keech squad that will be a likely outcome.

Gene

Agree with most of the others but who exactly would you have a left back other than Wallace?

Haven't looked at the squad but it looks like 14 centre halves, 16 huns and 7 injured players.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-08-2010, 12:31 PM
It saddens me that we have had to resort to recalling zimmer frame Davie Weir.

Levein can **** right off, calling up an English keeper over Neil Alexander.

the sooner Weir breaks an achillies or cruciate the better. End of him.:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
24-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Agree with most of the others but who exactly would you have a left back other than Wallace?

Haven't looked at the squad but it looks like 14 centre halves, 16 huns and 7 injured players.

Aye, silly grey stubble face Potter sure got his huns scattering sorted out. Again.

Carrick Hibs
24-08-2010, 12:36 PM
What a pish squad.

Iwelumo? Huddy.
Broadfoot? Huddy.
Hartley? *****g hell.
McGregor? Fanny.
McManus? Animal.
Naismith? Huddy.
Wallace?!? FFS.
Webster? Deary me.

Gene

so who would you pick ahead of these guys then?

i'll give you Broadfoot, Naismith and Weir as huddies but I cant think of anyone to replace the others unless you want Gary and Stephen Calamity at the back and David Marshall between the sticks?

New Corrie
24-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I just paid my deposit for a Scotland trip, wish I hadn't bothered, David Weir:grr:

Sergey
24-08-2010, 01:35 PM

So say all of us. It's not like supporting a club team whereby when you withdraw support from shi-ite they lose money and become more shi-ite, the setup is run by corrupt amateurs and their sycophants and to play the blind loyalty card is to simply endorse those losers and ensure nothing changes. Long since given up on them, and nothing short of a behind-the-scenes revolution could induce me to take any interest in the national side again.

Pretty sad reading. I'm also now at the 'I-really-couldn't-give-a-flying-one' stage. Broadfoot and Naismith simply make me despair.

How did Maloney not make it? Or Commons? Or Wallace of Burnley? Cowie of Watford? Conway at Utd? Deeks? FFS, even Burke at Cardiff is better.

This squad simply dispels any myth that the SFA even has a scouting system.

gillythehibby
24-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I said it last week and this just confirms my feelings about Scotland. I wouldny watch them with Stolen Mon ey !!
How the fk can naismith be playing ahead of Deeks? Levein mentioned Deeks work rate. If that's the case, how come Boyd is playing? He's a lazy B*****d, but you wouldn't leave him out as he is a goal scorer. FK OFF SCOTLAND !

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Pretty sad reading. I'm also now at the 'I-really-couldn't-give-a-flying-one' stage. Broadfoot and Naismith simply make me despair.

How did Maloney not make it? Or Commons? Or Wallace of Burnley? Cowie of Watford? Conway at Utd? Deeks? FFS, even Burke at Cardiff is better.

This squad simply dispels any myth that the SFA even has a scouting system.

Im afraid Im turning from Scotland fan to cannae gie a flying -uck, used to look forward to the squads being announced and debating the merits of players but this isnt even worth debating its a pretty pi5h poor team chosen by a hasbeen, looks like my Scotland days may well be numbered

(((Fergus)))
24-08-2010, 01:50 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this about my own country, but me too.

--------
24-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Absolutely, Bob. My sentiments exactly. Hate feeling this way, but.... :bitchy:

pacorosssco
24-08-2010, 01:56 PM
potters 11, a tribute to uncle walter

the cheat
clubfoot boston stangler the leg breaker wallace
3 penos make a player/ mcullouch(i dont want to play for burley)
brown fletcher(playmaker) mcfadden
kenny kin miller kris(workrate boyd)

(((Fergus)))
24-08-2010, 02:00 PM
It's not "pish" at all.

There's a huge difference between the two. I choose to support Hibs, I don't have another country to support.

I've never been a huge Scotland fan anyway but the way I feel about the SFA and Craig Levein, I wouldn't go and watch Scotland play, even supposing they were playing in my local park and the admission was free.

I fully stand by what I've said already, which is that I couldn't care less what happens with Scotland whilst Craig Levein is in charge because the selection process is clearly a stitch up.

I can't support someone, for example, who deliberately tried to get a Hibs player sent off by feigning a headbutt, just because they have a different jersey on. If you and others can then good for you, I just personally won't be part of that.

Nonsense. We're spoilt for choice:

Liechtenstein
Spain
Czech Republic
Lithuania

NOLA
24-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Liechtenstein
Spain
Czech Republic
Lithuania
:greengrin

ionahibby
24-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Will still support them but watching them on tv is as far as i go! Wont be going to any scotland games no longer to watch a rangers select :grr:

Makaveli
24-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Chalk up another one moving from "don't care" to "hope they get papped."

Part of me's always disliked the national team due to the weegie bias etc, but now I feel like they really deserve it.

heretoday
24-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Supporting Scotland is depressing and has been for several years. Everything to do with the international team - the turgid media coverage, the Glesca bias, the unconvincing remarks by the players (do they really care?) - turns me off.

The squad has such a familiar losing look about it - Weir? Iwelumo? You just know they are going to fail.

I'd like to see a team of keen under 21s in dark blue. some fresh names. They couldn't do any worse.

aberhibsfc
24-08-2010, 02:35 PM
He needs to magic up a pair from Spec Savers, I think there's more to this than Riordan's work rate.

I think Phanny Cotter is trying to ingratiate himself to the unwashed Jambo hoardes.

There is a decent grouping of Scotland strikers with not too much between them, but Riordan and have to admit Boyd are the most natural goalscorers Scotlands had for a long time and probably neither will play or either.

Scotland seem cursed in the belief that we need players who have legs and are all huff and puff, Gary Teale as an example. We don't have any sense of our worth.

Now I understand you have to have player movement etc to close down and drag opposition out of position, however if we do not afford ourselves the luxury of fielding players like Riordan who can score out of nothing, we will not get anywhere.

At the start I felt Levien would be a thorough student and well prepared coach for Scotland games, now it seems he may just be a more defensive version of the previous Jambo incumbent.

How a player like Broadfoot (top of his game is just alright) can get an RB slot before Whittaker is totally beyond me, he is an average CB and doesn't have the physique or mobility of a proper fullback. I'd play a right mid there before I'd play Broadfoot there. I understand Hutton hasn't had his problems to seek but if fit, is by far and away our best right back.

There are players available to Scotland that could make a real go of it, but they have to be fit, available and willing when needed.

This Gilks guy is all well and good, but he ain't going to oust McFaker or Plooky.

Pity that Andy Carroll KB us, he looks like he's going to do the business for Newcastle. I hope for his sake he doesn't become another Agbonlahor, turn their back on Scottish heritage, pledge themselves for one cap or so then get continually overlooked. Both are too good a player. Here's hoping he stays under England's radar but I doubt it.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I was planning on supporting Spain in the qualifiers anyway. The appointment of Levein and the 3 squads he has named thus far confirm this.

--------
24-08-2010, 03:05 PM
It's not "pish" at all.

Internationals are often described as 'representative' matches. So who does this particular squad 'represent'? It certainly doesn't represent ME.

Looking at an almost entirely Glasgow-centred SFA, with a manager whom I have always disliked intensely, an assistant manager who was quite simply one of the nastiest pieces of work I have ever seen on a football field, and a number of players who not only just aren't good enough, but who're being selected ahead of players better than them....

Scotland right now can go hang themselves as far as I care. :agree:

Bishop Hibee
24-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Levein has sacrificed flair for "solidity' from what I can make of the squad.

McCulloch in the squad is a joke given neither Maloney or Riordan didn't make it. That's my biggest complaint.

However I doubt Broadfoot would be in the squad if Hutton wasn't injured and Hartley wouldn't be in if Thomson wasn't injured. Similarly Webster wouldn't be in if Gary Caldwell was fit and that would mean Weir would be on the bench.

In defence of Naismith, he had a good game v Holland at home and with the likelihood of Steven Fletcher being injured gives Levein a similar player.

Players like Goram, Jimmy Johnstone etc have been given support in a Scotland shirt in spite of their misdemeanors off the pitch. I'll give whoever plays against Lichtenstein and Lithuania my full support as always when Scotland play.

Levein will 'live or die' as manager by these selections and I hope he's right.

.Sean.
24-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Liechtenstein
Spain
Czech Republic
Lithuania
:greengrin

Chalk up another one moving from "don't care" to "hope they get papped."

Part of me's always disliked the national team due to the weegie bias etc, but now I feel like they really deserve it.
Seconded.

For me, Gilks shouldn't be near the Scotland set-up. He is NOT Scottish. He's an average goalkeeper nobody had heard of a month ago. Kirk Broadfoot quite simply shouldn't be in the squad as he is absolutely garbage. He's in the squad purely as he's an employee of Glasgow Rangers. This applies to Naismith, a player who has done nothing in recent seasons except sit in the physio's room. If these two were at a non-Old-Firm club they wouldn't have been called up, I think we can all agree on that.

Davie Weir is old and passed it. I think he really will be 'found out' this season. His legs have gone, we can all see it so why can't Levein? I see no benefit at all in calling him up.

As for Paul Hartley... Jobs for the boys perhaps? Cracking player 4 or 5 years ago but should be nowhere near a national squad now. Does a hat-trick of penalties against the poorest side in the SPL honestly constitute an international call-up nowadays?

Chris Iwelumo is a journeyman with a really average scoring record. Now that he's fit again, playing at a high level and looking in fine shape Garry O'Connor should be in the squad ahead of him.

I've never really been too excited by international football. I find it quite boring to be honest. Standing at Hampden with Jambos, Huns etc really doesn't interest me. There are numerous players who've played for Scotland in recent years who i've disliked such as Pressley, Gordon, Hartley, Thomson, McGregor, Weir, Miller and Kris Boyd and that won't change because they're wearing a Scotland jersey.

Also with the current manager being a speccy, biased, SFA ass-sooking Hearts ******* my outlook on the national side won't be changing in the near future. I've never even attended a Scotland game and doubt I will. I'm a Hibby and cannot give my full support to players I dislike, simple as that. There are plenty others who share my sentiments.

Perhaps we'd feel different if the SFA had a pair of baws and finally got to grips with all that is wrong with the game in this country?

SvenNeil
24-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd put my mortgage on all the Huns pulling out :agree:

Nameless
24-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I gave up with Scotland when clubfoot was first called up. He is awful, and makes a mockery of the notion of a "national" select.

I'm lucky enough to have a very large welsh family, so it's the "land of my father" for me from now on.

Cymru am byth

Teuchter Hibbie
24-08-2010, 06:53 PM
no riordan, conway, goodwillie etc but lee mcculloch, weir, adam, and an english keeper along with another heap of rangers eejits?? :grr:

ScottB
24-08-2010, 06:55 PM
So Levein is sticking with a squad of players that failed to qualify for the World Cup, heavily amongst them a group of ageing players who definitely won't be anywhere near the squad or maybe even playing come 2012.

The time was right for a whole scale clear out, if Levein had stood up and said I want to promote a lot of promising youngsters / under 21s into the side, could be a risk as far as qualification goes but the time has come to focus on a new generation that will be around in 2012, 2014 and onwards. Then I'd have supported him. I'd have blooded the Wotherspoons, the Wilson's and co into the side to get them involved and experienced at that level. What about the likes of Barry Bannan at Aston Villa or the other decent young players.

Instead we have a bunch of huddies, past it has beens and guys who aren't even getting a game in Rangers weakest, smallest squad in living memory. Lee McCulloch has no business in a Scotland squad, Davie Weir, aside from the issues already discussed will not be around in the imminent future. His being there denies us the chance to blood new players. Iwelumno is mince, so is Kenny Miller at this level. Broadfoot is hopeless and when was the last time Stevie (I'll only play him if he gets a game at Rangers) Naismith played a game? To ignore strikers like Riordan, O'Connor, Goodwillie etc in favour of Miller, Iwelumno and Naismith is a nonsense. I can just about accept Hartley as he can play in a role that would be good for us at international level, but again I'd prefer younger players.

Seem almost back to the Craig Brown era, the same boring squad over and over until he's booted and the next guy is left with a bunch of untried youngsters and the cycle begins again.

We need a top manager, someone with the clout to rule with an iron fist, ignoring the SFA and the weegie press. Would be a dream if Sir Alex Ferguson could be persuaded to do it part time when he retires from Manchester United. I'd be happy with a part time appointment in general if we could get a top man in for the matches and have a full time assistant the rest of the time. No more of this hiring the most recently sacked Old Firm manager or who happens to be doing alright at another club.

Alfred E Newman
24-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I gave up on the Scotland team a long time ago, this squad underlines why.

Alex Trager
24-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Personally i dont like the manager or the fact he misses out on born talent - riordan or goodcock- and gives a place to an elder man who strangles people is beyond me. However i dont understand why people on this want them to get beat.. if you dont want to watch them after seeing such selections dont and dont take an interest in the results but why want them to get beat?

Saorsa
24-08-2010, 08:21 PM
After seeing that squad I dinnae think I'll even bother watching the games on the TV, **** of Potter :grr: :bye:

The_Todd
24-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank **** I was born and raised in Wales. David Weir? **** off!

I know Scotland aren't blessed with a large talent pool like other nations, thanks mostly to being a small country, but why consistently call up the same old garbage who try but fail time and time again?

David **** Weir. Ha ha ha!

heidtheba
24-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I agree 100% I refuse to follow Scotland now because of the farce that is the SFA, they need a clear out from the top and i'm sick to the back teeth of players who are, if your lucky on the fringe of teams getting ahead of good players like Derek. I for one don't care one bit if we lost all our games. Get the scottsh game sorted and rid it of the weegie bias and then i might take an interest again!!

And me - couldn't give a monkeys about the Old Firm Select...sad to say, remember the days when kids in playgrounds would 'be' Souness, Goram, Dalgleish or even McCoist...?

Can't say I'd put money on the kids of today fighting over who would 'be' Kirk Broadfoot... (is it just me or does that name remind me of the start of 'Lord of the Rings'?) or Lee McCulloch. And at least we now know that any kid who gets into an (unlikely) fight to 'be' MacGregor will go down like a sack of tatties

Albion Hibs
24-08-2010, 08:46 PM
First time I have seen the squad holly ....! Previously I kind of understood what leven was saying in relation to deek not being in the squad, however, when you look at some of the Joey's he has found on his boring mans summer holiday tour of lower league England, I just cant understand why he is not giving him a chance :confused:

Perhaps he is doing this on purpose, maybe he wants to get back to club football and begin assembling his newest team to giant huddies.

PISTOL1875
24-08-2010, 08:52 PM
What a pish squad.

Iwelumo? Huddy.
Broadfoot? Huddy.
Hartley? *****g hell.
McGregor? Fanny.
McManus? Animal.
Naismith? Huddy.
Wallace?!? FFS.
Webster? Deary me.

Gene

Iwelumo? Not a bad player..
Broadfoot? Huddy.
Hartley? *****g hell.
McGregor? Fanny but if Gordon is injured then who else is there ?? You want to see David Marshall in goals..

McManus? Utter pish...
Naismith? Done eff all since he went to Ipox...
Wallace?!? Are you having a laugh ?? He's a brilliant player that will go far in the game...
Webster? Deary me.

jane_says
24-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Thought Levein was a good appointment when 1st made, now I think what a tool, total disaster, if we come close qualification with him in charge I will be shocked:bitchy:
:agree:
my thoughts exactly

snooky
24-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Song for Potter - "Levein on a Jet Plane"
....and as soon as possible please + take that pool of dross with you.
:bye:

Albanian Hibs
25-08-2010, 05:16 AM
I am so glad I gave up with SSC membership last year.

Levein GTF :bye:

lucky
25-08-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm not a Scotland fan but i proud of being Scots/British but why do Hibs fans boo/abuse most players in this squad when we play them then travel all over dressed up in kilts and faced painted to support them? I have never understood the Tartan army mentality.

Harry Potter has always liked big strong hoofer's. His footballing philosophy is 0-0 and try scrape a goal. So is it any surprise with squad he has picked?

Sandy
25-08-2010, 06:47 AM
To say I am p1ssed off is an understatement. I am home for 2 of the qualifiers and am an SSC member, I will NOT be going to watch either. That selection is a disgrace. I will always want my national team to win, but with that squad we will get gubbed :grr: I hope Levein gets the bullet ASAP.

Sandy
25-08-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm not a Scotland fan but i proud of being Scots/British but why do Hibs fans boo/abuse most players in this squad when we play them then travel all over dressed up in kilts and faced painted to support them? I have never understood the Tartan army mentality.

Harry Potter has always liked big strong hoofer's. His footballing philosophy is 0-0 and try scrape a goal. So is it any surprise with squad he has picked?

You have answered your own question with the highlighted bits, but in case you can't quite grasp it, it is called uniting behind your country. You have obviously never travelled with the TA, if you had you would understand.

AndyM_1875
25-08-2010, 07:04 AM
To say I am p1ssed off is an understatement. I am home for 2 of the qualifiers and am an SSC member, I will NOT be going to watch either. That selection is a disgrace. I will always want my national team to win, but with that squad we will get gubbed :grr: I hope Levein gets the bullet ASAP.

I'm also an SSC member. I like going to Hampden to watch Scotland but.......
this squad is truly depressing.
Davie Weir..... good player in his time but should have been left to finish his club career with a bit of dignity. The thought of Scotland going up against Torres and Villa with a 40 year old centre back and his comedy pal McManus just horrifies me. We'll get away with it against Liechtenstein and Lithuania (probably) but against Spain? Or the Czechs with their mobile nimble forward and midfield players? I think not.

Non footballers like McCulloch who specialise in assaulting people and Broadfoot being picked is staggering. But the one that really grates on me is the ommission of Derek Riordan who finds both Naismith and Iwelumo in ahead of him. Derek is one player who can create a goal out of nothing just like James Mcfadden and he can probably look forward to getting picked again in Autumn 2012 when Levein is gone. Derek could score 25 goals this seasonfor Hibs, he still won't get picked.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 07:40 AM
You have answered your own question with the highlighted bits, but in case you can't quite grasp it, it is called uniting behind your country. You have obviously never travelled with the TA, if you had you would understand.

I have been a member of the TA, but now i am so disillusioned with things i wont travel away again in the foreseeable future. I cant support that hun keeper, i cant support grandad weir. In fact i cant support any of the tossers that played against us on Sunday.

I also cant support a regime thats corrupt to the core, one so heavily balanced in the old firms favour its scary. Outsiders if they took the time to study it, would not believe whats going on in our game.

I also cant support this managers team selection, and his thinking behind it. A combination of all that is driving fans like me away. I'd imagine i'm not alone?

HibbyRod
25-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Whilst agreeing wholeheartedly re. the ridiculous selections by Levein, and the obvious bias/pandering to the OF/Hearts/anti-Hibs thing.......I just cannot want anything other than wanting Scotland to win.

I understand the anger and disappointment felt by most who have posted on this thread, however, Scotland is Scotland no matter who is representing us as a nation.

We all wish for the same thing, that is players being picked on merit and commitment, etc. Hopefully, in time, we may get this but, in the meantime, I will always want Scotland to win at any sport.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Whilst agreeing wholeheartedly re. the ridiculous selections by Levein, and the obvious bias/pandering to the OF/Hearts/anti-Hibs thing.......I just cannot want anything other than wanting Scotland to win.

I understand the anger and disappointment felt by most who have posted on this thread, however, Scotland is Scotland no matter who is representing us as a nation.

We all wish for the same thing, that is players being picked on merit and commitment, etc. Hopefully, in time, we may get this but, in the meantime, I will always want Scotland to win at any sport.

I don't want them to lose, i want them to win. Although i don't get anywhere near the buzz when they do win now. And when they get beat, i don't give a toss. I bet I'm in the majority with these feelings now.

patlowe
25-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I am so sick of this Scotland team. I honestly believe that there are a sprinkling of Scottish players around good enough to make a decent, innovative and attacking side. Instead, we'll be treated to the same mediocre faces, the same percentage football we've been subjected to for years and a predictable 3rd place finish. Scotland will be humped 3-0 in the important matches away and will win the odd home game through a mixture of the Hampden crowd and 'get intae them' tactics. It's all so dull.

We should accept that we don't have a chance of qualifying for 2012 and build for 2014. Can we not work on a style of football that allows our creative players to play, while maintaining our physical nature? This defensive rubbish isn't going to work at international level, our defenders are slow, old and simply gash! Riordan, Commons, McFadden, Maloney, Hutton, Wallace, the Fletchers, Brown, Thomson, Dorrans, Burke, McCormack etc, there is talent there. There are also young players coming through (Wotherspoon, Wilson, McArthur etc) that can add to that. But these players are not going to flourish at international level if forced to play a hyper-negative style of football. Look at Darren Fletcher, it's like he plays in a straitjacket for Scotland.

FAO people questioning the selection of Miller: did you watch the game on Sunday?

As a side note, it doesn't help that two of the most technically gifted players we've developed in years play for Ireland.

euro Hibby
25-08-2010, 10:42 AM
always been a club before country but even more so now when you see how football is run in Scotland. I think Levin is over rated as a manager but then agaijn he's got the qualifying games to prove us all wrong !

Frazerbob
25-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Sandy, I have travelled all over supporting Scotland since my first away games in 1996. Despite all my mates still going to every game I have decided to I can't support this team any longer. I would find it very difficult to give guys like McGregor my backing after recent events and find some of the squad selections disgraceful.

My away points total has fallen from 9 to 4 in recent months and the only TA trips I have booked are the Celtic Cup matches in Dublin (purely for the bevvy).

I honestly thought Levein would be a man of honour and a breath of fresh air. I now fear he will be the worst, most spineless Scotland manager EVER.

Steve20
25-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Hope they get ***ed and I am sure they will in this group.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Sandy, I have travelled all over supporting Scotland since my first away games in 1996. Despite all my mates still going to every game I have decided to I can't support this team any longer. I would find it very difficult to give guys like McGregor my backing after recent events and find some of the squad selections disgraceful.

My away points total has fallen from 9 to 4 in recent months and the only TA trips I have booked are the Celtic Cup matches in Dublin (purely for the bevvy).

I honestly thought Levein would be a man of honour and a breath of fresh air. I now fear he will be the worst, most spineless Scotland manager EVER.

If its getting to fans like you mate, then there is a big problem. Although i think most of us can see that. :boo hoo:

Frazerbob
25-08-2010, 11:03 AM
If its getting to fans like you mate, then there is a big problem. Although i think most of us can see that. :boo hoo:

Would never go as far as to want them to lose however and will be at the Spain game at Hampden (although that is maybe to see the World Champions rather than Scotland).

I also have to admit that going to places like Lithuania for the umpteenth time doesn't fill me with excitement anymore. Had the group included some more exotic trips I may well have booked up.

The Harp Awakes
25-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Levein is a prize plum. I too am finished with the Scotland team. Used to love the away games but
not going to waste my time and cash going to watch a bunch of 3rd rate Huns, quite a few
of whom have turned their back on their country and shouldn't have been given a 2nd chance.

essexhibee
25-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Done with the scotland team. Levein is a numpty and the selections are baffling. Good luck to Davie Weir when he comes up against Villa and Torres. ****ing Lee McCulloch against Xavi?

Embarrassing manager.

Sandy
26-08-2010, 08:34 AM

I totally agree with all you say Fraz mate, the point I was trying and failing to make was at the original jibe of 'how can you boo certain players when they play for Heart/Rangers etc, and then wear a kilt and paint your face.......' . I am as disgusted as you with regards to the current Scotland squad, and will not be going to either of the games during my time back in Scotland, despite renewing my SSC membership knowing full well that I would be out here for most of the games.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Well now that all the TA diehards have become as alienated as me, it forces me to defend CL and his team selection.

Yes, he's gone for experience, but who can say old warhorse Davie Weir doesn't have the savy to see off the likes of Torres and Villa?

You need Hartley in the middle to use his experience to counter Inesta and Xabi.

And if Gary Naismith can rediscover the form he showed eight years ago when he was a stick-out for six months in that Kilmarnock side, then the Spanish defence could be in for a torid time.

Yes, it really is that difficult.

The_Todd
26-08-2010, 01:40 PM
You're quite right, DBS. I reckon David Weir will easily get to grips with Villa and Torres. By the throat, possibly.

DCI Gene Hunt
26-08-2010, 02:09 PM
You're quite right, DBS. I reckon David Weir will easily get to grips with Villa and Torres. By the throat, possibly.

Presumably, yes.

Failing that, Allan McGregor's bint will no doubt give them a good beating. :take that

Gene

.Sean.
26-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Although i've never been massively interested in the Scotland national side, being Scottish i've wanted them to do well.

Craig Levein has changed my view completely. Awful, awful selections, bang out of order and derisory comments about Riordan and his failure to condemn McGregor's antics have been the final straw. I hope his squad of journeymen, old men, Huns, huddies and the englishman get ****ing pumped. Levein's always been a creepy, odious Hearts fud anyway, we really shouldn't have expected anything different.