PDA

View Full Version : NHC Javier Mascherano?

Captain Trips
24-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Can somebody tell me what the big deal and fuss is with this guy as a player?, I really do not see it at all.

HenryMonk
24-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Are you blind?

Perfect example of a holding midfield player. He can tackle, pass, run and dribble. And very tough player!

Liverpool missed him lastnight and will struggle without him.

Captain Trips
24-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Are you blind?

Perfect example of a holding midfield player. He can tackle, pass, run and dribble. And very tough player!

No, im not, just think he isnt as good as people make out, and thats why I asked.

HibeeSince85
24-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Are you blind?

Liverpool miss Alonso and have struggled without him. Mascherano is a good player but he's not integral to the way Liverpool play. Alonso was.

easty
24-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Liverpool miss Alonso and have struggled without him. Mascherano is a good player but he's not integral to the way Liverpool play. Alonso was.

They're very different types of player though, Alonso was very much a playmaker, Mascherano is a spoiler, a very very good one. There's not many top class players like that about. I think it takes a lot of discipline for someone playing at the highest level to limit themselves to playing the way Mascherano does, cos he is actually pretty good on the ball. If Man Utd had Mascherano they'd be outstanding, they dont have a player anywhere near as good as him in thier midfield that can protect the defence and let all thier good attacking midfielders (Valencia, Nani, Giggs, Scholes) go do thier thing.

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2010, 11:18 AM
They're very different types of player though, Alonso was very much a playmaker, Mascherano is a spoiler, a very very good one. There's not many top class players like that about. I think it takes a lot of discipline for someone playing at the highest level to limit themselves to playing the way Mascherano does, cos he is actually pretty good on the ball. If Man Utd had Mascherano they'd be outstanding, they dont have a player anywhere near as good as him in thier midfield that can protect the defence and let all thier good attacking midfielders (Valencia, Nani, Giggs, Scholes) go do thier thing.

Yes they do, his name is Darren Fletcher.

HibeeSince85
24-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah I know they play different roles but Mascherano to me anyway would not be missed anywhere near Alsonso is, I'm not a Liverpool fan by the way and I am only going on watching them through their live games/highlights.

Mascherano could be replaced, don't believe he is as good as some make out, and to be honest the only club so far to make a real interest in him is a club being bossed by Rafa.

easty
24-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes they do, his name is Darren Fletcher.

Ha! Not nearly the same class as Mascherano, that's like comparing a night of good lovin' with Megan Fox to being raped by Ken Dodd!

Hibs Class
24-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd sooner have Alonso in my team than Mascherano. Mascherano is very effective at what he does, but I've always thought of him as a thug more than anything else

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Ha! Not nearly the same class as Mascherano, that's like comparing a night of good lovin' with Megan Fox to being raped by Ken Dodd!

Not nearly the same class? Who is the first name on the Utd team sheet in big big games? Fletcher.

Why? Because he is a class act. He screens the defence brilliantly, brings others into play and is good for a few goals each season too.

HibeeSince85
24-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Not nearly the same class? Who is the first name on the Utd team sheet in big big games? Fletcher.

Why? Because he is a class act. He screens the defence brilliantly, brings others into play and is good for a few goals each season too.

:agree: Ole Gunner however you spell his second name said before the Sweeden v Scotland friendly that Utd build their team around Fletcher now, as should Scotland.

Barman Stanton
24-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Are you being serious? Fletcher is World Class at the postion he plays for Man Utd. He generally never does it in a Scotland strip as we try to turn him into a playmaker!

Speedway
24-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Can somebody tell me what the big deal and fuss is with this guy as a player?, I really do not see it at all.

That's largely due to the unseen work he does.

hibee-shtuggie
24-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Right i'm sorry, but in the words of Naveed from Still Game, it's safe to assume you are talking p**h here. javier macherano is to be sold for around 15m i hear(Liverpool are holding out for 21m though). How much do you honestly think Fletcher would be sold for from Man U. 25M AT LEAST. you see all the fuss about Scholes of late (warranted fuss), well he wouldn't be able to complete all those passes and pick defences apart without Darren Fletcher alongside him. he does all his running for him, tracking back, breaking up play. he is honestly one of the first names down on the teamsheet. i think you are still caught up in the fuss of a few years ago when man u fans said he was worth 1p...wouldn't hear them say that now i reckon. he is quality. oh and in your analogy, if macherano is like sleeping with Megan fox...Darren Fletcher is definatley Cheryl Tweedy

lyonhibs
24-08-2010, 12:04 PM

:faf::faf:

Gies peace. The most successful EPL manager EVER would beg to differ. Fletcher and Mascherano aren't just high energy heidless chickens, they've got that side to their game, but add on the fact they can pass, tackle, take no ***** from anyone and - in Fletcher's case at least - are good for 4-5 goals a season.

Hibs would kill to have Darren Fletcher's one legged, half-blind brother playing DM.

The problem for Fletcher at Scotland is that everyone, fans, media and probably team-mates sees him as one of the 1st names on the Man U teamsheet, and just ASSUMES they can pass him the ball and sit back in wonder. That's not Fletcher's game at all, and - especially since Brown's regression at Celtc - he's got no-one even remotely in the same area code of quality to partner him in central midfield,

This leads to the conclusion from the hard of thinking that "Fletcher is pure shiete for Scotland", whereas the fundamental truth is that "Scotland are shiete for Fletcher, and just in general as well"

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 12:13 PM

:faf:

Happiness. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Hibs would kill to have Darren Fletcher's one legged, half-blind brother playing DM.

I don't think Wolves would let him go without a fight.

Dunbar Hibee
24-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Mascherano is nowhere near as good as Darren Fletcher!! Hence why Mascherano players for a **** club , and Fletcher plays for a great club.

easty
24-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Right, I'm no saying Fletcher is piss (he's the best player Scotland have), I'm saying he's nowhere near as good as Mascherano. I stand by that, if Fletcher was Welsh nobdoy would be arguing that with me. Plenty players have played for Man Utd that have been nothing more than decent players under Ferguson, Nicky Butt was at one point an essential member of that midfield, a distinctly average player. Lee Sharpe, Phil Neville.

hibee-shtuggie
24-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Right, I'm no saying Fletcher is piss (he's the best player Scotland have), I'm saying he's nowhere near as good as Mascherano. I stand by that, if Fletcher was Welsh nobdoy would be arguing that with me. Plenty players have played for Man Utd that have been nothing more than decent players under Ferguson, Nicky Butt was at one point an essential member of that midfield, a distinctly average player. Lee Sharpe, Phil Neville.

Fletcher could be from the moon and he would still be better than Macherano. what is all this fuss about him. take it from me, your in for an argument from this lot! :greengrin

HibeeSince85
24-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Mascherano isny as good a football player as Fletcher, there is no much else to it to be honest.

Honestly his nationality doesny come into it, you not seen the Scotland squad thread, most couldnae care anyway.

easty
24-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Fletcher could be from the moon and he would still be better than Macherano. what is all this fuss about him. take it from me, your in for an argument from this lot! :greengrin

Never. I prefer Man Utd to Liverpool, I'd more often than not be biased towards Scots players, Mascherano is way better than Fletcher though.

I'll drop it though. You can only disagree about anything whatsoever so many times without being "outed" as a yam on this board!

Owain_1987
24-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Never. I prefer Man Utd to Liverpool, I'd more often than not be biased towards Scots players, Mascherano is way better than Fletcher though.

I'll drop it though. You can only disagree about anything whatsoever so many times without being "outed" as a yam on this board!

I will not call you a Yam but I really don't see where you are coming from? Do you like Liverpool? Do you hate Man UTD? Do you hate our national side? I am sure most people would say Fletcher is a better player just for the fact he does not lose his head in the big games and apart from once or twice always plays well in big games and can be relied on. He also scores a few goals just to mix it up. To me he is one of the best midfielders in the premiership up there with Gerrard and Lampard.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't think there's much in it between both players. Both are very good stoppers, who then give it to those who can play a bit. Thats where it all falls apart for Fletcher when playing for his national team.

Owain_1987
24-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't think there's much in it between both players. Both are very good stoppers, who then give it to those who can play a bit. Thats where it all falls apart for Fletcher when playing for his national team.

My argument for saying Fletcher is better would be he does not lose his head as much and get stupid red cards.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 01:42 PM
My argument for saying Fletcher is better would be he does not lose his head as much and get stupid red cards.

I was not assessing their temperament just their football ability, and their is nothing much between them.

jdships
24-08-2010, 01:42 PM

:thumbsup:
Good post :agree:

Cropley10
24-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Much of the hype surrounding Mascherano comes from the fact that Maradona built his Argentina team around him IMO.

I'm another one who doesn't see what all the fuss is about either, but I only watch him on the TV, and usually the highlights [I wouldn't watch Liverpool play live if they were playing on the Meadows for free}:cool2:

Pretty Boy
24-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I was not assessing their temperament just their football ability, and their is nothing much between them.

I agree although i'd say the 5 or 6 goals a season Fletcher contributes probably gives him the edge on Mascherano.