PDA

View Full Version : England's World Cup Bid

Septimus
24-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Nick Clegg yesterday informed us that the whole nation is behind the English bid for the World Cup. Frankly I could not care less if England get the World Cup or not. Already we see British money being poured into the London Olympic venue while cuts are imposed on things which seem somehow to be more important.

Nick Clegg does not speak for "the whole nation" but an increasingly marginalised minority.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Nick Clegg yesterday informed us that the whole nation is behind the English bid for the World Cup. Frankly I could not care less if England get the World Cup or not. Already we see British money being poured into the London Olympic venue while cuts are imposed on things which seem somehow to be more important.

Nick Clegg does not speak for "the whole nation" but an increasingly marginalised minority.

:top marks F*** them.

Hibby Bairn
24-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Have to say I think it would be brillliant if England hosted the World Cup. I really hope they get it.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Have to say I think it would be brillliant if England hosted the World Cup. I really hope they get it.

:agree: Same here.

I'd imagine those that don't want England to get it are in the minority TBH.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 06:58 AM

Never been happier to be in one.

Hainan Hibs
24-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I hope they don't. A World Cup in Russia would be quite different, trips to Belgium and the Netherlands would be interesting to say the least, and a summer in Spain would be fantastico.

England? Having "FOOTBALL'S CAAAAMING HOME" stuff down our throats for the years before it? **** that for a laugh.

JE89
24-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Definately want them to get it. Book the buses/trains/flights early and it'd be pretty cheap and lets face it, their stadiums are up there with the worlds best.

Gatecrasher
24-08-2010, 07:22 AM

i agree with you guys, if they get it i will probably go and take a few games in as well :thumbsup:

Gettin' Auld
24-08-2010, 07:27 AM

:top marks

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Our tax quids are already rebuilding the whole of East London in the name of sport. Now we're expected to upgrade English stadiums and infrastructure up and down that country, and suffer more one-side propaganda for an already cash-rich and quality poor league, while our domestic game rots away in the backwater slum of Hampden Park?

Nein danke.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Whilst I've not got much time for either of them, putting the "2nd in command" forward to meet the people who will ultimately be responsible for deciding where the competition will be hosted instead of The PM could well be a serious misjudgement on The Governments part.

HibeePaj
24-08-2010, 07:43 AM
would be fantastic if England get the World Cup,, fantastic support for Scotland WHEN we qualify.. and if we dont qualify imagine alot of Scots will be going down to try and catch a few games.. Its the closest the World Cup is ever going to be to Scotland so why not enjoy it :agree:,,, unless ofcourse the unthinkable was to happen..:rolleyes:

Hibby Bairn
24-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Hutchy...it was just a technical inspection visit re stadia, infrastructure etc. None of the FIFA decision making committee are involved hence why Clegg and not PM. Having said that Putin did roll out the red carpet when they visited Russia. Russia seem favourites at the mo and Franz Becks' strong influence seems to be against England and for Russia.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-08-2010, 08:24 AM
**** them I say, any excuse to get in the back door without having to qualify and really hate to live in this country and have to listen to endless crap about 66 and all that again, we won't qualify with Harry Potter in charge thats for sure so I'm 100% against it, mon the Russkies :greengrin

basehibby
24-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I couldn't really give a flying one whether they get it or not, which is how the majority of Scots/Welsh/N. Irish probably feel - so to say "the nation" is 100% behind it is a complete fabrication - unless of course by "the nation" he actually means England. And here was me thinking that as deputy PM he represented the whole of the UK :hmmm:.

What I DO give a sheight about is making sure that if THEY do get the WC that THEY should bloody well pay for it. I fail to see how spending billions of pounds on upgrading English football grounds and English infrastructure benefits Scotland one iota.

In fact I'd go further by saying that inflating the already over-bloated wealth and reputation of the game down south can do nothing but harm to the game north of the border. Our clubs already suffer by comparison to the corpulent wages on offer down there with even the bloated Old Firm struggling to compete with English clubs the size of Motherwell for wages and signing on fees.

So - what I'd like to see if the English do get the WC is safeguards put in place to ensure that us Scots don't have to pay a bent penny towards it - we sure as hell won't reap any benefits so let the English pay for it themselves with cuts to THEIR services/jobs etc.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I couldn't really give a flying one whether they get it or not, which is how the majority of Scots/Welsh/N. Irish probably feel - so to say "the nation" is 100% behind it is a complete fabrication - unless of course by "the nation" he actually means England. And here was me thinking that as deputy PM he represented the whole of the UK :hmmm:.

What I DO give a sheight about is making sure that if THEY do get the WC that THEY should bloody well pay for it. I fail to see how spending billions of pounds on upgrading English football grounds and English infrastructure benefits Scotland one iota.

In fact I'd go further by saying that inflating the already over-bloated wealth and reputation of the game down south can do nothing but harm to the game north of the border. Our clubs already suffer by comparison to the corpulent wages on offer down there with even the bloated Old Firm struggling to compete with English clubs the size of Motherwell for wages and signing on fees.

So - what I'd like to see if the English do get the WC is safeguards put in place to ensure that us Scots don't have to pay a bent penny towards it - we sure as hell won't reap any benefits so let the English pay for it themselves with cuts to THEIR services/jobs etc.

:top marks Telling it how it is, Base H.

DCI Gene Hunt
24-08-2010, 08:50 AM
World Cup in England - yep, 100% behind it, as long as England (and only England) pays for it. :agree:

Gene Genie

Woody1985
24-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I think it would be great for them to have it. I'd still want them to get humped though.

How has other sporting events been divided up i.e. the Glasgow Commonwealth games. Were they funded solely from Scottish budgets? If so, England should pay for the WC from their own budget.

MacBean
24-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Our tax quids are already rebuilding the whole of East London in the name of sport. Now we're expected to upgrade English stadiums and infrastructure up and down that country, and suffer more one-side propaganda for an already cash-rich and quality poor league, while our domestic game rots away in the backwater slum of Hampden Park?

Nein danke.

:agree:

although Bob, you have to admit, pumping England in their own back yard would be nice :greengrin

Woody1985
24-08-2010, 09:05 AM
After what I just said, I read that they're bid is 'unbeatable', probably a bit like Hearts when they were unbeatable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8934838.stm

LancashireHibby
24-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Getting the World Cup would be great and would have far a bigger 'legacy' than the East London Olympics (and I suspect at a cheaper cost to the taxpayer as well with many of the stadiums already in place).

Franck is God
24-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I'd love to see England get the World Cup, they already have some of the best stadiums in the world and realistically the money to be invested will be quite limited compared to the amount of money raised by the event itself and the boost to the UK economy.

Hopefully we can qualify too, will make it really easy to get to games.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 09:13 AM
:agree:

although Bob, you have to admit, pumping England in their own back yard would be nice :greengrin

And also, as mediocre as they are, pretty much impossible with Potter and the current bunch of deadbeats we have wearing the Scotland jersey's.

Cammy
24-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I haven't read anything about the proposed venues etc but could Hibs not benefit if they were to rent out East Mains training facilities for such an event to teams possibly playing at a venue in the north east of England?

Personally couldn't care less whether the World Cup is held in England or not, so I must also being in the growing minority.:wink:

Woody1985
24-08-2010, 10:21 AM
For those who couldn't care...

Would you not love to have world cup games with some of the best players on the planet a two hours car journey or an hours flight away. :confused:

marinello59
24-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Nein danke.

:top marks

southfieldhibby
24-08-2010, 10:31 AM
There's alot to be said for England getting to host the WC.Most of the stadium are already in place and others (like a new anfield/white hart lane) would be rebuilt before that time at the sole expense of the club.
The road infrastructure is pretty much there, as is rail and air links.
The economic benefits to The UK would be significant, people would stay in Scotland/Wales and travel to matches in England.
Teams would be looking for high quality training facilities and East Mains would be an attractive one, close to major city and airport
Pre-tournament warm up matches, ER would be a potential venue.
Seeing England build themsleves into a frenzy then fail to get past the 1/4's

It's nothing like the Olympics really, where everything is London(ish) based, the whole nation (even Scotland) gets an economic boost, and if Scotland qualified, we'd be the best supported team there, including England.

I say give it to them.

Antifa Hibs
24-08-2010, 10:43 AM
For those who couldn't care...

Would you not love to have world cup games with some of the best players on the planet a two hours car journey or an hours flight away. :confused:

World cup, champions league, premier league. They're all a load of bollocks now. Nothing like they once were. They're not for us anymore, they're for budweiser, visa, sony and mcdonalds and whoever else will offer Fifa billions, for the rich and wealthy.

Football 'the peoples game'. The world cup 'uniting great nations together in the name of football'. The World Cup just past we had South Africans having to pay half a months wage for one ticket and had stewards going on strike because they only got half they wages they were promised. Meanwhile Fifa, a non-profit organization walked away with a tidy sum of $1billion.

Could they not have made it a UK bid. Allow the use of the millenium stadium, hampden/ibrox/parkhead, murrayfield and a new Winsor Park or something, share the billions all over the UK not just keep it in London..?

Sir David Gray
24-08-2010, 10:56 AM

:agree: That's exactly what he means. This is up there with David Cameron replacing the Union Flag above 10 Downing Street with the flag of St George for the duration of the World Cup in support of the English team at South Africa because, again, he was sure that the "whole nation" would be screaming "Come on England". :bye:

It is quite typical of a lot of English people to refer to England as the "whole country" when they really mean the UK. It's no wonder that we then get people from across Europe, the USA and several other places referring to the UK as just England.

The rest of your post is spot on as well, by the way. If England wishes to hold the World Cup, England should pay for it and Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish taxpayers should pay for sod all because there will be absolutely no benefits brought in to any of those countries through England hosting the World Cup.

You can bet your boots though that there will be financial implications for us up here and at a time when Scottish football really is on its last legs, it really would be a kick in the teeth to see our already rich footballing neighbours south of the border getting even more wealthy, particularly when we would be helping to part-fund it.

Hibs On Tour
24-08-2010, 11:36 AM
World cup, champions league, premier league. They're all a load of bollocks now. Nothing like they once were. They're not for us anymore, they're for budweiser, visa, sony and mcdonalds and whoever else will offer Fifa billions, for the rich and wealthy.

Football 'the peoples game'. The world cup 'uniting great nations together in the name of football'. The World Cup just past we had South Africans having to pay half a months wage for one ticket and had stewards going on strike because they only got half they wages they were promised. Meanwhile Fifa, a non-profit organization walked away with a tidy sum of $1billion.

Could they not have made it a UK bid. Allow the use of the millenium stadium, hampden/ibrox/parkhead, murrayfield and a new Winsor Park or something, share the billions all over the UK not just keep it in London..?

Think that's something the SFA are against because they fear it would be a reason Uefa might use towards a British team rather than the constituant nations...

southfieldhibby
24-08-2010, 11:58 AM
If England wishes to hold the World Cup, England should pay for it and Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish taxpayers should pay for sod all because there will be absolutely no benefits brought in to any of those countries through England hosting the World Cup.

I dont go along with that.So no-one who visits England for The WC would venture into Scotland/Wales/NI?

All revenues raised during The WC from people spending money creates higher VAT returns, it goes into central govt, anything VAT payable during that month goes into the pot.

People will visit the other UK countries if England get the WC, they will spend their money here, we will see the benefits.

I also doubt the govt would have to spend much in getting England ready to host, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a cost worth bearing.

Short sighted, anti english attitudes on display here (not just you), pretty sad really.

southfieldhibby
24-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Didnt realise London was bidding to host the WC, the WC commitee must have been confused when they went to Newcastle/Birmingham/Manchester/Nottingham etc

The Billions would be shared throughout England, with the knock-on effect felt in The UK at large.

I'm really surprised at the dumbed-down anti-English ignorant feel on this thread

CropleyWasGod
24-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I dont go along with that.So no-one who visits England for The WC would venture into Scotland/Wales/NI?

All revenues raised during The WC from people spending money creates higher VAT returns, it goes into central govt, anything VAT payable during that month goes into the pot.

People will visit the other UK countries if England get the WC, they will spend their money here, we will see the benefits.

I also doubt the govt would have to spend much in getting England ready to host, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a cost worth bearing.

Short sighted, anti english attitudes on display here (not just you), pretty sad really.

I have to agree with you. Whilst we have a central taxation system, we have collective costs and benefits. We all pay and benefit equally in a tax sense.

Scotland benefits from tax revenues in the South of England, just as Cornwall benefits from those in Scotland.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Please spare us the same trickle-down economics bulls*** we've heard trotted out for the last thirty years. The benefactors will solely be England. Not many people who have spent a fortnight to a month shelling out for football in England is going to be desperate to throw away even more cash going to Scotland, and as for for Wales and Northern Ireland, you are really having a laugh there.

jgl07
24-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Is England not a nation?

DCI Gene Hunt
24-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Whilst I agree that Britain is a united nation (and want it to stay that way), we have separate national football teams, and one of these separate nations (England) is running to host the World Cup - England. Not Britain, England. Ergo England should pay. Not Britain, England. Same if it was Scotland running for the WC.

Gene

jgl07
24-08-2010, 12:22 PM
But what will be the cost of hosting the World Cup?

I appreciate that it cost South Africa a fortune in stadia construction , transportation links and other infrastructure.

However England is awash with great stadiums and already has a decent infrastructure of transport facilities and hotels etc. These are spread from the North East (Newcastle, Sunderland), the North West (City, United, Liverpool?), the Midlands (Villa) and London (Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Arsenal, Tottenham?)

It looks like a major money spinner rather than cash drain (like the Olympics).

It sounds like people are looking for something to moan about.

southfieldhibby
24-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Please spare us the same trickle-down economics bulls*** we've heard trotted out for the last thirty years. The benefactors will solely be England. Not many people who have spent a fortnight to a month shelling out for football in England is going to be desperate to throw away even more cash going to Scotland, and as for for Wales and Northern Ireland, you are really having a laugh there.

When was the single biggest sporting event on planet Earth hosted in England in the last 30 years to justify this 'trickle-down economic bull****'?Using VAT as an example there is nowt trickle down about that, I pay HM Revenue & customs just like joe bloggs in Portsmouth or Prestayn, we all pay into the same kitty, we all benefit (less so since devolution, but we still benefit)
And the point I'm making is that not everyone will stay in England.People who's teams are playing in Liverpool or Bristol may chose to stay in Wales, teams based in Newcastle or Sunderland might have fans who chose to stay in Scotland.Maybe because accomodation is cheaper, maybe they fancy combining watching football with playing golf in Scotland, maybe they have relatives here or maybe they dislike England as much as some on this thread appear to.There are many reasons.

To say there are no benefits to Scotland to England holding the single biggest sporting event is mental, and smacks of misled national myopia.

aberhibsfc
24-08-2010, 01:03 PM

:top marks:

However if it did go ahead, it may well be the opportunity for me to complete a lifetime goal of
attending at least one World Cup. But they are still CANTS, and I don't think it would be fair to milk the country further to benefit a country which is already lavished financially.

They cream TV money and even the odd Oligarch and Sheik. I wouldn't mind it so much as long as the Government don't choose to make this a big spend, never mind the current Olympic drain, the financial pressures we face just now are scary.

In fact, if Clegg etc want the whole country behind it maybe they should do the honourable thing and go for a joint venture. Scotland - England, sounds alright to me.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-08-2010, 01:13 PM

What makes you think that "anti english attitude" is not merited, if you are a true Scotsman then there is no way in hell they should win or be awarded anything other than the most arrogant football nation in the world, or as a Greek guy told me recently while on holiday "the world really does hate them you know" :rolleyes:

And to close I would say to you (and this is from first hand experience) the english simply cannot stand us as a sporting nation and (quite rightly I suppose) find our football laughable

They will NEVER get any vote from me!

southfieldhibby
24-08-2010, 01:42 PM
What makes you think that "anti english attitude" is not merited, if you are a true Scotsman then there is no way in hell they should win or be awarded anything other than the most arrogant football nation in the world, or as a Greek guy told me recently while on holiday "the world really does hate them you know" :rolleyes:

And to close I would say to you (and this is from first hand experience) the english simply cannot stand us as a sporting nation and (quite rightly I suppose) find our football laughable

They will NEVER get any vote from me!

I'm not here to debate the value of my 'Scottishness', I'm trying to debate the merits England holding a WC can have on Scotland.It seems that, as usual, the shortbread loving,haggis eating,scud drinking apparent majority refuses to see that and would cut of his purple alkie nose inspite of the benefits potentially available.
As a nation I like England, as a sporting rival I do not, that applies to Wales,NI & ROI too.Not all english people are the same, much like not all Greeks are spokesmen for world opinion.

Whaes like us indeed.

aberhibsfc
24-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not here to debate the value of my 'Scottishness', I'm trying to debate the merits England holding a WC can have on Scotland.It seems that, as usual, the shortbread loving,haggis eating,scud drinking apparent majority refuses to see that and would cut of his purple alkie nose inspite of the benefits potentially available.
As a nation I like England, as a sporting rival I do not, that applies to Wales,NI & ROI too.Not all english people are the same, much like not all Greeks are spokesmen for world opinion.

Whaes like us indeed.

What merit can it provide Scotland? With the nearest stadium being Newcastle which is a good hundred or so miles from Edinburgh, I can't see any fans, teams basing themselves here and travelling so there will be no market place benefit. This will, be captured by English enterprises.

That doesn't bother me though. What bothers me is monies will be found at the expense of other good causes around the UK with the Olympic's being a case in point.

England will benefit from any revenue to be had and the automatic qualification. We won't.

It's like taking out a joint loan for a holiday but only one of you get to go, ok simplistic but there you have it. This is not nationalistic nonsense it's cold hard facts.

Now we are all experiencing the recession in the UK, the Government are making drastic cuts and pushing up taxes so we can pay back the money that was originally ours thats been spent. They are staying loyal to the Olympics which is all fair and well because this was agreed before the financial world went mad. But to pro-actively land the nation with a new big spend which will only benefit one member which is already doing pretty well with the Olympic monies it's a bit too much. If they really want to do this, then as I said before, they go co-op and bring others into the bid, it's not as if the UK is a massive country ala SAF so you could hold groups in regional sectors (Hampden, Murrayfiled, Ibrox, Celtic Park), (Wembley, EPL grounds), (Millenium) then travel to various in the latter stages. Either that or hold it themselves and don't ask the rest of the country to make sacrifices for it.

On my last point, obviously FIFA aren't so keen on co-op ventures but lets face it, if Scotland and England hadn't ploughed money into and helped the forming of FIFA and then exported the love of football around the world, the World Cup nor FIFA would exist. Alternatively we had a play off with the home nations, with winner or two winners co-op the tourno with the others to drop into the qualification rounds proper. Still hold the groups nationwide so that at least everyone who's paid taxes, lottery money for it to happen, can get close to the event wherever they are in the 4 corners of this United Kingdom.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Whaes like us indeed.

The Greek reference was a guide to say just how much people rather dislike all things english and that includes the absolute tits that go abroad on holiday.

Scotland (unless invited to provide grounds) will benefit zero from them getting the WC, all we will get is the usual earache on how "great" england are, if your up for that then fine cos I'm not :wink:

DH1875
24-08-2010, 09:02 PM
England getting the world cup would be great. Does no one remember Euro 96, great days. Mind you we were there, don't know how good it be if we weren't there, still be good i think. Can you imagine if we made it and ended up being based in Newcastle, Sunderland, Liverpool or Manchetser or something. It be like bravehart all over again.
As for the cost, I would imagine it wouldn't be much. Wouldn't be anything like S.Africa for a start as they all ready got the stadiums, transport links, hotels, resturants etc...