PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Manchester City vs Liverpool

Sylar
23-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Manchester City 1-0 Liverpool, after 12 minutes: Gareth Barry.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh well my wish for a 0-0 scoreline with both teams being reduced to seven players has gone out the window. :grr:

Although if one team HAD to win, I would probably want it to be Manchester City as I really detest Liverpool.

Billy Whizz
23-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Oh well my wish for a 0-0 scoreline with both teams being reduced to seven players has gone out the window. :grr:

Although if one team HAD to win, I would probably want it to be Manchester City as I really detest Liverpool.

What a boring game so far!
Give me Hibs anytime

Hibbyradge
23-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Is Steven Gerard playing? :bitchy:

SteveHFC
23-08-2010, 08:13 PM
2-0 :grr::grr:

Sylar
23-08-2010, 08:44 PM
3-0: Tevez

Liverpool look God-awful! :greengrin

khib70
23-08-2010, 09:04 PM
3-0: Tevez

Liverpool look God-awful! :greengrin
They certainly do. One in the eye for the anti City brigade,as well as the hubcap lifters. Great result!:thumbsup:

khib70
23-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Really disappointing.But I still have confidence that we'll at least be in the top four and let's not rule out a surprise that'll shut the current glory hunters up :bye:
Like last year? Don't give it the "glory hunter" bit when you don't know what you're talking about. I've supported City all my life, just like Hibs(but less so). I've watched them in League One, and been through some very lean times indeed. I don't suppose Liverpool's huge haul of silverware a few years ago had any effect on your loyalties, then:cool2:

khib70
23-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm also 56 but unlike yourself I still have to run about in the shower to get wet! I first had an affinity to Liverpool when I was 12/13 and still have.. So if you can be bothered you can work it out ..
:greengrin:wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Unless Liverpool get a new owner, they will hover around 10th to 6th for the foreseeable future. They are so far behind the top 5-6 clubs now it must be worrying for their supporters.

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2010, 09:54 PM
The current Liverpool squad is strong enough to do the business this year. Man City were just better on the night. Just wee things though .. Tiny wee things that made the difference. A bit like yesterday!

Gerrard and Carragher are spent forces, Torres looks like he's made the biggest mistake of his life, and the rest wouldn't get into the top five sides. What business you expect that squad of deadbeats to do is beyond me.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 09:57 PM
The current Liverpool squad is strong enough to do the business this year. Man City were just better on the night. Just wee things though .. Tiny wee things that made the difference. A bit like yesterday!

:confused:
Not a hope in hell, i have more chance of biting my own arse than Liverpool making the top 4 this season.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 10:07 PM
A pint on it?

Thats a bet. :agree:

ScottB
24-08-2010, 01:22 AM

I'm not convinced, they were found wanting last year and I don't see how they are noticeably stronger, and the teams above them have at the least stayed as strong as they were.

They have still to replace Alonso (the prime reason for their failure last season) seem on the verge of losing Mascherano and are now even more reliant on a Gerrard past his best (if Madrid really did offer £30 million for him I'd have bit their hand off for it) and an injury prone Torres.

I reckon 6th is the best they can hope for this season, depending on whether Villa can sort themselves out and how Everton get on. Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are all far too strong and Tottenham should also be strong enough to at least grab 5th.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm not convinced, they were found wanting last year and I don't see how they are noticeably stronger, and the teams above them have at the least stayed as strong as they were.

They have still to replace Alonso (the prime reason for their failure last season) seem on the verge of losing Mascherano and are now even more reliant on a Gerrard past his best (if Madrid really did offer £30 million for him I'd have bit their hand off for it) and an injury prone Torres.

I reckon 6th is the best they can hope for this season, depending on whether Villa can sort themselves out and how Everton get on. Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are all far too strong and Tottenham should also be strong enough to at least grab 5th.

Nutshell. I said at this time last year they wouldn't make the top four, and they certainly won't this time around. They were emphatically outpaced and pathetically outmuscled by a Manchester City who were barely on first name terms with each other.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2010, 07:35 AM
No more spent than Scholes or Giggs:faf:

Whilst I'm not a supporter of either team I found this statement most amusing. I think it is safe to say either of them would walk into Liverpools team.

Hibby Bairn
24-08-2010, 07:57 AM
If you are beaten by a team with 6 England squad players in it you must be struggling. And of that 6 only 3 made it to the World Cup squad and just 2 of them played I think.

When I saw the Man City team I thought Liverpool might do something so to get beat 3-0 is poor. Especially with Richards and Lescott as the two full backs!

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 08:45 AM
If you are beaten by a team with 6 England squad players in it you must be struggling. And of that 6 only 3 made it to the World Cup squad and just 2 of them played I think.

When I saw the Man City team I thought Liverpool might do something so to get beat 3-0 is poor. Especially with Richards and Lescott as the two full backs!

If you go through the Liverpool side, bar Torres and Gerrard, the rest are just mediocre. And i include the suspended Joe Cole in that. Man u, Chelsea, Arsenal Tottenham and Man city wouldn't swap squads. Everton and Villa are just as good.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 08:53 AM
If you go through the Liverpool side, bar Torres and Gerrard, the rest are just mediocre. And i include the suspended Joe Cole in that. Man u, Chelsea, Arsenal Tottenham and Man city wouldn't swap squads. Everton and Villa are just as good.

Gerrard has been mediocre for 12 months. A great player in his time but I fancy his time has gone. Torres looks like he's also been pulled into the pack of mediocrity by staying at a declining club for too long.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Gerrard has been mediocre for 12 months. A great player in his time but I fancy his time has gone. Torres looks like he's also been pulled into the pack of mediocrity by staying at a declining club for too long.

I think Torres is just feeling his way back after injury, he will get a transfer to a bigger club in the next year or so. He wont want to play in the Europa league every season. Gerrard is very good on his day, i agree he's not as good as he was but if he were to leave, i still think he'd get a bigger club and would do a good job for them for a couple of years. The rest, no team with any ambition of winning trophys would touch them.

Mascherano is apparently on his way to Barcalona, the manager does not want him, its the chairman who's making the offers.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I think Torres is just feeling his way back after injury, he will get a transfer to a bigger club in the next year or so. He wont want to play in the Europa league every season. Gerrard is very good on his day, i agree he's not as good as he was but if he were to leave, i still think he'd get a bigger club and would do a good job for them for a couple of years. The rest, no team with any ambition of winning trophys would touch them.

Mascherano is apparently on his way to Barcalona, the manager does not want him, its the chairman who's making the offers.

They should cash in Gerrard if they get an offer, he's not that great anymore, and crucially, he's not going to get any better now.

I was more impressed by City than I thought I'd be. I didn't fancy their signings, but they've bought a lot of muscle and pace, and that's what you need in the EPL. Be pretty shocked if they aren't in the CL spots with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 09:13 AM
They should cash in Gerrard if they get an offer, he's not that great anymore, and crucially, he's not going to get any better now.

I was more impressed by City than I thought I'd be. I didn't fancy their signings, but they've bought a lot of muscle and pace, and that's what you need in the EPL. Be pretty shocked if they aren't in the CL spots with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal.

:agree: Yes if an offer came in for Gerrard, say £20m i'd snap their hands off. £50M for Torres and they have £70m to build a team, not a lot i suppose compared to City, but if used right by Hodgson could actually make them better. Still not good enough to break into the top 4, but the rebuilding job has to happen, and its better to do it with £70m than not. Torres will leave, and as you say Gerrard aint getting any better.

jgl07
24-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Liverpool never really looked up for the match apart from a couple of minutes after they went two down.

The obvious place to attack City was on the wings especially with a centre half playing left back. However most times they tried to go through the middle where Kompany and Kolo Toure were well shielded by De Jong and Barry.

Until Hodgson can remodel the team Liverpool could be in for a hard time.

Liverpool are working on an impossible financial model. Unless this can be addressed they could face a long slow decline.

PISTOL1875
24-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Gerrard is an average player who was made to look good by the fact Xabi Alonso done all the donkey work.. Since XA left , Gerrard has been shown up to be the over-rated player he is...

HibbyAndy
24-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Man u Chelsea Arsenal and Man city in any order you want WILL be be occupying the Champions League places come May.

Id take Spurs 5th Villa 6th and Liverpool 7th.

IMO Ofcourse.

Skanko79
24-08-2010, 05:28 PM
the pool were well and trully found out by a far superior man city side last night. thought city were excellent in both halfs. they now have to be taken seriously for a title challenge even if it is early doors.