PDA

View Full Version : Red Card Offences

Tranent Hibby
22-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Cant see why McBride was given a straight red kicking the ball cannot fit in to these categories. They lose a numpty and we lose a key player in our midfield. Hibees should appeal immediately.

A player is sent off and shown the red card if they commit any of the following seven offences.

Serious foul play

Violent conduct, such as throwing a punch

Spitting at an opponent or another person

A player other than the goalkeeper denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free-kick or a penalty kick

Using offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

Receiving a second caution in the match

churchie16
22-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Same here don't have a clue why mcbride was sent off got to admit brilliant strike from him just wanted to hit that thud harder and square in the face,good to see when all the aftermath kicked off everyone was in for one another which got to them so next time at ibrox just get wired into them from the start.

Jonnyboy
22-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Cant see why McBride was given a straight red kicking the ball cannot fit in to these categories. They lose a numpty and we lose a key player in our midfield. Hibees should appeal immediately.

A player is sent off and shown the red card if they commit any of the following seven offences.

Serious foul play

A player other than the goalkeeper denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free-kick or a penalty kick

My guess is that the referee decided McBride blasting the ball at Laugherty whilst the hun was on the deck constituted violent conduct or serious foul play. I dont think it was either and a yellow would have been more appropriate but this is Brines we're talking about remember

Hibby 2005
22-08-2010, 08:30 PM
It's all irrelevant. The fact is McBride made it easy for the ref.

Jonnyboy
22-08-2010, 08:35 PM
It's all irrelevant. The fact is McBride made it easy for the ref.

That's true but where's the harm in discussing it on here? It's relevant as long as folk choose to do that

HibbyRod
22-08-2010, 08:42 PM
My mates and I were horrified and disappointed to discover at the half-time re-runs of the incident showed that the ball only smacked him on the backside, and not the despicable git's ugly puss as we all had originally thought!

Ah well. :rolleyes:

H18sry
22-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Easy appeal win I think :agree:

craig1875
22-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Serious foul play

My understanding is that kicking the ball off an oponent in that manner, is classed as violent conduct. Realy stupid to do it, regardless of the punishment.

thebakerboy
22-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Easy appeal win I think :agree:

Dont think so because Brines has to admit error for appeal to work and that aint going to happen:boo hoo::grr:

givescotlandfreedom
22-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Dont think so because Brines has to admit error for appeal to work and that aint going to happen:boo hoo::grr:

Yep the GFA is rotten to the core so we've no chance.

Callum_62
22-08-2010, 10:29 PM
The thing is the whistle went just as Mcbride blasted the ball at laugherty.....so in Kevs mind it was in open play - nowt wrong with it.

ref bottled it....as usual

TornadoHibby
22-08-2010, 10:39 PM
The thing is the whistle went just as Mcbride blasted the ball at laugherty.....so in Kevs mind it was in open play - nowt wrong with it.

This was my assessment of the situation which happened right in front of me! :agree:

McBride had been possibly our best player up till then whereas Lafferty was always going to be replaced by young Weiss who is definatey a superb player and an enhancement to the SPL without question IMO! :agree:

The two red cards definately favoured the Huns rather than Hibs! :grr:

crewetollhibee
22-08-2010, 10:52 PM

McBride should just say in his appeal that he spotted McGregor of his line, and was trying to score. Or is THAT illegal against Der Hun ?

DCI Gene Hunt
23-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Can't say I was happy with the outcome myself, to me McBride was playing the ball, smelly weegies didn't like what had happened previously and spat the dummy out :dummytit:, bother started, perhaps that had more to do with it than the ball-kicking which even after taking my Hibby-tinted specs off was no problem at all.

I wish we could get rid of the Odious Firm from the SPL.

Gene

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2010, 07:43 AM
My guess is that the referee decided McBride blasting the ball at Laugherty whilst the hun was on the deck constituted violent conduct or serious foul play. I dont think it was either and a yellow would have been more appropriate but this is Brines we're talking about remember

Having now watched the incident on TV, it is clear Brines blows for the foul, and is seen going to his back pocket for a card, just as McBride blooters the ball off the hun......

He was going to give the bluenose a yellow anyway, before it all kicked off

Luna Landing
23-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Well it happened right in front of me and Lafferty was on his feet - not the deck as has been suggested . If the whistle had gone it was a split second before McBride kicked it so I really dont see what he could have done different is he supposed to stand back and let Rangers play on . he should win any appeal but I cant see the ref changing his mind

PaulSmith
23-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Having now watched the incident on TV, it is clear Brines blows for the foul, and is seen going to his back pocket for a card, just as McBride blooters the ball off the hun......

He was going to give the bluenose a yellow anyway, before it all kicked off

Interesting as this is where referee's normally keep their red card...so was Brines actually going to send of Lafferty for the tackle, if so then it makes McBrides actions all the more stupid IMO

Peevemor
23-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Interesting as this is where referee's normally keep their red card...so was Brines actually going to send of Lafferty for the tackle, if so then it makes McBrides actions all the more stupid IMO

IIRC, Brines keeps both cards in the same breast pocket as he also had the red out when booking someone.

I'm sure there was a thing they did years ago where the red card had rounded corners to ensure referees didn't pull it out (:tee hee:) in error.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-08-2010, 08:38 AM
If McBride hadn't reacted, I don't think that Brines would have sent Lafferty off. The fact that he did, made it easy for the ref to get two for the price of one. I can see that Lafferty sort on his way out of Ibrox. They don't want that kind on the terracing, never mind in the team.

Saorsa
23-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Serious foul play

Receiving a second caution in the matchYou missed two

The OF must have their way at all costs

Brines is a ****in' cheat

cannastar
23-08-2010, 09:12 AM
having just watched replay im in the same opinion as i was yesterday, david weir should also ave walked as he had his hands on mcbrides neck and helped ignite the situation rather as calm things down.i reckon he was watching kev have a stormer and realised if rangers were to get on top then he would ave to stop our number seventeen.not often i believe we ave been robbed but yesterday i do feel this incident changed the flow of the game completely.:grr:

basehibby
23-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I find it utterly astonishing that a red card could be dished out for just kicking the football!
As far as I could see the ball was still in play and McBride blasted it towards the Huns goal - Lafferty was in the way but what of it??? Are we now to expect red cards every time a player attempts to win a throw in or corner by kicking the ball off an opponent? Or what about when the ball comes off the wall at a free kick?

Brines' decision seems without any logical motivation other than being scared of upsetting the OF and effectively cheating to help them win the game.

Skol
23-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone else remember Fernando Ricksen blooter the ball against the arm of a prostrate Uli Laursen, knocking him back down ?

The outcome, penalty awarded for deliberate handball and Laursen sent off

Dinkydoo
23-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Seem to be against the general consensus here so tin hat on. :wink:

IMO McBride knew exactly what he was doing and drilled the ball directly at the decked hun. That in my opinion is classified as reacting/violent conduct which both can be punishible via red card.

For me the biggest disappointment wasn't losing 3 - 0 or McBride getting sent off, it was the fact that the ball didn't even hit Laugherty in the face........now that would have been worth the red card! :faf:

Skol
23-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Dinkydoo, you are spot on, McBride stupidly drilled the ball into lafferty, but that IMO is NOT violent conduct, its ungentlemanly conduct and is a yellow card offence.

I have seen this happen before, but can never recall a straight red being issued

Hibbyradge
23-08-2010, 01:17 PM
How can deliberately blootering a ball at someone, after the whistle has gone, be deemed as anything else than violent conduct.

"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when not challenging for the ball". :dunno:

Peevemor
23-08-2010, 01:32 PM
How can deliberately blootering a ball at someone, after the whistle has gone, be deemed as anything else than violent conduct.

How do you know it was deliberate?
Had the whistle gone, if so when? Did McBride have time to pull out from making the clearance?

It's not as if Lafferty was lying prostate on the deck, he was still semi upright and moving.

If from a free kick a striker belts the ball into the 'nads of a defender in the wall is this deliberate? Should he be sent off? Surely he should be trying to miss the wall?

McBrides was a ridiculous sending off which should be appealed IMHO. In addition, it's time that the linesmen showed some bottle - they're paid to do a job too.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2010, 07:33 PM

What happens then when a free kick is awarded and an opposing player stands within 10yds to stop the quick take and the player taking the kick deliberately blooters the ball against the opposition player? Ordering off?

grunt
23-08-2010, 07:37 PM

This is what ex referee Kenny Clark said was the reason for McBride's red. He said it was a stick on sending off, no doubt.

PeeJay
24-08-2010, 08:18 AM
How do you know it was deliberate?
Had the whistle gone, if so when? Did McBride have time to pull out from making the clearance?

Looked 100% deliberate to me - it wasn't a clearance :bitchy:, it was a clear attempt to hit the guy and it succeeded! I think the whistle may well have gone. Funny how very few people question McBride's attitude here - totally stupid from our POV because his risking a sending off with such a stupid action probably cost us the game: they then adapted better than we did.

Rangers may very well be a bunch of thugs, cheats, imposters, and so on, but we as a team do not have to lower ourselves to their level, surely? If McBride had kept his head I think we would have gone on to win the game: so for me his impetuosity and stupidity did us more harm than Lafferty's actions (he was in Hart's back pocket anyway IMO)

Yogi should have a word with out "hot heads" (Stokes in particular) our squad isn't so big that we can afford to have our best players out for stupid suspensions.

Captain Trips
24-08-2010, 10:34 AM
It may have been delibertate however it can be also be seen as already commited to clearing the ball, it cannot b proved either way. There are other incidents in that match, Weir's neck grabbing and that **** keepers diving that are delibertate and have no question yet these go away without any punishment.

mim
24-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone else remember Fernando Ricksen blooter the ball against the arm of a prostrate Uli Laursen, knocking him back down ?

The outcome, penalty awarded for deliberate handball and Laursen sent off

Therein lies the difference........... OF or non-OF. :grr:

That must have been the stupidest penalty/sending off in the history of the game.
Laursen was levering himself up from the ground when the ball was blasted against his arm. There is no way he could possibly have done anything about. To deem that deliberate handball was just plain cheating by the referree.