PDA

View Full Version : Defence!

HFC 0-7
22-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Surely Yogi has to drop all interest in forward players just now and concentrate on defenders. In our last 6 competative games we have lost 17 goals, 5 already in this SPL.

I am not a Yogi fan at all but today I thought he got it spot on (Apart from the subs) but even if we were 2-0 up today with 10 mins to go I would feel very uncomfortable just because of the defence. We have a good forward line but we wil struggle to win many games if we keep leaking goals.

I am not sure what it is, I think Hogg isnt up to it but Bamba, hart and Hanlon look pretty capable and when we lose goals it often looks like organisation rather than player ability. Can the players we have not Gel or do we need new faces in there. Today I though Bamba was immense defending but he also took the ball on a wee run, if he could be put in midfield I think he would cause problems and stop a lot of attacks against us, but then we leave a massive problem at the back. At the moment I cant see a way we can stop shipping so many goals.

northseahibby
22-08-2010, 07:56 PM
:agree:

500miles
22-08-2010, 08:03 PM
The midfielder sitting in front of the defence got sent off, leaving the defence vaulnerable. There was no obvious choice to take someone off, because the team was playing well.

Then we lost a goal, which meant we had to throw bodies forward, and play in the most attacking style we could. That left more space at the back. Weiss came on, and punished us with his speed and general good play.

Hart then picked up an injury.

I don't think that, under the circumstances, the defence can take too much criticism today.

BoltonHibee
22-08-2010, 08:08 PM
The midfielder sitting in front of the defence got sent off, leaving the defence vaulnerable. There was no obvious choice to take someone off, because the team was playing well.

Then we lost a goal, which meant we had to throw bodies forward, and play in the most attacking style we could. That left more space at the back. Weiss came on, and punished us with his speed and general good play.

I don't think that, under the circumstances, the defence can take too much criticism today.

:agree:

HFC 0-7
22-08-2010, 08:09 PM

We were still creating chances through Galbraith and he changed things. We have shipped so many goals in competative games of late that it is concerning. Their first goal looked like our defence could have been better in getting the ball clear. My other points is that Yogi changed the shape of the team which caused problems IMO. Bringing Nish on and moving galbraith was a mistake. We looked good with the shape and with galbraith up front. The shape was lost when he moved galbraith and we looked much less dangerous.

The defence will ship goals this season, Hogg is the weak link but in general the defence doesnt look like a unit and that is not all hogss fault. The 3 other players look good individually but at times the whole defence looks lost, whether that is down to one person or not I dont know. My point is, is that I think we look good enough going forward we dont look good enough at the back.

GloryGlory
23-08-2010, 06:04 AM

Four competitive games so far this season, 11 goals conceded....tells its own story, IMO. :hmmm:

DCI Gene Hunt
23-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Couldn't attend the game unfortunately and missed any highlights on telly, the only things I saw were the goals & "the incident" late last night on t'news.

Heard that Hibs played otherwise quite well, but from what I could see all three goals were pish-soft, defence way too slow, to draw a comparison it was like a clapped-out Nissan Cherry racing a Lamborghini. Three soft, simple attempts that should've been snuffed-out easily but weren't.

"The incident" also leaves much to be desired, but that's for another thread. :furious:

Gene

ForeverHibs93
23-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Surely Yogi has to drop all interest in forward players just now and concentrate on defenders. In our last 6 competative games we have lost 17 goals, 5 already in this SPL.

I am not a Yogi fan at all but today I thought he got it spot on (Apart from the subs) but even if we were 2-0 up today with 10 mins to go I would feel very uncomfortable just because of the defence. We have a good forward line but we wil struggle to win many games if we keep leaking goals.

I am not sure what it is, I think Hogg isnt up to it but Bamba, hart and Hanlon look pretty capable and when we lose goals it often looks like organisation rather than player ability. Can the players we have not Gel or do we need new faces in there. Today I though Bamba was immense defending but he also took the ball on a wee run, if he could be put in midfield I think he would cause problems and stop a lot of attacks against us, but then we leave a massive problem at the back. At the moment I cant see a way we can stop shipping so many goals.
So it's yet another Hogg bashing:wink:

cannastar
23-08-2010, 09:34 AM
i hope its not another hogg bashing as i thought he had a pretty good game today.i think though we may just have a gem in the name of david stephens.imo when we played carlisle there was a lot to like about the young guy... he read the game well was good both on the ground and in the air and looked quite skillfull for a central defender.hopefully when he does become a regular,he will become the answer to a commanding central defender that our team is crying out for.just hope we are able to hold onto him long enough and dont sell him for the first half decent offer that comes the taches way.:notworthy:

HFC 0-7
23-08-2010, 11:22 AM
So it's yet another Hogg bashing:wink:

Read my other posts! I said that I dont rate hogg but I dont think he is to blame for all the defence problems as it seems that the defence doesnt work together well as a unit and that it cant be down to just one person!