PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear Iain Brines!

PC Stamp
22-08-2010, 02:12 PM
COMPLETELY to blame for the red card incident IMHO. Had he booked Lafferty for the original foul, as he should have done, the sitiuation would never have arisen. Hibs however take a quick free kick and Lafferty still has the red mist and before you know it, all hell has broken loose.

Still no doubt the supervisor in the stand will big him up as Rangers ended up with 3 points.

sKipper
22-08-2010, 02:18 PM
COMPLETELY to blame for the red card incident IMHO. Had he booked Lafferty for the original foul, as he should have done, the sitiuation would never have arisen. Hibs however take a quick free kick and Lafferty still has the red mist and before you know it, all hell has broken loose.

Still no doubt the supervisor in the stand will big him up as Rangers ended up with 3 points.

Having seen about 10 replays I still don't know why McBride went with him :confused::confused:

New Corrie
22-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Having seen about 10 replays I still don't know why McBride went with him :confused::confused:

For blasting the ball at Fudderty I would imagine, the red cards hurt us more, we never really recovered from that. I thought yellow cards would have sufficed, as for the McGregor one, that was embarrassing, he should be hunted for that:grr:

Big Frank
22-08-2010, 03:07 PM
For blasting the ball at Fudderty I would imagine, the red cards hurt us more, we never really recovered from that. I thought yellow cards would have sufficed, as for the McGregor one, that was embarrassing, he should be hunted for that:grr:

You say yellow cards. This suggests you feel that lefferty should have been yellowed:confused:

New Corrie
22-08-2010, 03:34 PM
You say yellow cards. This suggests you feel that lefferty should have been yellowed:confused:

I didn't mean plural, I thought McBride Yellow for blasting the ball, Fudderty=twat=red.

It was the McGregor one that riled me, that was just embarrassing, I actually thought he was better than that.

Atalanta
22-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I understood that kicking a ball at a player was ungentlemanly conduct and should be a yellow card. Hibs should appeal the red card although if the ref has to admit he was wrong there is little chance of winning the appeal.

skipster7
22-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I understood that kicking a ball at a player was ungentlemanly conduct and should be a yellow card. Hibs should appeal the red card although if the ref has to admit he was wrong there is little chance of winning the appeal.
had the ref blew his whistle when mcbride kicked the ball ? if he had then you are talking fractions of a second and if not you can surely kick the ball however/wherever you want when the ball is in play.if you blast the ball towards goal from 2 yards and it hits someone on the line should you now expect a straight red:confused: brines was a complete tool and directly affected the result as mcbride was much more influential than laughable:grr:

EasterRoad4Ever
22-08-2010, 03:49 PM

The simple answer is he SHOULDN'T have. If anything Stokes was the only Hibs player getting too involved.

Hibs will definitely appeal McBrides SO and will win it. Sadly, it was a cowardly or corrupt decision by Brines that changed the game. But since I've seen this stuff of 40+ years, its just the same old same old with refs and OF :yawn:

EasterRoad4Ever
22-08-2010, 03:50 PM
had the ref blew his whistle when mcbride kicked the ball ? if he had then you are talking fractions of a second and if not you can surely kick the ball however/wherever you want when the ball is in play.if you blast the ball towards goal from 2 yards and it hits someone on the line should you now expect a straight red:confused: brines was a complete tool and directly affected the result as mcbride was much more influential than laughable:grr:
:top marks

magpie1892
22-08-2010, 03:51 PM
It was the McGregor one that riled me, that was just embarrassing, I actually thought he was better than that.

Ignoring years of extensive evidence both on and off the park that he is a fud of the highest order?

EasterRoad4Ever
22-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I didn't mean plural, I thought McBride Yellow for blasting the ball, Fudderty=twat=red.

Embarrassing doesn't come close. The Hun Goalie deliberately tried to con the ref and get a fellow player sent off = straight RED (and don't stop walking). The Huns today were an excellent reflection of their two managers : Uncle Watty and his mini me.

Ryan91
22-08-2010, 04:01 PM
The simple answer is he SHOULDN'T have. If anything Stokes was the only Hibs player getting too involved.

Hibs will definitely appeal McBrides SO and will win it. Sadly, it was a cowardly or corrupt decision by Brines that changed the game. But since I've seen this stuff of 40+ years, its just the same old same old with refs and OF :yawn:

Brine's shirked away from doing what was right in several cases. However he applied the unwritten rule of 'if you have to send an OF player off, a player from the opposing side must go too'. McGregor (whom after today's display I can say I would never tire of punching) should have been shown a Red card for the Agro and Simulation (2 Yellows), Weir should have either been spoken to or at least carded for grabbing McBride by the scruff of the neck during the skirmish that ensued from the Lafferty incident. Bougherra should have been on his way for his appalling challenge on Miller towards the end.

Frankly the Ref and injuries cost us the match. With regards to the McBride sending off from what I have heard the whistle had NOT gone when McBride kicked the ball, as such the ball was still in play if it has hit a player whilst still in play no action should be taken (unless it appears deliberate, in which case a warning or a Yellow should suffice). I've been following Hibs for 10 years now and although much has changed with regards to refs and the OF it's still clear that the same prejudices still exist, sadly.

Kaiser1962
22-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Disagree PCS, while I concede that Brines didnt effectively deal with the original incident the fault lies entirely with professional players who are unable, in the heat of battle, to maintain their discipline. Said players are also cheating, diving, whinging, moaning, dishonest, cowardly ****bags who do not have one ounce of self respect or dignity. Who will, in general, resort to whatever means at their disposal to get the win. Is it any coincidence that the most successful teams are full of these personalitys where the "middle of the table" sides dont possess them to the same degree? I think not. The problem is, and always will be, that "winners" are feted and cheats are rewarded handsomely. The refs dont stand a chance

lucky
22-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I actually think McGregors offence is worse than his drinking and two finger offence with scotland. He should banned by the SFA

Atalanta
22-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a real sense of Deja Vu here. It now seems that every time either of the Old Firm comes to Easter Road at some point in the game we get a piece of poor refereeing that leads to an unfair advantage to the Old Firm team.

The media and the SFA talk about honest mistakes. It is amazing how all of these "honest " mistakes continually favour the Old Firm.

PC Stamp
22-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Disagree PCS, while I concede that Brines didnt effectively deal with the original incident the fault lies entirely with professional players who are unable, in the heat of battle, to maintain their discipline. Said players are also cheating, diving, whinging, moaning, dishonest, cowardly ****bags who do not have one ounce of self respect or dignity. Who will, in general, resort to whatever means at their disposal to get the win. Is it any coincidence that the most successful teams are full of these personalitys where the "middle of the table" sides dont possess them to the same degree? I think not. The problem is, and always will be, that "winners" are feted and cheats are rewarded handsomely. The refs dont stand a chance

Agree that players often don't help themselves but the ref is the man in charge and is being paid handsomely to be so (despite what they'd tell you). If Brines had taken control of the original situation as he should have then the players most likely wouldn't have reacted as they did. They certainly aren't blameless but weak referees who can't keep control of games will always encounter such situations.

HibbyAndy
22-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Anyone care to explain why David Weir didnt get booked for grabbing Mcbride by the throat?!?!?

Time and time i again i see this ersehole Weir grabbing players by the scruff of the neck and getting no card.

Poor poor showing today Brines.

DaveF
22-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Anyone care to explain why David Weir didnt get booked for grabbing Mcbride by the throat?!?!?

Time and time i again i see this ersehole Weir grabbing players by the scruff of the neck and getting no card.

Answer = He's the captain of Rangers.

Simples.

skipster7
22-08-2010, 04:46 PM

does seem to do that ALL the time and get away with it, as for the ref :grr:you can never tell but until his bottle job it seemed the worst we would get is a draw

jane_says
22-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Dont think we will tbh, we're talking about the sfa here. And McBride didn't complain at all when he was show the red. I actually thought the ref would send stokes off, seemed to go in over the top.

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Sent off for kicking the ball at a player. :faf::faf: What happens when players do this to get corners or throw ins, will these be sending offs too?:top marks Ref you are an arse.

skipster7
22-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Dont think we will tbh, we're talking about the sfa here. And McBride didn't complain at all when he was show the red. I actually thought the ref would send stokes off, seemed to go in over the top.
couldn't disagree more.

Westie1875
22-08-2010, 05:20 PM

He did the same thing to Riordan after McCheater threw himself to the ground.

Its about time someone did the same to grandpa and see how he likes it. Over to you Sol :cool2:

Saorsa
23-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Still no doubt the supervisor in the stand will big him up as Rangers ended up with 3 points.Correct, I cannae belive he wisnae done for the 1st incident (actually yes I can) and you're right he'll be somewhere else next week making a **** of another game with the full backing of the fannies that run the game. :bitchy:

brog
23-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I think Brines is a clown. I always return to the time he sent Ivan off for ( gently ) bouncing the ball down in frustration. The following week, an already booked Hun, booted the ball 40 yards away in protest at a decision ( against Pars in cup ). Guess what, no action?
For all that I thought he mostly had a reasonable game yesterday. There's no doubt Deeks should not have been booked & McBride's should have been a yellow but McBride was stupid & gave Brines the opportunity to equalise a sending off for a Hun. Refs are only human, they will automatically look after their own self-interest & they know they will never be criticised by media for sending off a non OF player, whereas - - - -!!
I actually didn't think KL's tackle on it's own was a straight red but as OP said if he had cautioned Lafferty originally then the subsequent mayhem would have been avoided. Lafferty however definitely deserved a red for his subsequent behaviour. I think however it was his original booking of Riordan which set the tone. You could see Brines knew exactly what had happened, his body language to Deeks was conciliatory & almost apologetic but he still booked him for reasons as above. That gave the Huns the nod & a wink they needed. It told them their keeper could act aggressively, could swear & could then feign injury & end up with the same punishment as an entirely innocent party.
Incidentally, apologies if this is on another thread, who in the SFA made a statement last night that McGregor would not face further punishment? This is the body which takes weeks to hear appeals but can leak something to the media a few hours after a game is over.
The usual double standards.

Saorsa
23-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I think Brines is a clown. I always return to the time he sent Ivan off for ( gently ) bouncing the ball down in frustration. The following week, an already booked Hun, booted the ball 40 yards away in protest at a decision ( against Pars in cup ). Guess what, no action?
For all that I thought he mostly had a reasonable game yesterday. There's no doubt Deeks should not have been booked & McBride's should have been a yellow but McBride was stupid & gave Brines the opportunity to equalise a sending off for a Hun. Refs are only human, they will automatically look after their own self-interest & they know they will never be criticised by media for sending off a non OF player, whereas - - - -!!
I actually didn't think KL's tackle on it's own was a straight red but as OP said if he had cautioned Lafferty originally then the subsequent mayhem would have been avoided. Lafferty however definitely deserved a red for his subsequent behaviour. I think however it was his original booking of Riordan which set the tone. You could see Brines knew exactly what had happened, his body language to Deeks was conciliatory & almost apologetic but he still booked him for reasons as above. That gave the Huns the nod & a wink they needed. It told them their keeper could act aggressively, could swear & could then feign injury & end up with the same punishment as an entirely innocent party.
Incidentally, apologies if this is on another thread, who in the SFA made a statement last night that McGregor would not face further punishment? This is the body which takes weeks to hear appeals but can leak something to the media a few hours after a game is over.
The usual double standards.Is that something new like?

DCI Gene Hunt
23-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Usually don't like criticising refs or indulging in conspiracy theories, however it is clear that yesterday was a farcical display of pish-poor officialling and, dare I say, implied favouritism towards the away team.

Whilst I usually rubbish conspiracy theories, I agree with other posters that it is a repeating occurrence in matches that the Odious Firm are repeatedly shown deliberate favouritism over all other SPL teams with regards to, usually very dubious, decisions on the field of play, with a very, very rare few minor exceptions.

There is no point in participating in this game if the game's rules are not enforced fairly and equally with no favouritism, otherwise all is pointless and lost and we (i.e. everyone apart from Celtic and Rangers) may as well just give up because nobody is going to get anywhere unless they are part of the clique.

New league with everyone in the SPL apart from the minging bigoted weegies? Fcek knows where the money would come from but it would be a much better, more competitive game I think. And none of this IRA/King Billy load of arse that should have been buried years ago, and had no place in our game to start with.

Gene

matty_f
23-08-2010, 10:05 AM

:agree:

Answer = He's the captain of Rangers.

Simples.
Yep.:agree:

Sent off for kicking the ball at a player. :faf::faf: What happens when players do this to get corners or throw ins, will these be sending offs too?:top marks Ref you are an arse.

It was laughable.:agree:

DCI Gene Hunt
23-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Was he sent off for kicking the ball or was it for the handbags in the aftermath?

Either way, absolute farce, total pish. :agree:

Gene

brog
23-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Unsurprisingly Brines apparently gave Yogi 2 different answers re K McB sending off. Initially said was for melee after the foul then changed mind to say was for kicking the ball at Fud! He was no doubt encouraged in his latter approach by willingness of commentators to classify McB's lash of the ball as violent conduct!!

(((Fergus)))
23-08-2010, 12:28 PM

McBride was trying to hit that twat to cause pain/offense/exact retribution. The intent was no different than if he had kicked him or punched him.

If McBride had kept the head we would have been 11 v 10.

That said, it was my favourite moment of the game. Mind you, if McBride had stayed on, we might have got 3 points as revenge.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 12:30 PM
McBride was trying to hit that twat to cause pain/offense/exact retribution. The intent was no different than if he had kicked him or punched him.

If McBride had kept the head we would have been 11 v 10.

That said, it was my favourite moment of the game. Mind you, if McBride had stayed on, we might have got 3 points as revenge.

Did he tell you that?

(((Fergus)))
23-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Did he tell you that?

I'm open to other explanations but that is the most plausible as far as I can see (unless we had a player lurking onside at the corner flag :wink:). Part of the referee's job is to judge intent.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm open to other explanations but that is the most plausible as far as I can see (unless we had a player lurking onside at the corner flag :wink:). Part of the referee's job is to judge intent.

Even if the ref is right, and McBride was trying to aim the ball at Laugherty, did the big bad ball hurt him? Players have the ball fired at them all game every game, its their job to get their body, any part of their body in the way, and stop it going towards their goal. Intent, violent intent with a ball. :faf::faf:

(((Fergus)))
23-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Even if the ref is right, and McBride was trying to aim the ball at Laugherty, did the big bad ball hurt him? Players have the ball fired at them all game every game, its their job to get their body, any part of their body in the way, and stop it going towards their goal. Intent, violent intent with a ball. :faf::faf:

I know, but say the ball had hit the anorexic frankenstein square in the puss and smashed his nose open.......

......hold that thought..... :partyhibb

........you would have violent intent combined with actual physical viuolence :thumbsup:

If a player swings a punch but fails to connect cleanly or at all, what action should the referee take? That's violent conduct, isn't it?

PS non-old firm players should always be whiter than white to avoid red cards and hope the referee does the damage to them. It's not right, but that's the current reality and a decent manager/player will legislate for that.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I know, but say the ball had hit the anorexic frankenstein square in the puss and smashed his nose open.......

......hold that thought..... :partyhibb

........you would have violent intent combined with actual physical viuolence :thumbsup:

If a player swings a punch but fails to connect cleanly or at all, what action should the referee take? That's violent conduct, isn't it?

PS non-old firm players should always be whiter than white to avoid red cards and hope the referee does the damage to them. It's not right, but that's the current reality and a decent manager/player will legislate for that.

Kicking the ball at the opposition is part and parcel of the game, throwing punches is not. I do like the thought of Laughertys face being smashed wide open though.:agree:

danderhallhibby
23-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Every bloody time! Both Boyd and Thomson did Zemama at Ibrox last season, nothing done! Sex offender should have been off! What exactly did McBride do! Yellow maybe!
The ulgy sisters have the SFA and the refs in their back pockets. I thought we played really well yesterday and where by far the better team until Lafferty went mad. With him reacting like that its actually no surprise the Hibs players reacted like they did. Dont condone it but no surprise! Will never change in Scotland. The refs bottle it all the time against those two. Brines is a class A arse
GGTTH!!!!!!

Tyler Durden
23-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Is there any precedent for kicking the ball at a player being violent conduct? I highly doubt it but the Scottish media, including ex ref Kenny Clark are happy to accept the decision. Imagine the outcry if the roles were reversed.

People talking about intent miss the point for me. McBride can clearly argue that he didn't hear any whistle before booting the ball. Can anyone prove otherwise? Obviously he intended to hit Lafferty but with the ball still in play there's nothing in the rules against that. If anything its ungentlemanly conduct and a booking.

Meanwhile Lafferty gets 1 red having initially hauled back Miller (worthy of yellow), lunged at Miller (worthy of at least yellow, more likely red) then all the handbags with McBride & Stokes.

Broken Gnome
23-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Is there any precedent for kicking the ball at a player being violent conduct? I highly doubt it but the Scottish media, including ex ref Kenny Clark are happy to accept the decision. Imagine the outcry if the roles were reversed.

People talking about intent miss the point for me. McBride can clearly argue that he didn't hear any whistle before booting the ball. Can anyone prove otherwise? Obviously he intended to hit Lafferty but with the ball still in play there's nothing in the rules against that. If anything its ungentlemanly conduct and a booking.

Meanwhile Lafferty gets 1 red having initially hauled back Miller (worthy of yellow), lunged at Miller (worthy of at least yellow, more likely red) then all the handbags with McBride & Stokes.

Oh aye, another thing that p!ssed me off today...

"Clutching his face, McGregor theatrically threw himself to the floor after a coming together with Hibs' derek Riordan - another player never far from controversy. But, to be fair, on this occasion Riordan was harshly dealt with."

Now, on a football pitch, I can't think of many players that have caused less controversy than Derek Riordan. What an utterly stupid thing to put in print...

Cropley10
23-08-2010, 06:02 PM
We just need to hope that the referees assessor sitting in the Stand will have noted Brines' contradictory explanations to Yogi and also his strange interpretation of the rules.

Remember guys that the ref is being constantly reviewed and if he's not up to scratch he'll be off the list pronto.

snooky
23-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Sorry, but I disagree with the "obviously" part.
The only person who knows if McBride intended to hit Laffalot is McBride. There is enough uncertainty to give him the benefit of the doubt - "innocent till proved guilty" if you like.
Having watched both controversial decisions a few times now it is blatently obvious that Brines bottled it at best, cheated at worst. Or, maybe a bit of both.
Let's see how many controversial refereeing decisions result in Rangers losing this season.
Just for the record, I can recall ONCE in my lifetime an incident against Aberdeen a few seasons ago when Rangers scored a legit goal and it was ruled offside. IIRC the incident was re-played and analysed ad nausium for weeks by the media. "Oh the injustice", " Disgraceful decision" etc, etc.
I ask you, is it really worthwhile playing in a fixed league? :sick:

The_Sauz
23-08-2010, 06:20 PM

If you look again (in slow motion) you will see 2 rangers players who grab McBride by the throat/neck.
Fair enough Brines had his back turned to McBride at the time, but why did the 4th official or the west stand linesman not do something about.......what the **** do those guy's get paid for (especially the 4th official) :grr:

heidtheba
23-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I spent part of Saturday watching the Tri-Nations rugby between SA and the All Blacks. All Blacks were trailing an din the last three or four mins got a try where their player's leg went out of the field of play (didn't quite understand as I'm no rugby buff so please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, crucial decisio which was made after the officials watched it over and over on video before telling the ref. The coverage had cameras in the officials box (you could see some wee lackey rewinding and playing the moment over and over until they decided), the com line between them and the ref was broadcast live. Clear, brave decision made after video replay and done in full public view.
Why can't the SFA (or football in general) do this???

snooky
23-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I spent part of Saturday watching the Tri-Nations rugby between SA and the All Blacks. All Blacks were trailing an din the last three or four mins got a try where their player's leg went out of the field of play (didn't quite understand as I'm no rugby buff so please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, crucial decisio which was made after the officials watched it over and over on video before telling the ref. The coverage had cameras in the officials box (you could see some wee lackey rewinding and playing the moment over and over until they decided), the com line between them and the ref was broadcast live. Clear, brave decision made after video replay and done in full public view.
Why can't the SFA (or football in general) do this???
The answer is obvious, my friend.

(((Fergus)))
23-08-2010, 07:49 PM
another ****ing thing i need to get of my chest: the bawbag commentating on the highlights:

"and i don't know what was going through alan mcgregor's head there"

OH YES YOU ****ING DO YOU SYCOPHANYIC IRONING BOARD

Edit - The swear filter is there for a reason!

BEEJ
23-08-2010, 07:56 PM
We just need to hope that the referees assessor sitting in the Stand will have noted Brines' contradictory explanations to Yogi and also his strange interpretation of the rules.

Remember guys that the ref is being constantly reviewed and if he's not up to scratch he'll be off the list pronto.
:Ummm:

This is the SPL you're talking about?