PDA

View Full Version : De Graaf & that chance

Neil_Orr
22-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Gotta say that De Graafs chance was our moment. A horrible fluffed line that's cost us a chance of taking something from the game. He also doesn't really look like the "box-to-box" midfielder JH billed him as.

Wembley67
22-08-2010, 12:52 PM
fluffed? The ball was taken off his toe before it got to him. Great defending.

Peevemor
22-08-2010, 12:54 PM

:agree:

James.
22-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Agreed, it was brilliant defending rather than poor anticipation from de Graaf. Was certainly a turning point though sadly.

Callum_62
22-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I think De Graff couldve reacted quicker to that chance....he seemed to want to make sure good connection was made, when it wasnt required.

still, brill tackle.

Neil_Orr
22-08-2010, 12:57 PM
He shouldn't have had an opportunity to make the clearance, the ball should have been in the back of the net.

DH1875
22-08-2010, 01:09 PM
If he had burst the net like he should have then it would be a complete different game, he has cost us big time and I got to be honest and say I've been far from impressed from what I've seen so far.
We are all quick enough to jump on the likes of Nish and Rankin and I've not seen anything that makes him different.

Matty_Jack04
22-08-2010, 01:16 PM
If he had burst the net like he should have then it would be a complete different game, he has cost us big time and I got to be honest and say I've been far from impressed from what I've seen so far.
We are all quick enough to jump on the likes of Nish and Rankin and I've not seen anything that makes him different.

its his 2nd game in a diffrent country! maybe give him some time to settle in before he's stuck up for ridicule and torture like hogg rankin and nish.

Wembley67
22-08-2010, 01:19 PM
how can he burst the net if he doesn`t have the ball????

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-08-2010, 01:25 PM
It was just unlucky and De Graaf will be a great player for us!

just_joe

Would the same be said if it was Nish?Not saying you personally but I can guarantee there would be at least 3 Nish threads up by now if that was him who missed. In saying that if Nish fluffed Stokes header we would have the same thing.

Hibby Kay-Yay
its his 2nd game in a diffrent country! maybe give him some time to settle in before he's stuck up for ridicule and torture like hogg rankin and nish.

but he doesn't even have a decent website...

DH1875
22-08-2010, 01:30 PM

He should have got of his fat ass and went for it instead of just standing there like a tit.

Kato
22-08-2010, 01:31 PM
He was guilty of waiting on the ball coming to him. Pretty much a basic schoolboy error. Still a good tackle though and I think De Graff will come good.

You can't just jump into the God Forsaken Footballing Backwater that is the SPL and take to it straight away. He learned two lessons today you have to be quick off the mark in everything you do and there are two sets of rules in games against The Bigot Sisters.

.Sean.
22-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Deary me, the guy's already got .netters on his back. Great defending, he'll settle at the club and he'll come good. Give the guy a break.

Neil_Orr
22-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Not saying he wont come good and of course he needs time to settle. But he was all over the gaff last week and could have put us ahead at a crucial point in the game today.

Lets hope he puts it all right at St Mirren next week.

lucky
22-08-2010, 01:43 PM
It was a great tackle. He did ok today. But some on here are just OTT.

givescotlandfreedom
22-08-2010, 01:58 PM
It was the turning point unfortunately. I was concerned that following the miss the heads went right down and we were always going to lose it. It's worrying we were so mentally weak after playing well for the first hour.

sesoim
22-08-2010, 02:10 PM

:bitchy: Nobodies comparing him to those three. They've been here for ages and proved over a long period how substandard they are. But a sitter is a sitter - he just stood waiting for the ball. I doubt he'd have gotten more time in the box in Holland.

sKipper
22-08-2010, 02:13 PM

He didn't seem to make much effort to attack the ball.

sesoim
22-08-2010, 02:14 PM
It was the turning point unfortunately. I was concerned that following the miss the heads went right down and we were always going to lose it. It's worrying we were so mentally weak after playing well for the first hour.

:agree: Although bad managerial decisions re shape, tactics and failure to sort the defence contributed most to our bad run last season, I do think there is a problem with the mentality of a few of the players. The minute we go behind against Rangers now it seems to be game over.

hibee_girl
22-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I have to say I'm still not overly impressed with De Graaf, he seems slow and like others have said doesn't make much effort to get the ball, he just expects it at his feet.

However, he has only played a few games for us now and I'm just hoping he gets used to the pace of Scottish football soon!

Broken Gnome
22-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Anyone think the Edwin De Graaf will be thinking anything other that 'HOW IN GOD'S NAME DIDN'T I SCORE?' right now? No, thought not. There's your answer. Of course he should've scored...

Beefster
22-08-2010, 02:18 PM
If de Graaf had launched himself at the ball, it was a goal. He should have been making sure that the ball, the defender, whatever else in the way went into the net together.

Hibby Bairn
22-08-2010, 02:19 PM
De Graaf always looking for the ball. Always moving after he passes. A good addition to our first 11...as is Hart who I thought had a great game today.

RickyS
22-08-2010, 02:34 PM
De Graaf always looking for the ball. Always moving after he passes. A good addition to our first 11...as is Hart who I thought had a great game today.

agreed, thought Hart played well today. hope his injury is not a bad one. looked like his hamstring went. also was there any word on Deeks injury? he looked badly hurt and probably should not have played on.

iwasthere1972
22-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Just seen it on SSN and I really think De Graaf should have put it away before it was cleared off his toes. If that had been Stokes we would have been 1-0 up and I don't think the huns would have come back from that.

That's my take on it for what it's worth.

Westie1875
22-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Just seen it on SSN and I really think De Graaf should have put it away before it was cleared off his toes. If that had been Stokes we would have been 1-0 up and I don't think the huns would have come back from that.

That's my take on it for what it's worth.

Stokes missed a couple of very good chances today as well, it was an excellent tackle - sometimes you just have to give the other team credit for some very good defending.

Atalanta
22-08-2010, 03:29 PM
You have to give the defender credit. That was as good a defensive tackle as I 've seen for a long long time

fife hfc
22-08-2010, 03:34 PM
it was a bad miss and a good recovery from Bougherra. De Graff looks like he needs a few games to get up to speed with the fast pace of the Spl and of what his role in the team is. I believe he will get into double figures if he keeps on getting into the box like he did for the chance.

At The Edge
22-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought De Graaf had a decent game today, should have buried it in the onion bag but the defender made a great tackle, agree on the heads going down on a few players and if we lose Bamba.....we're ****ed, he was outstanding today.

Miller though..is there an icon for w**ker, seen some guy getting huckled out after his 2nd goal celebration in front of the East.

Overall thought the first half we were on top easy, and until the goal i though we would win

Chin up Hibs, roll on St Mirren

EasterRoad4Ever
22-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Apart from Brines cowardace or corruption in dealing with a couple of key issues, De Graff's blunder was THE biggest moment of the match. You cannot afford to miss chances of that quality and still expect to beat the OF. You could see it as great defending, but if you give a defender enough time he'll eventually get back and clear the danger. De Graff wanted 35 mins and a cigar before he made the move to put the ball in the net - it was like watching a lot of his play - off the pace and ssssslllllooooowwwww.

De Graff made the defender look good, when in reality he shoudl have smashed it into the net - poor to say the least :bitchy:

God Petrie
22-08-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/6644372/

Looks like a combination of a great tackle from Bougherra and lack of anticipation from De Graaf.

lyonhibs
22-08-2010, 04:23 PM
the ball never even got to him. Have a word. The real thing to learn from this game is that Galbraith needs 2 get a fair bite at the cherry, if not a starting role at ER

EVENTUALLY
22-08-2010, 04:36 PM
the ball never even got to him. Have a word. The real thing to learn from this game is that Galbraith needs 2 get a fair bite at the cherry, if not a starting role at ER

Pat McGinlay would've scored, and would've been back towards the half way line before Bougherra thought about clearing it.

DaveF
22-08-2010, 04:39 PM

This and your other post about Brown being culpable for 2 goals?

Some Hibby you are :rolleyes:

De Graaf should have burst the net, but give credit to some fantastic defending by Bougherra.

IWasThere2016
22-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Just watched the game ..

Great tackle - no question.

Schoolboy error not to attack the baw - no question.

Sadly the pivotal point of the match for us ..

greenlex
22-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Thought De Graff is ok oN the ball but if he is a boxt to box player then it must have been a few years ago. He was blowing out his erse early doors and I hope I am wrong but looks past his sell by date. Maybe he needs a bit if time ti get up to speed but he better get his skates on. On this form he offers little more than rankin.

snooky
22-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Just watched the game ..

Great tackle - no question.

Schoolboy error not to attack the baw - no question.

Sadly the pivotal point of the match for us ..
:agree: :agree: :agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 01:05 PM
It was just unlucky and De Graaf will be a great player for us!

What do you base that on?:confused:

ahibby
24-08-2010, 01:20 PM
From one angle it looks like De Graf shouldve reacted quicker and from another it looks like the defender is favourite to get to it first, so it depends on where you were sitting. I was disappointed seeing it from the West Stand it looked like a sharp player would have stuck it away but from the East it looks like Boughera (or Buggera) was slightly nearer to it. For me the juries still out on him I haven't been overly impressed but a few more weeks should tell us all we need to know.

Stevie Reid
24-08-2010, 01:25 PM
He was anonymous as the game passed him by last week at Fir Park, and was a lot more involved this week - he is getting used to the frantic pace of the SPL, clearly has the attributes to be a success here, and given time, I'm convinced he will be. Bear in mind he already has scored twice for us.

Yes, ideally he should've made it happen with the chance at the weekend, but we are talking about a split second here, and it was great defending. Fancy him to score at the weekend to make amends.

IWasThere2016
24-08-2010, 05:32 PM
He was better Stevie but whaur's the 'box tae box'? :dunno:

matty_f
24-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I wish we had a defender who'd have not given up on that like Bougherra did. Great intervention, yes De Graaf could have reacted quicker but let's face it, how many of us thought he'd get to the ball?!

I thought De Graaf's overall play was quite good, and I have to say I'm surprised to see the amount of criticism that he's been getting.

FWIW, I think the pivotal points in the game were Riordan and Hart's injuries.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I wish we had a defender who'd have not given up on that like Bougherra did. Great intervention, yes De Graaf could have reacted quicker but let's face it, how many of us thought he'd get to the ball?!

I thought De Graaf's overall play was quite good, and I have to say I'm surprised to see the amount of criticism that he's been getting.

FWIW, I think the pivotal points in the game were Riordan and Hart's injuries.

There's 3 of us who go to the games, and all to a man on sunday asked the same questions. What does he do, and what is he good at? None of us could answer?:confused:

gobragh1875
24-08-2010, 07:07 PM
The crab never saw him make a forward pass all game

Sprouleflyer
24-08-2010, 08:04 PM
To be fair to De Graaf, the ball bounces which allows the rangers player the chance to clear.

If the ball had just a bit more pace on it and stays off the grass, De Graaf would have scored.

basehibby
24-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I think the OP is a pathetic attempt to manufacture an excuse to have a pop at the manager by ripping into our new signing before he's had a proper chance to prove himself.

De Graff has already scored twice for us though - albeit on the losing side - and showed just what his box-to-box-ability is about by getting into position to score what certainly looked like a sitter in the first place (last season I don't think any of our midfield would have been likely to make that run).

Replays subsequently showed that the ball was nicked off De Graffs toe by a brilliant piece of defending. De Graff couldn't really have hit any it earlier because the ball simply wouldn't have been there.

In summary I think the OP is talking utter gash and will suffer entirely deserved ridicule when this thread is dredged up in a few months time. :bye:

DH1875
24-08-2010, 09:28 PM
This and your other post about Brown being culpable for 2 goals?

Some Hibby you are :rolleyes:

De Graaf should have burst the net, but give credit to some fantastic defending by Bougherra.

Firstly you picked me up wrong regarding Brown. I said he could be seen to have been culpable for a couple of their goals. Not he was. Think that he should keep the jersey and would be my No1 at the club.
As for the miss. Sorry mate but not taking it back. Yip it was fantastic defending but he should have burst the net.

deeks01
25-08-2010, 04:31 AM
This time last year we were slating stokes "hes had a good few games now he must be match fit and he still cannae score , get him tae ****" was the gist of many posts. This time next year we'll all regard de graaf as a class player and potential captain imho. He WILL come good for us!!!

GGTTH

marinello59
25-08-2010, 05:32 AM
The crab never saw him make a forward pass all game

Perhaps you should have opened your eyes then. De Graaf was always looking to drive things forward when we had possession. I really can't understand the slating he is getting here from some. He played well. The fact that he was in a position to score in the first place would suggest that we have a midfielder more than willing to help out the forwards when required. Two league games in to his career and some are already writing him off. By the end of the season I would wager he has won a lot of you over. (I hope.:greengrin)

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Perhaps you should have opened your eyes then. De Graaf was always looking to drive things forward when we had possession. I really can't understand the slating he is getting here from some. He played well. The fact that he was in a position to score in the first place would suggest that we have a midfielder more than willing to help out the forwards when required. Two league games in to his career and some are already writing him off. By the end of the season I would wager he has won a lot of you over. (I hope.:greengrin)

I will be another who has to open my eyes then, as i did not see him playing well. I did not see a box to box player, i certainly did not see him driving things forward. I saw a player who was very uncomfortable on the ball, gave it away a lot, and never won a tackle. Yes only 2 league games, but for me he has to improve a hell of a lot.

bighairyfaeleith
25-08-2010, 07:08 AM
I like de graaf, he is still settling in but he does seem to like to run forward with the ball which our team is sadly lacking at the moment. He is also not shy about having a pop at goal.

Ok he didn't take his chance against rangers but he will settle down,now come on BH lets get behind the team and start supporting:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I like de graaf, he is still settling in but he does seem to like to run forward with the ball which our team is sadly lacking at the moment. He is also not shy about having a pop at goal.

Ok he didn't take his chance against rangers but he will settle down,now come on BH lets get behind the team and start supporting:greengrin

:greengrin i will try.

skipster7
25-08-2010, 08:24 AM
surely his being 3 yards out and keeping up with galbraiths pace confirms he'll be getting into the box and getting goals, i do think he had to be much more aggresive and not allow bougherra to clear though but im sure he knows that himself.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 08:46 AM
surely his being 3 yards out and keeping up with galbraiths pace confirms he'll be getting into the box and getting goals, i do think he had to be much more aggresive and not allow bougherra to clear though but im sure he knows that himself.

Would you call Hart or Hanlon box to box full backs? They were both in the oppositions box at least once on Sunday. Sorry, but i just don't see what he does? And we must have the least skillful Dutchman on the planet.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2010, 09:58 AM
He was better Stevie but whaur's the 'box tae box'? :dunno:

Well he did get beyond our strikers for THAT chance. I agree that he's not really lived up to Yogi's description as yet but I firmly believe that from his attributes and style of play on show on Sunday, that that won't turn out to be a misnomer.

His ability is not in question given his pedigree, it's whether he can adapt to the Scottish game. It's a big question certainly, but one that I think he will answer positively with big performances and a fair few goals.

McBride's absence on Sunday may allow him to take more responsibility, depending on how we set up.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Well he did get beyond our strikers for THAT chance. I agree that he's not really lived up to Yogi's description as yet but I firmly believe that from his attributes and style of play on show on Sunday, that that won't turn out to be a misnomer.

His ability is not in question given his pedigree, it's whether he can adapt to the Scottish game. It's a big question certainly, but one that I think he will answer positively with big performances and a fair few goals.

McBride's absence on Sunday may allow him to take more responsibility, depending on how we set up.

I think it is? Is he skillful i don't think so? Does he have a trick, i don't see one? is he a good passer, well no evidence yet? Can he tackle, thats another no? Maybe its just me, but i don't see a player there, i hope I'm proved wrong, but imho its not looking good.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I think it is? Is he skillful i don't think so? Does he have a trick, i don't see one? is he a good passer, well no evidence yet? Can he tackle, thats another no? Maybe its just me, but i don't see a player there, i hope I'm proved wrong, but imho its not looking good.

Time will tell BH - I can appreciate your concerns to an extent, but it's very, very early days, and he's had two pretty full on fixtures as his introduction to the SPL - I agree that he doesn't seem to have a great deal of technical finesse from what we've seen so far, but neither has Scott Brown and de Graaf looks like he will be that type of player - perhaps his direct, 'all action style' will be more suited to the teams full of hammer throwers that make up the majority of this league.

We obviously differ on his potential, but I've seen enough in him already to be fairly convinced that he'll be far from a dud for us. In any case, I feel it's far too early to cast serious aspertions on his ability - as someone else pointed out, just as things weren't looking good for Stokes last year he banged in a couple against St. Johnstone and never looked back - that was was 5 games into the season and he'd already had good experience in the SPL. Edwin deserves a bit of time.

hibsbollah
25-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Gotta say that De Graafs chance was our moment. A horrible fluffed line that's cost us a chance of taking something from the game. He also doesn't really look like the "box-to-box" midfielder JH billed him as.

He wasnt great on Sunday but he's shown enough, especially in the Maribor game to give me faith that he will weigh in with goals. He's getting into the right positions with late runs into the box, which is what we were told he'd do.

Caroline Hibby
25-08-2010, 11:18 AM
No point in comparing D-G to Nish, Rankin etc. We've seen more than enough of the guys who are consistently slated and they will all be moved on ... eventually. D-G has already scored twice and got closer to scoring than anyone in a Hibs shirt on Sunday. I like the look of him, 'though no doubt he is still off the pace a bit. Interesting how some guys can't see a real player, but will defend guys who are journeymen at best.

Gatecrasher
25-08-2010, 11:19 AM
i think he will turn out to be a good signing for us, he's not played brilliantly so far but i have seen glimpses of a good playmaker with some good passes and running, Once he get used to the way the SPL is played he will begin to shine - i hope the fans give him time to adjust but judging by some of the posts some have already made their mind up :rolleyes:

basehibby
25-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Come on BH - don't you think he deserves a bit of time to prove himself just like his manager :greengrin

First impressions can often be deceptive - Stokes looked off the pace on his arrival and came good.
Deeks looked overweight and rusty on his return from the smellies and came good.

FWIW I never expected him to be full of tricks and flicks - what I expected to see is a player who can read the game and has the energy and wherewithal to make intelligent runs and score goals from midfield - thus far I've not been disappointed in that reszpect although certainly I'm no different in wanting to see him exert more of an influence on games - I'm hoping that will come as he gets more matches under his belt and establishes himself in the side - I think his record in Dutch football promises exactly that - time will tell.

SneakersO'Toole
25-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Hmm, people on here after selective minds. De Graff was our best player by far against Maribor at home.

2 average games and already he's being written off by some. You couldn't make it up.

When it comes to player threads on Hibs.net these days you either have one of two things. People trying to stick up for indefensible donkey's, aka Hogg or Nish.

Or people lambasting new players before they have even accrued 5 appearences for the club.

Sense of perspective woudn't go a miss in many instances...

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Come on BH - don't you think he deserves a bit of time to prove himself just like his manager :greengrin

First impressions can often be deceptive - Stokes looked off the pace on his arrival and came good.
Deeks looked overweight and rusty on his return from the smellies and came good.

FWIW I never expected him to be full of tricks and flicks - what I expected to see is a player who can read the game and has the energy and wherewithal to make intelligent runs and score goals from midfield - thus far I've not been disappointed in that reszpect although certainly I'm no different in wanting to see him exert more of an influence on games - I'm hoping that will come as he gets more matches under his belt and establishes himself in the side - I think his record in Dutch football promises exactly that - time will tell.

I'm not writing him off, its far too early for that. I'm just giving my opinion on how i think he's played since signing. I want him to succeed, I'm just disappointed in what i have seen so far.

Tricla
25-08-2010, 12:32 PM
He should have got of his fat ass and went for it instead of just standing there like a tit.

:yawn: