PDA

View Full Version : Media Strange quote from Yogi

CallumLaidlaw
21-08-2010, 08:14 AM
In today's star..

"we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.
But I'm no different from any other manager.
I think I've spent £75,000, and £50,000 was on Alan Gow in a transfer tribunal.
It would be nice to sit down and say when am I gonna buy someone?"

Why did we have to go to a tribunal over Gow?
And is Yogi getting frustrated already with his budget?

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2010, 08:15 AM
He bought Gow for Falkirk.

oneone73
21-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Weird. Didn't we buy Stokes? Or was Yogi not involved in that one?

BEEJ
21-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Weird. Didn't we buy Stokes? Or was Yogi not involved in that one?
Could have been a sign-on fee paid to the player rather than a payment made to Sunderland FC. Confusing but that might be where Yogi is coming from if he's talking about old-fashioned transfer fees.

However, more recently I thought we had to pay a nominal sum to Norwich for young Stephens? I suspect that alone would have been as much as £50k.

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I understand that Yogi is unhappy at the lack of funding, as players have been released, and the resulting monies freed up by wages have not been put back into his spending budget.

PaulSmith
21-08-2010, 09:54 AM
I understand that Yogi is unhappy at the lack of funding, as players have been released, and the resulting monies freed up by wages have not been put back into his spending budget.

I agree and he's being very smart with his media comments in setting expectations and at the same time pointing out that he's moved on 10 players and brought in less.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree and he's being very smart with his media comments in setting expectations and at the same time pointing out that he's moved on 10 players and brought in less.

Personally i don't feel its smart at all. All he's done is pointed out the facts. He's like every manager, they always want more players more money, we the fans are no different.

marinello59
21-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Personally i don't feel its smart at all. All he's done is pointed out the facts. He's like every manager, they always want more players more money, we the fans are no different.

Exactly. I wouldn't read to much in to it at all.

bandylegs_jLeighton
21-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I am certain that Yogi spent 50k taking Gow to Falkirk. I remember him saying that is all he really spent during his entire tenure there-are you sure this quote does not relate to that?

I am posting from my phone, so can not do a quick check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toaods
21-08-2010, 10:27 AM
SOmeone is about to sign William Gallas. There won't be an official transfer fee but the overall package will cost the 'lucky' club an absolute fortune, so this yardstick of how much a manager has spent can be misleading.

Vini1875
21-08-2010, 10:45 AM
we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.

That doesn't make any sense. We're a blueprint for any other club our size. Sometimes Yogis comments don't make that much sense, but then again I wouldn't trust the star to get anything right. As far as I know a budget is agreed with the manager and he can spend it any way he pleases on one player with high wages or half a dozen on more modest wages. Yogi wants more money to spend on the team which is fair enough so do the fans, while the board have to balance the books.

Surely how much money is available has a great deal to do with ST sales. If Yogi is getting less it might be because less of us, the fans have put our money into the club.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2010, 10:49 AM
we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.

That doesn't make any sense. We're a blueprint for any other club our size. Sometimes Yogis comments don't make that much sense, but then again I wouldn't trust the star to get anything right. As far as I know a budget is agreed with the manager and he can spend it any way he pleases on one player with high wages or half a dozen on more modest wages. Yogi wants more money to spend on the team which is fair enough so do the fans, while the board have to balance the books.

Surely how much money is available has a great deal to do with ST sales. If Yogi is getting less it might be because less of us, the fans have put our money into the club.

As you say its in the star, and the whole lot could be complete bollox. Managers don't tell the press the truth anyway. They just tell them what they want to hear. You very very rarely hear any manager say anything different.

CropleyWasGod
21-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I am certain that Yogi spent 50k taking Gow to Falkirk. I remember him saying that is all he really spent during his entire tenure there-are you sure this quote does not relate to that?

I am posting from my phone, so can not do a quick check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct.

From The Scotsman:-

"I have been in it seven years now and all I have spent is £75k. £50k of that was on Alan Gow"

So... bin yer Daily Rag, and read a real paper :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
21-08-2010, 01:23 PM
The only stange quotes from Yogi are the ones that anyone can understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, he's giving the job a right good go.

Hibernian Verse
21-08-2010, 01:41 PM
That quote is from 2 years ago.

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2010, 03:03 PM
The only stange quotes from Yogi are the ones that anyone can understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, he's giving the job a right good go.

:greengrin:greengrin