PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Hibernian Historical Trust, Latest Exhibition

marinello59
18-08-2010, 09:25 PM
HOME: The Changing Face of Easter Road Stadium

A new exhibition charting the history of the beautiful game in Scotland’s capital will be available for view on Saturday 21st and Saturday 28th August. ‘Home: The Changing Face of Easter Road’ is latest exhibition offering from The Hibernian Historical Trust.

In addition to charting the birth of the game in Edinburgh, the exhibition illustrates 27 football grounds across the city, including the early homes of Hibernian.

Highlights of the exhibition include maps, supplied by the National Library of Scotland, showing the location of the very first Easter Road Stadium and the subsequent move to its current location in Albion Place, together with Architect’s drawings of all of the pavilions and grandstands that have been built at the home of Hibernian.

Tom Wright, Curator, Hibernian Historical Trust, said: “HOME provides a fascinating insight to the development of the stadium and grounds as we know them today. From the original small wooden pavilion and a pitch circled by basic fencing for crowd control, through the high terracing of the 50’s and 60’s, to the world class modern facilities that Hibernian enjoys today.

“The exhibition is a must see for anyone with an interest in football and the role it has played in Edinburgh.”

The exhibition also contains many interesting artefacts and stories, including the proposal made in the early twentieth century to move the Hibernian grounds away from Easter Road.

The exhibition is being held in the gallery within the West Stand, Hibernian Football Club, Albion Place, and will be open between 2.30pm – 4.30pm on Saturday, 21 August 2010, and Saturday, 28 August 2010. Admission is free.

Boris
19-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I'd love to see this exhibition, partcularly as I've got a keen interest in the old, long gone grounds in Edinburgh. Only problem is I plan to take in a game elsewhere, probably Leith Athletic's games, on both Saturday afternoons with Hibs not playing until the Sunday. Realise that's my choice & not moaning cos I know from past experience how much goes into those exhibitions including being there during the times it's open but any plans to have it open any midweek evening(s) at all which might open it up to a wider audience?

oregonhibby
29-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Nearly 200 supporters have been to see the exhibition over the two weekends.

It is likely a couple of evening sessions will be arranged to allow those who still want to come along but couldn't make the Saturday sessions.

Boris
29-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Nearly 200 supporters have been to see the exhibition over the two weekends.

It is likely a couple of evening sessions will be arranged to allow those who still want to come along but couldn't make the Saturday sessions.

Excellent - look forward to seeing the exhibition if midweek session arranged. Cheers.

Stantons Angel
29-08-2010, 07:57 AM
good news. i will certainly be along to see another interesting display from the historical society.

well done to you!:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
29-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I was down Saturday to see it..... Brilliantly put together.....:top marks

Really interesting to read all the history behind ground. Well done to all concerned for their efforts in piecing it together