PDA

View Full Version : Man City

The Silver Fox
18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
James Milner £24m and probably at least £100,000 a week. For a player that was not even a stick on for a place in the England team. That transfer also includes Steven Ireland in a move to Aston Villa and he must be worth a few million in todays market.

Craig Bellamy to Cardiff, so desperate to play in the Championship for a Welsh club. Yeah right! After negotiating £35,000 a week and also £65,000 a week from Man City just to havehim off the books. He cost millions to buy just two years ago.

Has the world gone completely mad? I am beginning to really dislike Man City and everthing they now stand for. They used to be a solid city club with a loyal fanbase. They are now the folly of some Arab Shiek who wants a new toy. His spending is making Roman Abvramovich look like Tight Wad. Fingers crossed they win nothing this season.

There was a time when you won a trophy, these people obviously think it is there to be bought.

down-the-slope
18-08-2010, 08:16 PM
its got way too silly and no more a contest of footballing skill and just a game of investment chess....

Was said on radio today that since early June Man City have spent £2million PER DAY on transfers alone :dizzy: make clubs restricted to turnover matching expenditure in some manner

sooner Uefa

Ed De Gramo
18-08-2010, 08:18 PM
James Milner £24m and probably at least £100,000 a week. For a player that was not even a stick on for a place in the England team. That transfer also includes Steven Ireland in a move to Aston Villa and he must be worth a few million in todays market.

Craig Bellamy to Cardiff, so desperate to play in the Championship for a Welsh club. Yeah right! After negotiating £35,000 a week and also £65,000 a week from Man City just to havehim off the books. He cost millions to buy just two years ago.

Has the world gone completely mad? I am beginning to really dislike Man City and everthing they now stand for. They used to be a solid city club with a loyal fanbase. They are now the folly of some Arab Shiek who wants a new toy. His spending is making Roman Abvramovich look like Tight Wad. Fingers crossed they win nothing this season.

There was a time when you won a trophy, these people obviously think it is there to be bought.

Thing with Man City is that they are trying to buy success and once again they'll win hee haw this season :faf::faf:

Horrible club who will be up ***** creek when the Arab Shiek gets bored of his play thing.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Agree with all you say.

Will be interesting to see if Milner and balotelli contribute much more than ireland and Bellamy.

Unfortunately there ain't many true peoples clubs left in the epl that can be reasonably successful.

I think all the other clubs spending shows what a good job moyes is doing at everton.

At The Edge
18-08-2010, 08:20 PM
From what i've read on this Milner has doubled his wages from his Villa days, no idea what he was on at Villa, Ireland was valued at 8 Million by City on his transfer to Villa, Man City are now saying that is all their transfer dealings for this window done.

HibbyAndy
18-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Id rather have the German laddie Ozul (sp?) Ahead of Milner and he cost Real Madrid 12 million.
Says it all really.

woodythehibee
18-08-2010, 08:22 PM
spot on, it's ruining the game as we know it.

There really has to be caps (possibly a wage cap that has to relate to the club's turnover) so that the "cheaters" can be forced out.

GlesgaeHibby
18-08-2010, 08:22 PM

And on the same day the Blackpool chairman resigns due to lack of support for a wage cap. He was trying to run Blackpool sensibly, live within their means, but of course everyone is just hungry for success and money talks.

Absolutely despise Man City.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Id rather have the German laddie Ozul (sp?) Ahead of Milner and he cost Real Madrid 12 million.
Says it all really.

Difference is, they wouldn't have a chance of signing ozil. He is A-league now while, while city have to signed mercenary players who are "alright".
I'm sure the likes of Lescott and Adebayor won't give a hoot about getting a game tho, with all that time to spend their ever so hard earned cash

Pretty Boy
18-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Difference is, they wouldn't have a chance of signing ozil. He is A-league now while, while city have to signed mercenary players who are "alright".
I'm sure the likes of Lescott and Adebayor won't give a hoot about getting a game tho, with all that time to spend their ever so hard earned cash

:agree:

Players with real ambitions to play for top sides will always pick the AC Milans, Real Madrids, Manchester Utds and Barcelonas of the world ahead of the Manchester Citys and other 'manufactured' big clubs. The only player Man City have signed this summer that i would imagine had other teams really interested was David Silva.

They will inevitaly win a trophy, possily even a league title out of this 'money no object. perioed but they are left with a totally unsustainable business and at the mercy of one man/family. Even Chelsea realised a long time ago that even with the backing of Abramovich they still had to get their business in order and summers that involved 100s of millions of pounds of transfer fees are finished.

jacomo
18-08-2010, 08:53 PM
And on the same day the Blackpool chairman resigns due to lack of support for a wage cap. He was trying to run Blackpool sensibly, live within their means, but of course everyone is just hungry for success and money talks.

Absolutely despise Man City.

hfc rd
18-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Heard Barcelona have offered them Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Their spending is just getting ridicoulous now and it is spoiling the beautiful game, big time now.

PeterboroHibee
18-08-2010, 08:59 PM
The way they have gone about trying to achieve success is ridiculous, and just isnt going to work. The amount of egos at that club is going to be almost impossible to manage, and the amount of players for each position, who all arguably could be starting is never going to bring success.

The money thing was quite entertaining at the start, seeing who they could bring in, but I am getting a bit fed up of them.

IWasThere2016
18-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Agree - the money in top level football is disgusting IMHO.

jgl07
18-08-2010, 09:06 PM
And what exactly are Man City doing different than other clubs in the past other than scale?

Chelsea spent very big to break into the upper escalons. Now they are moaning that another club is following the path they laid down. It seems to be a pull the drawbridge up mentality that would allow Chelsea and Man United to dominate English football for ever.

Man City have a far better basic support over the years than Chelsea and more history for that matter.

It is always going to cost more to attract top players when you are not a regular in the Champions' League.

Bookkeeper
18-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Performance enhancing drug taking is outlawed in football. When is performance enhancing financial doping going to be treated the same?

Anyone from FIFA / UEFA got the bottle for that one?

And as for Man City - what will be the long term problems left for the heart and soul of the club (the fans) for the sake of some short term glory? Hope they enjoy it while it lasts. The precedents been set - look at Leeds and Portsmouth.

Rory89
18-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Got mixed feelings on City.

On one hand I find the money they're spending ridiculous, it's actually obscene and wrong that a club would even think of giving someone 500k a week to kick a ball about. On the other hand every time I hear Alex Ferguson whinge that they're buying the title the sheer hypocricy of it all kind of makes you want to see City get it right up them.

I'm not saying it's right because it isn't, but imagine you're a City fan from Manchester in your mid 30's who's club has never won a trophy in your lifetime. All your life smug United fans have laughed at your club and you've had nothing to work with whatsoever, every time someone slags City you have to just take it. Suddenly they're all royally ****ing themselves and crying foul, I don't know about you lot but I'd be loving it, and if they started actually winning things I'd find it hard to give a proverbial how much the club has spent.

heretoday
18-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Can there be anyone anywhere with any sense who thinks these outrageous amounts of money being paid to average quality footballers are justified?

We all just put up with it like lambs.

I really wouldn't mind if I thought the guys were worth it - someone like Best, Maradona, Cruyff etc whom you would cross the street to see and not grudge the money they earned. But there are blokes no one's ever heard of in the lower reaches of the Championship getting a king's ransom.

Oh what's the use? It's a market blah blah....

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 09:25 PM

On one hand I find the money they're spending ridiculous, it's actually obscene and wrong that a club would even think of giving someone 500k a week to kick a ball about. On the other hand every time I hear Alex Ferguson whinge that they're buying the title the sheer hypocricy of it all kind of makes you want to see City get it right up them.

I'm not saying it's right because it isn't, but imagine you're a City fan from Manchester in your mid 30's who's club has never won a trophy in your lifetime. All your life smug United fans have laughed at your club and you've had nothing to work with whatsoever, every time someone slags City you have to just take it. Suddenly they're all royally ****ing themselves and crying foul, I don't know about you lot but I'd be loving it, and if they started actually winning things I'd find it hard to give a proverbial how much the club has spent.

Ive supported City for as long as Ive supported Hibs which is over 20 years now.. Do you have any idea what it's been like watch United win trophy after trophy in that time ?? If you can't then , stop for a second and imagine if Hertz were winning trophies nearly every season....

Our owners bought the club and want to spend there wads of cash ??? So what ???

What would happen if Tom Farmer all of a sudden said , '' you know what , I am going to plough millions and millions of pounds into HIbs and make them compete with the OF '' What we would as Hibs fans do ?? Would we embrace this and let him have his wish or would we say ' No Sir Tom , don't bother , we don't want to win trophys every season , we're happy being mediocre and finishing 3rd at best''

With this nefound wealth , brings new found critics who want us to fall.. Its part of the package now.... However , fans of teams such as Arsenal , Liverpool and more or less every other team in the EPL with the exception of maybe Chelski and Man United , would they would swap there financial positions with us any day of the week ??

Of course they would.............

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Says it all really.

or you could get Ozil and his midfielder partner in the WC Khadira (also signed by madrid this summer) for less than the £24m deal (sky sports states £16m cash + ireland £8m is the deal villa have got)

Ic really really hope city dont win anything again, yes i am a united fan but, the fact they volleyed hughes into touch for too many draws, only for mancini to get just as many, there idiot of a chief executive going around new york shouting in a pub full of fans how they will be better than Man United ever could be!! then they go spend ridiculous money on quite frankly horrible players:

Baletti for someone like Mourinho to say he has a bigger head than me, this guy must be off the chart and then goes on telly wearing his teams rivals strip what kind of fanny does that?

Milner is good but not £24m worth thats for sure, theres alot better about when u think wesley snejder cost inter €15m only a year ago, and then if u double that after the season and world cup he had, is roughly the same price as milner...do me a favour.:grr:

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Says it all really.

Obviously City wouldn't have paid £24million but Real Madrid are in the Champions league.. City have to pay over the odds to get there players...

Ryan69
18-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Not sure how accurate it is but read that Cardiff are paying 50% of 90k, how is this possible? A team with administration hanging over them who aren't even in the top flight..how is this possible! Only reason I can see is that the English game is about togo boom! Quite right too I'd say as team like Hibs try for years to balance the books,but what is the point if teams are allowed to just pile up debt like no tomorrow!

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Obviously City wouldn't have paid £24million but Real Madrid are in the Champions league.. City have to pay over the odds to get there players...

nonsense, the clubs wont raise a price for the player because the team buying isnt in europe.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 09:45 PM
or you could get Ozil and his midfielder partner in the WC Khadira (also signed by madrid this summer) for less than the £24m deal (sky sports states £16m cash + ireland £8m is the deal villa have got)

Ic really really hope city dont win anything again, yes i am a united fan but, the fact they volleyed hughes into touch for too many draws, only for mancini to get just as many, there idiot of a chief executive going around new york shouting in a pub full of fans how they will be better than Man United ever could be!! then they go spend ridiculous money on quite frankly horrible players:

Baletti for someone like Mourinho to say he has a bigger head than me, this guy must be off the chart and then goes on telly wearing his teams rivals strip what kind of fanny does that?

Milner is good but not £24m worth thats for sure, theres alot better about when u think wesley snejder cost inter €15m only a year ago, and then if u double that after the season and world cup he had, is roughly the same price as milner...do me a favour.:grr:

Nuff Said.....

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 09:48 PM
nonsense, the clubs wont raise a price for the player because the team buying isnt in europe.

Of course they will raise there price... If City are interested then the club will set the bar at an inflated price... The same happened with Chelski when Abramovich took over.............

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Of course they will raise there price... If City are interested then the club will set the bar at an inflated price... The same happened with Chelski when Abramovich took over.............

yes but its got nothing to do with the champions league as u stated.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I hate the huge amonts of money being spent by the top clubs, or like Man City or Chelsea the newly minted clubs, because it forces other clubs to spent money they dont have just to have a slim hope of competing.

I hate the massive wages, not because players shouldnt get the most they can out of the game, but because in reality they game doesnt generate the sort of money the players take out of it and that will end up a disaster for many clubs.

But, for supporters of the likes of Man Utd or Arsenal or even Chelsea to start moaning about the disgusting amount of money being spent by City is total hypocracy. Wayne Rooney is on about 100k a week at Utd, do you think he would be there if Everton had been the club with the money instead of Utd I doubt it.

And as for buying the league ..... Jack Walker did that at Blackburn years ago, its not exactly new.

Green_one
18-08-2010, 10:00 PM
People who say City are just doing what Man united and Chelsea have done are missing the picture.

I think none of us have a problem with teams buying players and some can buy more than others. The issue with City is the scale of their club, the scale of their spending and the impact on the market. They basically have no real plan apart from spend spend spend.

They have to buy for over the odds, as no-one really would choose them and pay way over the odds too. That inflates the market across the whole of football. Yes , Real do similar but they are operating at the elite end. City are spending real money on middling players. All this for a club with a support of about 30 odd thousand each week.

Is this good? Are they losing players almost as quickly as they sign others - yes. Are they getting ripped off - yes. Have they any possibility of this model working - no. Basically they would have to grab a substancial part of the Man United support. Not going to happen.

So far all this has got them.......... 5th place in the league woo hooo

They have some good players but they also have misfits and players who are too ready to follow the money. Yes all players chase cash but not to the point that you would play for a second rate team in England, who have no history of winning and no champions league place. All this and they have to overcome , Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, not to mention the other up and coming clubs like Spurs.

Will they win anything? Will they self implode? Will the arabs get bored? Are they damaging football? I confess there are not many saints out there but City are by far the worse offender.
And others are following this model to one degree or other. God help us all. Maybe only Arsene can save us from the madness by winning with his home improvement style.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Yes it has. For example if City had tried to sign Ozil then City's asking price would have been a lot higher that Madrid's.... The reason being that the player wouldn't be playing in the CL.. Bremen would look at this and realise that City would happily pay that bit more for the player...

Anyway , Ozil had a year left on his deal.. If he had 2 or 3 years left , do you honestly think he would've went for £12million ??? Not a hope....

hibeeleicester
18-08-2010, 10:05 PM
If the Arab sheiks bought hibs we would all be creaming ourselfs.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Correct.

jane_says
18-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Loved it on saturday to see tottenham totally outplay these clowns and had it not been for the keeper they chucked out on loan last season because he wasn't seen as good enough, AND cost them hee haw it could have been 3, 4 nout at ht.

24 million PLUS Stephen Ireland. Villa haven't done badly at all. He'll be a great player for them.

7Hero
18-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Agree with all you say.

Unfortunately there ain't many true peoples clubs left in the epl that can be reasonably successful.

id disagree callum at the end of the day if man city arent a peoples club then who are ?? they have lived in the shadow of the biggest club on the planet (ok debatable now) but the most famous club on the planet and the 2nd most decorated club in english football and by recent records the most succesful in last 20 years.

Its not the fans fault they have loadsa cash. If it happened to hibs would we not still be a people's club ? I mean there is not one of us who would love to see us have oodles of cash which our owner could afford to lose at no risk to the football club..

i remember thinking a few years back what a great thing for man city they can get it right up the utd, bet there fans are loving it. Ok, ill agree now its all a bit of a joke but its not the fans fault..

On the earlier post saying they should cap spending to income this wont work, it should be like american sport where income is distributed evenly throughout the league, but this will never happen of course..

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Loved it on saturday to see tottenham totally outplay these clowns and had it not been for the keeper they chucked out on loan last season because he wasn't seen as good enough, AND cost them hee haw it could have been 3, 4 nout at ht.

24 million PLUS Stephen Ireland. Villa haven't done badly at all. He'll be a great player for them.

Yeah but it wasn't 3 or 4 was it ??? It finished 0-0 and Spurs only really outplayed City in the first half....

Also , it was £16million plus Stephen Ireland.... The deal combined was £24million....

Ryan69
18-08-2010, 10:13 PM
That's your opinion..net your a Liverpool fan though lol

Green_one
18-08-2010, 10:25 PM

I honestly would not be. If I could pick an option it would be more like Barca where the fans own the club.

The arabs would not care a jot about Hibs and eventually it would all go badly wrong. And for what? A cup win or two. No thanks. Hibs, like City would not be able to support a huge level of spending. What sort of guy would come to the SPL.

This is the Hearts scenario. There is a certain order of things. Not always but God is on the side of the big battalions. And the guys with money are not sentimental. Look at Portsmouth.
This City stuff goes beyond SKY, players wages and silly transfers. Its some very big money playing God with clubs that used to be part of a working class tradition but are now corporate toys. It cannot have a long term future. It worked for Chelsea because they were the first and made good decisions. A london club can take a risky route. But it could all end tomorrow. One day someone is going to ask Prince Whatever of City what he has spent the country's money on. He will have no answer.

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah but it wasn't 3 or 4 was it ??? It finished 0-0 and Spurs only really outplayed City in the first half....

Also , it was £16million plus Stephen Ireland.... The deal combined was £24million....

sounds to me like your a city fan? this correct?

Skanko79
18-08-2010, 11:17 PM
What a lot of ****ing ***** im reading here.

Man City have been my english team since i was wee. I have made several trips down to see them at Maine Road and also COMS.

Are you lot honestly going to sit and tell me that if Hibs suddenly came into a few bob you wouldnt be delighted or exited to watch your club attract some of the worlds top players and start challenging for the title? I know i certainly would. City still have and always will have their true identity unlike manchina united on the otherside of manchester. City always will be a locally supported team.

And for those who are saying money doesnt buy success are you blind? chelsea??

if anything it makes the game more entertaining. as for this wage cap. not a chance in hell. will never happen. never.

Speedy
18-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes it has. For example if City had tried to sign Ozil then City's asking price would have been a lot higher that Madrid's.... The reason being that the player wouldn't be playing in the CL.. Bremen would look at this and realise that City would happily pay that bit more for the player...

Anyway , Ozil had a year left on his deal.. If he had 2 or 3 years left , do you honestly think he would've went for £12million ??? Not a hope....

Mince. The club ask more from City because they have shown that money is no object, nothing to do with whether they are in the champions league or not. They may however need to pay higher wages to attract players but that's not the same as what you're suggesting.

Skanko79
18-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Mince. The club ask more from City because they have shown that money is no object, nothing to do with whether they are in the champions league or not. They may however need to pay higher wages to attract players but that's not the same as what you're suggesting.

mind you. as well as Oezil, Real got the boy Khadira from Leverkuesen (i think or Stuttgart) both for a combined total of around 25m. no a bad bit of business.

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 11:35 PM
What a lot of ****ing ***** im reading here.

Man City have been my english team since i was wee. I have made several trips down to see them at Maine Road and also COMS.

Are you lot honestly going to sit and tell me that if Hibs suddenly came into a few bob you wouldnt be delighted or exited to watch your club attract some of the worlds top players and start challenging for the title? I know i certainly would. City still have and always will have their true identity unlike manchina united on the otherside of manchester. City always will be a locally supported team.

And for those who are saying money doesnt buy success are you blind? chelsea??

if anything it makes the game more entertaining. as for this wage cap. not a chance in hell. will never happen. never.

can u confirm if city has blue ketchup or is that just hearsay?

jane_says
18-08-2010, 11:40 PM

Which was down to a player that they didn't want last year and cost them nothing. Silva, Toure and Kolarov were rank.

Fair enough with the Ireland deal, still a much better deal for Villa imo.

Skanko79
18-08-2010, 11:43 PM
can u confirm if city has blue ketchup or is that just hearsay?

they had it towards the end at maine road but its back to normal at the parts of the ground ive been to at coms. they may have it in the corporate areas but its deffo not been introduced yet.

did you know the only place where mcdonalds M arches arent red and yellow is at the mcdonalds in besiktas's stadium where they are black and white as red and yellow are the colours of galatasaray. funny old game eh haha!!

steviecarnie
18-08-2010, 11:52 PM
they had it towards the end at maine road but its back to normal at the parts of the ground ive been to at coms. they may have it in the corporate areas but its deffo not been introduced yet.

did you know the only place where mcdonalds M arches arent red and yellow is at the mcdonalds in besiktas's stadium where they are black and white as red and yellow are the colours of galatasaray. funny old game eh haha!!

not to mention no green straws, pepperami's or eggs benedict at ibrox,

Skanko79
19-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Which was down to a player that they didn't want last year and cost them nothing. Silva, Toure and Kolarov were rank.

Fair enough with the Ireland deal, still a much better deal for Villa imo.

eh??? silva had his best season at valencia. yaya played regularly in a team that won its domestic league (not to mention he was in a midfield with 2 of the best midfielders on the planet) and Kolarov is one of the highest scoring/assisting full backs in the modern game.

jgl07
19-08-2010, 12:05 AM
I agree no real impact on transfer fees but it will have a big impact on the wages that have to be paid to attract players of the right quality.

Lucius Apuleius
19-08-2010, 05:27 AM
And what exactly are Man City doing different than other clubs in the past other than scale?

Chelsea spent very big to break into the upper escalons. Now they are moaning that another club is following the path they laid down. It seems to be a pull the drawbridge up mentality that would allow Chelsea and Man United to dominate English football for ever.

Man City have a far better basic support over the years than Chelsea and more history for that matter.

It is always going to cost more to attract top players when you are not a regular in the Champions' League.

:agree: Agreed jgl. I reckon certain other clubs are just getting peed off because they now have another rival to their duopoly. As stated many times on this thread, the vast majority of us would be having babies to the arabs if one of them wanted to spend that money on Hibs.

Antifa Hibs
19-08-2010, 07:43 AM
I can't wait for Citeh to go tits up. And it will happen. £100,000a week for James Milner, nearer £200,000 a week for that poor mans Patrick Viera (Yaya Toure) and £24m for a 20 year old kid who's hardly kicked a baw :rotflmao:

They have a 49 man squad, don't they release they need to name just 25 players for Europe and the league etc?

Clubs spending money doesn't bother me (even though it is nothing short of a scandal these days), some have earned it. Yer Liverpools and Man Utd's, Madrid and Barca, the 2 Milan teams, they are the biggest clubs on the planet, he clubs have been built up, they've earned to right to spend millions. City on the otherhand are a nothing team. Always have been, but now they are spending more money than Milan, Bayern, Inter and Marseille (proper football teams) put together.

And City are still a peoples club. Don't make me laugh, their ticket prices have almost doubled since sheikh mansour took over. It's not a football club for the fans. It's a billionaires play thing being turned into a corporate guest machine.

Antifa Hibs
19-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Ive supported City for as long as Ive supported Hibs which is over 20 years now.. Do you have any idea what it's been like watch United win trophy after trophy in that time ?? If you can't then , stop for a second and imagine if Hertz were winning trophies nearly every season....

What would happen if Tom Farmer all of a sudden said , '' you know what , I am going to plough millions and millions of pounds into HIbs and make them compete with the OF '' What we would as Hibs fans do ?? Would we embrace this and let him have his wish or would we say ' No Sir Tom , don't bother , we don't want to win trophys every season , we're happy being mediocre and finishing 3rd at best''

With this nefound wealth , brings new found critics who want us to fall.. Its part of the package now.... However , fans of teams such as Arsenal , Liverpool and more or less every other team in the EPL with the exception of maybe Chelski and Man United , would they would swap there financial positions with us any day of the week ??

Fk man utd and fk hertz.

If supporting your club is all about how many trohpies you win and how many your rivals win, maybe it would be easier to buy a rangers and chelsea strip next season?

The amount of trohpies Hibs win/have won doesn't even come into it. You support your club regardless of how successful they are, go everyweek if you can even if your the worst team on earth. Go through the good times and the bad times.

I'd rather Hibs finished 2nd/3rd on our own merit than win the league by being some oil tycoons game of football manager.

Gotta laugh at City. 'Man Utd - All part-timers and gloryhunters'. Now watch in a few seasons when City are attracting 60k+ a week when their stadium is expanded when a few seasons ago they were getting 30,000 for matches :greengrin

**** modern football!

Sylar
19-08-2010, 08:15 AM
**** modern football!

About sums it up for me :agree:

Can't believe they're potentially going to pay Zlatan Ibrahimavic £500k a WEEK for kicking a ball about a patch of grass. I won't say I'm a "fan", but I enjoy watching Barcelona playing. Having said that, Zlatan is quite possibly the most overrated lump I've seen in a Barca shirt for many a season, so his being ousted from the Camp Nou wouldn't be a huge loss, especially considering his replacement.

David Villa or Zlatan Ibrahimavic? No contest.

khib70
19-08-2010, 08:22 AM

:agree: Well said sir. Awful smell of Rag on this thread. Are the naughty City people trying to get into the exclusive Top Four club? Tsk Tsk. Ruining our beautiful game

Bitterness, twistedness, inverted snobbery. And most of all, fear. It's City's money and they can do what they damn well like with it. "Hating" and "despising" a club just for having money is juvenile foot-stamping at its worst. Everybody "buys success" FFS. How did Blackburn win the Premiership? How much did the Rags pay for Berbatov, and Carrick and so on?

If Hibs suddenly acquired a wealthy benefactor, would those who find City so offensive cu up their season tickets? Some how I doubt it.

Football clubs are like people. Some are richer than others. Get over it.

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2010, 08:47 AM
No difference whatsoever between City and United, Chelsea and Liverpool. I'd probably exempt Arsenal from that criticism as they are following a somewhat different business model.

The team that spends the money on players, whether fees or wages, inevitably takes the prizes.

City were a nothing club till the Arabs moved in.

Chelsea were a nothing club till the Ruskies moved in.

United were a nothing club till that plane crash and they got the sympathy vote, then a visionary Scot had a European dream. Since then, they've made exactly the same soul-selling commercial decisions as City/Chelsea, only bad ones, as they've got in tow in with snidey Yanks who have no money and expect the fans to pay for them to own the club.

Liverpool were a nothing club till a visionary Scot had a European dream, which was realised by a self-effacing Geordie. To parrot the united case, since then, they've made exactly the same soul-selling commercial decisions as City/Chelsea, only bad ones, as they've got in tow in with snidey Yanks who have no money and expect the fans to pay for them to own the club.

All those clubs had in common was that they were city clubs, with a catchment area full of football fans, sports consumers and glory-hunters who will flock to success. Not one is inherently more or less obnoxious than any other. Even more heinous are the footballing and sporting governmental authorities who allow clubs to be used in that way.

Oh, and before people with their EPL myopia start the usual pathetic 'you're obviously an Arsenal fan', I couldn't give a toss about Arsenal or any other English league club.

I'm a Hibs fan, and if a set of billionaires with oil barrels came knocking on our door, i'd probably be both very proud and absolutely gutted at the same time, if STF told them where to go.

johnrebus
19-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Strange that it should be Manchester City in the middle of all this. A club once known as the self styled 'peoples club'.

With so much money the Arabs could have done themselves - and the world - a favour and matched every £ spent on a player with a contribution to the Pakistan flooding disaster.

Or is that too obvious?

:boo hoo:

MrHibs1982
19-08-2010, 08:58 AM
To be honest if some m/bilionaire came to hibs bought us over and started spending silly money with promises of champions league and dpmestic success - before we knew it we would;ve split the old firm once, failed in a run in europe and find ourselves in £37m of debt with no way of servicing the debt........gee doesnt it all sound a little too familiar!!! :wink:

I can honestly say i am happy with the Rod/Sir Tom way and happy we have managed to control debt, keep it low and build ourselves a wonderful 20k stadium.

These controls Uefa/Fifa are talking about, if they come in practically most EPL clubs are ****ed - man u 700m debt, liverpool 500m debt and your chelsea & city would just be down right ****ed and so far up **** creek with not so much as a tootchpick for a paddle!!q2

Expecting Rain
19-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Manchester City have every right to buy who they want and pay them what they want and i hope they succeed, jealousy is prevalent amongst their hypocritical rivals, for what it is worth i don`t think they are spending their money wisely, time will tell.
If Hibs inherited a new owner, preferably a billionare i`d be laughing my head off at Lennon and Smith not to mention the jambos moaning that they couldn`t compete.

Woody1985
19-08-2010, 09:49 AM

That's because they didn't qualify after all the other spending. I think you predicted last season it would be a top 4 for your team last year no problem. :greengrin

I actually don't mind their spending, I find it quite interesting. It's like real life Champ Man with a fudged data file on the transfer budget.

It'll be interesting to see if they can mount a challenge this season but I reckon they probably have too many players. Look at Bellamy, he was on fire at City last season and knows the league. And now because he's not fashionable he's out the door.

Woody1985
19-08-2010, 09:53 AM

The reason they'd ask you for more money is because they know you've got it and are willing to buy success. They couldn't give a toss if you were in the 3rd division or the biggest club in the world (which you'll never be).

Dr Jimmy
19-08-2010, 10:01 AM

:top marks and good luck to City. They are no different to Man Utd, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Rangers etc etc they all live beyond their means to retain their place at the top of their leagues and buy players to weaken their challengers. At least City have a backer that can afford to do this unlike any of the teams above.

PPZPOL
19-08-2010, 10:09 AM
It'll be interesting to see how many grass roots / academy players come through for Man City in the next 5 years or so. I understand the squad capping now is meant to progress this talent but for me it'd be a worry that my team (if I supported ManC) didn't bring through any worthwhile talent.

It's always nice to get a marquee signing here and there but it doesn't fill you with as much pride and excitement as a player who has grown up and been nurtured by the club and realising his dream of making it into the first team.

zelda
19-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Join the club it's a nightmare at school with all these united fans so when the money comes its a relief that we could actually have a chance of winning something.I'm no saying its right but as a city fan it comes as a relief from winning nowt.If Chelsea can do it, why can't we???

hfchibs7
22-08-2010, 03:47 PM
man city are supported by manchester boys not like the **** on the other side manchester there all from london there just like hibs but theyve got money cmon hibs and super city

MSK
22-08-2010, 03:49 PM
If the Arab sheiks bought hibs we would all be creaming ourselfs.Would we ..?