View Full Version : John Gibson

18-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Does anyone else find this wee odious cretin a bit annoying in the Evening News.....

Without fail in the paper weekly, he has a potshot at something Hibs orientated...... He claims to be a Hibby, but I bet he has never paid to enter Easter Road once in his lifetime.....

Hibs should tell the wee scroat to bolt in future...........:grr:

18-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree (having had dinner with him at an event). For years he has also looked a bit like Gollum's father. The word "odious" was also very apt :greengrin

18-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Speaking of the EN, absolutely loved this quote from Barry Anderson in today's issue: -

"Player trading is going to be a bigger part of our future. We will try to buy low and sell high, after getting some good years' service from these players," said the Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell yesterday. He is, of course, adopting a model which has been in place at Tynecastle for two years now.

Not only are Hearts now officially a selling club like the wee team, it was actually their idea all along - so much so that the OF are now following...:bye:

18-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Speaking of the EN, absolutely loved this quote from Barry Anderson in today's issue: -

Not only are Hearts now officially a selling club like the wee team, it was actually their idea all along - so much so that the OF are now following...:bye:

I hope Rod has read this, we should join in this too.

M11BMO
18-08-2010, 04:01 PM

That is brilliant.

18-08-2010, 04:18 PM
John Gibson is the sort of sour old Hibby according to whom nothing good has happened at ER since the Turnbull era.

He's a right old Tory too who never resists an opportunity to knock anything that smacks of the nanny state or social welfare.

He likes to write about Edinburgh restauranteurs and top table types.

He really belongs at Tynecastle.

18-08-2010, 04:23 PM
John Gibson is the sort of sour old Hibby according to whom nothing good has happened at ER since the Turnbull era.

He's a right old Tory too who never resists an opportunity to knock anything that smacks of the nanny state or social welfare.

I don't particularly like the nanny state, but I certainly prefer it to the fanny state as epitomised by the likes of self-serving gob*hites like Gibson, Mercer, and casting the net wider, Jeremy Clarkson, Piers Morgan and Kelvin McKenzie.

18-08-2010, 04:27 PM
"Player trading is going to be a bigger part of our future. We will try to buy low and sell high, after getting some good years' service from these players," said the Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell yesterday. He is, of course, adopting a model which has been in place at Tynecastle for two years now.

Is he trying to be sarcastic? Which players have they bought low and sold high after some good years' service?

18-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Agree, wish he would stop his wee unjustified digs at us.........

18-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Is he trying to be sarcastic? Which players have they bought low and sold high after some good years' service?

I don't think he's being sarcastic- I think Anderson genuinely believes all the crap he writes.

18-08-2010, 04:39 PM
He's that important that I hadn't even heard of him until reading this thread.

18-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Does anyone else find this wee odious cretin a bit annoying in the Evening News.....

Without fail in the paper weekly, he has a potshot at something Hibs orientated...... He claims to be a Hibby, but I bet he has never paid to enter Easter Road once in his lifetime.....

Gibbo hasn't paid for anything for years.

18-08-2010, 05:05 PM
He's that important that I hadn't even heard of him until reading this thread.
Nor had I.

jane_says
18-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope Rod has read this, we should join in this too.

18-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Gibson was once the speedway correspondent for the Edinburgh Evening News.

The nearest he ever got to the stadium was a pub in Powderhall where he would meet some supporters and find out what happened so that he could file his report.

18-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Guys an absolute ham shanker.

Definitely would have been more suited to the jumbos with his tireless erse kissing of the people who supposedly matter. Only too happy to take a freebie then has nothing good to say about the people kind enough to give it to him. I include Hibs, various theatres, cinemas and restaurants and much, much more in this.

His columns also a load of drivel, tries to be funny, misses the mark by miles and writes like he's about 2 years old.

18-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Guys an absolute ham shanker.

Definitely would have been more suited to the jumbos with his tireless erse kissing of the people who supposedly matter. Only too happy to take a freebie then has nothing good to say about the people kind enough to give it to him. I include Hibs, various theatres, cinemas and restaurants and much, much more in this.

His columns also a load of drivel, tries to be funny, misses the mark by miles and writes like he's about 2 years old.

Never met the man, but i do know someone who posts on here that quote resembles.

18-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Odious cretin just about sums him up perfectly S.

AFAIK he has been getting free entry to Hibs matches for years and can be found in the press room at all home games. I think it was a courtesy extended to him pre Rodders and I'm surprised the club still entertains him to be honest

18-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Odious cretin just about sums him up perfectly S.

AFAIK he has been getting free entry to Hibs matches for years and can be found in the press room at all home games. I think it was a courtesy extended to him pre Rodders and I'm surprised the club still entertains him to be honest

I am surprised that he still gets free entry......:grr:

I would ban him from going anywhere near 500 yards of Easter Road.

18-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Does Petrie know he gets in for free? Blow the whistle on him.

Irish_Steve
18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Getsin for free?????

I expect there may be a bristling `Tache blocking his way for the Rangers game - that and an invoice to cover all previous complimentary games - free isn`t in Rod`s dictionary

18-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Phew - what a stink down Leith way, and I' not talking about Seafield missus.

There I was sipping a chilled Tyskie in Janek Singh's emporium in the Port. When I was astounded to read in this very organ (75 years man and boy) that I am a freeloader.

Of course I paid for it, what's 25p between Leithers eh?

I'll have you know I get nothing for nothing, and I really am pals with lots of famous people. Just ask Eric Milligan.

He might as well have written.

18-08-2010, 08:47 PM
The man may be all those things (and come to think of it my mother disliked him when she worked in the Scotsman canteen) but that does not alter his credentials as a Hibs supporter. Why? Because you don't need any and if Hibs were willing to let me in for free, on some pretext, I would accept the offer too. All you have to do to be a Hibs supporter is to think you are one and you can't stop people you dislike doing likewise, unfortunately.

jbwhibs70
18-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I do not post very often because I have nothing in common with so called hibbys who slag hibs and their players at every opportunity, but I am not letting this thread go without telling most of the posters on this thread they could never be as good a hibsman as john gibson. He is responsible for recruiting loads of hibbes in the sixties myself and five pals included we would hang on his every word when he reported in the old GREEN dispatch on hibs games and hibs articles

18-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I am surprised that he still gets free entry......:grr:

I would ban him from going anywhere near 500 yards of Easter Road.

Press pass

Does Petrie know he gets in for free? Blow the whistle on him.

Oi Rod :greengrin

I do not post very often because I have nothing in common with so called hibbys who slag hibs and their players at every opportunity, but I am not letting this thread go without telling most of the posters on this thread they could never be as good a hibsman as john gibson. He is responsible for recruiting loads of hibbes in the sixties myself and five pals included we would hang on his every word when he reported in the old GREEN dispatch on hibs games and hibs articles

His past may be unblemished jbw but you've got to admit that in recent years he's had a wee snidey snipe at Hibs on dozens of occasions. If you know him maybe you could ask him why he does it and then come back on here and tell us

lEXO
18-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I can think of plenty people who are not only as good Hibsmen as Gibson, but better.The guys who bring up their kids and grandkids as Hibbies, take them and their neighbours kids to games, paying their way as they go.He is a freeloading dinasour who is wrapped up in his own self importance.

jbwhibs70
18-08-2010, 10:38 PM
jonnyboy I read hibs net 3 or 4 times a day a percentage of posters rip into everything hibs does that make them odious we cretins. john gibson is tongue in cheek lifes to short for bitterness,he is one of us and wants the same for hibs as we do.

18-08-2010, 10:41 PM
The sad thing is that Gollum actually believes himself to be a Hibs fan.
No. Seriously.
I was once in the company of Franck Sauzee and the then Hibs Chairman (a few weeks before he sacked him!) when Gollum approached at half time. I can't remember his exact words, but the gist was that once he'd scoffed his pie and ............ I seem to recall they served up wee nibbles on mirrors for some reason (maybe to let the likes of Gibberingson look at himself) other freebies on offer, he was offski, no matter what the second half was going to prove.

I've only met him twice, so it's probably unfair to brand him 'objectionable' on the strength of two short meetings.

But it's fair to say he's a ****.

Can I say that here?

Ah. Apparently not.

jbwhibs70
18-08-2010, 11:12 PM
IEXO you miss the point I am not judging one hibby with another,I do not like good hibbies having a go at good hibbies. For the record I took my great grandson to hibs shop last week to get him his third hibs strip with sean on the back. sean was 3 last week and lives in montrose.

18-08-2010, 11:16 PM
jonnyboy I read hibs net 3 or 4 times a day a percentage of posters rip into everything hibs does that make them odious we cretins. john gibson is tongue in cheek lifes to short for bitterness,he is one of us and wants the same for hibs as we do.

That's true and I can assure you I don't like that any more than you do :agree:

John Gibson may be writing 'tongue in cheek' but I'd wager he misses the mark on that score with most Hibs fans. Now and again it would be nice if he could be 'tongue in cheek' about some of the positive things the club is doing instead of nit picking on the things he feels they're doing wrong. In a perverse way he's as bad as those on here that get ripped in as like them he never seems to have anything positive to say!

jbwhibs70
18-08-2010, 11:25 PM
we are now on common ground jonny boy I hope your team and my team and mr gibsons team rip into them on sunday.

18-08-2010, 11:28 PM
He might as well have written.

Excellent FR. Just like one of his columns. I quite like them just to see what pish he's coming out with. He definitely has a style of his own does old JG.

18-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm still trying to work out why he gets in for free when he sounds a more Hearts "Establishment" type to me. I remember him moaning in the paper when he didn't get a christmas card from Hibs a while back: well I've had a season ticket since 94/95 and neither did I so why should you you fud?! He's the sort of guy designed for and part of the reason I dislike Hearts.

broonie27
19-08-2010, 05:32 AM
I think it's a bit ripe any Hibby coming on here complaining about a correspondent of the EEN, especially one who proports to being Hibs fan himself, showing any anti-Hibs bias. The EEN along with the Scotsman has such a pro-Hibs writing staff it's almost embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I love seeing all the Jambos complaining on the EEN/Scotsman site about the "Daily Hi-bee" etc, etc.

DCI Gene Hunt
19-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't think he's that bad. As someone said he's quite tongue-in-cheek, some get it, some don't.

I laugh at that too, broonie27. What I find even more amusing is how the bitter, twisted Yams spend more time posting on Hibs stories on the EEN website than on Hertz stories! Heh heh.

Guv

19-08-2010, 07:52 AM
If there is one good thing that has come out what is by its nature an essentially negative thread, it's the term 'Hibsman' which I've never encountered before, at least not with each one syllable word ran together like that.

Whether it was intentional or not, I find it absolutely delightful, evoking the noble, chivalrous, sporting and somewhat rustic qualities of the term 'huntsman'.

Can we please let this wholesome designation enter our lexicon?

"Jefferies and Foulkes were fat Jambo oafs, and MacKay a Yam bigot, but one always had a lot of time for Lovell. A jolly decent chap and a keen Hibsman."

"Though born in the south of France and with Provence in his blood, an extended stint in Edinburgh had made Frank an enthusiastic Hibsman."

"A fleet-of-foot Hibsman, young Ivan was able to show the Ibrox rearguard a clean pair of heels on three occasions."

DCI Gene Hunt
19-08-2010, 07:54 AM
You have quite a way with words Bob.

19-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I think it's a bit ripe any Hibby coming on here complaining about a correspondent of the EEN, especially one who proports to being Hibs fan himself, showing any anti-Hibs bias. The EEN along with the Scotsman has such a pro-Hibs writing staff it's almost embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I love seeing all the Jambos complaining on the EEN/Scotsman site about the "Daily Hi-bee" etc, etc.

Have you read Barry Anderson's stuff?

Anyway Gibson's a freeloading old git.

DCI Gene Hunt
19-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Aye, but they've got to have at least one Yam reporter, otherwise it would only be up to gibbering eejits like Lard Foolkes and Gary MacKay holding the Yam bastion in the paper.

Gene

19-08-2010, 09:44 AM
If there is one good thing that has come out what is by its nature an essentially negative thread, it's the term 'Hibsman' which I've never encountered before, at least not with each one syllable word ran together like that.

Whether it was intentional or not, I find it absolutely delightful, evoking the noble, chivalrous, sporting and somewhat rustic qualities of the term 'huntsman'.

"Jefferies and Foulkes were fat Jambo oafs, and MacKay a Yam bigot, but one always had a lot of time for Lovell. A jolly decent chap and a keen Hibsman."

"Though born in the south of France and with Provence in his blood, an extended stint in Edinburgh had made Frank an enthusiastic Hibsman."

"A fleet-of-foot Hibsman, young Ivan was able to show the Ibrox rearguard a clean pair of heels on three occasions."

Brilliant stuff.

19-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Wouldnt it be nice to have a match report done in this way, after we have won of course, the opposite of Terracin Tam.
Even better, a report on the match from Tam and Bob?

19-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm still trying to work out why he gets in for free when he sounds a more Hearts "Establishment" type to me. I remember him moaning in the paper when he didn't get a christmas card from Hibs a while back: well I've had a season ticket since 94/95 and neither did I so why should you you fud?! He's the sort of guy designed for and part of the reason I dislike Hearts.

A feisty , cantankerous "old fart" at times but I can assure you , having known JG for more years than I care to remember , he is a Leither and a Hibbee through and through :thumbsup:
As someone else posted he writes "tongue in cheek" and if you don't get a wee laugh from his column then - ???.

19-08-2010, 02:06 PM
A feisty , cantankerous "old fart" at times but I can assure you , having known JG for more years than I care to remember , he is a Leither and a Hibbee through and through :thumbsup:
As someone else posted he writes "tongue in cheek" and if you don't get a wee laugh from his column then - ???.

But does he look the part in mint green jodhpurs?

19-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Looks pretty obvious that JBW is John Gibson.

19-08-2010, 04:16 PM
:applause:

Bravo, DBS :applause:
I'm sure, like me, every Hibsfan will agree with your sentiment.

broonie27
19-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think he's that bad. As someone said he's quite tongue-in-cheek, some get it, some don't.

I laugh at that too, broonie27. What I find even more amusing is how the bitter, twisted Yams spend more time posting on Hibs stories on the EEN website than on Hertz stories! Heh heh.

Guv

Couldn't agree more. There's one idiot called kiwidoug that gets right on my goat (although I never give him the satisfaction of knowing that). I've taken to calling him the "mutt from the hutt" (he's from Hutt Valley in New Zealand) and he doesn't seem to like it, so y'know if you're ever posting there .......

19-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Jeez, is this cretin still alive? Haven't bought the EEN for years so have thankfully been spared his witless drivel.

19-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Jeez, is this cretin still alive? Haven't bought the EEN for years so have thankfully been spared his witless drivel.

Alive indeed I am, and so would you be if you were treated to the exquisite menu and service in my good pal Scott Hasting's swish new eaterie, secreted in a quiet area of my bumcrack. For sure, it was a tough one for a Hibby and son of the fair port of Leith to bear the salivated slaverings of a Jambo and the multitude of his chums. 'New stand anyone?' I was moved to cry at the crucial moment, but Scott was a perfect gentleman, and reminded me of how we hadn't won the cup since 1902 (move over Buffalo Bill, trigger-happy Gibbo has you in his sights) while Scott's chums have a special relationship with it, winning it as many times as East Fife this century and Clyde since the war, but as my great friend (sadly another Jambo) Ronnie Corbet once told me...

(getting bored now, help me out FR)

lEXO
20-08-2010, 10:40 AM
IEXO you miss the point I am not judging one hibby with another,I do not like good hibbies having a go at good hibbies. For the record I took my great grandson to hibs shop last week to get him his third hibs strip with sean on the back. sean was 3 last week and lives in montrose.
I dont see how i,m missing the point, you said that some of us could,nt be as big a Hibsman as Gibson.I know plenty who are, they dont get into ER for free, and also dont slag off the team and players either, wether it be on a message board, at games or in the papers.
I,m delighted you treat your grandson, and bring him up as a hIbs supporter, much the same as i do with my nephews and thousands of others do with their relatives.

New Corrie
20-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Bit of a shame for John Gibson to find out after all these years that he doesn't meet the criteria to be a "real Hibs fan".

20-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Alive indeed I am, and so would you be if you were treated to the exquisite menu and service in my good pal Scott Hasting's swish new eaterie, secreted in a quiet area of my bumcrack. For sure, it was a tough one for a Hibby and son of the fair port of Leith to bear the salivated slaverings of a Jambo and the multitude of his chums. 'New stand anyone?' I was moved to cry at the crucial moment, but Scott was a perfect gentleman, and reminded me of how we hadn't won the cup since 1902 (move over Buffalo Bill, trigger-happy Gibbo has you in his sights) while Scott's chums have a special relationship with it, winning it as many times as East Fife this century and Clyde since the war, but as my great friend (sadly another Jambo) Ronnie Corbet once told me...

(getting bored now, help me out FR)

Ahoy! Bad news for residents of the Kingdom. Your scribe is sad to say that the Rosyth ferry service is to stop after five successless years. (It's a word madam look it up).

Final straw had something to do with the Hibees crashing out of Europe quicker than Amy Winehouse at Oddbins.

Wouldn't have happened in the Famous Five days - captain Turnbull would have commandeered the nearest torpedo boat.

I'm off for a lie down.

21-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Ahoy! Bad news for residents of the Kingdom. Your scribe is sad to say that the Rosyth ferry service is to stop after five successless years. (It's a word madam look it up).

Final straw had something to do with the Hibees crashing out of Europe quicker than Amy Winehouse at Oddbins.

Wouldn't have happened in the Famous Five days - captain Turnbull would have commandeered the nearest torpedo boat.

I'm off for a lie down.

Don't mention the war! Not a mantra you'll hear in beautiful downtown Gorgie, as our Jambo neighbours are literally up in arms about the decision to move their commemorative clock, which celebrates that historic stunning double win of WW1 and WW2, to a more obscure part of the city, perhaps closer to Tynecastle itself! My old chum Eric Mulligan has promised this redoubtable pensmith with a free travel pass should said transport finally materialise in our fair city. I think my fellow Leither Yogi would have a better chance of delivering the Scottish Cup than the nouveau 22 bus. The clock is ticking.

21-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Guv

bit in bold, I agree with :agree:

I'd rather read what he has to say than some of the flangitas on here

21-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Bit of a shame for John Gibson to find out after all these years that he doesn't meet the criteria to be a "real Hibs fan".

not sure if this is meant as tongue in cheek or not, however I think you are missing the point, that Mr Gibson, has been freeloading from Hibs for years, and still has nothing good to say, just comes across as a pompous grumpy old git...............

New Corrie
21-08-2010, 12:39 PM
not sure if this is meant as tongue in cheek or not, however I think you are missing the point, that Mr Gibson, has been freeloading from Hibs for years, and still has nothing good to say, just comes across as a pompous grumpy old git...............

No it was just a retort to the earlier poster suggesting that because Gibson was a Tory he would be better suited at Tynecastle. I couldn't really work that one out:confused: I know there is a strict criteria to become a real Hibs fan, but I didn't realise that voting habits were part of that. You learn all the time.

21-08-2010, 12:42 PM
It's an ill divided world, just ask your reporter with the macaroon bar and cocoa sandwiches! Seems some of the "keyboard hardmen" (I call them monkeys with typewriters) on Hibsman.net have called your scribe's credentials into question.

Not bad for a bunch of brickies who would have been lucky to see Leith Academy on their way to the David Kirkpatrick. Wonder how many of them are pals with Charlie Miller anyway.

Apparently I have shown little gratitude for the hard work I have put in promoting my beloved Hibees. (is this right - ed) That's further from the truth than the Tynecastle stand is from a safety certificate. Sorry Eric, it had to come out sometime.

I have never asked for a freebie from Hibs. Apart from anything else most Saturdays I am in the company of my very very good friends Gavin and Stacey Hastings. Last week we were in the Starbank Inn when.....(continues page 94).