PDA

View Full Version : NHC Driver new contract? (merged)

jdships
18-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Hearts are in talks to make Andy Driver the highest-paid player in their history, with a new contract that will also protect their right to a fee. Talks have started about a deal that would run until summer 2013, and the club seem willing to offer over £12,000 per week to Driver, safe in the knowledge that if the player does sign, it will mean they can ask a big fee if there's future interest. (Daily Mail)

Thought they were broke !!!!!!
:greengrin

bawheid
18-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I could almost see the point when they did this with Gordon, and it paid off when Vlad pocketed £12m.

Driver, however, is rank rotten. Not only is he rank rotten, he's always injured.

Hopefully he'll sign the deal.

down the slope
18-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Is it not that a players future transfer fee if any is partly decided by the players earnings ?, maybe that's why the yams allegedly pay their players a high wage in the hope of a fortune further down the line, seems to have failed miserably up to now.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Is it not that a players future transfer fee if any is partly decided by the players earnings ?, maybe that's why the yams allegedly pay their players a high wage in the hope of a fortune further down the line, seems to have failed miserably up to now.

I don't think so - that was what Willie McKay put about when he was trying to sell Brown and Thomson.

A transfer fee is mainly based on how good a player is - although if you play in Scotland and are sold to an EPL side you're worth less than a player of equal ability in the Champioship that's sold to an EPL club.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Hearts are in talks to make Andy Driver the highest-paid player in their history, with a new contract that will also protect their right to a fee. Talks have started about a deal that would run until summer 2013, and the club seem willing to offer over £12,000 per week to Driver, safe in the knowledge that if the player does sign, it will mean they can ask a big fee if there's future interest. (Daily Mail)

Thought they were broke !!!!!!
:greengrin

I thought Craig Gordon was on £18k per week at Tiny?

Gettin' Auld
18-08-2010, 10:20 AM
What a complete shambles of a club.

:titanic:

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 10:37 AM
More the fool them then.

If they want to waste a lot of money on an injurty-prone huddy that's their problem. It merely brings the spectre of Tynecastle Flats closer. :brokenyam:

Guv

johnbc70
18-08-2010, 10:51 AM
They asked for £3.5M from Burnley and they quite rightly walked away. When he plays well and is not injured Driver is one of the top players in the SPL and is probably worth around £1.5M to £2M max.

Seem strange cause they could get £2M for him now probably, so why pay him £12K+ a week when IMO they will still get £2M for him no matter what he is paid.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-08-2010, 11:03 AM
12k a week over a 3yr period = £1,872,000 (if paid over a 52 week year) Will be interesting to see what profit they (Vlad) make on this

El Gubbz
18-08-2010, 11:36 AM
From BBC gossip:
Hearts are in talks to make winger Andrew Driver the highest-paid player in the club's history. (Daily Mail)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8923541.stm

CB_NO3
18-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I thought Gordon was on 18k a week. If they want to give a man that plays 10 games a season 20k a week thats fine by me.

Gatecrasher
18-08-2010, 11:42 AM
12k per week, thats only Nade wages - he should be on kingston or Gordon wages

most folk will see he is a decent player though but not half as good as Hearts think he is, it will be funny if this goes through then is crocked for ages again though :greengrin

Winston Ingram
18-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought Gordon was on 18k a week. If they want to give a man that plays 10 games a season 20k a week thats fine by me.

I thought so too.

This is only Newspaper speculating and I'd imagine the Daily Mail journalists probably aren't expert on Edinburgh Club matters. The Scottish Papers haven't got a scooby unless they're talking about the OF so I'd imagine the Daily Mail is even less reliable than them:rolleyes:

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Good point Winston, there again the Daily Mail isn't exactly known for top-class factual reporting on anything. :rolleyes:

Bloody Tory rag.

jacomo
18-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Commented on this on the Gow thread... what happened to the new, cost-cutting strategy?

The Yams lapped that one up, saying it was a sensible move by Mr Romanov in these difficult times (and not at all an admission that the high spending days were an utter, utter failure).

Now they are going to have flip-flop again, and say that it's a great move by Mr Romanov.

Incidentally, if true, what's the motivation? Is Driver refusing to sign a new contract? Will they threaten to exclude him from the first team squad, ala Goncalves?

Bookkeeper
18-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Honestly don't see what it is about Driver thats worth that money, either wages or supposed transfer fee. :bitchy:

sixtwo
18-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I know their positions are different but i would compare driver to levein or mclaren at hearts. pretty solid and consistant when fit but nothing special and prone to injury. his value is greatly inflated.

Hearts totally missed the boat with this one. They should have been more open to offers when he was hot property and linked with the england u-21's. Burnley offered £2.4m iirc and instead of neotiating a slight uplift with add ons, mad vlad asked for £5m.

No wonder they have ridiculous debts and a reputation as a club of delusional fools!

Now he is the youngest has been in the spl.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Exactly.. Craig Gordon was on around £18,000 a week.. He was sold and this is taken into account by the tribunal as he was under 24...Also , thing likes International caps also contribute...

The same thing was done by the Huns when they sold Alan Hutton.. That's why they got such a big transfer fee for him...

jgl07
18-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Exactly.. Craig Gordon was on around £18,000 a week.. He was sold and this is taken into account by the tribunal as he was under 24...Also , thing likes International caps also contribute...

The same thing was done by the Huns when they sold Alan Hutton.. That's why they got such a big transfer fee for him...
This is rubbish.

The Tribunal only comes into effect when a young player moves out of contract.

Craig Gordon's transfer fee was soley down to what Sunderland were prepared to pay as he was not out of contract. The same applied with Hutton.

The issue is that the money may persuade a player to sign a new deal rather than running down his contract. A player in the last year of his contract has a vastly lower valuation than one with three years to go.

sixtwo
18-08-2010, 09:40 PM

it is true to an extent that a players salary is a factor but length of contract and more imortantly the players ability is the key. Driver could be paid £100k per week at hearts but it doesn't make him a more desirable to another club. The fact is driver had/ has potential buit he is not great. he has not had a season to match stokes or riordan. he is no longer involved with england and he is injury prone.

I hope he takes the wage increase and spends all his time in under rimas wand in the medical room at the shared training facilities. He is a home grown beslija!:faf:

Ryan69
18-08-2010, 10:08 PM
There is no denying that Driver is a good player,but taking into account he is injured half the season..there effectively paying him 24k a week. What Hearts seem tobe forgetting to though is that he's very unlikely tobe sold as an international player either..which will decrease value too! But its all good from where I'm sitting lol

telfordhibby
18-08-2010, 10:48 PM
12k+ a week for someone that plays a min of
10-15 games a season...Thats aboot a years wages
for me being a Porter in the Western General...
Im fitter than him and I walk an average 16 MILES
every shift I work...Ive got to get a job for
Mr Romanov.....:grr:

Part/Time Supporter
19-08-2010, 06:45 AM
it is true to an extent that a players salary is a factor but length of contract and more imortantly the players ability is the key. Driver could be paid £100k per week at hearts but it doesn't make him a more desirable to another club. The fact is driver had/ has potential buit he is not great. he has not had a season to match stokes or riordan. he is no longer involved with england and he is injury prone.

I hope he takes the wage increase and spends all his time in under rimas wand in the medical room at the shared training facilities. He is a home grown beslija!:faf:

It would make him a lot less desirable to a lot of clubs, ie why should he move if the club that are looking to buy him are only offering the same or slightly more than £12K per week? It would need to be a Premier League team buying him - which there's been no serious suggestion of so far, as the only clubs to make actual offers were Championship - and paying him a pretty hefty whack as well.

It also runs counter to the spin cycle coming out of Gorgie that they are screwing the nut financially.

DCI Gene Hunt
19-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Ive got to get a job for
Mr Romanov.....:grr:

Pah! Unforgivable sin. How dare you become involved with Tsar Yam. Naughty boy! :slipper:

jdships
19-08-2010, 08:20 AM
" ............as Stephen Elliott was replaced in the first half of the 2-0 win with a hamstring injury and is now a doubt for Saturday's lunchtime kick-off at Hamilton. "

Ah michty me !
Can't say they wern't warned !! :bitchy: :greengrin