PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Lee Hughes

Speedway
18-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Here a controversial one...

I was contacted this morning by an exceptionally poor source, to tell me that Lee Hughes had arrived in Edinburgh this morning for talks with BOTH Edinburgh clubs.

34, served his time, was a very good goalscorer.

Thoughts?

robinp
18-08-2010, 07:53 AM

I was contacted this morning by an exceptionally poor source, to tell me that Lee Hughes had arrived in Edinburgh this morning for talks with BOTH Edinburgh clubs.

Thoughts?

He tried to throttle the club Chief-Exec at the weekend in the tunnel.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1313972_lee_hughes_in_tunnel_bustup_with_oldham_at hletic_chief_executive

lyonhibs
18-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Given their track record of hiring convicted criminals and overall ****bags, I think the Yams can have this one.

Steve20
18-08-2010, 08:02 AM
They will no doubt offer more in wages. So I assume, if this is true, he will go to them.

Speedway
18-08-2010, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't be keen at having him at the club and I agree that he's far more suited to the Yams.

Have you seen his goalscoring record though?

JE89
18-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Looks like a tosser. No thanks

bighairyfaeleith
18-08-2010, 08:13 AM
we don't need him, let the yams piss away tens of thousands on him:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2010, 08:20 AM
He'd score rakes of goals up here so I'd rather he didn't sign for them.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Slower than a week in saughton. He might score in the 3rd tier of English football, but he's no chance up here.

Borders Hibby
18-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Thoughts?

Naw!

Pretty Boy
18-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Was a very good player and scored a load of goals in the Championship.

Whilst the prison sentence is obviosuly relevant, he did show a huge ammount of remorse for his crime and agreed to meet and apologise to the daughter of his victim.

On saying that at 34 and with inevitabkle baggage maybe we should be looking elsewhere.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Whilst the prison sentence is obviosuly relevant, he did show a huge ammount of remorse for his crime and agreed to meet and apologise to the daughter of his victim.

On saying that at 34 and with inevitabkle baggage maybe we should be looking elsewhere.

I watched him a couple of years ago at Blackpool, he was awful. Terrible 1st touch and very slow. Used his strength to bully or try and bully defenders, but was just not quick enough to get 1st to any ball. I hope he signs for Hearts, even Hogg would mark him out a game.

JimBHibees
18-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Maybe cynical but that sounds like the sort of thing a lawyer or agent would tell him to do. He didnt show much remorse when he ran away leaving the guy to die and then hid after knowing what he had done.

Dashing Bob S
18-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Given their track record of hiring convicted criminals and overall ****bags, I think the Yams can have this one.

Lee has excelled in other crimes, but probably doesn't have the necessary sex offender background to wear the famous maroon shirt.

--------
18-08-2010, 09:23 AM

We should. And I have no doubt at all that we are.

I can see the point of tolerating bad behaviour from a Jim Baxter or a Willie Hamilton, but if we really want an overweight shaven-headed thug on the team, I'll happily sign up today. For a lot less than Hughes will be wanting.

hibeeleicester
18-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Played 491
Scored 222

Nealry a goal every 2 games.

A bit of strength, get him in the "nish role"... let him bully the defenders while deeks and tony do the fancy ***** that they do...

Worth a punt on a years contract :agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
18-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Thoughts?

No for the reasons above and don't think he's any better than what we already have.

stu in nottingham
18-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Lee Hughes was seen in the East Midlands Airport departure lounge yesterday.

He might be all the things people describe him as above but the Notts fans absolutely love him. Mind you he did score 33 times in 44 appearances for them last year. :)

No comment on his character but he certainly still knows where the net is from what I saw of him last season on a couple of occasions. He is a natural goalscorer.

--------
18-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Lee Hughes was seen in the East Midlands Airport departure lounge yesterday.

He might be all the things people describe him as above but the Notts fans absolutely love him. Mind you he did score 33 times in 44 appearances for them last year. :)

No comment on his character but he certainly still knows where the net is from what I saw of him last season on a couple of occasions. He is a natural goalscorer.

Fair enough, Stu. I guess I was out of order saying what I did - the guy may have got it all together and be a changed man now. (Seriously.)

I've seen him regularly last season on the Football league Show and yes, he scored a lot of goals for County. I just don't think he's a player to take us forward - a poor man's John Hartson, maybe?

To my eye he lacks touch, and he lacks pace, and I'm positive he wouldn't get away with some of the stuff he tries to pull to intimidate defenders - not playing for us, anyway. Sure he wasn't waiting for the Aberdeen flight? Seems to me to be right up Murky McGhump's street... :rolleyes:

Steve-O
18-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe cynical but that sounds like the sort of thing a lawyer or agent would tell him to do. He didnt show much remorse when he ran away leaving the guy to die and then hid after knowing what he had done.

Oh come on, it's not that hard to believe he felt remorseful, despite what happened in the heat of the moment straight after the event.

This is not the sort of thing people do lightly, and the victim's must agree to it as well.

As for signing him, nah. Hasn't done much of anything since he was released.

edit - just seen he scored 33 goals last season, whoops :faf:

M11BMO
18-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think there is a chance in hell that Petrie would have him at ER.

stu in nottingham
18-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Fair enough, Stu. I guess I was out of order saying what I did - the guy may have got it all together and be a changed man now. (Seriously.)

I've seen him regularly last season on the Football league Show and yes, he scored a lot of goals for County. I just don't think he's a player to take us forward - a poor man's John Hartson, maybe?

To my eye he lacks touch, and he lacks pace, and I'm positive he wouldn't get away with some of the stuff he tries to pull to intimidate defenders - not playing for us, anyway. Sure he wasn't waiting for the Aberdeen flight? Seems to me to be right up Murky McGhump's street... :rolleyes:

Somebody thought he might be on a flight to Malaga! :greengrin

Not at all, Doddie. I won't comment on the other 'issues' surrounding him but just purely on a football basis. I think he maybe is all the things you describe. He does lack pace but he times his runs very well which compensates for that and makes him a thorn in defenders' sides all afternoon. He knows exactly where to go to be on the end of a chance and he impressed me as an 'old hand' who understands the job pretty well by now.

It has to be taken into account the level he was playing at last season but for me he looked to be playing at a standard beneath him. I actually think he would score goals in the SPL (and most places), no problem. He's just that kind of player. Saw him in a shopping mall last week btw - there's not much on him!

Houchy
18-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I watched him a couple of years ago at Blackpool, he was awful. Terrible 1st touch and very slow. Used his strength to bully or try and bully defenders, but was just not quick enough to get 1st to any ball. I hope he signs for Hearts, even Hogg would mark him out a game.

NURSE, I've found another one, get the straight jacket at the ready!!!:greengrin

El Gubbz
18-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Worth signing just so hearts don't. With 33 goals in 44 appearances at Notts county he is obviously a decent player.

allezsauzee
18-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Not Hibs class....and the man seems to be a cretin to boot

Future17
18-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I know someone who plays for County and Hughes is a psychopath. Petrie wouldn't have him at the club, Yogi wouldn't have him at the club and I don't think any of us should want him at the club.

--------
18-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Somebody thought he might be on a flight to Malaga! :greengrin

Not at all, Doddie. I won't comment on the other 'issues' surrounding him but just purely on a football basis. I think he maybe is all the things you describe. He does lack pace but he times his runs very well which compensates for that and makes him a thorn in defenders' sides all afternoon. He knows exactly where to go to be on the end of a chance and he impressed me as an 'old hand' who understands the job pretty well by now.

It has to be taken into account the level he was playing at last season but for me he looked to be playing at a standard beneath him. I actually think he would score goals in the SPL (and most places), no problem. He's just that kind of player. Saw him in a shopping mall last week btw - there's not much on him!

That's interesting, Stu. It's the sort of thing you don't pick up easily on a highlights show.

My concern (providing he was good enough, and you seem to think he is, having seen him a number of times in full games) would be his lack of discipline off the field. (He seems to be reasonably OK on the field - how else could he play 44 games?) I can't see RP agreeing to sign a player who might deck him over a bonus dispute....

On the other hand, Budgie was a bampot, and HE did OK. So, IIRC, was Shaun Dennis.... :devil:

HibbyAndy
18-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't think there is a chance in hell that Petrie would have him at ER.

And that my friend is nail hammer head.

stu in nottingham
18-08-2010, 01:19 PM
That's interesting, Stu. It's the sort of thing you don't pick up easily on a highlights show.

My concern (providing he was good enough, and you seem to think he is, having seen him a number of times in full games) would be his lack of discipline off the field. (He seems to be reasonably OK on the field - how else could he play 44 games?) I can't see RP agreeing to sign a player who might deck him over a bonus dispute....

On the other hand, Budgie was a bampot, and HE did OK. So, IIRC, was Shaun Dennis.... :devil:

Although I'd argue that he would score goals in the SPL, I'm not going to advocate that he'd be a good target for Hibs. I believe we're well served in that department if the two excellent goalscorers we already have are used properly. I wouldn't try and defend Hughes' character either as I simply don't know. He served a suspension towards the end of last season but as regards off the pitch, I don't hear anything untoward about him generally. All due respects to the poster above who has a personal contact though. He's not a name that crops up in the local media - apart from when he is banging the ball in the net - which he does with monotonous regularity!

Skanko79
18-08-2010, 01:20 PM
what a load of tripe.

stu in nottingham
18-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Notts County Mad thread (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=402&fid=17&sty=2&act=1&mid=2120499085&page=1)

Kaiser1962
18-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I know someone who plays for County and Hughes is a psychopath. Petrie wouldn't have him at the club, Yogi wouldn't have him at the club and I don't think any of us should want him at the club.

While I agree that we should look elsewhere I think every team needs a bit of a nutter to do the nasty stuff. This HIbs team, while talented, does not have the nasty edge required when they are being bullied by some of the hammer throwers at Hearts or Dundee Utd amongst others. Nish. at 6'3" must be the easiest going guy out there when we are looking for a guy with a bit of bite. Hughes sounds like he might be a bit much though.

JimBHibees
18-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Oh come on, it's not that hard to believe he felt remorseful, despite what happened in the heat of the moment straight after the event.

This is not the sort of thing people do lightly, and the victim's must agree to it as well.

As for signing him, nah. Hasn't done much of anything since he was released.

edit - just seen he scored 33 goals last season, whoops :faf:

Seem to remember it was a bit longer than the heat of the moment. He stayed incognito even when he knew the other guy was dead. 36 hours to be exact. Pity he wasnt remourseful during the day and a half he was hiding.

Of course he was told to do the remorse thing he was just out of the klink and wanted to restart his career.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/3548840.stm

ForeverHibs93
18-08-2010, 02:49 PM
"There would be no fee big enough to possibly seen as a positive from Lee Hughes leaving."

Looks like the County fans hold him in high regard.

iwasthere1972
18-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Thoughts?

Only 4 years for smashing his £100,000 Mercedes into a Renault and killing passenger and father-of-four Douglas Graham, 56. He also fled the scene but handed himself into police the following day.

Nah let the Hertz have him.

jane_says
18-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I seriously hope we aren't even looking at him, and i hope the yams get him. Would fit right in down that way.

And i hate his stupid celebration

Future17
18-08-2010, 06:53 PM
While I agree that we should look elsewhere I think every team needs a bit of a nutter to do the nasty stuff. This HIbs team, while talented, does not have the nasty edge required when they are being bullied by some of the hammer throwers at Hearts or Dundee Utd amongst others. Nish. at 6'3" must be the easiest going guy out there when we are looking for a guy with a bit of bite. Hughes sounds like he might be a bit much though.

Totally agree we could use someone to do the bullying to a degree, but I'd prefer them to keep it on the pitch.

.Sean.
18-08-2010, 06:57 PM
No thanks.

He's a thug, I couldn't care less if he has a good goalscoring record in the English lower leagues. I want him nowhere near the club.

Gala Foxes
18-08-2010, 07:07 PM
without going in to the detail of Hughes shameful crime lets just say we don't need his sort at E Rd

Hearts are welcome to him

sleeping giant
18-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Goals goals goals goal thats the name of the game
Goals goal goals goals thats the Hibees aim.

I'm a whore ! I think he would score for fun up here.

tamig
18-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Thoughts?

Still is a very good goalscorer imo. Scored some tremendous goals last season.

hibsboy90
19-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Signed an extension to his current deal at County less than 2M ago, keeping him at the club until 2012.

Unlikely he will move. Watched a compilation on youtube, great goalscorer no doubt.

Steve-O
19-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Seem to remember it was a bit longer than the heat of the moment. He stayed incognito even when he knew the other guy was dead. 36 hours to be exact. Pity he wasnt remourseful during the day and a half he was hiding.

Of course he was told to do the remorse thing he was just out of the klink and wanted to restart his career.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/3548840.stm

Erm, clearly he panicked and did the wrong thing, but having left his car at the scene, I'm not sure he could've ever thought he'd get away with it. What difference would it have made 'being remorseful' in those 36 hours? How do you know he wasn't?

I don't really understand your second point, or how you can possibly claim that he faked remorse as some kind of 'fact' and that he was told to do it.

Steve-O
19-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Only 4 years for smashing his £100,000 Mercedes into a Renault and killing passenger and father-of-four Douglas Graham, 56. He also fled the scene but handed himself into police the following day.

Nah let the Hertz have him.

So now the sentence is his fault as well?! :confused:

Doesn't matter now since it seems he won't be signing anyway...

Future17
19-08-2010, 11:46 AM

This seems to have hit a nerve with you from the tone of your posts, but I don't think iwasthere1972 was suggesting the sentence was Hughes' fault - I think it was a general observation on the leniency of the punishment.

Although the other observations as to his conduct relating to the incident are very valid when assessing whether to sign a player.

iwasthere1972
19-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Nowhere did I say he was to blame for the lenient sentence he was handed out although I do feel that in general footballers and other people in the sports world are let off lightly for their crimes.

Glad to hear that he won't be appearing for our club.

MrHibs1982
19-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Nowhere did I say he was to blame for the lenient sentence he was handed out although I do feel that in general footballers and other people in the sports world are let off lightly for their crimes.

Glad to hear that he won't be appearing for our club.

I have had a wee look into this and Lee was handed a 6 year sentence and compared to other people he has not gotten off lightly but maybe the problem is the size of sentence to all. The first three google searches i found had one woman 95mph, twice the drink/drive limit, killed someone and got 6years, another person killed 2 boys and was twice the limit 7 years. Shane Oldroyd stole a bus, was chased for over an hour, was 3 times the limit & killed 2 people and has been told he will serve at least......3 & 1/2 years!!!!!!

Causing death by dangerous driving and drink-driving, the charges carry a maximum of 14 years in prison.

joe breezy
19-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Don't like him, if he would score for fun up here then Scottish football is even worse than I thought