PDA

View Full Version : Daft Bookings

macca70
17-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Come winter and crunch games at end of the season, I really hope the daft, needless bookings picked up on Sunday don't rule out important players for potentially some massive games.

Bamba for childishly kicking the ball away after conceding a foul.

Miller for jumping into the crowd to celebrate his goal, think he was a bit excited and his momentum took him over the advertising boards but may come to regret it later in the season.

Sas_The_Hibby
17-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Agree with the op. It may seem churlish to say it, particularly with the Miller incident, but I do think a little discipline is called for. Apart from anything else, a yellow card later, for either player, would have had us down to ten men.

proud_and_green
17-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Agree with the op. It may seem churlish to say it, particularly with the Miller incident, but I do think a little discipline is called for. Apart from anything else, a yellow card later, for either player, would have had us down to ten men.

I agree, it is stupid to get a card for things that you know are bookable offences. The problem is, i see no consistency in the refs treatment of these offences.

Was Miller booked for leaving the field of play without permission or for going over to the fans. If the fomer, why were the other players who joined him not booked as well. Also, last season, playing rangers at ER they score, player leaves the pitch and celebrates in front of his fans - no card. World cup, lots of off field celebrations - no cards for it, same in england.

I do see their and the police's perspective, it could cause a problem with fans - either friendly or opposing!

iwasthere1972
17-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Come winter and crunch games at end of the season, I really hope the daft, needless bookings picked up on Sunday don't rule out important players for potentially some massive games.

Bamba for childishly kicking the ball away after conceding a foul.

Miller for jumping into the crowd to celebrate his goal, think he was a bit excited and his momentum took him over the advertising boards but may come to regret it later in the season.

Totally agree. Another silly booking is when the player whips his top off when celebrating a goal. They know it will result in a yellow booking and on a number of occasions they pick up another yellow card later in the game resulting in a sending off. I would like to see clubs slapping a fine on players for removing their jerseys and maybe that will stamp it out for good. Because of their stupidity they are inevitably making themselves unavailable for future matches.

Jack
18-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Booking time off later in the season for a wee rest.
Big Sol, for all I like him, is an ass for this. Half last seasons bookings came with a stupidity tag and he was suspended when we were struggling to try and get fourth.

Toaods
18-08-2010, 07:31 AM
I think you have to look at the bigger picture, Lambs is better with that than going ballistic at the ref and becoming a sticking for a red or being subbed. Miller wad quite rightly milking it for all it was worth...have noticed the Well mob absolutely despise him so can only assume there's a bit of history there from his days with the unwashed.

RIP
18-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Booking time off later in the season for a wee rest.

:agree: Sol's been at this for years - it's an old trick. Yogi's obviously no clicked

givescotlandfreedom
18-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Also, last season, playing rangers at ER they score, player leaves the pitch and celebrates in front of his fans - no card.

Also at that game that odious little turd Lafferty was giving it laldy to West stand asfter the first with no punishment.
Back to the topic these booking are annoying particularly in Bamba's case when it can be well worthwhile making a cynical foul and giving away a booking to prevent an opportunity later on.

MacBean
18-08-2010, 10:34 AM

booking someone for this is daft!!

Fans love to see a bit of passion and some will want to say 'i was right beside Miller when he jumped in' or the Kids will be like 'i grabbedd him' etc...

As long as the celebration is not directed to opposition support or causes a riot -.then there is no need to book a player who is simply showing elation at sticking the ball in the back of the net.

if there is an issue which has arisen because of the celebration then yes punish him but otherwise let him have his moment of glory!

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Big Sol, for all I like him, is an ass for this. Half last seasons bookings came with a stupidity tag and he was suspended when we were struggling to try and get fourth.

:agree:

A bit more common sense from Sol would help him a long way.

I wonder how the Yams' disciplinary record will be this season? How many fines?

Guv

MacBean
18-08-2010, 10:44 AM
:agree:

A bit more common sense from Sol would help him a long way.

I wonder how the Yams' disciplinary record will be this season? How many fines?

Guv

I was amazed to find out that Sunderland has a record breaking 9 (only!) red cards last season in the Premiership!
that's nothing up here :greengrin

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Is that all?

Hertz manage that in a month... :stirrer:

Argylehibby
18-08-2010, 11:04 AM
booking someone for this is daft!!

Fans love to see a bit of passion and some will want to say 'i was right beside Miller when he jumped in' or the Kids will be like 'i grabbedd him' etc...

!

thats the problem and thats why it is a booking. The rule is there to prevent injury to fans at the front as others try to join in. While in 99.99% of the times it happens nobody gets hurt, is it really worth the risk?

proud_and_green
22-08-2010, 10:25 PM
thats the problem and thats why it is a booking. The rule is there to prevent injury to fans at the front as others try to join in. While in 99.99% of the times it happens nobody gets hurt, is it really worth the risk?

It wasn't a bookable offence on three occasions today though!!!!