PDA

View Full Version : Team for Sunday

sixtwo
17-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Here is my team that I think would be good enough to compete with and beat rangers on Sunday. Feel free to use it yogi.

----------Stack

Hart---Stephens-Bamba-Hanlon

De Graff---McBride-Miller --Murray

---Stokes-------Riordan

I think this team is pretty solid at the back with disciplined midfielders who can get forward but also keep the shape. The forwards are the best in the league!

Thoughts?

rebhar
17-08-2010, 08:49 PM
isn't murray suspended?

McKenzie
17-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Wotherspoon and Galbraith on the wings for me :agree:

Geo_1875
17-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Can't start without Hogg and Nish :bitchy:

sixtwo
17-08-2010, 09:33 PM
isn't murray suspended?

You're right. back to the drawing board. Perhaps wotherspoon could fill that role.

I'd like to avoid using nish. He was woeful against well and needs to learn that the kind of performance he put in on Sunday is not acceptable. Weir would have him in his pocket all day.

Jones28
17-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Stack

Hart Hogg Bamba Stevens

Miller Mcbride

De Graff ................... Rankin

Stokes Riordan

truehibernian
17-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Hughes will make no changes at all from the starting eleven from Sunday. Rangers will be matching up the same anyway with a 4-3-3, playing "Laugh"erty on the left midfield/wing position. Despite Nish playing poorly he will start purely to provide a presence up top. The team that finished the game on Sunday would be my preferred starting line up. Win the midfield against Rangers and you win the game IMHO. 3-5-2 changing to a 4-4-2. Stretch Broadface and Whittaker, also pinning them back as they will want to bomb on forward. Killie were able to put in some cracking crosses into their six yard box by playing with some width. Rangers were at sixes and sevens in there. Would love to see Hart and Wotherspoon on one flank and Hanlon and Galbraith on the other, with Derek and Stokes through the middle. Won't happen though sadly.

SteveHFC
17-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Stack

Hart
Stephens
Bamba
Hanlon

Wotherspoon/De Graaf
McBride
Miller
Galbraith

Deeko
Stokes

Judas Iscariot
18-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Stack

Hart Bamba Stephens Hanlon

Wotherspoon De Graaf Miller Galbraith

Stokes Riordan(C)

Sandy
18-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Stack

Stokes Riordan

Without a doubt our best starting 11 (in the absence of Murray), would still like to see Brown get a shot in goals, as I don't like the fact that Stack WILL NOT come off his line, but with that CB pairing he wouldn't need to.

Judas Iscariot
18-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Without a doubt our best starting 11 (in the absence of Murray), would still like to see Brown get a shot in goals, as I don't like the fact that Stack WILL NOT come off his line, but with that CB pairing he wouldn't need to.

:agree:

Stack

Stokes Riordan(C)

Forgot to add something :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
18-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Stack

Stokes Riordan

That would get my vote, obviously left back is still an issue but no one else to use just now so need to stick with hanlon I think.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 08:27 AM
There is absolutely no way I would risk Stephens against Miller and Beattie.

The laddie could get ripped apart and his confidence could be damaged for a long time.

Hogg may not be everything we'd like him to be, but at least he's seen it and done it at this level.

Bring Stephens on once we're 3 up. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 09:08 AM

The laddie could get ripped apart and his confidence could be damaged for a long time.

Hogg may not be everything we'd like him to be, but at least he's seen it and done it at this level.

Its a strange one Dave, do we risk Hogg getting his usual ripping or do we risk Stephens against 2 of the best forwards in the league? The young lad is on a real high at the moment, he's just had his 1st international start for his country, and just made his league debut too. I'd be swaying towards letting the kid show us what he can do. He seems to me albeit from limited viewings a confident lad. I think he has a real future in the game, and while i realise he might get the runaround, i personally think he wont. And i think a good game on Sunday, could be the making of him. I think he will start more games for us this season, Sunday will be his hardest test, lets see how he goes.

rebhar
18-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Stack

Stokes Riordan(C)

Really good team but no McBride? :dunno: I doubt Yogi would leave him out

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Really good team but no McBride? :dunno: I doubt Yogi would leave him out

:agree: I'd play the same side with McBride replacing De Graff.

Ritchie
18-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Stack

Stokes Riordan(C)

:top marks

this is our strongest 11 IMO.

all we need is a new LB and we are on to a winner :agree:

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Its a strange one Dave, do we risk Hogg getting his usual ripping or do we risk Stephens against 2 of the best forwards in the league? The young lad is on a real high at the moment, he's just had his 1st international start for his country, and just made his league debut too. I'd be swaying towards letting the kid show us what he can do. He seems to me albeit from limited viewings a confident lad. I think he has a real future in the game, and while i realise he might get the runaround, i personally think he wont. And i think a good game on Sunday, could be the making of him. I think he will start more games for us this season, Sunday will be his hardest test, lets see how he goes.

It was his first start for Wales under 21's in a 1-1 draw against Malta. (He's already represented Wales at u/17 and u/19.)

Malta under 21's hardly equate to the Rangers first team.

I have great hopes for the laddie, but that's all I could have if he played on Sunday. Blind hope.

IMO, it would be irresponsible to play him from the start. Remember the game will be live on TV, with millions watching around the world, against the League Champions and DS is only 18.

I realise that Joe Keenan wasn't too great to start with, but a similar scenario basically ended his Hibs career.

He'll get plenty chances to show us what he can do, but please not on Sunday.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 09:36 AM
It was his first start for Wales under 21's in a 1-1 draw against Malta. (He's already represented Wales at u/17 and u/19.)

I have great hopes for the laddie, but that's all I could have if he played on Sunday. Blind hope.

IMO, it would be irresponsible to play him from the start. Remember the game will be live on TV, with millions watching around the world, against the League Champions and DS is only 18.

I realise that Joe Keenan wasn't too great to start with, but a similar scenario basically ended his Hibs career.

You might be right. I actually think Stephens is a better player than Hogg right now, and think he would do well. We will have to wait and see.

PeterboroHibee
18-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Stack
Hart Stephens Bamba Hanlon
De Graaf McBride Miller Wotherspoon/Galbraith
Stokes Riordan

I know Stephens doesnt have the same experience as Hogg but he looked decent when he came on, adds that extra bit of physical presence as well. Him and Bamba were dealing with every ball coming over the top with ease.

Not really sure about LM, Spoony looked good when he came on, not too sure how comfortable he is on the left. If he cant play there, Galbraith.

Cocaine&Caviar
18-08-2010, 09:47 AM
____________Stack
Hart____Bamba____Hanlon___Murray

_________De Graaf____McBride
_______________Miller
Wotherspoon_______________Riordan
_______________Stokes

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 09:47 AM
You might be right. I actually think Stephens is a better player than Hogg right now, and think he would do well. We will have to wait and see.

I think he's technically better too and I think he will have a fine career ahead of him.

Whether or not he has the mental strength yet is another matter.

Before last week, he'd only ever played 2 senior games, both for Lincoln City.

Bamba and Hogg or even Bamba and Hanlon, although I guess PH will be needed at left back.

I'd let DS get a taste of it from the bench and maybe give him a few mins once the game is settled.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Stack
De Graaf McBride Miller Wotherspoon/Galbraith
Stokes Riordan

I know Stephens doesnt have the same experience as Hogg

He has NO experience.

bighairyfaeleith
18-08-2010, 10:37 AM
He has NO experience.

only one way to get it though and thats by playing. I understand you wanting to preserve the lad, but if he's good enough, then he's good enough is my outlook on it.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 10:39 AM
only one way to get it though and thats by playing. I understand you wanting to preserve the lad, but if he's good enough, then he's good enough is my outlook on it.

Is he good enough?

Hainan Hibs
18-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Stack

Stokes Riordan(C)

Would be my team too:agree:

Hibbyradge
18-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Would be my team too:agree:

I'm ever so glad that you're not the manager.

This would be a good team if your objective was to give the team a good understanding of what it feels like to get humiliated in front of their home fans.

Stephens would get ripped apart by Miller and Beattie.

Wotherspoon and Galbraith wouldn't get a kick and our midfield would be totally over run.

FYI, this is who we face on Sunday.

01 McGregor
03 Weir
04 Broadfoot
05 Papac
16 Whittaker
24 Bougherra
07 Edu
09 Miller
11 Lafferty
14 Naismith
19 Beattie

A team with an inexperienced 18 year old centre back, an unproven 19 year old winger and 2 twenty year olds in it would stand no chance whatsoever.

IMO, of course.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-08-2010, 10:56 AM
.....................Stack....................

Hart......Hogg(C).....Bamba.........Hanlon

DeGraff.....Miller....McBride.....Spoony

.............Stokes.......Deeks................

--------
18-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Agree. If we really don't want to trust Hogg at centre-back, we could play Thicot.

Or Hanlon, with Thicot at LB.

I do think Yogi'll go with the same back four as at Fir Park.

Hainan Hibs
18-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm ever so glad that you're not the manager.

This would be a good team if your objective was to give the team a good understanding of what it feels like to get humiliated in front of their home fans.

Stephens would get ripped apart by Miller and Beattie.

Wotherspoon and Galbraith wouldn't get a kick and our midfield would be totally over run.

FYI, this is who we face on Sunday.

01 McGregor
03 Weir
04 Broadfoot
05 Papac
16 Whittaker
24 Bougherra
07 Edu
09 Miller
11 Lafferty
14 Naismith
19 Beattie

A team with an inexperienced 18 year old centre back, an unproven 19 year old winger and 2 twenty year olds in it would stand no chance whatsoever.

IMO, of course.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_motion.jpg

Sloppy
18-08-2010, 11:04 AM

is that you yogi? :greengrin
thats exactly theteam i think he will play

PeterboroHibee
18-08-2010, 11:08 AM
He has NO experience.

So? I seem to remember one of Hanlons very first games was against Rangers and he had Burke in his pocket the whole game.

For all Hoggs 'experience' anyway, he still makes stupid decisions and gets caught out, so why not try Stephens? Need to start somewhere, its at home so will have the crowd behind him and its only 2 games in. Obv Hogg wont get dropped but would rather see Stephens.

Ken
18-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I really think we should try and use the wide pitch to our advantage and play wingers in order to stretch the game to give Riordan and Stokes more space to create chances.

Nish is too slow and takes about a week to make a yard for himself, whereas Deeks and Stokes can do this quicker than you can say Rankin for Scotland. I actually think De Graff could play the Nish role (in behind Stokes and Riordan) better than Nish does but I would rather not play either for the Rangers game.

I would go with:

Brown

Wotherspoon McBride Miller Galbraith

Stokes, Riordan

Yogi will pick::agree:

Stack

Hart Hogg Bamba Hanlon

De Graff McBride Miller Riordan

Stokes Nish

Hibstrooper
18-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd be surprised if it isn't the same team that started against Motherwell.

Candidates for changes following the Motherwell game:

Stephens for Hogg - Yogi won't drop his captain for an inexperienced player against Rangers

Wotherspoon for De Graaf - He will want to give De Graaf more time to bed in

Wotherspoon/Galbraith for Nish (Riordan up top) - Yogi will want Nish's height against Rangers

So I don't think there will be any changes so therefore:

Stack

Hart
Hogg
Bamba
Hanlon

De Graaf
McBride
Miller
Riordan

Stokes
Nish

bighairyfaeleith
18-08-2010, 11:38 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_motion.jpg

:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
18-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd be surprised if it isn't the same team that started against Motherwell.

Candidates for changes following the Motherwell game:

Stephens for Hogg - Yogi won't drop his captain for an inexperienced player against Rangers

Wotherspoon for De Graaf - He will want to give De Graaf more time to bed in

Wotherspoon/Galbraith for Nish (Riordan up top) - Yogi will want Nish's height against Rangers

So I don't think there will be any changes so therefore:

Stack

Hart
Hogg
Bamba
Hanlon

De Graaf
McBride
Miller
Riordan

Stokes
Nish

I fear you may be right, I hope not but I think you will be

herdy
18-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Totally agree with this one, although i would be tempted to drop hart and play wotherspoon in his place. I just don't like the look of Hart, reminds me of van zanton.

Stack

Hart
Stephens
Bamba
Hanlon

Wotherspoon/De Graaf
McBride
Miller
Galbraith

Deeko
Stokes

Luna Landing
18-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Not sure that Yogi will start with 4-3-3 against Rangers as we need to win the midfield battle first . I would like to see the same team that finished against Well start the game as Spoony offered a lot more than de Graaf and Stephens looked good and offered protection to the back 4 - looked like he could play a bit of football as well. I think de graaf will play instead of Stephens although personally I would play Thicot in that role if not Stephens. Actually I think Thicot was great for us in the 2 nd half of last season whenever he got an opportunity - I really dont know what more he can do to get a start ahead of Hogg but cant see Yogi dropping his captain.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Totally agree with this one, although i would be tempted to drop hart and play wotherspoon in his place. I just don't like the look of Hart, reminds me of van zanton.

:hmmm: :jamboid: :jamboak:

vahibbie
18-08-2010, 12:11 PM

That would be mine also.

Keep the ball on the deck and move it around quickly and we can cause the HUNS some problems.
Hopefully Hogg will come onto a game, bit to early to throw young Stephens into a OF game.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2010, 12:23 PM
While i understand Stephens is inexperienced, i do remember us throwing Jonathon Ballie in against Celtic, and that turned out well. And the huns dont have anyone as good as Larsson in their team.

Diclonius
18-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Stack

de Graaf Miller McBride Wotherspoon

Stokes Riordan

Skanko79
18-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Stack

Hart Hogg (c) Bamba Hanlon

Wotherspoon De Graaf Miller Riordan

Stokes Nish

vantango79
18-08-2010, 07:59 PM
brown

hart thicot stephens hanlon

bamba

de graff miller rankin

stokes riordan

zemmama in for rankin when fit

hfc rd
18-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Graham Stack

Michael Hart
David Stephens
Steven Thicot
Paul Hanlon

Souleymane Bamba

Edwin De Graaf
Liam Miller
Danny Gailbraith

Anthony Stokes
Derek Riordan

Subs:
Mark Brown
Chris Hogg
Lewis Stevenson
Kevin McBride
John Rankin
David Wotherspoon
Colin Nish or one of the triliast's, if we sign one.

lucky
18-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I think Stephens wil be a player in the future but he is not ready to start but Hogg is gash. So I would Thicot. Drop Nish and bring in Wotherspoon so my team would be a 4-3-2-1

Stack

Hart Thicot Bamba Hanlon
Wotherspoon DeGraff McBride
Miller Deeks
Stokes

HibeeDaz6270
18-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Or he could be brilliant, and it could do his confidence the world of good, and help him become a regular for us?

If he was to be ripped apart, then it would be a lesson learned! Hes a professional football player, and these things happen, and he should be able to kick back from it. These are the games he should be wanting to play in, and if hes good enough he should. Personally i would have him in before hogg.

Franck is God
18-08-2010, 09:43 PM
My team for Sunday would be.

Smith

Hart---Hogg---Bamba---Hanlon

McBride
Spoony---DeGraaf---Miller---Riordan

Stokes

Subs

Brown
Thicot
Stephens
Rankin
Taggart
Galbraith
Nish

Bookkeeper
18-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Same team as started against motherwell. Would maybe start Wotherspoon instead of Nish and go 442 though.

sixtwo
18-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Graham Stack

Michael Hart
David Stephens
Steven Thicot
Paul Hanlon

Souleymane Bamba

Edwin De Graaf
Laim Miller
Danny Gailbraith

Anthony Stokes
Derek Riordan

Subs:
Mark Brown
Chris Hogg
Lewis Stevenson
Kevin McBride
John Rankin
David Wotherspoon
Colin Nish or one of the triliast's, if we sign one.

This team lacks a midfield imo, especially if miller is laim:wink:

500miles
18-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Wotherspoon's introduction was the real turning point against Motherwell.

Stephens played well because all he had to do was attack the ball, with Hogg waiting in behind him to cover any mistakes.

I'd be tempted to start Wotherspoon ahead of DeGraff, or even McBride, as I don't think he was effective until Wotherspoon came on.

Judas Iscariot
20-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd be happy to risk the pretty much untested Stephens rather than Hogg..

Even a Bamba/Hanlon partnership with Rankin in at LB is more appealing than any Hogg combination..

Penrith Hibee
20-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Is he good enough?

No. Not yet. By a country mile.

JimBHibees
20-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon Degraff McBride Miller Deek

Stokes

Hibby Bairn
20-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Smith

Thicot
Stephens
Hanlon
Stevenson

Wotherspoon
Currie
Rankin
Rice (!)
Galbraith

Byrne (recalled)

Getting back to the real world. Why change a winning team? Same 11 as started at Fir Park I reckon.

silverhibee
20-08-2010, 10:47 PM
My team for Sunday would be.

Smith

Hart---Hogg---Bamba---Hanlon

McBride
Spoony---DeGraaf---Miller---Riordan

Stokes

Subs

Brown
Thicot
Stephens
Rankin
Taggart
Galbraith
Nish

I see you have seen the light by including Mr Riordan in your starting eleven for this week, as you had him on the bench last week in your team. :rolleyes: