PDA

View Full Version : NHC Magennis (Aberdeen's new striker)

Frogga
17-08-2010, 06:43 PM
"Joshua Brendan David Magennis (born 15 August 1990) is a Northern Irish footballer who is currently playing for Aberdeen. Having spent the majority of his youth career as a goalkeeper, he switched to playing as a striker in 2008 before turning professional in 2009." (wikipedia)

Just noticed this earlier. I mean its not uncommon for players to move between outfield positions, but to move from GK to striker only 2 years ago seems craziness. I wonder if Aberdeen will bother with a sub keeper this year if they've got this lad?

Part/Time Supporter
17-08-2010, 07:22 PM
"Joshua Brendan David Magennis (born 15 August 1990) is a Northern Irish footballer who is currently playing for Aberdeen. Having spent the majority of his youth career as a goalkeeper, he switched to playing as a striker in 2008 before turning professional in 2009." (wikipedia)

Just noticed this earlier. I mean its not uncommon for players to move between outfield positions, but to move from GK to striker only 2 years ago seems craziness. I wonder if Aberdeen will bother with a sub keeper this year if they've got this lad?

Can't happen with the league rules. You get seven subs, one of whom has to be a nominated goalkeeper. If they nominated him as the sub goalie he would have to play as a goalie. There was a period when teams were only allowed either three or five subs (including a goalie) and the manager did have the flexibility to name all outfield subs. Warnock took advantage of this at Sheff Utd a few years back because Phil Jagielka is a reasonable goalkeeper. He played the last 30-odd minutes of the game against Arsenal where Nade scored the winner (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6205685.stm) in goal, making a big save from Van Persie.

SquashedFrogg
17-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Not exactly the same scenario but F. Torres was a goalie in youth football (and not very good) but had to come off the bench and play as a striker when some kid got injured and they didn't have anyone to replace him.

It was one of his old school friends who told the story.

Anyway, he went on and scored about 7 or 8 goals.

Suffice to say he never played in goals again. :agree:

( I must point out that I can't stand the guy)

Yadda Yadda
18-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Not exactly the same scenario but F. Torres was a goalie in youth football (and not very good) but had to come off the bench and play as a striker when some kid got injured and they didn't have anyone to replace him.

It was one of his old school friends who told the story.

Anyway, he went on and scored about 7 or 8 goals.

Suffice to say he never played in goals again. :agree:

( I must point out that I can't stand the guy)

How do you know Fernando Torres' schoolfriend ?