PDA

View Full Version : NHC Craig Bellamy on loan to Cardiff

jacomo
17-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Craig Bellamy has gone on loan to his hometown club (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8919925.stm) for a season.

Good news as far as I'm concerned - I remember him playing for them at ER (he got into a row with Gary Caldwell at the final whistle) and he terrified me. He'd have ripped SPL defences to shreds.

Complex character Bellamy - undoubtedly a mouthy wee git, but has given large chunks of his own time and money to charity projects in Sierra Leone, and is now turning his back on the EPL to play for the team he supported as a boy. Clearly not the typical narcissitic footballer, then.

Bit of an embarassment for Celtic, though, who perhaps should have been concentrating on the new strikers they've already signed, rather than chase this pipe-dream. He was never going to sign for them. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
17-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Craig Bellamy has gone on loan to his hometown club (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8919925.stm) for a season.

Good news as far as I'm concerned - I remember him playing for them at ER (he got into a row with Gary Caldwell at the final whistle) and he terrified me. He'd have ripped SPL defences to shreds.

Complex character Bellamy - undoubtedly a mouthy wee git, but has given large chunks of his own time and money to charity projects in Sierra Leone, and is now turning his back on the EPL to play for the team he supported as a boy. Clearly not the typical narcissitic footballer, then.

Bit of an embarassment for Celtic, though, who perhaps should have been concentrating on the new strikers they've already signed, rather than chase this pipe-dream. He was never going to sign for them. :greengrin

Given that Cardiff needed special dispensation to meet the conditions of the winding up order that was brought against them by the IR, I find it astonishing that they can now afford to fund a large part of his (what will be exhorbitant) wages. Sums up everything that's wrong with football right now.

mglancy23
17-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Given that Cardiff needed special dispensation to meet the conditions of the winding up order that was brought against them by the IR, I find it astonishing that they can now afford to fund a large part of his (what will be exhorbitant) wages. Sums up everything that's wrong with football right now.

am sure it was mentioned that city will continue to pay his wages! only teams that could match his wage are epl teams and city did not want him going to a epl team

joe breezy
17-08-2010, 01:33 PM
None of his wages are being paid by Cardiff City. At least 40% of his wages will be paid by a local businessman in South Wales...

Good move I think, come on the Bluebirds...

Holmesdale Hibs
17-08-2010, 01:50 PM

I remember that. Bellamy refused to shake his hand. He destroyed our defence that day and was/is well above SPL standard.

While giving money to charity should be commended, it’s easy to do when you’ve had the wages and the signing on fees that he’s had (how many times has he changed clubs?) IMO it doesn’t change the fact that he’s a wee prick.

DCI Gene Hunt
17-08-2010, 01:51 PM
At least he's not going to Smelltic. Ho ho ho :dummytit:

Guv

jacomo
17-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I remember that. Bellamy refused to shake his hand. He destroyed our defence that day and was/is well above SPL standard.

While giving money to charity should be commended, it’s easy to do when you’ve had the wages and the signing on fees that he’s had (how many times has he changed clubs?) IMO it doesn’t change the fact that he’s a wee prick.

Agree, Bellamy is minted and can clearly afford to give some of his fortune away without it impacting on his lifestyle at all.

But plenty of players in his financial position do nothing, or pay only lip service to charity. He's given up holidays to spend time in Sierra Leone.

I still dislike his on-field persona but you have to give him some credit.

Owain_1987
17-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Go on Bellamy :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

jgl07
17-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Bellamy was easily Manchester City's best player last season.

However he tends to be a disruptive influence wherever he plays and is usually moved on quickly.

Cardiff will be his eighth club in 10 years since leaving Norwich. The most games he has played for anyone is 93 for Newcastle. 40 appearances and 12 goals for Man City is good by comparison with other clubs.

Surprisingly he is full of praise for Man City and Mancini:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/7950446/Craig-Bellamy-praises-Manchester-City-and-Roberto-Mancini-after-leaving-for-Cardiff-City.html

His family live near Cardiff so that may be a factor.

Good luck to him at Cardiff.

.Sean.
17-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Not read the thread and i'm probably going against the grain here, but I don't mind Bellamy. Outside of football he has set up charities and is an ambassador for a clutch of others.

He's turned his back on the Premiership and dropped down a division to play for his struggling hometown club too, albeit he also wanted to be closer to his family.

He had a fantastic season last year. He's a real character, the kind you'd love to have in your side but hate if he's playing against you. Add to that he's a superb footballer. Had he signed on at Sellik he'd have torn every defender in the country a new ********.

lyonhibs
18-08-2010, 11:33 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/welsh-team-signs-truculent-midget-201008183012/

:tee hee::tee hee: