PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to an iphone...

matty_f
17-08-2010, 09:31 AM
My phone contract is up for an upgrade shortly, and I fancy getting an iPhone or at least a Samsung Galaxy S for my next phone. I'm with Orange, and have been for years, but I suspect that it's unlikely that I'll get one of these phones for free.

Does anyone know how readily a phone company will 'haggle' to keep business? I know I'd get closer to a free phone by switching, but I'd rather stick with Orange.

If they don't negotiate the price, and I let my contract run down with them, does anyone know if they'll get back in touch to try and entice me back?

Kerrplunk
17-08-2010, 09:49 AM
My phone contract is up for an upgrade shortly, and I fancy getting an iPhone or at least a Samsung Galaxy S for my next phone. I'm with Orange, and have been for years, but I suspect that it's unlikely that I'll get one of these phones for free.

Does anyone know how readily a phone company will 'haggle' to keep business? I know I'd get closer to a free phone by switching, but I'd rather stick with Orange.

If they don't negotiate the price, and I let my contract run down with them, does anyone know if they'll get back in touch to try and entice me back?

I am with Vodafone and was due an upgrade. Wanted the HTC Desire and they wanted to charge me £30 month for 300mins,unlimited texts and internet with a free phone over a 2 year contract. The problem was i knew someone who got the same deal for £20 a month.When they wouldn't budge i said i was cancelling my contract and asked them to send me a PAC code.
A few days later someone at customer retention phoned me and offered me the phone i wanted for free with 600mins,unlimited internet and texts for £17.50 a month for 2 years.......bargain :thumbsup:

My advice is tell Orange you are leaving if they will not give you what you're after and then wait on that call a few days later!!

Pretty Boy
17-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I am with Vodafone and was due an upgrade. Wanted the HTC Desire and they wanted to charge me £30 month for 300mins,unlimited texts and internet with a free phone over a 2 year contract. The problem was i knew someone who got the same deal for £20 a month.When they wouldn't budge i said i was cancelling my contract and asked them to send me a PAC code.
A few days later someone at customer retention phoned me and offered me the phone i wanted for free with 600mins,unlimited internet and texts for £17.50 a month for 2 years.......bargain :thumbsup:

My advice is tell Orange you are leaving if they will not give you what you're after and then wait on that call a few days later!!

I had a similar situation with O2.

Was due a yearly upgrade and told them i wanted an iphone and they said for my current contract terms i could only have an older version and not the most up to date(at the time) model. I simply requested to cancel my contract and asked for a PAC code. 2 hours later a very nice young lady called me and informed me that as 'a gesture of goodwill' they would give me the latest iphone at my current monthly charge and would add an extra 200 free call minutes for the first 6 months of the contract.

legends of 73
17-08-2010, 11:01 AM
matty

i am currently waiting for the courier man with my new iphone i got it for diddly squat and £50 a month for unlimited mins and texts also got unlimited tinernet all from orange.

ArabHibee
17-08-2010, 11:58 AM
matty

i am currently waiting for the courier man with my new iphone i got it for diddly squat and £50 a month for unlimited mins and texts also got unlimited tinernet all from orange.

Is that from the same place that was selling a cheap "i-pad"? :cool2:

matty_f
17-08-2010, 12:10 PM
matty

Ideally, I'll not be spending £50/month on the contract with them!

I've got broadband with Orange as well, which will hopefully give me a little extra leverage.

legends of 73
17-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Is that from the same place that was selling a cheap "i-pad"? :cool2:

do you want one:faf::faf::faf::faf:

the amount of gullible cants who fell for it was unreal

ArabHibee
17-08-2010, 08:32 PM
do you want one:faf::faf::faf::faf:

the amount of gullible cants who fell for it was unreal

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

:greengrin

CB_NO3
18-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Dont get the iPhone, they are rubbish, get an Android phone.

matty_f
18-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Dont get the iPhone, they are rubbish, get an Android phone.

My iPhone alternative choice is the Samsung Galaxy S, heard it does most of what the iPhone does anyway.

CB_NO3
18-08-2010, 07:32 AM
If you get an Android, they can do more than the iPhone. They have an amazing flash mode player to stream live football etc and they will get even better with the launch of Android 2.2 coming out soon which is free to all Android users. iPhones are easy to use. I have the HTC Desire which is amazing. Not seen much of the Samsung one you are thinking off but it looks good.

HH81
18-08-2010, 07:35 AM
If you get an Android, they can do more than the iPhone. They have an amazing flash mode player to stream live football etc and they will get even better with the launch of Android 2.2 coming out soon which is free to all Android users. iPhones are easy to use. I have the HTC Desire which is amazing. Not seen much of the Samsung one you are thinking off but it looks good.

Heard a lot of good things about that phone so when my contract is up im getting involved. :thumbsup:

CB_NO3
18-08-2010, 12:42 PM
You wont be dissappinted.

Woody1985
18-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I got the HTC desire last night. Typing on it now. :greengrin

Hibs90
18-08-2010, 10:33 PM
matty

I'm paying £5 less than you for the same but with O2.

CB_NO3
20-08-2010, 10:03 PM
How you finding it?