PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter on Riordan

Westie1875
16-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Levein says on sportscene 2 mins ago that Derek Riordan needs to do more defensively before he can get a game for Scotland...... just 10 minutes after saying that the only reason Steven Naismith (how many goals in the last couple of seasons?:rolleyes: ) hasn't been included in his squads is that he hasn't been fit. :bitchy:

That about sums up our national team, we're not interested in players who can create and score goals - we'd rather fill the team with big boys who can put themselves about and old firm fringe players. As long as the national team management keep this mentality we are never going to catch up with other national teams.

He also suggested Riordan was a "passenger" - clearly hasn't seen many Hibs games in the last season as I think we'd all agree that Riordan's work rate has vastly improved and he is far from a passenger. :bitchy:

Dunbar Hibee
16-08-2010, 10:41 PM
To$$er.

Hainan Hibs
16-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Good to see Levein has kept an eye on Deeko over the last season, I mean we all didn't see a vast improvement in his tracking back did we?:bitchy:

I was hoping Levein would be different for Scotland but it's the same old pish and the man is a complete and utter dick.

down-the-slope
16-08-2010, 10:44 PM
what he said was 'i'm sure Derek wouldn't mind me saying that he needs to do more in the defensive part of his game'...'Scotland are not good enough to carry any passengers'.....'his skill at set plays and vision in open play is not in doubt'.....

:rolleyes:

Now I have been...on here at least..one of Deeks critics for certain aspects of his play.....but new season and he looks fitter / sharper than for ages and HAS been contributing much more to the team in games pre-season and few compeditive ones (maybe he should have another Kid :wink:)

Davy Mac
16-08-2010, 10:46 PM
That my friend is why Levein will be always be a jambo tosspot and why Scotland will never move forward as a nation.

Tell you what though if Deeks played for any other team outwith Scotland he would get his game - guaranteed.

C'mon Deeks and the Hibs - Levien :bye:

vahibbie
16-08-2010, 10:49 PM
what he said was 'i'm sure Derek wouldn't mind me saying that he needs to do more in the defensive part of his game'...'Scotland are not good enough to carry any passengers'.....'his skill at set plays and vision in open play is not in doubt'.....

FFS, there's been several in every Scotland team for ages.
I think Derek might actually mind him saying that. Jambo tw@t needs to get out more and have a real look at what's going on.

Liberal Hibby
16-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Levein says on sportscene 2 mins ago that Derek Riordan needs to do more defensively before he can get a game for Scotland...... just 10 minutes after saying that the only reason Steven Naismith (how many goals in the last couple of seasons?:rolleyes: ) hasn't been included in his squads is that he hasn't been fit. :bitchy:

That about sums up our national team, we're not interested in players who can create and score goals - we'd rather fill the team with big boys who can put themselves about and old firm fringe players. As long as the national team management keep this mentality we are never going to catch up with other national teams.

It's clear that until Riordan really screws the nut and grows up he's not going to be allowed to disrupt Scotland's dressing room. Levein was clearly talking rubbish about getting Riordan to play more defensively - it's in my view a cover for his more unsavoury reputation.

Hopefully with the birth of his kid he'll realise he has to settle down and take the remaining chances that come to him. So far the signs are good - and the stuff Hughes is coming out with about fitness and players as athletes looking after themselves.

BryanV
16-08-2010, 10:52 PM
It's like when Burley told Riordan he was in the last chance saloon, when he had not had a first chance. A passenger, when he is not scoring goals or setting them up? The warning given to Marshall before he had done anything, the waving back of the banned for life huns without even the decency of a waiting period, christ he was begging Ferguson to come back. The courting of Driver, the hunting through pish in the English lower leagues asking them to pretend to be Scottish. And yet, that coot who never finished above Jimmy Calderwood in the SPL has the gall to criticize Riordan, as if Boyd does a lot of unseen work or is half the player Deek is.

Bookkeeper
16-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Thought at one time he was a decent manager, but he's clearly an idiot coming out wi rubbish like that. He's talking about the Deeks of yesteryear. Riordan has added more to his game last year and looks even better this year.

Westie1875
16-08-2010, 10:54 PM

Now I have been...on here at least..one of Deeks critics for certain aspects of his play.....but new season and he looks fitter / sharper than for ages and HAS been contributing much more to the team in games pre-season and few compeditive ones (maybe he should have another Kid :wink:)

I think Derek would mind him saying that these days as it is clearly something that he HAS been working on and has improved.

What annoys me is that Levein comes out with this which shows he hasn't been watching Riordan much at all over the past season, yet is quite happy to admit he will chuck Steven Naismith back in at the first chance he gets without any need to prove anything even though he has hardly played over the past couple of years due to injuries.

Double standards.

BryanV
16-08-2010, 10:54 PM
It's clear that until Riordan really screws the nut and grows up he's not going to be allowed to disrupt Scotland's dressing room. Levein was clearly talking rubbish about getting Riordan to play more defensively - it's in my view a cover for his more unsavoury reputation.

Hopefully with the birth of his kid he'll realise he has to settle down and take the remaining chances that come to him. So far the signs are good - and the stuff Hughes is coming out with about fitness and players as athletes looking after themselves.

Goodwillie will be in the Scotland set up before Riordan and he has done far more. I don't think Riordan has any criminal convictions, unless being cheeky to a bouncer is a felony. Christ the Scotland set-up with Mcgregor, Boyd et al is a veritable rogues gallery.

.Sean.
16-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Once a speccy Hearts fanny, always a speccy Hearts fanny.

Levein always has been, and always will be, a grade A fud. He'll fail as Scotland boss, I guaruntee it.

The Harp Awakes
16-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Levein then went onto foam at the mouth over Shaun Maloney being back playing for Celtic, blah, blah, blah.. So he must think Maloney's harder working than Riordan then:rolleyes:

Levein is a muppet and he's the main reason I've attended my last Scotland match for a while.

LALthehibeeGAL
16-08-2010, 10:57 PM
the only thing that tells me is that he hasn't seen Deeks at all - because if he had he would not be saying that - for Scotland to progress we need to really look beyond the old firm or the teams ex old firms have gone too!!! FWIW (whilst not an ex old firm - McFadden (and I like him normally) was totally sheite last week!!! If Harry Potter could just take off the Yam/Hun coloured specs he would see Deeks had more talent than what he has -but I think not.

so I translate what he said as "Deeks never used to track back and used to be a bit of a ned and well he plays for hibs so I'm no picking him!!"

Bookkeeper
16-08-2010, 10:58 PM
When you hear this sort of rubbish and see the double standards folk have posted above, its no wonder its hard to get excited about the Scotland national team.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I will not be supporting the Scotland national team until that man leaves his post. His comments on Sportscene tonight were absolutely disgraceful.

Rob McLean asked him, after our match was on, if Derek Riordan was going to be in his thoughts for future Scotland squads.

Levein replied by saying something along the lines of, Derek is a good goalscorer but I hope he doesn't mind me saying this but the Scotland national team can't afford any passengers and I think he needs to work more on the defensive side of his game.

He had previously mentioned Steven Naismith as a potential Scotland regular, if he could play more often for Rangers so if he considers him to be international class then I cannot understand how he thinks Derek Riordan would be a passenger if he played for Scotland. I know it was before Levein took over but when Riordan came on against Wales, he did more to threaten the Welsh goal in the last 10 minutes than the starting 11 players had managed between them in the first 80 minutes.

For a man to talk about not accepting passengers for the national team when he picks the likes of Broadfoot, Kenneth and Iwelumo is, quite frankly, laughable.

I've never been a great follower of Scotland but after that tonight, I really couldn't care less what happens to Scotland whilst that Jambo :asshole: is in charge.

84 goals in 172 SPL starts. Almost one goal every two starts in his SPL career. That's what Derek Riordan gives you, Craig, and if you don't want that then that's Scotland's loss. It will be to the benefit of Hibs.

If I was Derek Riordan listening to that tonight, I would be giving Levein a call in the morning to tell him that he can ram his Scotland jersey where the sun doesn't shine and then go on to score 20 goals this season. :bye:

Bookkeeper
16-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I will not be supporting the Scotland national team until that man leaves his post. His comments on Sportscene tonight were absolutely disgraceful.

Rob McLean asked him, after our match was on, if Derek Riordan was going to be in his thoughts for future Scotland squads.

Levein replied by saying something along the lines of, Derek is a good goalscorer but I hope he doesn't mind me saying this but the Scotland national team can't afford any passengers and I think he needs to work more on the defensive side of his game.

He had previously mentioned Steven Naismith as a potential Scotland regular, if he could play more often for Rangers so if he considers him to be international class then I cannot understand how he thinks Derek Riordan would be a passenger if he played for Scotland. I know it was before Levein took over but when Riordan came on against Wales, he did more to threaten the Welsh goal in the last 10 minutes than the starting 11 players had managed between them in the first 80 minutes.

For a man to talk about not accepting passengers for the national team when he picks the likes of Broadfoot, Kenneth and Iwelumo is, quite frankly, laughable.

I've never been a great follower of Scotland but after that tonight, I really couldn't care less what happens to Scotland whilst that Jambo :asshole: is in charge.

84 goals in 172 SPL starts. Almost one goal every two starts in his SPL career. That's what Derek Riordan gives you, Craig, and if you don't want that then that's Scotland's loss. It will be to the benefit of Hibs.

If I was Derek Riordan listening to that tonight, I would be giving Levein a call in the morning to tell him that he can ram his Scotland jersey where the sun doesn't shine and then go on to score 20 goals this season. :bye:

:top marks:agree:

Sir David Gray
16-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I've just spent the last 20 minutes typing out a rant in another thread so no doubt this will get merged with mine shortly.

I was disgusted to hear those comments by Levein and I think he should be embarrassed by what he said.

Kris Boyd has never tracked back in his life and yet he's in the Scotland squad every single time, no questions asked. Why? Because he scores goals.

Derek Riordan, whilst not being quite as prolific as Boyd, also scores goals and, at the very least, should be picked for Scotland squads.

.Sean.
16-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Couldn't agree more, FalkirkHibee :agree:

I hardly take an interest in the national team as it it, and with George Peat at the helm and a Hearts ******* like Levein in charge of footballing matters, my interest in the Scottish side sure as hell won't be picking up any time soon.

500miles
16-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Derek Riordan spent too much of his career resting on his laurels. Scotland can't carry ANYONE for 90 minutes in the hope that they may spend 30 seconds scoring a goal.

He seems a more complete player these days, and if he is properly grounded then he will take those comments and use them as motivation to mainting his improved game, and continue down the path that he has started on.

Hibs On Tour
16-08-2010, 11:11 PM
DR has been a far better player ever since he came back to us. Think he realised he had to work to make his game more complete and he has. For Levein to come out with that shower of ****** tonight was just unbelieveable - then in the next breath to start bigging up Maloney and Naismith, neither of whom have offered even remotely what DR offers up front.

DR is a goalscorer - goals win games - ENDOF.

ballengeich
16-08-2010, 11:11 PM
If I was Derek Riordan listening to that tonight, I would be giving Levein a call in the morning to tell him that he can ram his Scotland jersey where the sun doesn't shine and then go on to score 20 goals this season.

On the other hand, if you were Derek Riordan you could reflect on the national team manager's comment and resolve to remedy the deficiencies that have stopped you making the most of your talent.

There were signs on Sunday that Deek is prepared to work harder for a team this season, so let's hope - for Hibs and Scotland.

Toaods
16-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Quite simply, he's 100% right.

"Scotland cannot afford to carry anyone" - particularly the mediocre guff he seems to think are Scotland material as they are more often than not incapable of carrying themselves week in, week out.

Scotland will become another mechanical , passionless Levein side and watch the attendance level plummet. Gary Kenneth...................ohhhh, ma sides..........:faf:

I hope Deek rattles three hat-tricks before December and when Levein comes crawling back with his tail between his legs, Deek can tell him to F.Off.

Hibs On Tour
16-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Answered in the other thread and was delighted others had got just as annoyed about that speccy fud as I had watching that pish tonight.

Ignore all the other bollocks - goals win games and DR gives us that and would give Scotland that if he got a regular starting chance instead of just 10 minute substitute cameos. Imagine Scotland with DR and Fletcher up front with Faddy attacking midfielder with Brown and Darren Fletcher holding? That's no sounding too bad is it...?

Have to keep that one in the dream arena cos sure as sugar that Jambo plum isn't going to do that anytime soon!

Ach well, keeps Deek fresher and fitter for our games and he may even get wound up about it and stick another couple on top in the onion bag to work it up Potter. Works for me.

vahibbie
16-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Derek Riordan spent too much of his career resting on his laurels. Scotland can't carry ANYONE for 90 minutes in the hope that they may spend 30 seconds scoring a goal.

He seems a more complete player these days, and if he is properly grounded then he will take those comments and use them as motivation to mainting his improved game, and continue down the path that he has started on.

How no:confused:
Better to be a passenger AND score than be like some of the huddies that get a game and dae F all except be a passenger.
Not that I think Deek is a passenger:greengrin

500miles
16-08-2010, 11:22 PM
How no:confused:
Better to be a passenger AND score than be like some of the huddies that get a game and dae F all except be a passenger.
Not that I think Deek is a passenger:greengrin

Scotland aren't good enough. We have to have eleven players that can keep things tight at all times.

And Derek Riordan was too often a liability in a team when you didn't have the ball. Therefore he wasn't of use to Scotland, certainly not as a starter. To try and paint his past as anything else is taking away credit from him for the way he has upped his game recently.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2010, 11:22 PM

The passenger tag is just a complete nonsense given by someone who clearly just doesn't like Derek Riordan and who is looking for an excuse, no matter how feeble, not to play him. It's not as if Riordan just hides for 89 minutes and then pops up to score the odd goal from time to time. Although he didn't score on Sunday, his excellent free kick led to our opening goal and his brilliant cross into the box gave us the second goal.

If he had bothered to watch him at all over the past two years, he would have noticed that he does a lot more work in helping out the defence and his workrate is usually first class.

For the Scotland manager to come out with this utter crap is just disgraceful.

I might not have liked it but if he had said tonight "Whilst I am Scotland manager, Derek Riordan has no future at international level and, to be perfectly honest, I just don't like the guy", then I might have respected him a lot more than I do after hearing that complete drivel that he spouted tonight.

At least it would have been the truth.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2010, 11:24 PM
On the other hand, if you were Derek Riordan you could reflect on the national team manager's comment and resolve to remedy the deficiencies that have stopped you making the most of your talent.

There were signs on Sunday that Deek is prepared to work harder for a team this season, so let's hope - for Hibs and Scotland.

Derek Riordan will never get a fair crack of the whip whilst Levein is in charge. It won't matter what he does from here on in, that much was made pretty clear tonight.

500miles
16-08-2010, 11:25 PM
The passenger tag is just a complete nonsense given by someone who clearly just doesn't like Derek Riordan and who is looking for an excuse, no matter how feeble, not to play him. It's not as if Riordan just hides for 89 minutes and then pops up to score the odd goal from time to time. Although he didn't score on Sunday, his excellent free kick led to our opening goal and his brilliant cross into the box gave us the second goal.

If he had bothered to watch him at all over the past two years, he would have noticed that he does a lot more work in helping out the defence and his workrate is usually first class.

I might not have liked it but if he had said tonight "Whilst I am Scotland manager, Derek Riordan has no future at international level and, to be perfectly honest, I just don't like the guy", then I might have respected him a lot more than I do after hearing that complete drivel that he spouted tonight.

Sorry, the number of times the opposition started moves from Derek Riordan's area of the pitch over the last couple of seasons suggests otherwise. Periodically last season he lifted his game in that respect, but he has taken that to another level so far this season, including preseason.

JE89
16-08-2010, 11:26 PM

my interest in the Scottish side sure as hell won't be picking up any time soon.

Aye, until we get into a situation where we have a chance to qualify for a major tournament and it's hard enough to get into a pub to watch it never mind go to the game.

So, hypothetically speaking, we get to Euro 2012 under Levein. You lads wouldn't be supporting? Jog on.

ekhibee
16-08-2010, 11:28 PM
:top marksSpot on FalkirkHibee, you echo my sentiments entirely. Surely the prerequisite of becoming a good Scotland manager, and there haven't been many of those in recent years, is impartiality. Whether he was a good club manager or not, his biased attitude towards Hibs always seems to shine through eventually. And I'll repeat what I said on another post on the Scotland team recently. Do people really think that if Andy Driver played for Hibs, that Levein would go to the lengths he did to try and get him? Sorry, in my opinion, no chance. I resented Brown and Roxburgh for their OF bias before, but now, when he desperately needs the best talent available to qualify for the next major tournament, he choses to ignore one of Scotland's most gifted players. Again. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that useless clown Black had an influence on his thinking as well. Grrrr.....!!

Sir David Gray
16-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Aye, until we get into a situation where we have a chance to qualify for a major tournament and it's hard enough to get into a pub to watch it never mind go to the game.

So, hypothetically speaking, we get to Euro 2012 under Levein. You lads wouldn't be supporting? Jog on.

There is so much that stinks with the Scotland national team and the SFA, it's been that way for years and I just really don't care about the national side.

Scotland were playing Sweden last week and it was live on TV and I actually forgot that it was on until I saw the half time score. If I got a free ticket to go and watch Scotland, I would need to think twice.

Bookkeeper
16-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Sorry, the number of times the opposition started moves from Derek Riordan's area of the pitch over the last couple of seasons suggests otherwise. Periodically last season he lifted his game in that respect, but he has taken that to another level so far this season, including preseason.

No' sure what you're trying to say here! How many Hibs players inbetween "Derek Riordan's area of the pitch" and oor goal? Let the forwards score goals and the defenders defend.

ballengeich
16-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Derek Riordan will never get a fair crack of the whip whilst Levein is in charge. It won't matter what he does from here on in, that much was made pretty clear tonight.

If he remedies the deficiencies in his game he'll return to the Scottish national squad. Why would Levein discard anyone who can improve the team? At any level of football there are people who score goals, but can't step up to the next level. Deek didn't hold down a regular place at Celtic and when he left he didn't go on to a team paying wages we couldn't compete with. I think he's as talented as any player we've produced in the last couple of decades, but he hasn't fulfilled his potential so far. I hope he does in the next couple of years.

JE89
There is so much that stinks with the Scotland national team and the SFA, it's been that way for years and I just really don't care about the national side.

Scotland were playing Sweden last week and it was live on TV and I actually forgot that it was on until I saw the half time score. If I got a free ticket to go and watch Scotland, I would need to think twice.

That doesn't answer the question. You clearly hold a hatred for the Scottish national side/SFA but if we got to Euro 2012, you would not support them due to this hatred?

snooky
Personally, these days I wouldn't get off my bahooky to switch the telly on to watch a Scotland game. The dregs that have been given caps recently have made us a laughing stock.
If Levein says that Deek is 'a passenger' and picks the likes of Broadfoot & Kenneth then we may as well throw the towel in now.

Aye Craig, Swedes 3 Turnips 0, gaun yersell man. :lolyam:

houston1875
16-08-2010, 11:47 PM

a was thinking the same too,that man is a twat who needs to throw a bucket of sheiite at himself!!

blairwallace
16-08-2010, 11:54 PM
in reality he is a yam, they hate deeks with a passion. add in that he is scotland manager and he'll pick an old firm player over anyone else. i'm on the side that is not supporting scotland national team till the dud is sacked or resigns :bitchy:

eastmainsmsh
16-08-2010, 11:59 PM
pity graeme hogg did nt hit him first ...........

never liked levein right miserable sod .....

what an arrogant prck :grr:

Deeks will make him eat his words i hope he scores a hat trick in derby

have it ya yam fannys :thumbsup:

snooky
17-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Isn't it ironic that even OF reserves get picked for Scotland yet their fans 'support' England and Ireland. :confused:
Go figure.

eastmainsmsh
17-08-2010, 12:06 AM
I canny see us doing anything with levein anyway ...... negative

gary kenneth , broadfoot , etc are never scotland material

I love scotland

why say that in public no class

what has he ever done to be a scotland manager

he failed in england big style

what goes around comes around

monktonharp
17-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Levein is a muppet and he's the main reason I've attended my last Scotland match for a while.:agree:Idont even watch them now,so despondent about it all,especially seeing that trumpet as manager,looks mair like Horace Broon than Harry Potter anyway.

Diclonius
17-08-2010, 12:23 AM
The SFA is the same as it always has been - dominated by Weegies and blazers who can't see beyond ten miles of their home city or their next expensive holiday abroad.

The despondency from the media and predominantly OF-supporting Scottish football fans will see to it that the mediocrity continues. Guys, we're ****ed.

Hibercelona
17-08-2010, 01:08 AM

Hartley has and always will be a bigger tosspot than Riordan. Yet, when he gets fit, he'll be welcomed back with open arms. Not to mention that we already have far bigger gimps in the Scotland squad than Riordan.

Who cares if Riordans been banned from nightclubs by people trying to "set an example". It has nothing to do with his talent as a fooball player. Besides, he's done nothing wrong of late and has been working extremely hard to improve every aspect of his game and if Levein really had Scotlands best interests at heart, he would take Riordan on board.

Toaods
17-08-2010, 01:17 AM
And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that useless clown Black had an influence on his thinking as well. Grrrr.....!!

I think tthat pair probably engage in rampant gay sex as a follow on from their bathsharing days at Homo FC............'and I'm sure Craig won't mind me saying that'....:faf:

basehibby
17-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I think Levein has a point in that Scotland can't afford to carry players who don't put in a real shift in all but the easiest of fixtures - against the top nations we need eleven guys working their socks off to stand any real chance of getting a result.

That said I thought Riordan showed a lot of improvement in that aspect of his game over the course of last season - if he keeps that attitude up then surely he can't be ignored for too long. Afterall, Scotland is not overendowed with players of Deek's natural ability.

NaeTechnoHibby
17-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Dearie me :bitchy:

What did you expect ????

Jezeo, we had Berti and Burley trying to go outwith the OF and try something different...... yet you didnae like that either :agree:

Craig Brown of his ilk is what you all want again :bitchy:

Craig Levein is the perfect man for that :boo hoo:

All in MHO :greengrin

Skanko79
17-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Dearie me :bitchy:

What did you expect ????

Jezeo, we had Berti and Burley trying to go outwith the OF and try something different...... yet you didnae like that either :agree:

Craig Brown of his ilk is what you all want again :bitchy:

Craig Levein is the perfect man for that :boo hoo:

All in MHO :greengrin

what was wrong wi craig brown like?

under brown we beat england at wembley, beat germany away, drew with holland away, beat rep ireland in dublin and were a baw hair away fi gettin oot our france 98' group if it wasnt for jim leighton.

Skanko79
17-08-2010, 02:12 AM

with all due respect mate you are reacting as if he called deeks a passenger which he didnt. all he said was that the team couldnt afford any passengers. If anything i thought Levein praised him more than knock him. he obviously recognises the fact that deeks can score goals (which we all know he can) and thats a good thing. fair enough he is maybe showing his inexperience by saying deeks should improve a part of his game he has already worked on immensely. can only be a good thing for deek and hibs, if he wants to be in the squads he has to up his game even more. dont see how you can take negatives from someone wanting more from a hibs player when all folk seem to do on here is do nothing but berate guys like nishy, hogg and john rankin. we want more from them, levein wants more from deeks, get over it.

and for the record, i did disagree with the appointment of levein and dont think he's up to the job. but getting behind my national team the same way i do my club team im giving him the benefit of the doubt. even if he is a jambo ****. :cool2:

essexhibee
17-08-2010, 02:30 AM

:top marksFantastic Post.

EasterRoad4Ever
17-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Levein then went onto foam at the mouth over Shaun Maloney being back playing for Celtic, blah, blah, blah.. So he must think Maloney's harder working than Riordan then:rolleyes:

Levein is a muppet and he's the main reason I've attended my last Scotland match for a while.

Not a Levein fan and OF bias is still endemic within the Scottish game at every level HOWEVER Derek only has himself to blame for his lack of National caps. He is an outstanding talent and natural goalscorer but there is good reason why he is still at Hibs - he is a bit of a maverick, has a dodgy rep off the pitch and often moans for 90 mins a game. At Well he spent the first half moaning at other Hibs players and Hughes rather than getting on with the game. You cannot have that at National level. It is really annoying that useless players like Naismith and Malloney who are not as good goalscorer are ahead of Derek, but they are more professional in their approach. The best way Derek can answer this is to knuckle down, score loads of goals, be more of a team player and stop moaning.

rainman
17-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Craig Levein is a boring Yam Tw4t.

IDST

col02
17-08-2010, 05:18 AM
I used to be a slight of Riordan in his early days for the lack of work off the ball but the last six months or so anyone who watches him play regularly will tell you there has been a complete change in his work ethic. He must be one of the fittest players in our squad now the amount of work he does both in going forward where he is at his best and also in tracking back to help his man out. In short I feel I am watching a player who has taken things on board and matured for the better as a player!

All Riordan can do is keep playing the way he is and eventually even the biased press in Glasgow will have to stand up and take notice. If you are talking about guys like Naismith getting in before him then I am having some doubts about Levein.

givescotlandfreedom
17-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Potter's a Hearts tosser. Apart from his bitterness against Hibs he'd much rather play robots than an actual football player with skill and imagiation. Oh and a barrow full of goals!

Part/Time Supporter
17-08-2010, 05:58 AM

:blah: :blah:

Yet he picks McFadden last week at left wing, who offered about as much help to Lee Wallace defensively as a traffic cone.

Sandy
17-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Not a Levein fan and OF bias is still endemic within the Scottish game at every level HOWEVER Derek only has himself to blame for his lack of National caps. He is an outstanding talent and natural goalscorer but there is good reason why he is still at Hibs - he is a bit of a maverick, has a dodgy rep off the pitch and often moans for 90 mins a game. At Well he spent the first half moaning at other Hibs players and Hughes rather than getting on with the game. You cannot have that at National level. It is really annoying that useless players like Naismith and Malloney who are not as good goalscorer are ahead of Derek, but they are more professional in their approach. The best way Derek can answer this is to knuckle down, score loads of goals, be more of a team player and stop moaning.

And it's with attitudes like the above that will ensure Scotland will not progress as a nation in footballing terms. Look back to the times when we were a force to be reckoned with circa 1970's, plenty of 'mavericks' in the team then. If you can't/wont pick a player of natural talent that is a bit of a moaner over a player who tracks back but offers **** all else, we are truly stuffed.

Part/Time Supporter
17-08-2010, 06:05 AM

The "international class" Naismith has scored 10 goals in three seasons for Rangers. Not for a lack of appearances either, as he's made 51 starts and come on 32 times.

FFS, Nade or Clum would do better than that.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=35605

Levein

:bye:

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that Craig Levein talks a lot of sense on this issue and that Scotland does indeed need strong, physical players, who are prepared to battle for etc etc...

Got you going for a bit there, eh?

No I'm not actually, I'm going to add my voice to the others on this board. It didn't take long to dispel that slight kernel of optimism in my chest that CL might be the man to provide something of interest in the Scottish national team, other than the laughter and humiliation fests we've grown used to over the last two or three decades. It's very much business as usual, and his views on Riordan v Naismith is indicative of what happens when you get a monkey who is not international class in a job.

Top managers recognise talent, and deploy it. Stoical Scottish jobsworths pick teams with Record and Sun sports columnists and masonic SFA officials in mind.

Another deadbeat takes up 'the job of death'.

Beefster
17-08-2010, 06:54 AM
An international manager with a modicum of class would have just said "Riordan's a player we're always keeping an eye on. If he can improve his defensive play (which Hughes has mentioned before too), I'm sure he's capable of forcing his way into my squad".

Levein's a Yam, however, and class is in short supply.

s.a.m
17-08-2010, 06:58 AM
An international manager with a modicum of class would have just said "Riordan's a player we're always keeping an eye on. If he can improve his defensive play (which Hughes has mentioned before too), I'm sure he's capable of forcing his way into my squad".

Spot on.

Frazerbob
17-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Three assists and Man of the Match from Sky.......nae bad for a passenger!

bighairyfaeleith
17-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Potter is a yam ****. Riordan should just keep quiet and lead hibs to glory, levein will no see out this current campaign anywaya dn then hopefully the next manager will be a bit more enlightened.

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Potter is a yam ****. Riordan should just keep quiet and lead hibs to glory, levein will no see out this current campaign anywaya dn then hopefully the next manager will be a bit more enlightened.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

bighairyfaeleith
17-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

yeah your probably right:agree:

ronaldo7
17-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Spot on FH.

Deek has improved dramatically on this side of his game. The amount of times I've noticed him back clearing our lines, chasing back, and helping out the defence far outnumbers the times he is on his heels looking at the full backs running past him. Levein needs to take off the blinkers and see him for what he is now, and that's a full Scottish Internationalist scoring goals.

I'll not be back at Hampdump with Scotland until he changes his attitude to Players who have changed their's.:bye:

ahibby
17-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Sweden 3 Scotland 0, says it all.

Spike Mandela
17-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Just watch how quickly the English passenger Driver get's a game when fit.

Derek better to keep his mouth shut, do his stuff and let Leveins reign run it's course. Levein is the most overrated manager in Scotland ever IMO .

As for Deeks reputation holding him back, well, it didn't stop McGregor getting a grovelling message to return to the fold did it. Pathetic.

Houchy
17-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Sorry, I've just jumped on here and not had time to read all the posts so haven't seen it posted anywhere else but SSN have been saying that he's contemplating recalling Hartley to the squad.

The **** scores 3 pens then all of a sudden he's back in the reckoning!!!

Levein, away and lie in yer p1sh ya clown.

Arch Stanton
17-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I've no problem with what Levein says whatsoever and neither should Riordan - If Levein wants him to be a harder worker before selecting him for Scotland then it is surely better that Riordan knows this and has the opportunity to rise to the challenge - while there has been an improvement he still doesn't do nearly enough compared to the top players IMO

While Riordan can get goals for Hibs even when we are playing rubbish I don't think Levein should be lambasted for not wanting Scotland to be rubbish in the first place. It's not just the tracking back - you don't get much width in the team with Riordan either.

The goals scored and conceded as a team is more relevant than the number scored by an individual player - who is to say that Scotland would score more goals with Riordan in the team. Did Celtic score more goals with Riordan in the team? And I'd like to hear what Strachan's motivation was for being anti-Riordan, him not being a Jambo and all.

keep the faith
17-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Well didn't they find a tactic sheet in the Scottish dressing room last week which read "****** them all. Defend defend defend!" That and the fact they are happy to ignore gifted footballers on favour of guys like Kenneth and donkey broadfoot is why we are in the mess we are.
Potters grovelling to wasters like Ferguson and mcgregor was so classless it was unreal. Ignoring deeks shows he is biased as well as out his depth.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2010, 08:18 AM
You can set your team out to defend and try and steal a goal, or you can set your team up to try and win the game. levein has always preferred the hammer throwing way, thats not going to change, so Riordan wont get a sniff.:boo hoo:

mjhibby
17-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Use to detest harry potter until he got the scotland job.He seemed to make a lot of fair comments about the games incuding how we could have a very good season if we tightened up at the back.Also he mentioned what ive been saying for ages that he has his doubts about hertz scoring enough goals and whether kyle and elliot will be up to it.As for deek i think he likes his forwards to be strong defensively so can see where he is coming from.Also,in most of the scotland games we get much the minority of possession so we spend more time defending due to the fact that most teams are better than us.
Thought he talked a lot of sense but as he is paid by the sfa im sure the selection policy will be as before with just a wee bias towards the arabs thrown in.Im sure deeks reputation will always hamper him but wouldnt it be great to see a 25 yarder against the czechs by deeks.We can but dream.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2010, 08:38 AM

I won't be. The Scotland national team always interested me about as much as the Mongolian national team. With Levein in charge and the quality of the last few squads under both him and Burley it's probably of slightly less interest to me than the Mongolians now.

I've never really 'got' international football. The quality on the whole is garbage, not just Scotland but accross the board. I dislike players week in, week out and then suddenly they pull on a different coloured shirt and i'm supposed to support them. I supported Hibs because all my family are Hibs supporters and i chose to follow in their footsteps. With Scotland i don't see why i should support a team i can't relate to just because of where i was born. Maye it's just because i don't really have any strong nationalist or patriotic feelings and don't feel bound by the flag that flies over my head, i know a lot of people won't agree but thats how i feel.

.Sean.
17-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Couldn't agree more with Pretty Boy. I detest players like Hartley, Boyd, McGregor, Caldwell and Ferguson. That won't change just because they're wearing a Scotland jersey. I'm a Hibs fan, simple as that. Granted i'll go to the boozer for the Scotland games with my pals as it's usually good craic, and of course i'd rather they won than lost, but that's as far as my interest in the national side goes. I don't have any wish to stand side by side with huns, jambos etc at Hampden. I've actually never been to a Scotland match and doubt I ever will.

lEXO
17-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Dereks strengths are a great first touch,great passer,great shot with both feet.His delivery from set peices are fantastic, he can play on both flanks as well as through the middle.He has worked hard on his defensive play,and at least should be given a chance in a friendly.
I cant think of many players in the Scotland squad who have many of the attributes that deeks has apart from maybe Mcfadden.We keep talking about Scottish players not having the technique that foreign teams have.Maybe we should try and include some of our more skillfull players as well as the hard workers a lot of managers seem to like.He scores an average of 15 goals a season from wide left as well, so it,s not as if he does,nt have anything to offer the team.

patlowe
17-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I can understand the need for strong, defensively-minded players in the Scotland team but a player of Derek's ability should ALWAYS be in the squad. We are never going to achieve anything if we continue with this attitude that we can bully our way to major tournaments (ridiculous when you look at the state of our central defenders). Given that the majority of international games are tight and turn on moments of individual skill and set pieces (as shown by McFadden on several occasions), Deek has the potential to be an extremely dangerous weapon. I'd say the same for Maloney as well tbh.

Imagine it's 0-0 with the Czechs at Hampden with 20 minutes to go. I know who I'd like to see coming off the bench to give us something different. And it's not Chris Iwelumo.

Hibs90
17-08-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm pretty sure he's been calm and settled for a long time now.

silverhibee
17-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I've no problem with what Levein says whatsoever and neither should Riordan - If Levein wants him to be a harder worker before selecting him for Scotland then it is surely better that Riordan knows this and has the opportunity to rise to the challenge - while there has been an improvement he still doesn't do nearly enough compared to the top players IMO

While Riordan can get goals for Hibs even when we are playing rubbish I don't think Levein should be lambasted for not wanting Scotland to be rubbish in the first place. It's not just the tracking back - you don't get much width in the team with Riordan either.

The goals scored and conceded as a team is more relevant than the number scored by an individual player - who is to say that Scotland would score more goals with Riordan in the team. Did Celtic score more goals with Riordan in the team? And I'd like to hear what Strachan's motivation was for being anti-Riordan, him not being a Jambo and all.

Do you think he was anti- Riordan when he signed him for celtc.

johnrebus
17-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Don't go along with all this, 'he's changed, tracks back etc. etc.', so should now get picked.

For me, Derek Riordan should already have around 25 caps to his name. He has been one of the most skillful footballers and best finishers in the Scottish game for over five years now.

I do not know him personally, but couldn't care less about his character, he's a bloody footballer for Gods' sake not the cultural attache to Florence!

Craig Levein has shown himself up - again - for clearly what he is.

A bitter, twisted, obnoxious, self important Yam twat.

:grr:

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure he's been calm and settled for a long time now.

:agree:
Boyd and McGregor are stable people right enough, and the crab who he got down on bended knees to beg back is another. Perhaps Riordan should cause some trouble while away with the national team, then refuse to play for them while levein is in charge, perhaps that would endear him to the manager.:bitchy:

smurf
17-08-2010, 10:23 AM
And since when did Boyd improve on his defensive side of his game? His comments are absurd. Shameful from the national team manager and disrespectful towards player AND club.

jane_says
17-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I was actually in favour of Potter getting the job, thought he did well enough at United to merit it, especially as the other choices seemed to be Mark Mcghee and Mark Mcghee. However after seeing him on sportscene last night, it's clear the man is a total d**k and will never give deeks a place in his squads. Either he hasn't watched hibs at all over the last year or is just plain ignorant and can't see what's happening on the pitch.

As long as the likes of Kenneth Broadfoot and the Calamity Caldwells get in to the Scotland set up we've not got a chance in hell of progressing as a nation

--------
17-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Goodwillie will be in the Scotland set up before Riordan and he has done far more. I don't think Riordan has any criminal convictions, unless being cheeky to a bouncer is a felony. Christ the Scotland set-up with Mcgregor, Boyd et al is a veritable rogues gallery.

Exactly, Bryan. Derek has a far less 'unsavoury' reputation than McGregor or Goodwillie. levein is prejudiced against Hibs and Hibs players - end of.

There's plenty of evidence that Derek's working hard to improve himself as a player. He seems to be maturing as a person, too, but that and his family life are his business and no one else's, certainly not Potter's. The only question for Potter is whether Derek has been an effective and responsible professional footballer over the last season. I cannot imagine any credible reason to say that he hasn't been just that.

Once a speccy Hearts fanny, always a speccy Hearts fanny.

Levein always has been, and always will be, a grade A fud. He'll fail as Scotland boss, I guaruntee it.

Totally agree - but lay off the "speccy" stuff or all us four-eyes'll gang up and come and get you.... :grr:

I've just spent the last 20 minutes typing out a rant in another thread so no doubt this will get merged with mine shortly.

I was disgusted to hear those comments by Levein and I think he should be embarrassed by what he said.

Kris Boyd has never tracked back in his life and yet he's in the Scotland squad every single time, no questions asked. Why? Because he scores goals.

Derek Riordan, whilst not being quite as prolific as Boyd, also scores goals and, at the very least, should be picked for Scotland squads.

There's another reason why Boyd's acceptable and Derek isn't - Boyd's ex-Rangers and Derek plays for Hibs. This matters to morons like Potter and Nasty Airdrie Jambo. Notice that McGregor and McCulloch have been welcomed back into the fold - and Potter more or less went down on his knees to promise anything to Barry Ferguson top get him back. He'll probably try again now KT's crocked.

As long as Potter and NAJ have the running of the Scotland team, I really don't care what happens to them. And long may Potter maintain his attitude to Hibs and Hibs players - I'd really prefer he keeps his dirty Jambo paws off them. On the other hand, that's still pretty tough on players who deserve their chance ahead of some of the numpties Potter favours.

Steve-O
17-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I already hated Levein for cancelling the proposed tour of Australia and New Zealand but this takes the biscuit!

What a total erse considering the plebs he has chosen...same old same old.

Like others, I thought he would be decent but I feel we are destined for another couple of years of total gash at international level.

SalfordHibs
17-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Riordan should just stick his two fingers up at Potter, if he thinks players like Hartley are better than Deek the man hasn't a clue.

BryanV
17-08-2010, 10:48 AM
As well as hating Hibs, there is no media pressure to play Hibs players. Burley was consistently undermined by the media over the Hun three. Pat Stanton had it right when he said that there a number of good players who never played for Scotland but none of them played for the Old Firm.

JimBHibees
17-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Completely right. As someone said earlier Faddy is hardly an asset defensively either. Deek should be in the Scotland squad even to use as a sub if we need a goal. IMO he should have been in the squad for Sweden which would have given Deek a taste of involvement then explained what areas he could improve on face to face.

--------
17-08-2010, 10:55 AM
As well as hating Hibs, there is no media pressure to play Hibs players. Burley was consistently undermined by the media over the Hun three. Pat Stanton had it right when he said that there a number of good players who never played for Scotland but none of them played for the Old Firm.

:agree: Pat himself was a classic example - he played, but nowhere like as often as he should have. And when I think of some of the huddies that were preferred to him.... :grr:

Sloop, Shades, and Alan Gordon as well.

Derek Parlane of the Huns preferred to AG at centre-forward.... :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
17-08-2010, 10:55 AM

That is a great quote from God and completely spot on.

JimBHibees
17-08-2010, 10:57 AM
:agree: Pat himself was a classic example - he played, but nowhere like as often as he should have. And when I think of some of the huddies that were preferred to him.... :grr:

Sloop, Shades, and Alan Gordon as well.

Derek Parlane of the Huns preferred to AG at centre-forward.... :rolleyes:

Alex Edwards was another criminally ignored.

--------
17-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Alex Edwards was another criminally ignored.

Jim Cruikshank of Hearts (just to show I'm not a nasty prejudiced person like Potter.... :wink: )

truehibernian
17-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I really don't see what Levein has said that we as fans have not covered, debated, discussed and disagreed on. Derek is such a fine fine player when on form, motivated and up for it. The downside - when things are going away from the team, when his touch is not as it should be - the hands go up in the air. For me, if I was Scotland boss, I would be exerting pressure to see that Derek is played where he should be playing - up front (and alongside an industrious, gifted striker - such as Fletch !)

Derek and Fletcher up front would be an ideal partnership. You could even get away with having McFadden in this "libero" role, with the other midfielders being Fletcher (Darren) and Brown. That leaves finding a holding player /sweeper type midfielder. It's why Boyd and Naismith works (or Boyd and Miller/Novo)..............to be blunt, one is a lazy bar steward who could score from anywhere on the pitch and is a godsend for a team...........the other is the worker, the pain in the ass to defenders, who also chips in with goals. His use of the word "passenger" was very ill advised I will concede. For the perfect definition of that word I would cite Charlie Adam's performance for want of a better word. Pedestrian actually makes him sound quicker than he is.

silverhibee
17-08-2010, 11:14 AM

How would Riordan disrupt the Scotland dressing room, you say he needs to screw the nut and grow up, what like McGregor Boyd And Ferguson who Levin begged to come back in to the Scotland set up, yep they weren't disruptive in Scotlands last campaign and looked really grown up when giving the V-signs to the Scotland press, if these guys can get a second chance or be offered it, then i dont see why Riordan should not get into the squad.
Second bit, his unsavoury reputation, i can only presume you mean cause he has a nightclub ban that Levin is not picking him, no offence commited by Riordan not a crime what he is doing trying to have a night out, shame on you Deeks, but if you are currently banned from driving for persistent driving offences you walk in to the Scotland team, do yo agree, now i cant remember when the last time Derek Riordan was in trouble, if he ever was, but you must be talking about the past, so from the past Scotland have in there squad,a convicted drunk driver, players with convictions for assault, breach of the peace, i could go on but hopefully you get my point regarding this.
Once again unsavoury reputation, do you think it is right that McGregor gets a call up to the squad with his unsavoury reputation.
Levin is a toss pot of the highest order, and i hope Yogi was watching sportscene last night and heard Levins comments about Riordan, you would hope that Yogi is seeing a different player from what Levin was describing and maybe a wee chat to say otherwise.

Hibs On Tour
17-08-2010, 11:29 AM
with all due respect mate you are reacting as if he called deeks a passenger which he didnt. all he said was that the team couldnt afford any passengers. If anything i thought Levein praised him more than knock him. he obviously recognises the fact that deeks can score goals (which we all know he can) and thats a good thing. fair enough he is maybe showing his inexperience by saying deeks should improve a part of his game he has already worked on immensely. can only be a good thing for deek and hibs, if he wants to be in the squads he has to up his game even more. dont see how you can take negatives from someone wanting more from a hibs player when all folk seem to do on here is do nothing but berate guys like nishy, hogg and john rankin. we want more from them, levein wants more from deeks, get over it.

and for the record, i did disagree with the appointment of levein and dont think he's up to the job. but getting behind my national team the same way i do my club team im giving him the benefit of the doubt. even if he is a jambo ****. :cool2:

Did you listen to it? If he wasn't calling Deek a passenger then he wouldn't have mentioned him in the same context as saying that. Ever since he came back from Celtic he has worked his socks off for the team, tracking back yet still scoring more goals than ANY of his competitors for a starting slot up-front for Scotland with the exception of Boyd.

You *don't* win games purely by being 'professional' - there is one thing and one thing alone that WINS games ultimately and that is GOALS. Deek gives us a greater threat of that than any of Maloney, Naismith or Miller. That's not to say they're crap or shouldn't be in the squad but they certainly shouldn't be ahead of DR in the queue.

If you want to see [or rather continue to see] Scotland struggle against teams because we can't outscore them, then keep supporting Levein and his Miller-type run around all day like headless chickens approach. If you want to see Scotland progress and start winning games, we *have* to put goals into the team. That means permutations of Kris Boyd, Steven Fletcher and Derek Riordan out of the players we have.

Hibs On Tour
17-08-2010, 11:31 AM
And it's with attitudes like the above that will ensure Scotland will not progress as a nation in footballing terms. Look back to the times when we were a force to be reckoned with circa 1970's, plenty of 'mavericks' in the team then. If you can't/wont pick a player of natural talent that is a bit of a moaner over a player who tracks back but offers **** all else, we are truly stuffed.

Said it before and still think its true - George Best wouldn't get his game these days under most managers. Man-management is about getting the best out of everyone regardless of their differences, not amount making everyone the same...

Hibs On Tour
17-08-2010, 11:34 AM
As for deek i think he likes his forwards to be strong defensively so can see where he is coming from.

And that is why Levein ain't fit to be a manager. WTF is going on when the most important trait for a goalscoring striker is their defensive ability? The world truly has gone mad! :bitchy:

silverhibee
17-08-2010, 11:50 AM
And that is why Levein ain't fit to be a manager. WTF is going on when the most important trait for a goalscoring striker is their defensive ability? The world truly has gone mad! :bitchy:

Yep, Diego Forlan done okay in the world cup with his defensive duties,not, but his manager knew that by playing him his team would score goals and Forlan produced these goals.

truehibernian
17-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Usually agree with all your posts silver but I think you have chosen the wrong striker to cite as an example. One of the hardest working strikers in the WC was Forlan, in attack and defending from the front. He can play up top, he drops deep to get possession (time and time again in the WC he was a one man solo). He closes down and he has tremendous pace to close down defenders. I would say Derek would be simply ideal if he were to play alongside a player like him. If Stokes means what he says and wants to be more a team player, then having him and Deeks up top would have goals every single game. Derek is simply being played out of position IMHO. Forlan also had Suarez, a less industrious striker alongside. But he wasn't half bad at finding the net too.

IWasThere2016
17-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Silly words - from a wise man :agree:

Ed De Gramo
17-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Silly words - from a wise man :agree:

about as wise as a bag of *****e flying through the air.....

Harry Plopper :bye::bye::bye:

Pretty Boy
17-08-2010, 01:07 PM
about as wise as a bag of *****e flying through the air.....

Harry Plopper :bye::bye::bye:

:thumbsup: Love it.

lapsedhibee
17-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Jim Cruikshank of Hearts (just to show I'm not a nasty prejudiced person like Potter.... :wink: )

Believe Cruickshank did get half a dozen caps. Great keeper!

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2010, 01:12 PM
How would Riordan disrupt the Scotland dressing room, you say he needs to screw the nut and grow up, what like McGregor Boyd And Ferguson who Levin begged to come back in to the Scotland set up, yep they weren't disruptive in Scotlands last campaign and looked really grown up when giving the V-signs to the Scotland press, if these guys can get a second chance or be offered it, then i dont see why Riordan should not get into the squad.
Second bit, his unsavoury reputation, i can only presume you mean cause he has a nightclub ban that Levin is not picking him, no offence commited by Riordan not a crime what he is doing trying to have a night out, shame on you Deeks, but if you are currently banned from driving for persistent driving offences you walk in to the Scotland team, do yo agree, now i cant remember when the last time Derek Riordan was in trouble, if he ever was, but you must be talking about the past, so from the past Scotland have in there squad,a convicted drunk driver, players with convictions for assault, breach of the peace, i could go on but hopefully you get my point regarding this.
Once again unsavoury reputation, do you think it is right that McGregor gets a call up to the squad with his unsavoury reputation.
Levin is a toss pot of the highest order, and i hope Yogi was watching sportscene last night and heard Levins comments about Riordan, you would hope that Yogi is seeing a different player from what Levin was describing and maybe a wee chat to say otherwise.

:top marks:agree:

Greenblood70
17-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Have no interest whatsoever in the national team so couldn't care less what that jambo canute thinks of Deeks.

If we picked players with derek's natural ability rather than huddies like Clubfoot et all that would maybe change.

In the menatime I'm happy to see Hibs players as far away from the shambles that is the national set up as possible.

--------
17-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Believe Cruickshank did get half a dozen caps. Great keeper!

Aye, but he wisnae considered as good as clowns like Stewart Kennedy and Peter McCloy....

Now who on earth did they play for again? :rolleyes:

Oh yes - and then there was the time Jock Stein played Ron Yeats the Liverpool centre-half in the number 9 shirt against Italy ahead of Neil Martin....

Cameron1875
17-08-2010, 01:40 PM
If Levein had even bothered to watch the full 90 minutes on sunday he would have seen how much fitter, sharper Riordan is this season. But theres not a chance he would have.

He would rather be at ibrox on the saturday sitting with all the dignitries to watch players that in his head will already be picked purely because they play for rangers.

DCI Gene Hunt
17-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Have no interest whatsoever in the national team so couldn't care less what that jambo canute thinks of Deeks.

If we picked players with derek's natural ability rather than huddies like Clubfoot et all that would maybe change.

In the menatime I'm happy to see Hibs players as far away from the shambles that is the national set up as possible.

Shouldn't be saying this, but I agree with you fully.

Gene Genie

Hibby K
17-08-2010, 01:55 PM
By his comments on Sportscene Levein has effectively stated Riordan will never play for Scotland whilst he is in charge, which probably won't be very long with his current squad selections.
Had to laugh at 'Question Of Sport' on tv last week when none of the teams could identify Levein in the 'Identity Parade' round and the teams included ex-England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.
Craig Levein - total non-entity in more ways than one!

Sir David Gray
17-08-2010, 02:08 PM
That doesn't answer the question. You clearly hold a hatred for the Scottish national side/SFA but if we got to Euro 2012, you would not support them due to this hatred?

I don't hold a hatred for the national side, I am happy to see Scotland win and I was cheering as much as anybody when McFadden scored that wonder goal against France. I just don't really care when they lose and I certainly would never go out of my way to go and watch Scotland.

I tend to view international breaks as an inconvenience because it prevents me from going to watch Hibs on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon.

I just can't stand the SFA and I have no time for Craig Levein either, particularly after last night. The whole "boozegate" scandal just typifies what the SFA is like.

McGregor and Ferguson were supposed to have lifetime bans after their antics and yet, as soon as Levein takes over, all is forgiven and Levein was bending over backwards trying to get Ferguson to come back into contention.

The guy was the captain of the national side and he disgraced himself and let down his manager and team-mates not just once, but twice, all in the space of a few days. Yet, despite all that carry on, he was given a reprieve and was invited back into the fold. Why? Quite simply because of his Rangers connections. If he had played for anyone other than them or Celtic, he would have been gone for good and an example would have been made of him. No-one will ever convince me otherwise.

Yet someone like Derek Riordan, who scored 16 goals last season despite doing a lot more defensive work, can't get a look in because the national manager looks upon him as a passenger. :bitchy:

The whole set-up stinks and if Craig Levein fails as Scotland manager and ultimately that would mean Scotland failing as a team over the next couple of years, I can't honestly say that I would be too bothered.

We haven't qualified for a major competition since I was 10 anyway so another four or five years in the wilderness won't make much difference.

SaulGoodman
17-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I dont give a flying **** about Scotland while that speccy fannys in charge.

--------
17-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I dont give a flying **** about Scotland while that speccy fannys in charge.

OI! A bit less of the "speccy"!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grr:

SaulGoodman
17-08-2010, 02:34 PM
OI! A bit less of the "speccy"!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grr:

Apoligies. The're only speccy if the're fuds. You're no a fud :greengrin

--------
17-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Apoligies. The're only speccy if the're fuds. You're no a fud :greengrin

You're forgiven.

Obnoxious Jambo twonk Levein is anyway. :wink:

Jim44
17-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Unfortunately, Riordan will have to wait until October 2011 to stand any chance of selection by the then new Scotland manager. However it's highly likely that Potter will be sacked long before then so he shouldn'd give up hope. It's easy to say that, if he scores regularly, Potter will have to pick him. This is nonsense as he has implicitly said that Riordan will not be considered. Potter must rate as the worst Scottish manager for quite some time.

DCI Gene Hunt
17-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm, think that's a bit strong Jim44, Berti McVogts was rather worse than our current Jambo erse.

That said, a Yam he is, and a block he stands in the way of progress by continuing the old Scottish national team practice of picking crap fringe Hun and Smelltic players along with keech Yams, whilst ignoring other clubs' players who might help the national team's progress. :soapbox:

Not that I care anyway. Until we stop seeing the same old keech from Scotland (see above rant), Gene Genie will refuse to support his national team. Who'd support a load of pish anyway? Apart from Yams. :******:

Guv

hibsbollah
17-08-2010, 03:56 PM

He also suggested Riordan was a "passenger" - clearly hasn't seen many Hibs games in the last season as I think we'd all agree that Riordan's work rate has vastly improved and he is far from a passenger. :bitchy:

As you say, he clearly hasnt watched much of Riordan if thats his take on him. He's battling for every ball, more so than at any stage in his career:confused: A depressingly ignorant comment from our National coach, but hardly surprising:bitchy:

--------
17-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmm, think that's a bit strong Jim44, Berti McVogts was rather worse than our current Jambo erse.

That said, a Yam he is, and a block he stands in the way of progress by continuing the old Scottish national team practice of picking crap fringe Hun and Smelltic players along with keech Yams, whilst ignoring other clubs' players who might help the national team's progress. :soapbox:

Not that I care anyway. Until we stop seeing the same old keech from Scotland (see above rant), Gene Genie will refuse to support his national team. Who'd support a load of pish anyway? Apart from Yams. :******:

Guv

Potter hasn't really got started, mind - he could yet prove to be a really really incompetent Jambo prat.

Not that I would be PLEASED about it if he did.... :rolleyes:

Pete70
17-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Levein obviously has a grudge against Deeks. Has he scored against the mutants when Levein was in charge at the PBS by any chance? :dunno:

We all know Levein has to pander to the west coast media and pick as many old firm players or ex-players as he can. It's a pre-requisit of taking the job. Why else would the likes of Naismith, Broadfoot, Robson, Caldwell and others get selected. And don't even get me stared to Kenneth from DUtd

I would suggest that given Deeks goal scoring record and the improvement in his game over the past couple of seasons, he deserves a shot at international level. He couldn't really do anyworse than some that have played for Scotland recently.

I'd be gutted for Deek but delighted for Hibs if he never got picked again. Scotland are Sh!it and if they were playing in my back garden I wouldn't even open the curtains to watch them.

snooky
17-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Levein obviously has a grudge against Deeks. Has he scored against the mutants when Levein was in charge at the PBS by any chance? :dunno:

We all know Levein has to pander to the west coast media and pick as many old firm players or ex-players as he can. It's a pre-requisit of taking the job. Why else would the likes of Naismith, Broadfoot, Robson, Caldwell and others get selected. And don't even get me stared to Kenneth from DUtd

I would suggest that given Deeks goal scoring record and the improvement in his game over the past couple of seasons, he deserves a shot at international level. He couldn't really do anyworse than some that have played for Scotland recently.

I'd be gutted for Deek but delighted for Hibs if he never got picked again. Scotland are Sh!it and if they were playing in my back garden I wouldn't even open the curtains to watch them.

Too damn right!
The blind leading the blind, IMHO :greengrin

sixtwo
17-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Levein would rather go around chasing englishmen who don't want to play for us like andy carroll or englishmen who are not very good (like andy driver) than take a chance on a scotsman with a prolific strike rate in the spl.

The man is a fool. He will be found out when the competitive games begin. Anyone who plays Broadfoot, Berra, Kenneth and wallace in a national teams defence clearly has a lot to learn.

His arrogance will win him no friends and as soon as results go against him the tabloid press will be on his back.

He is a creepy wee man. He looks like the guy who was arrested in connection with the dissapearance of suzanne pilley. A horrible wee creepy weasel!

MJN1875
17-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Levein is nowt but a Hearts c***. He will just do the usual and pick the same garbage and play 1 up front even though none of our strikers can do that. I cant believe how terrible the formation and tactics were against Sweden. We should be playing 442, 433 or 451 with left and right midfielders giving plenty assistance to the striker. Id play,

Leveins a a***hole for what he said last night, we all no Riordan should be in that squad even on the bench and brought on. If he wants players to defend then try picking defenders that can do their jobs.

Mary Hinge
17-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Potter is plain and simply out of his depth ..... the cheap option :agree:

woody47
17-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Harry potter is a grade "A" to$$er. Always was, is and will be a jambo piece of ******. He sits there with a smug look on his face and its a face that only a mother would love. He sucks up to the suits in the weeg and tries to justify his existence every time he opens his erse to speak.
Absolutely detest this cretin.:grr:
The fact that he actually said on air that we can't carry passengers but plays guys like Mcfadyen! How often does he actually do anything in a game other than a two minute bit of magic or score the occasional goal.
FFS deek does more than that but this joke of a manager can't see it. Maybe its time he bought new ferking glasses.

Davy Mac
17-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Some motivator Levein is eh?

Aye terrific, well done you've probably just alienated a section of the Scottish support and one of the most gifted players in the league.

Hope Deeks tells him where to go.

AndyM_1875
18-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Some motivator Levein is eh?

Aye terrific, well done you've probably just alienated a section of the Scottish support and one of the most gifted players in the league.

Hope Deeks tells him where to go.

Yep, and I say that as a Scotland supporter and also as a fan of Derek Riordan.
Scotland cannot afford to ignore any striker who regularly hits 20 goals a season even in the SPL. We have 2 players who can pretty much conjour up a goal out of nothing, one is James McFadden, the other is Derek Riordan. Leaving him out is just madness.

FWIW I don't think CL will pick Deek for the upcoming internationals but he'll probably take him along to that stupid meaningless celtic nations crap in Dublin in February and May 2011.

I'll be at the 2 games against Leichtenstein and Spain and I won't miss a trick to point out to the fans nearby me why Riordan should be in the squad ahead of planks of wood like Iwelumo.

Bad Martini
18-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Stevie Wonder could see the problems with Scotland internationally (and I AM one of the mugs who watches every game til the end, even when we get ****ed as per is the norm).

The problems are thus;

We have fannies being played in the wrong place at the wrong time
Including fannies who CANNY get a game for their club...
We have a bias towards the glesgae teams even when their players are ***** or not in form...
...and finally, those who ARE playing well, outwith the clique, are overlooked.

It. Is. As. Simple. As. That.

Bassas. Riordan was rightly not picked when he was not in form, at celtc and doing nothing. The time BEFORE he went, he was rattling in goals for fun. Now he's come back he's STILL rattling in goals, setting up more than ever before (see Sunday v Motherwell) AND tracking back and ***** defending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask unto thee Sir Harry Potter Yamfacearswits........WHAT DO YOU WANT???? He's no gonny turn roond and beg ye ya twat. Rather than swallowing your pride and asking the tossers who didny WANT to play for Scotland to come back, why no include some of our form players??? Deek should walk into that team....over those bawbags every day of the week.

Nae respect. Nae self respect. Nae brains.

Ultimately why, we are ****ingwell doomed forever more with tossers like THAT in charge.

END****INGOF. :grr:

johnrebus
18-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Stevie Wonder could see the problems with Scotland internationally (and I AM one of the mugs who watches every game til the end, even when we get ****ed as per is the norm).

The problems are thus;

We have a bias towards the glesgae teams even when their players are ***** or not in form...

Bassas. Riordan was rightly not picked when he was not in form, at celtc and doing nothing. The time BEFORE he went, he was rattling in goals for fun. Now he's come back he's STILL rattling in goals, setting up more than ever before (see Sunday v Motherwell) AND tracking back and ***** defending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask unto thee Sir Harry Potter Yamfacearswits........WHAT DO YOU WANT???? He's no gonny turn roond and beg ye ya twat. Rather than swallowing your pride and asking the tossers who didny WANT to play for Scotland to come back, why no include some of our form players??? Deek should walk into that team....over those bawbags every day of the week.

Ultimately why, we are ****ingwell doomed forever more with tossers like THAT in charge.

:top marks

Sums it up perfectly.

--------
18-08-2010, 12:51 PM

The problems are thus;

:top marks The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Can't add a thing. :agree:

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Bad Martini :applause:

Until the incestual cronyism associated with the National squad is removed Scotland will always be pish.

G

HibeEC
18-08-2010, 12:59 PM

How come he picks Dork Breadfeet then?

DCI Gene Hunt
18-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Because he plays for the smelly Weegies, and he's in the clique, that's why the huddy gets a game.

G

HibeEC
18-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Because he plays for the smelly Weegies, and he's in the clique, that's why the huddy gets a game.

G

You know its true!!!:grr:

hibernator
18-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Aye , McFaddens a work horse right enough !

Holmesdale Hibs
18-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree with the majority of people on this thread. Riordan should definitely be in the squad and Levein is a muppit for not picking him.

sauzee1966
18-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Why are well so shocked at this. The man is a total Plum.....same as all Scotland Managers if you ask me. How do you win games...score goals ....Deek can do that consistantly. Also look at the weekend...3 assists!!! Are you listening Mr Magoo??

If he moves to say.........Doncaster or Bournmouth and scores a goal...he will get the caps he deserves.

We are a laughing stock the way the SFA do things!!
Rant Over:thumbsup::grr:

clerriehibs
18-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Never hear of a plodding centre-half, of which scotland have a few and are being managed by one, being asked to broaden his game by doing more attacking ... why pick on the flair players? :rolleyes:

basil fawlty
19-08-2010, 12:08 PM

spot on 500

Jim44
19-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Wrong. Given the chance, Levein will do exactly this with Boyd.