PDA

View Full Version : Match Ratings....!! Ala The Sun

stokesmessiah
16-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I just picked up a copy of the Sun and had a quick read of the match report from yesterday.

However, what gob smacked me was the match ratings!!!

Hogg - 7
Bamba - 5

Do they just pick these numbers out a hat???

Sprouleflyer
16-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I just picked up a copy of the Sun and had a quick read of the match report from yesterday.

However, what gob smacked me was the match ratings!!!

Hogg - 7
Bamba - 5

Do they just pick these numbers out a hat???

My guess would be the Sun Reporter would not of known who was who. Edinburgh is 40 miles too far east for them to be bothered about.

Aldo
16-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Couldnt believe it myself..

For me anyway...only watching on TV....

Bamba, Stokes Miller and Riorden were excellent for us.

Also thought McBride had a good game...

Hogg was caught ball watching time and time again. Couple of good tackles but not Captain material IMHO.

PeterboroHibee
16-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Listening to football podcasts who are done by actual journalists, they say that the player ratings are the last thing they think about, which often explains some of the stupid values they put down.

allezsauzee
16-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I dont think i would have given 7 to any defender on the park yesterday. That said i would say Bamba was probably the best on view and Hogg the worst.

Hibi
16-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm going to get my tin hat looked out here as I know I'm going against the grain a little, but I don't feel Bamba has been any better than Hogg. Physically he is good as he's stronger and faster than most, but I wouldn't say he is playing better. If I remember correctly it was his man that got away from him to score on Sunday and he later lost him again only for the striker to miss his shot. I was at Blackpool and seem to recall bamba giving away the ball and then not defending as we lost the goal there.

Now I'm not saying that Hogg is brilliant just feel that he seems to be coming in for some unjust criticism. We aren't looking too strong at the back but we haven't done since Jones left IMO and I remember the abuse he used to get.

PeeJay
16-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Couldnt believe it myself..

For me anyway...only watching on TV....

Bamba, Stokes Miller and Riorden were excellent for us.

Also thought McBride had a good game...

Hogg was caught ball watching time and time again. Couple of good tackles but not Captain material IMHO.

I personally don't think Bamba really had such a great game. Hogg takes a lot of stick on this site, but Bamba seems beyond criticism for some - even though he was marking (sic) the Motherwell player for the first goal, people still think he was excellent? He made several passes to no-one, was often badly positioned, gave away needless fouls, got needlessly booked, gave away possession - he also did some good things of course but excellent seems a wee bit over the top?

hibsbollah
16-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I heard Pat Nevin on FiveLive a while back, who said he knew for a fact a lot of the ratings are written by guesswork by those not at the game. There just isnt time to file your story by a modern 5.30pm deadline and write players ratings as well.

stokesmessiah
16-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm going to get my tin hat looked out here as I know I'm going against the grain a little, but I don't feel Bamba has been any better than Hogg. Physically he is good as he's stronger and faster than most, but I wouldn't say he is playing better. If I remember correctly it was his man that got away from him to score on Sunday and he later lost him again only for the striker to miss his shot. I was at Blackpool and seem to recall bamba giving away the ball and then not defending as we lost the goal there.

Now I'm not saying that Hogg is brilliant just feel that he seems to be coming in for some unjust criticism. We aren't looking too strong at the back but we haven't done since Jones left IMO and I remember the abuse he used to get.

Im not in the Hogg bashing camp as i would rather just support whoever is wearing our coveted green and white (although Nish is starting to push the boundaries of what is acceptable). However, i thought for sure yesterday that Bamba played a lot better than Hogg. Hughes himself admitted he pulled Hogg to the side and said if another ball goes over your head then your off !!!

Houchy
16-08-2010, 12:12 PM
What did they give Nish:devil::duck::stirrer:

allezsauzee
16-08-2010, 12:13 PM

In general I agree with that. Hogg is normally a better defender than Bamba, I felt he was very poor yesterday though.

stokesmessiah
16-08-2010, 12:16 PM
What did they give Nish:devil::duck::stirrer:

10 - They said he was Motherwells best player on the pitch :greengrin

Houchy
16-08-2010, 12:20 PM
10 - They said he was Motherwells best player on the pitch :greengrin

:tsk tsk:

Now, now, that doesn't get anyone anywhere don't you know:tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 12:32 PM
In general I agree with that. Hogg is normally a better defender than Bamba, I felt he was very poor yesterday though.

Tell me this is a WHHOOOSH moment?:confused:

DCI Gene Hunt
16-08-2010, 02:01 PM
You actually read The SUN?

You actually expect anything in that grotty right-wing Murdoch rag to be factual or correct in any way?

Silly boy. :slipper:

The only thing The Spun is half decent for is wrapping pie suppers in.

Guv.