PDA

View Full Version : Uspga

Sylar
15-08-2010, 11:21 PM
What a disgraceful outcome to the final round of the PGA.

Johnson should never be penalised for grounding his club in that - if it's designated a bunker, why the hell are fans allowed to stand in it?!

NEVER a bunker and a rediculous decision by the USPGA.

IWasThere2016
15-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Clubhouse rule it is a bunker - same for all and he's oot!

Sylar
15-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Johnson penalised with a 2 stroke penalty and dismissed from the play-off.

Absolute farce!

No arguments he grounded his clubs, and the rules state you cannot ground your club in the hazard, but if that's deemed a bunker, fans should NOT be standing in it and it should be raked, with clearly defined boundaries!

Mental decision and no surprise that the Whistling Straits fans are booing!

Houchy
15-08-2010, 11:31 PM
What a disgraceful outcome to the final round of the PGA.

Johnson should never be penalised for grounding his club in that - if it's designated a bunker, why the hell are fans allowed to stand in it?!

NEVER a bunker and a rediculous decision by the USPGA.

totally agree 100%. absolute farcical decision. He should tell the USPGA to ram their tour up their arse. USPGA are an absolute disgrace.

Yes, I'd love to see a European win it but not like this.

Ridiculous.

It was like Hannibal had been through that bunker with his ****ing elephants!!!!

If it's a bunker, get these fat spectators the hell out of it. They wouldn't be allowed to stand on the green!!!!

The USPGA have lost all respect as far as I'm concerned.

Hank Schrader
15-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Rules are rules but for goodness sake surely a bunker isn't a bunker if spectators are allowed to trample through them.

Gutted for Johnson, threw away the US Open and now this. Hopefully his day will come, hes too good not to win a major.

IWasThere2016
15-08-2010, 11:34 PM
He was warned - as were all others - repeatedly. Heat of the moment and he's made a mistake .. sad but that's the rules, and he has accepted the judgement.

Hainan Hibs
15-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Maybe it was for the best he missed that last putt, imagine if he had made it, celebrated, and then been told he wasn't even making the play off!

IWasThere2016
15-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Mon the Kaymer!

Houchy
15-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Playing devils advocate here but what actually defines a bunker over a sand filled divot? Seriously, I'm just asking the question. But on a links course, if someone takes a divot then people walk on it, land in it, make it larger and that carries on over the years then it erodes to a yard or over, is that then a bunker or still a divot? I know it's not relevant here as this "bunker" was about 2-3 foot deep but a bunker is not defined by size or whether or not a hole has sand in it.

JE89
15-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Absolute farce!

No arguments he grounded his clubs, and the rules state you cannot ground your club in the hazard, but if that's deemed a bunker, fans should NOT be standing in it and it should be raked, with clearly defined boundaries!

:agree:

Next the punters will be allowed on the greens. Real shame for Johnson

JE89
15-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Watson hits the water. Surely over now?

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Houchy - there's officials to ask if in doubt. Feel for the guy but imagine the outcry if he won!

Bubba's now gone for a bath on 3rd play-off and Kaymer in the driving seat ..

Hank Schrader
16-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Watson hits the water. Surely over now?

Adrenaline rush. Kaymers to lose now.

Would be great going into the Ryder Cup with the two toughest US Majors in European hands.

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Superb play from Kaymer into 18 :agree:

Hank Schrader
16-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Superb play from Kaymer into 18 :agree:

:agree: Fantastic shot

JE89
16-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Adrenaline rush. Kaymers to lose now.

Would be great going into the Ryder Cup with the two toughest US Majors in European hands.

:agree:

My mate tells me Kaymers caddy is Scottish. May be a good day for Scots sportsman today :greengrin

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Kaymer's caddy is a Scot - Craig Connelly

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:07 AM
He's a Jonty look-a-likey :greengrin

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Goodnight Bubba .. Kaymer has it now.

Hank Schrader
16-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Hope this is the start of things to come. Harrington first European to win USPGA in decades, McDowell wins Europes first US Open since Jacklin in 1970 and now Kaymer has his first major in the USPGA.

Well done Martin!

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Great viewing - well done Kaymer! :agree:

Can see him doing that again too! :agree:

hibsboy90
16-08-2010, 12:34 AM
That bunker shot was in had the flag been removed. But as they say, keep it in downhill, remove uphill. Didn't want Bubba to win anyhow.

As for Dustin Johnston's scenario, as TQM says, its a local rule, thousands of 'bunkers' all around the course, studios, tents, granstands etc are all built in them. No professional is expected to reasonably play it into these bunkers. Even if we said that we should assume some players will hit into these, how far away would the crowd have to be.

They are not your classical notion of a bunker, a defined sand filled hole of any sort of size. But, they are still defined as a bunker for this course.

Jevitt
Next the punters will be allowed on the greens. Real shame for Johnson

Not really, every player goes on the green, that area Johnston was in isn't hit that regularly. The USPGA knows the nature of the course, and stresses to players that they are bunkers.

IMO the real tragedy is no rules official made sure he was aware that it was a 'bunker'. 72nd hole of a major, the leader, and no-one was there to tell him. Yet when Bubba was in the water, theofficials were falling over themselves to explain the possible options.

Should golfers be prevented from breaking the rules, or have them applied after the fact? (i.e. should the pro know the full rulebook)

As an aside, how small was the crowd when it came to Kaymer lifting the trophy?

hibeesliam94
16-08-2010, 12:50 AM
why did they have to wait until he'd finished the hole to tell him he'd been penalised?
He thought he had a ten footer to win the tournament when the officias already knew it meant nothing!

BTW what does the 2 shot penalty mean for his Ryder Cup qualification?

JE89
16-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Not really, every player goes on the green, that area Johnston was in isn't hit that regularly. The USPGA knows the nature of the course, and stresses to players that they are bunkers.

As an aside, how small was the crowd when it came to Kaymer lifting the trophy?

I was talking tongue in cheek.

Probably cause Americans are arrogant and don't like seeing a European win it

Golden Bear
16-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I felt sorry for Dustin Johnston but I dare say "rules are rules" and by all accounts the USPGA did everything in their power to ensure that the players were fully aware of the unusual local circumstances pertaining to Whistling Straits.

The "bunker" in question looked no more than an eroded bit of ground to me and it's a pity that the accompanying official didn't have a discreet wee word with Dustin prior to him addressing the ball.

The incident certainly provided a major talking point and he did very well to compose himself and allow David Feherty to interview him afterwards. I can think of a few players who would have conducted themselves otherwise!

It was an exciting finish to the last Major of the season, in what I think, was a pretty disappointing season as far as the overall TV coverage was concerned.

It remains to be seen what the Ryder Cup will throw up ------------- but Wales in October must be something of a gamble right away!