PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan

500miles
15-08-2010, 10:05 PM
.......is becoming a more and more complete footballer, and growing into a proper left midfielder with massive goalscoring potential.

NOW we can talk about him seriously becoming one of our best players of recent times.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2010, 10:08 PM
.......is becoming a more and more complete footballer, and growing into a proper left midfielder with massive goalscoring potential.

NOW we can talk about him seriously becoming one of our best players of recent times.

:top marks

Where have you been 500 :confused: :greengrin

Derek Riordan :not worth:flag:

500miles
15-08-2010, 10:24 PM
:top marks

Where have you been 500 :confused: :greengrin

Derek Riordan :not worth:flag:

Derek Riordan has never been a complete player. As someone who is incredibly talented, I have to say, I have always been critical of him - there is no way he would have failed at Celtic had he not wasteful of such talents.

However, Maribor, Blackpool and tonight show real signs that he is fulfulling that wasted potential. He has the tools to be a real goalscorer at left mid. 20 goals a season forwards aren't readily available, but 15 plus a season - well within Riordan's capabilities - from left midfield are a real rarity. That's why he's a left mid - because he can do that, and because, as he is now showing, he has the other tools to be comfortable in the other aspects of that position.

Archie70
15-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Just watched the full game and thought he was absolutely immense. Everything we did came through him. How anyone can question his attitude is beyond me. He never stopped from start to finish, natural ability and a footballing brain that's streets ahead of most others. He is a natural. Rarely injured or suspended (touch wood). Get him signed up to see out his career. Dare I say it I'd even make him captain. Remember - with great power comes great reponsibilty.Who said that- Spidermans uncle and if it's good enough for him its good enough for me! But then I'm biased!

Riordans Boots
15-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Derek Riordan has never been a complete player. As someone who is incredibly talented, I have to say, I have always been critical of him - there is no way he would have failed at Celtic had he not wasteful of such talents.

However, Maribor, Blackpool and tonight show real signs that he is fulfulling that wasted potential. He has the tools to be a real goalscorer at left mid. 20 goals a season forwards aren't readily available, but 15 plus a season - well within Riordan's capabilities - from left midfield are a real rarity. That's why he's a left mid - because he can do that, and because, as he is now showing, he has the other tools to be comfortable in the other aspects of that position.

What part of :top marks did you not get :Ummm:

Cabbage East
15-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Still not good enough for Scotland though, apparently.

Clearly he's not in the same league as Charlie Adam or Kenny Miller.

FranckSuzy
15-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Just watched the full game and thought he was absolutely immense. Everything we did came through him. How anyone can question his attitude is beyond me. He never stopped from start to finish, natural ability and a footballing brain that's streets ahead of most others. He is a natural. Rarely injured or suspended (touch wood). Get him signed up to see out his career. Dare I say it I'd even make him captain. Remember - with great power comes great reponsibilty.Who said that- Spidermans uncle and if it's good enough for him its good enough for me! But then I'm biased!

:faf: Fair do's :thumbsup:

DH1875
15-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Should be the first name on the team sheet every week and the sooner he get's the new contract offer the better. Anyone now much is he currently on and what he could be offered. I heard Miller and Stokes were on about £5k so would think he has to be offered at least the same.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2010, 10:51 PM
:faf: Fair do's :thumbsup:

:tee hee: Am with you here S :agree::thumbsup:

Jim44
15-08-2010, 11:06 PM
He was the player interviewed at the end of the match which is a break from tradition. Is this a sign that he is becoming more mature and relaxed with the media?:dunno:

Ryan91
15-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I know this has been said by a few other members of the board, but perhaps becoming a father during the close season has made him realise the sort of responsibilities he should be taking on now not just at home but also on the park, I always though when Riordan came back it was something to please the fans and see him in a Hibs shirt once again, but he's come on leaps and bounds since he came back to the club, he used to be a persister moaner, he still moans, everyone has the right to do that, but he's far more involved in the play now, coming from the left seems to suit him better, but he shows his still capable when played up front, that is the sort of player he should have become far earlier in his career. I'm also appalled that Riordan is consistently missed for the Scotland team, he is probably the best centre forward in Scotland at the moment, and unlike Miller and Boyd, he's not just there to score goals, but the way that Specky Four Eyes Levein plays his football doesn't fit Deeks well, so it's best if he isn't in the team.