PDA

View Full Version : Credit to Yogi?

Monts
15-08-2010, 08:04 PM
By most accounts, we seemed to play too narrow and too obvious in the first half.

In the second half, we used width and pace and collected the win.

(correct me if im wrong, as obviously I wasnt there)

So does that mean Hughes deserves some credit for changing tactics, and changing the game? He has his fair share of critics on here with regards to tactics. But is this a time for praise?

Riordans Boots
15-08-2010, 08:07 PM
By most accounts, we seemed to play too narrow and too obvious in the first half.

So does that mean Hughes deserves some credit for changing tactics, and changing the game? He has his fair share of critics on here with regards to tactics. But is this a time for praise?

Absolutely bernz :agree: and :top marks fae me tae JH :thumbsup:

lucky
15-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Yes indeed he does. Hopefully he will have seen the problem areas and alter the starting line up for next week

ronaldo7
15-08-2010, 08:15 PM
And his subs were spot on too:top marks

Bob1875
15-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Credit? To Yogi?

Youve got the wrong site mate, move along...

Well done Yogi and the boys!

Gmack7
15-08-2010, 08:16 PM
just by putting stephens on and trying to shut the back door was a good move tacticly:thumbsup:from me

ekhibee
15-08-2010, 08:23 PM

It's taken him a whole season to do it, but yes.

down-the-slope
15-08-2010, 08:41 PM
progress it is...and there seems to be a team spirit and work ethic thats improving.....As Yogi would say 'still plenty work to do'.....but 3 points at Well us coming from behind for a change is none too shabby:agree:

pentlando
15-08-2010, 08:43 PM
The change to 3-5-2 was inspired, a largely untried system by us but all our defenders suddenly became world class!! Don't think they got past our 18 yard line in the last 10 mins. Plus spoony's energy helped us get out occassionally. I actually think motherwell put far too much into the first half, hence why they outran us, but then they paid for that later!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-08-2010, 08:54 PM
The change to 3-5-2 was inspired, a largely untried system by us but all our defenders suddenly became world class!! Don't think they got past our 18 yard line in the last 10 mins. Plus spoony's energy helped us get out occassionally. I actually think motherwell put far too much into the first half, hence why they outran us, but then they paid for that later!

:agree:

And agree regarding them running out of steam, said to my buddy at half time that I couldn't see them keeping that up. They dealt with us in the first half, looked more up for it and more energetic, but they did tire 2nd half.

Mind you so did Stokes, put in a very good shift, but looked lke a burst couch with 10 mins left :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
15-08-2010, 08:55 PM
yep he turned it round so if he gets the flak when it goes wrong then he gets the credit when it goes right.

Still lots to be done though, and if we can't call for his head after one game, by the same token one win doesn't mean everything is rosy in the garden either!

matty_f
15-08-2010, 10:59 PM
yep he turned it round so if he gets the flak when it goes wrong then he gets the credit when it goes right.

Still lots to be done though, and if we can't call for his head after one game, by the same token one win doesn't mean everything is rosy in the garden either!

Amazing though, that a thread on Yogi where we've lost would run to several pages, while this one gets just a handful of responses.

Well done Yogi - you got it right today.:thumbsup:

aussie_hibee
16-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Fantastic move bringing stephens on. Hogg was getting bullied and stephens stopped that allowing Hogg to sweep and that stopped the balls dropping in behind. Personally thought it looked more like a 5-4-1 than a 3-5-2. Anyway it's irrelevant as it worked and we managed to defend deep and under pressure which is great to see.

EasterRoad4Ever
16-08-2010, 05:46 AM

At 3-2 he brought on Stevens and took off Nish in an obvious attempt to protect what we had - maybe a wee lesson from the 6-6 game. And it worked well, so yes some credit to Hughes for making this change. Spoony was a great sub as well.

oneone73
16-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Fantastic move bringing stephens on. Hogg was getting bullied and stephens stopped that allowing Hogg to sweep and that stopped the balls dropping in behind. Personally thought it looked more like a 5-4-1 than a 3-5-2. Anyway it's irrelevant as it worked and we managed to defend deep and under pressure which is great to see.

That's the way I saw it too, well done Yogi for that one. At Fir Park last time, he took Deeks off. This time, he kept him on, causing Motherwell endless worry. Shows he has learned at least one valuable lesson.

Big Frank
16-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Amazing though, that a thread on Yogi where we've lost would run to several pages, while this one gets just a handful of responses.

Well done Yogi - you got it right today.:thumbsup:

Its not amazing at all really. Yogi did his job yesterday. He did, for a change, make subs at the right time. The majority of times in the last year this has not really been the case.

Why do you think he deserves a multimpage thread, for doing what he should be:confused:

Well done Yogi, Rice and Evans, and well done Hibernian.

erskine-hibby
16-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I have been a critic of JH for a while, so I must say what he did at half time made a huge difference, so well done.
We could have easily, though, have been dead and buried by half time. So next time, against rangers, I would like to see us start better.
It seems like a step in the right direction so, hopefully, we can keep it up.

ahibby
16-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Ofcourse we didn't have Stephens in the 6-6 game but at 6-2 or 6-3 Yogi did similar by taking off a midfield player and putting on a defender, it didn't work. So with the players he has now maybe he will have more success. I hope so and yes I think he deserves the credit for this win which last week i thought would be a draw because of Zemama missing.

matty_f
16-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Its not amazing at all really. Yogi did his job yesterday. He did, for a change, make subs at the right time. The majority of times in the last year this has not really been the case.

Why do you think he deserves a multimpage thread, for doing what he should be:confused:

Well done Yogi, Rice and Evans, and well done Hibernian.

Because I think that the folk who are quick to criticise should be as quick to praise.

lyonhibs
16-08-2010, 08:17 AM

The thing is, that we have played too narrow and one-dimensionally for a matter of months now. Consistently. Why Yogi doesn't start in a more traditional 4-4-2, when the 2nd half, especially after Wotherspoon came on, bears testament to how much better we are in that formation is absolutely baffling.

Is he just doing it to shred our nerves or keep the "drama" of being a Hibby alive??
Either way, I wish he'd just accept the weight of evidence and start with a 4-4-2, our 2 "20 goal a season strikers" up top and Wotherspoon on the right (left if De Graaf keeps his place)

What he did get right was to hook Nish and bring on Stephens.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 08:37 AM
The thing is, that we have played too narrow and one-dimensionally for a matter of months now. Consistently. Why Yogi doesn't start in a more traditional 4-4-2, when the 2nd half, especially after Wotherspoon came on, bears testament to how much better we are in that formation is absolutely baffling.

Is he just doing it to shred our nerves or keep the "drama" of being a Hibby alive??
Either way, I wish he'd just accept the weight of evidence and start with a 4-4-2, our 2 "20 goal a season strikers" up top and Wotherspoon on the right (left if De Graaf keeps his place)

What he did get right was to hook Nish and bring on Stephens.

We did score our 3 goals yesterday playing this too narrow formation as you say. So i'd say it worked well yesterday. :confused:

hibbysam
16-08-2010, 09:12 AM
We did score our 3 goals yesterday playing this too narrow formation as you say. So i'd say it worked well yesterday. :confused:

no we scored one against the run of play from a free kick, the other two were after we changed to 442 and had liam miller pushed up the park:agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 09:29 AM
no we scored one against the run of play from a free kick, the other two were after we changed to 442 and had liam miller pushed up the park:agree:

Miller was pushing on in the 1st half too. The system was exactly the same all game until the substitutes came on.

cockneymike
16-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Miller was pushing on in the 1st half too. The system was exactly the same all game until the substitutes came on.

The system ie formation may have been the same but the way we were playing changed. Listen to his interview on hibs tv, Yogi said he asked the boys to go more direct - 'not really the Hibs way, but what I thought was required.' Or words to that effect.

I also would suggest that Miller hardly had any possession in the motherwell territory in the 1st half, but got loads in the 2nd. So he may have been pushing up in the 1st half, but it was to very limited effect.

Either way it did make a big difference as we were far better in the 2nd half than in the 1st and Yogi, and the players deserve credit for that.

Beefster
16-08-2010, 09:39 AM
There's no doubt that Hughes made the right subs yesterday and that the team played better in the second half.

In work, folk get told when they muck up and praise when they do something out of the ordinary. For the day-to-day 'doing your job', very few folk will get praised for each right decision they make.

I didn't criticise Hughes the first game we lost on the run or the first time he didn't change the team to cope with what was happening on the park. Similarly, I won't lavish him with praise for doing the right thing once. If and when he's shown that he can make the right decisions over a period, I'll be at the front of the queue for hailing him though.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 09:46 AM
The system ie formation may have been the same but the way we were playing changed. Listen to his interview on hibs tv, Yogi said he asked the boys to go more direct - 'not really the Hibs way, but what I thought was required.' Or words to that effect.

I also would suggest that Miller hardly had any possession in the motherwell territory in the 1st half, but got loads in the 2nd. So he may have been pushing up in the 1st half, but it was to very limited effect.

Either way it did make a big difference as we were far better in the 2nd half than in the 1st and Yogi, and the players deserve credit for that.

Motherwell pressed and harried us very well in the first half, so of course it was not so obvious about miller getting forward, but they were never going to be able to keep that up all game. We matched there enthusiasm, and when they tired, our better players were able to take control and push further forward. Its something i think we will see a lot of this season.

matty_f
16-08-2010, 09:52 AM
There's no doubt that Hughes made the right subs yesterday and that the team played better in the second half.

In work, folk get told when they muck up and praise when they do something out of the ordinary. For the day-to-day 'doing your job', very few folk will get praised for each right decision they make.

I didn't criticise Hughes the first game we lost on the run or the first time he didn't change the team to cope with what was happening on the park. Similarly, I won't lavish him with praise for doing the right thing once. If and when he's shown that he can make the right decisions over a period, I'll be at the front of the queue for hailing him though.

Don't think it's fair to make a comparison between getting praise at work, and giving praise/criticism to a football managers. For a start, how many jobs have forums like this where somebody's performance is dissected and critiqued to the nth degree?

I also don't think anyone was looking for people to lavish praise on the manager for getting the win, however an acknowledgement that he positively influenced the outcome of the game from those that are vociferous in their opinions when we lose wouldn't be amiss.

cockneymike
16-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Motherwell pressed and harried us very well in the first half, so of course it was not so obvious about miller getting forward, but they were never going to be able to keep that up all game. We matched there enthusiasm, and when they tired, our better players were able to take control and push further forward. Its something i think we will see a lot of this season.

We've seen a lot of teams press and harry us in the last few years, and more often than not it's been our downfall; as we've been unable to cope with it, much as happened in the first half.

Therefore I hope you're right and that Yogi has figured out how to turn us from being a team that collapses when we don't have time on the ball, to one that can change and can win. It's yet to be seen on a consistent basis, although yesterday showed we can do it when we want to, and I'm certainly more optimistic now than after the Maribor games!

cockneymike
16-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't think it's fair to make a comparison between getting praise at work, and giving praise/criticism to a football managers. For a start, how many jobs have forums like this where somebody's performance is dissected and critiqued to the nth degree?

I also don't think anyone was looking for people to lavish praise on the manager for getting the win, however an acknowledgement that he positively influenced the outcome of the game from those that are vociferous in their opinions when we lose wouldn't be amiss.

richard_pitts
16-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I have always thought that Miller's best position is behind the front two, and with Riordan and Stokes in front, the movement and guile would be unbeatable. I have thought some of the criticism was OTT but equally I don't want to go OTT here. However, the positive thing here is that he saw it wasn't working and changed it, which I have not seen him do before. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 10:03 AM
We've seen a lot of teams press and harry us in the last few years, and more often than not it's been our downfall; as we've been unable to cope with it, much as happened in the first half.

Therefore I hope you're right and that Yogi has figured out how to turn us from being a team that collapses when we don't have time on the ball, to one that can change and can win. It's yet to be seen on a consistent basis, although yesterday showed we can do it when we want to, and I'm certainly more optimistic now than after the Maribor games!

I think we are a couple of players away from a very good side. Again the manager has made us stronger, a new right back with McCann coming back in January makes that side better. Stephens i think/hope will be partnering Bamba very soon. :pray: De Graff i'm not sure about yet, but i dont think we are finished yet with signings. Things are not as bad as some would like us to think, and we are on the right track. I expect us to be in there fighting for that European place again, and thats progress in my book.

MussiHibee
16-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Yogi got his subs spot on at the end. Defend what lead we had...

but...

IMO he should have changed the system before half time. we rode our luck in the first half and could have been a couple down..hanlon was getting tore a new behind, hogg all over the place again...hart caught out a few times..

Yogi should have changed the tactics and formation earlier once he knew it was'nt working. Thankfully we got the goal before half time and helped us settle down after the break.

anyway football is a funny game..we won! delighted!

GGTTH

mim
16-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Not knocking Motherwell, but with better strikers they would have been 3 up at halftime. I shudder to think what the outcome of this game would have been if Riordan had been wearing claret and amber.

Motherwell played the right way and will beat most teams at Fir Park, so this was a terrific result, but let's not carried away.

Yogi started with the wrong formation/tactics again and gave control of the game to Motherwell.

Whatever he said at half time seemed to have a massive effect. I suspect he told them 'Let's leave the Dutch football to next week and get the ball to Riordan and Stokes quicker'.

Well, Hurrah. :rolleyes:

Yogi certainly did the right thing in hooking Nish for an extra defender at 2-3, but I wonder why we didn't start with the line-up we finished with.

Fot the love of Stanton, let's play our best players in the right positions and formation, until it's shown not to work.

...and let's get Riordan signed for the next few years, please. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Not knocking Motherwell, but with better strikers they would have been 3 up at halftime. I shudder to think what the outcome of this game would have been if Riordan had been wearing claret and amber.

Motherwell played the right way and will beat most teams at Fir Park, so this was a terrific result, but let's not carried away.

Yogi started with the wrong formation/tactics again and gave control of the game to Motherwell.

Whatever he said at half time seemed to have a massive effect. I suspect he told them 'Let's leave the Dutch football to next week and get the ball to Riordan and Stokes quicker'.

Well, Hurrah. :rolleyes:

Yogi certainly did the right thing in hooking Nish for an extra defender at 2-3, but I wonder why we didn't start with the line-up we finished with.

Fot the love of Stanton, let's play our best players in the right positions and formation, until it's shown not to work.

...and let's get Riordan signed for the next few years, please. :wink:

Would that be the system that managed to score 3 times?

hibsbollah
16-08-2010, 11:05 AM

I'd say yes. The inability to change things when they were going wrong was obvious last season. From what ive seen/heard, his decision to bring on Wotherspoon for De Graaf to inject some width changed the game, and Stephens improved things at the back. Maybe he's learning through experience, like we all do?

bighairyfaeleith
16-08-2010, 11:06 AM

no, we only scored once before half time

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 11:11 AM
no, we only scored once before half time

Here we go again, our system never changed until the substitutions were made, we played better after half time, but imho the system was the same.

mim
16-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Yes it would, G. :agree:

We are always liable to score goals with the attacking talent we have at our disposal. We could, maybe should, have scored 3 in the first half, without ever being at the races.

The problem is that we spent the first half being overrun and were very lucky to still be in with a shout at half time.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes it would, G. :agree:

We are always liable to score goals with the attacking talent we have at our disposal. We could, maybe should, have scored 3 in the first half, without ever being at the races.

The problem is that we spent the first half being overrun and were very lucky to still be in with a shout at half time.

See i never saw that. Yes Motherwell had a lot of the ball, but overrun??? They never made Stack work at all apart from the goal, we had 3 or 4 times more chances to score more than the 3 we did. Their keeper is getting man of the match from their supporters. We deserved the win yesterday, we were the better side.

bighairyfaeleith
16-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Here we go again, our system never changed until the substitutions were made, we played better after half time, but imho the system was the same.

I couldn't say for sure as I only listened to the game, however it seemed to me that the changes where made at half time. Which actually means I am praising yogi for making changes sooner rather than later.

Expecting Rain
16-08-2010, 11:35 AM
The positives, Yogi wants Hibs to play attractive passing football and has a lot of good players to choose from, the negatives, he continues to play a couple of guys that should never start a game, it looks like he wants Hibs to pace themselves through a game thus we`re stronger in the second half, the negatives the game could have been lost in the first half, the level of concentration and the lack of urgency at times was quite frightening, i`ll end on a positive, we scored three and could easily have had three or four more, credit to Yogi this week, we won away from home.

Beefster
16-08-2010, 11:45 AM

You're not a frequenter of www.ratebeefstersworkperformance.co.uk then?

matty_f
16-08-2010, 01:26 PM
You're not a frequenter of www.ratebeefstersworkperformance.co.uk (http://www.ratebeefstersworkperformance.co.uk) then?

Nah, I got fed up defending you from all the anti-Beefster brigade!:greengrin

Capt Mainwaring
16-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Very happy to give credit to Yogi on two fronts fron Sunday:

1. He's realised that Smith is 3rd in line as Goalkeeper.

2. He subbed Stephens for Nish to protect the lead

Terrible first half on Sunday highly enjoyable second half. Another roller coaster season ahead.

sesoim
16-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I'd say Hughes got it wrong in the first half, but I'll give him some credit for us playing much better in the second.

We still try to do silly passing moves that we are clearly not good enough to execute on a regular basis - we lost a lot of games because of this last season and I still blame Hughes for that.

If we can get a couple of signings in the right positions and play a system that allows us to win and hold the ball for longer in midfield instead of giving away possession too cheaply, we can easilly finish 3rd.

Given how bad Rangers and Celtic are though, I still reckon if we had a good manager we really could split the OF this season. I think we are misssing a great opportunity.

sesoim
16-08-2010, 09:27 PM
See i never saw that. Yes Motherwell had a lot of the ball, but overrun??? They never made Stack work at all apart from the goal, we had 3 or 4 times more chances to score more than the 3 we did. Their keeper is getting man of the match from their supporters. We deserved the win yesterday, we were the better side.

We made them look better than they are because our system and tactics weren't working. We couldn't get a grip because we only had three midfielders and Nish couldn't hold the ball up for Rioirdan and Stokes. With a 4-4-2 (bringing in Wotherspoon,Zemmama, Murray or even Bamba, but NOT Rankin), we would have dominated the midfield and still had the same goal threat.

matty_f
16-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd say Hughes got it wrong in the first half, but I'll give him some credit for us playing much better in the second.

We still try to do silly passing moves that we are clearly not good enough to execute on a regular basis - we lost a lot of games because of this last season and I still blame Hughes for that.

If we can get a couple of signings in the right positions and play a system that allows us to win and hold the ball for longer in midfield instead of giving away possession too cheaply, we can easilly finish 3rd.

Given how bad Rangers and Celtic are though, I still reckon if we had a good manager we really could split the OF this season. I think we are misssing a great opportunity.

If we weren't at least trying these silly passing moves, we'd not have scored the third goal.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 09:49 PM
We made them look better than they are because our system and tactics weren't working. We couldn't get a grip because we only had three midfielders and Nish couldn't hold the ball up for Rioirdan and Stokes. With a 4-4-2 (bringing in Wotherspoon,Zemmama, Murray or even Bamba, but NOT Rankin), we would have dominated the midfield and still had the same goal threat.

They never troubled Stack all game, we had everything under control. The very same system and tactics contributed to us scoring 3 times, and their keeper picking up numerous MOM awards from their fans. Riordan got ESPN mom from his wide left position, and had a hand in all 3 goals. Not bad from someone having no grip of the game.

jacomo
16-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Yogi get the thumbs up from me for a winning start to the season, and I won't necessarily be getting on his back when we lose.

But there's still plenty of concerns to be addressed, I think. Yogi has more time to try and get it right but he's not yet convinced me.

mjhibby
17-08-2010, 08:26 AM
just by putting stephens on and trying to shut the back door was a good move tacticly:thumbsup:from me

Revolutionary tactics indeed.maybe yogi just used last season as a practise run and will now baffle other managers by using their methods.Always had faith in yogi.:wink: