PDA

View Full Version : Antics of the management team

Baker9
15-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I enjoyed the game from hospitality in the main stand directly above the dugouts but fortunately not within earshot. I couldn’t believe the antics of Hughes, Rice and occasionally Evans during the game. They appeared to be screeching instructions at the rate of one every thirty seconds. Whatever happened to the old cliché, “once the players cross the white line there is nothing a manager can do”? I am not convinced that the players paid much attention and they seemed not to want distracted. Calm down Yogi, you have the makings of a really good side – give them their head on the park and sort them out off it. Ironically, most of the screeching seemed to happen after we went 2-1 ahead. As for the game, I thought we were nearly great in the second half and I loved it.

On another track, I don’t like Riordan’s attitude (nor Stokes’). Riordan is however a footballing genius with too few non-footballing brain cells and I hate it when he is left out of the team. I would prefer players of his class to have great attitudes but there is little chance of us getting that at the money we can pay. The solution? Play Riordan wherever he wants and build the team around that. Don’t try to fit him into a system, ask him where he wants to play and who he wants to play with.

I’m eternally optimistic about Hibs and I really believe, yet again, we are on the edge of something special. Highlight of the day – meeting Gerry Baker who was doing his Motherwell hospitality thing. A real gent like his brother and it’s now official – he was faster than Joe.

Bob1875
15-08-2010, 04:00 PM
So your having a go at yogi for giving "too much" instructions to the team? Do me a favour..

Baldy Foghorn
15-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Hughes must get really frustrated at times, as he has a system in mind and a style he wants, but the players can't deliver it all the time, or don't follow his instructions....

I saw him boot the dugout wall in disgust, only hope his foot is OK:wink:

jonny
15-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought that Yogi got it as near to spot on today as he couldve. We just won at Fir Park so he mustve done something right. For the first time in a while I thought he made the right changes at the right times. Bringing Stephens on when he did shored up the defence and helped us see the game out - something that we have struggled to do recently.
Still dont rate 1 or 2 of the players in the starting line up but credit where its due IMO.

Baker9
15-08-2010, 04:24 PM
So your having a go at yogi for giving "too much" instructions to the team? Do me a favour..

I felt it was a bit like the loony coach of the under-10 team or the mad parent. I imagine that seasoned professionals neither want nor need that. The big surprise was that at 1-0 down the management team were much quieter. I have no doubt Yogi and his assistants were greatly relieved to be 2-1 up and maybe the occasion got to them.

Twa Cairpets
15-08-2010, 04:26 PM

I think the OP was spot on. Im still pretty much giving Yogi the benefit of the doubt, but this desire to micromanage every aspect of the game whilst it is on is crazy. You just dont see it happening with the best managers. Enthusiasm is ine thing, yelling and screaming every ten seconds at players to mive 5 yards this way or the like is just mental.

Hibstrooper
15-08-2010, 04:37 PM
On another track, I don’t like Riordan’s attitude (nor Stokes’). Riordan is however a footballing genius with too few non-footballing brain cells and I hate it when he is left out of the team. I would prefer players of his class to have great attitudes but there is little chance of us getting that at the money we can pay. The solution? Play Riordan wherever he wants and build the team around that. Don’t try to fit him into a system, ask him where he wants to play and who he wants to play with.

Bit of a strange comment plus an unnecessary dig as well at Riordan. I think his attitude, particularly so far this season, has been really good. I think it looks as if he has matured as a person and was rightly given the captains armband for a couple of games preseason.

bournehibby
15-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I enjoyed the game from hospitality in the main stand directly above the dugouts but fortunately not within earshot. I couldn’t believe the antics of Hughes, Rice and occasionally Evans during the game. They appeared to be screeching instructions at the rate of one every thirty seconds. Whatever happened to the old cliché, “once the players cross the white line there is nothing a manager can do”? I am not convinced that the players paid much attention and they seemed not to want distracted. Calm down Yogi, you have the makings of a really good side – give them their head on the park and sort them out off it. Ironically, most of the screeching seemed to happen after we went 2-1 ahead. As for the game, I thought we were nearly great in the second half and I loved it.

I’m eternally optimistic about Hibs and I really believe, yet again, we are on the edge of something special. Highlight of the day – meeting Gerry Baker who was doing his Motherwell hospitality thing. A real gent like his brother and it’s now official – he was faster than Joe.

Often wondered happened to Gerry in later life. And yes, remember his pace was breathtaking at times.
bh

Part/Time Supporter
15-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I thought that Yogi got it as near to spot on today as he couldve. We just won at Fir Park so he mustve done something right. For the first time in a while I thought he made the right changes at the right times. Bringing Stephens on when he did shored up the defence and helped us see the game out - something that we have struggled to do recently.
Still dont rate 1 or 2 of the players in the starting line up but credit where its due IMO.

:faint:

PISTOL1875
15-08-2010, 05:06 PM

You should try sitting behind him at every home game mate.. Some weeks he's a complete embarassment..........

Bayern Bru
15-08-2010, 05:40 PM
From today, compare the attitude of Riordan and Stokes - who both look much sharper, fitter and effective than they did last season - chasing balls, tracking back, and having a hand in the goals, and then both coming to applaud the fans at the final whistle, with that of Hogg, who trudged off the park without so much as a second glance at the Hibs support (a bit surprising from the captain) and Nish, who spends a lot of time with his hands on his hips and gesticulating at fans.

I'm aware Hogg and Nish get an unbelievable amount of abuse on here and at games but as professional footballers they need to try and ignore that and hold their heads up, knowing they've tried their best and given 100% and done what they can to quieten the boo-boys, no matter how difficult. I've never noticed it affecting Hogg before so it seems it can be done.

I'm not saying that Hogg and Nish are the only players with questionable attitudes, but I thought it might make sense to compare and contrast the two 'favourites' with the two 'whipping boys.'

Baw187
15-08-2010, 05:52 PM
From today, compare the attitude of Riordan and Stokes - who both look much sharper, fitter and effective than they did last season - chasing balls, tracking back, and having a hand in the goals, and then both coming to applaud the fans at the final whistle, with that of Hogg, who trudged off the park without so much as a second glance at the Hibs support (a bit surprising from the captain) and Nish, who spends a lot of time with his hands on his hips and gesticulating at fans.

I'm aware Hogg and Nish get an unbelievable amount of abuse on here and at games but as professional footballers they need to try and ignore that and hold their heads up, knowing they've tried their best and given 100% and done what they can to quieten the boo-boys, no matter how difficult. I've never noticed it affecting Hogg before so it seems it can be done.

I'm not saying that Hogg and Nish are the only players with questionable attitudes, but I thought it might make sense to compare and contrast the two 'favourites' with the two 'whipping boys.'

:top marks

ionahibby
15-08-2010, 05:55 PM
so what would you rather yogi do sit on his arse and do nothing, imho yogi had a right have a go at the players they were doing **** all a boot up the arse is needed :grr: