PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful attacking 2nd half display! With a special mention to Liam Miller!

California-Hibs
15-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Thought this deserves a thread of its own. For me, that 2nd half today was outstanding, truly a joy to watch! It was like we were going to score everytime we went forward! Me and the guys around me said that it felt like watching the team under Mowbray. The interlinking play between Riordan, Stokes and Miller worked a treat!
Liam Miller for me was head and shoulders above everyone on that park today, class, sheer class. Not only did he score a fantastic goal, but as i say his link-up play was top notch. He was driving at them when he had it, and worked very hard for the team! :thumbsup:

Well done YOGI aswel! Everyone on here is quick to give him stick and call him every name under the sun when things on the park arent going our way, but you have to then give him credit when its bloody due!
I felt he done well in hooking Nish and bring on the big lad Stephens and put him in beside Bamba, we looked pretty soild! Also a good call bringing off De Graff for Wotherspoon, who caused them alot of problems down the wing! You can also tell he gave them a good telling at half time because we could out a completly different team!
Great start to the season boys, lets hope we can keep it up! :thumbsup:

Hibs90
15-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Where you watching a different game or something? I thought we were pish throughout tbh.

California-Hibs
15-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Where you watching a different game or something? I thought we were pish throughout tbh.

Oh dear, honestly...? :bitchy:

500miles
15-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Wotherspoon was the difference. A wee bit of adventure, pace and width gave us what we needed. Nish is getting all the stick, but while he may not have played well today, he wasn't the cause of our lack of cutting edge for the first hour, it was the missing Wotherspoon.

hibeedonald
15-08-2010, 03:04 PM
agree with op, second half was brilliant:agree: some of attacking play on display was fantastic.

Hibs90
15-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh dear, honestly...? :bitchy:

Yup. I believe we can play much better than that. It made a difference when Nish went off and Stokes n Deek were upfront and our performance improved a little but still thought we were pretty crap.

MountcastleHibs
15-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Second half was like watching a totally different team from the first. Good, attacking football led by Miller, Riordan and Stokes.

And Yogi for once made the right changes at the right time, so well done to him.

In general, well done to all today - players, management and supporters.

MartinfaePorty
15-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Can't comment on 1st half, as I was playing 11s, but apart from a few crosses, including the one that hit the woodwork, Well were reduced to the long ball and we were by far the better team. If Deek's shooting boots had been on and Nish hadn't stupidly tugged the guy's shirt, then I think we would have won 4 or 5-1.

Great win against a team that's been in great form and well done to Yogi for the correct use of subs. Next Sunday will be difficult, but we shouldn't fear the Huns.

Austinho
15-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Thought this deserves a thread of its own. For me, that 2nd half today was outstanding, truly a joy to watch! It was like we were going to score everytime we went forward! Me and the guys around me said that it felt like watching the team under Mowbray. The interlinking play between Riordan, Stokes and Miller worked a treat!
Liam Miller for me was head and shoulders above everyone on that park today, class, sheer class. Not only did he score a fantastic goal, but as i say his link-up play was top notch. He was driving at them when he had it, and worked very hard for the team! :thumbsup:

Well done YOGI aswel! Everyone on here is quick to give him stick and call him every name under the sun when things on the park arent going our way, but you have to then give him credit when its bloody due!
I felt he done well in hooking Nish and bring on the big lad Stephens and put him in beside Bamba, we looked pretty soild! Also a good call bringing off De Graff for Wotherspoon, who caused them alot of problems down the wing! You can also tell he gave them a good telling at half time because we could out a completly different team!

I had replied to the Nish thread with almost the same comments before reading this quote. Obviously we can both spot a good bit of footie when we see it !!

Iggy Pope
15-08-2010, 04:00 PM

I think he was watching the same game as me. What game were you watching? Pish? I would question if you've ever seen Hibs at their pishest.

therealgavmac
15-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I think he was watching the same game as me. What game were you watching? Pish? I would question if you've ever seen Hibs at their pishest.

:thumbsup:

Baker9
15-08-2010, 04:15 PM

I agree it was a great second half but we did get a lot of room. Fair play to Craig Brown they had a go. Is it a first - us playing with a definite back 5? Not sure about the logic behind that but I'll take the win. At one stage in the second half I forgot that de Graffe was playing. He didn't seem to get involved. I liked him in the two earlier games I've seen and he will find his way.

Storar
15-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like Meeko was the only one watching another game because everybody seems to agree that the 2nd half was up there with the best we've played all year. I also used the Mowbray comparison. Some of the one touch passing and movement while actually managing to go forward was brilliant and was such a welcome change to the pishy tapping it around our own half that we've seen for the last 6 months.
Obviously it doesn't let Hughes off completely but for the first time I think that there's even a slight chance that there might be something in this philosophy of his. We'll just need to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.

Phil MaGlass
15-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Missed most of second half went and watched ADO get pumped by Roda, seems we were great 2nd half and Hughes got his subs right.Did we play 10 behind the baw after the 3rd or did we move to Deeks and Stokes up front?

weonlywon6-2
15-08-2010, 05:15 PM

at long last,a positive post. !!!!

cant believe all the negative stuff on here today. we won 3-2 at a ground where very few will succeed this season

some people need to get a grip

well done hibs,great start to the season:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

col02
15-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I agree with the thread starters sentiments. Left the match with a bit of a buzz as some of the passing interplay 2nd half was just a joy to watch! A wee bit grit in the team too that many do not credit them with to come back from 1-0 down and then take the lead and hold onto it at a tricky away venue.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Missed most of second half went and watched ADO get pumped by Roda, seems we were great 2nd half and Hughes got his subs right.Did we play 10 behind the baw after the 3rd or did we move to Deeks and Stokes up front?

We scored all 3 goals playing the same way we did in the 1st half.

paxtonhibby
15-08-2010, 05:45 PM
We scored all 3 goals playing the same way we did in the 1st half.

Sorry,cant agree with that.Motherwell controlled the first half,pressing us,but as the 2nd half wore on we got more room to play how we like to.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Sorry,cant agree with that.Motherwell controlled the first half,pressing us,but as the 2nd half wore on we got more room to play how we like to.

Did we change tactics or did we keep playing the same way?

LEaston87
15-08-2010, 05:48 PM
at long last,a positive post. !!!!

cant believe all the negative stuff on here today. we won 3-2 at a ground where very few will succeed this season

some people need to get a grip

well done hibs,great start to the season:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

totally agree, today was a FANTASTIC result for the team, away from home against one of our main rivals for 3rd place so well done to the team and yogi :thumbsup:

paxtonhibby
15-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Did we change tactics or did we keep playing the same way?

Certainly didnt play the same way the 2nd half as the 1st,Yogi must have given them grief at the break.Bloody lucky to be level at half time.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Certainly didnt play the same way the 2nd half as the 1st,Yogi must have given them grief at the break.Bloody lucky to be level at half time.

Yes we did, we came out for the 2nd half and played the same formation with the same players. We then scored 3 goals and the manager then shored the defense up to win the game. Using plan B.:confused:

Dinkydoo
15-08-2010, 06:30 PM

:top marks

Watched the game on ESPN and felt that our second half performance was much, much better. We had desire and played with a good rythem and were maybe a little lucky at times but overall it was a pretty solid second half performance.

Well done Yogi and well done Hibs. :notworthy:

hibsbollah
15-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I havent seen the game yet, but a 3-2 away win against a team that I expected to finish above us this season is a great start. Most encouraging for me is all the threads saying Miller had a good game. For me, how he plays throughout this season will define how our season pans out. Will he be sublime like 1st half of 09-10 or anonymous like he was for the 2nd half of last season? If he plays to his potential he has the talent to control the centre of midfield, which we havent been able to do for a long while.

Oh, and well done Yogi:thumbsup:

1875godsgift
15-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Slightly off topic but I thought it was very unfair to give him a yellow card for his goal celebrations. It was done impulsively and in good spirits, in front of the Hibs support, who were obviously delighted too!
Nobody was hurt and no offence could be taken from it, it adds to the atmosphere at the game.
Compare that to Kyle Laugh-at-me's pre-meditated, cringeworthy stupid wee dance in front of the HIBS support when he scored. Fair enough he was on the pitch when he embarrassed himself, but that sort of behaviour IS likely to cause offence and could lead to trouble.

cockneymike
15-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Only watched on TV, but totally agree with the OP. In the 2nd half we were top notch - great stuff and Miller was brilliant. However I actually thought he was excellent in the 1st too, although he played much deeper.

WRT Blackpool's comments re what changed, Yogi has said on the Hibs TV interview that he did change it in the 2nd, and asked the players to go more direct, not the 'normal hibs game'.

Also thought bringing on stephens when he did was a master stroke - as he really shored things up and took sutton out the game, and also allowed bamba to offer hanlon better cover against humphreys (whom I thought looked a real player). Humphreys went off shortly after.

On a less positive note, I also thought that the problems humphreys gave hanlon, were nothing to the problems that he would have given Murray. Just showed the problem of having slow full backs - this will really hurt us this season!

Cabbage East
15-08-2010, 07:44 PM
2nd half performance was quality.

monktonharp
15-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Where you watching a different game or something? I thought we were pish throughout tbh. you are obviously oan something? we were very good,in the second half! Motherwell looked out on their feet wi' 20 mins to go and we should have punished them. they got lucky,in the second half. first 20 mins,well that's another story, 'Well could have been out of sight by then, game of two halfs. RIORDAN,and Nish both had chances to finish it,and also that magnificent shot from Stokes which was equally saved by their goalie.the manager got it right today

paxtonhibby
15-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes we did, we came out for the 2nd half and played the same formation with the same players. We then scored 3 goals and the manager then shored the defense up to win the game. Using plan B.:confused:
Why the confusion?Do you think Yogi told the players to play exactly the same way?Aye,OK then.

monktonharp
15-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Certainly didnt play the same way the 2nd half as the 1st,Yogi must have given them grief at the break.Bloody lucky to be level at half time.:agree:we were lucky,but he must hae gein' them a roastin'. they came out with a real purpose in the second half and top marks must go to Liam Miller.

Hank Schrader
15-08-2010, 08:08 PM

More drivel :rolleyes:

lucky
15-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Hibs did not play that well in the first half but we did score and Stokes and McBride had good chances as well. Motherwell scored and had one other chance when Sutton mis-kicked. Motherwell had more purpose and pace in the first half but at no time should they have been out of sight.

The second half Hibs played well. The two subs turned the game in our favour. Spoony gave us an out ball and some width. The Stephens protected the back four well. Taking of Nish allowed Ant and Deeks to play up front with Miller coming in behind them.

Yogi has been slaughtered on here with some justification for his tactics and subtituation but today he called it right.

Really looking forward to the Huns game next week. :thumbsup: