PDA

View Full Version : NHC Now *that's* what you call a planning application: Aberdeen Arena

(((Fergus)))
15-08-2010, 02:27 PM
21,000 capacity scheduled to open 2013.

Flythrough video here http://www.afc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10284,00.html or pictures here:

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/37/ce/0,,10284~8965687,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/24/ce/0,,10284~8965668,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/25/ce/0,,10284~8965669,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/26/ce/0,,10284~8965670,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/27/ce/0,,10284~8965671,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/2c/ce/0,,10284~8965676,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/2d/ce/0,,10284~8965677,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/2f/ce/0,,10284~8965679,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/33/ce/0,,10284~8965683,00.jpg

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/35/ce/0,,10284~8965685,00.jpg

givescotlandfreedom
15-08-2010, 04:12 PM
This superground's been scheduled for years, albeit without this location. How are they planning to pay for it? Even with the sale of Pittodrie they'll fall well short and Milne doesn't seem to be putting a penny into them.

marinello59
15-08-2010, 04:15 PM
This superground's been scheduled for years, albeit without this location. How are they planning to pay for it? Even with the sale of Pittodrie they'll fall well short and Milne doesn't seem to be putting a penny into them.

Well Plan A was to call it a Community Stadium and get the council to pay.:greengrin
Plan B is............erm............nope, I haven't heard a word. Nice plans in a 'here's what you could have won' kind of style though..:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
15-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Kind of though that, I always thought the Dick Donald stand does that a bit. It's the one proper, big Ibrox-esque stand reminding them of what they might have achieved if the success hadn't run out :) I'm also clueless as to why they seem to think they HAVE to move from Pittodrie when the existing ground is the same size and the one they want to move into (in the middle of nowhere) and can't afford.

bighairyfaeleith
15-08-2010, 04:27 PM
TBf if they ever build it will be a great stadium. Still won't come close to tynie, but at least there trying:wink:

StevieC
15-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Upon closer inspection ...

Middle of nowhere .. one road in .. one road out .. 2,000 car spaces maximum .. that'll be fun on match days.

:wink:

Shaggy
15-08-2010, 05:37 PM
........... but it is mega. Very 21st century if it comes of for them. Good luck ti them.

More likely than a tyny rebuild, ............ If the Dons got this.. I wouldnt be surprised if the yams burn the auld stand down for the insurance money.

(((Fergus)))
15-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Kind of though that, I always thought the Dick Donald stand does that a bit. It's the one proper, big Ibrox-esque stand reminding them of what they might have achieved if the success hadn't run out :) I'm also clueless as to why they seem to think they HAVE to move from Pittodrie when the existing ground is the same size and the one they want to move into (in the middle of nowhere) and can't afford.

Apparently if they redevelop Pittodrie to current regulations it would take five years to do (with reduced crowds obviously), cost minimum 30 million and leave them with a capacity of 12,000. This would also leave them with a debt that they'd be unable to service never mind pay off.

Selling Pittodrie will, apparently, give them with enough capital after the land purchase to pay for at least part of the new stadium.

StevieC
15-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Selling Pittodrie will, apparently, give them with enough capital after the land purchase to pay for at least part of the new stadium.

This part ...

http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/uploads/2010/03/brick_2d5f9.jpg

MSK
15-08-2010, 05:49 PM
This part ...

http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/uploads/2010/03/brick_2d5f9.jpg:faf:

CB_NO3
15-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Apparently if they redevelop Pittodrie to current regulations it would take five years to do (with reduced crowds obviously), cost minimum 30 million and leave them with a capacity of 12,000. This would also leave them with a debt that they'd be unable to service never mind pay off.

This could finish the Dons off. They will be lucky to get 6 or 7k out there. The Aberdeen fans dont want it, there will be no pubs or nothing.

(((Fergus)))
15-08-2010, 06:10 PM
This could finish the Dons off. They will be lucky to get 6 or 7k out there. The Aberdeen fans dont want it, there will be no pubs or nothing.

Maybe they should build a massive pub there too. :greengrin

Can't the club run a shuttle bus service on matchdays?

Redevelopment of Pittodrie seems to be a catch-22 situation so this is their only option. That's what the cub says anyway.

judas
15-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Credit to Aberdeen for this kind and audacious plan, my only criticism would be that this airport terminal building is several miles from the runway. It would take some time for passengers to actually get from the plane into the airport itself.

If I were 'Aberdeen' and I wanted to make a gesture to the city, I would consider something else. Perhaps a visitor centre or further development of the dock/port.

Part/Time Supporter
15-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Well Plan A was to call it a Community Stadium and get the council to pay.:greengrin
Plan B is............erm............nope, I haven't heard a word. Nice plans in a 'here's what you could have won' kind of style though..:greengrin

Aberdeen council are even more skint than AFC

:confused:

(((Fergus)))
15-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Credit to Aberdeen for this kind and audacious plan, my only criticism would be that this airport terminal building is several miles from the runway. It would take some time for passengers to actually get from the plane into the airport itself.

If I were 'Aberdeen' and I wanted to make a gesture to the city, I would consider something else. Perhaps a visitor centre or further development of the dock/port.

It's for seaplanes landing on the loch

Part/Time Supporter
15-08-2010, 06:14 PM

I would associate seaplanes with, like, the Florida Everglades (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seaplane+everglades&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a). Slight difference from Aberdeen.

:confused: :greengrin

marinello59
15-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Aberdeen council are even more skint than AFC

:confused:

You spotted the wee flaw then.:greengrin

marinello59
15-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Wait until the fishermen and environmentalists start picking their plans to bridge the Loch apart. I do hope it doesn't drag on to long in the courts. :greengrin

MSK
15-08-2010, 06:17 PM
You spotted the wee flaw then.:greengrinFancy buying some trams ..?...:greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
15-08-2010, 06:18 PM
They did a fly-through thingy when they planned our new school. It looked great.
Then we moved in last summer....:wink:

JE89
15-08-2010, 06:43 PM
They did a fly-through thingy when they planned our new school. It looked great.
Then we moved in last summer....:wink:

Aye that's because they don't show the wee neds chewin'gumming the tables and chairs though. :greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
15-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Aye that's because they don't show the wee neds chewin'gumming the tables and chairs though. :greengrin

That, and the fan in the recording studio:bitchy:

JE89
15-08-2010, 07:50 PM
That, and the fan in the recording studio:bitchy:

:hilarious Diamond buckles too tight? :greengrin

random sub
15-08-2010, 07:57 PM
........... but it is mega. Very 21st century if it comes of for them. Good luck ti them.

21st century....in that location?! More like some hideous 1980s throw back to the un sustainable years. Do they not know that we will not be driving cars by the middle/ end of the century?! What sense of place does the middle of nowhere have?

sahib
15-08-2010, 09:02 PM
21st century....in that location?! More like some hideous 1980s throw back to the un sustainable years. Do they not know that we will not be driving cars by the middle/ end of the century?! What sense of place does the middle of nowhere have?

If population keeps increasing it may well be in middle of a city by then.

.Sean.
15-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Am I the only person who sees no real benefit whatsoever in Aberdeen leaving Pittodrie? :confused:

Granted, it's a *****hole. But the money they would receive from the sale of Pittodrie wouldn't pay for this new stadium and they're already in huge debt. And seemingly the Cooncil won't help fund it as they're skint too.

Those fickle Aberdonians are hard enough to please as it is and the vast majority of them seem totally against the proposed move. The stadium will have a similar capacity to Pittodrie and they seldom sell that out. It's unlikely they'll gain any extra fans with the move either.

So I see plenty of cons with this move, any pro's..........?

(((Fergus)))
15-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Am I the only person who sees no real benefit whatsoever in Aberdeen leaving Pittodrie? :confused:

Granted, it's a *****hole. But the money they would receive from the sale of Pittodrie wouldn't pay for this new stadium and they're already in huge debt. And seemingly the Cooncil won't help fund it as they're skint too.

Those fickle Aberdonians are hard enough to please as it is and the vast majority of them seem totally against the proposed move. The stadium will have a similar capacity to Pittodrie and they seldom sell that out. It's unlikely they'll gain any extra fans with the move either.

So I see plenty of cons with this move, any pro's..........?

Isn't it to do with the fact that Pittodrie is falling down and to renovate the place would not be viable. The impression I got was that this was their only option.

banchoryhibs
15-08-2010, 11:09 PM
As far as I understand it they are confident that the money is in place - source: MD of one of their larger match day sponsors. He did not say just where the cash is coming from and unless one of the two multi millionaires on the board is going to be very generous I have no idea.
They are £9m in debt just now and the sale of Pittodrie won't clear that plus give them the bones of the £30m needed for the new stadium.

I've yet to talk with any Dons fan who is enthusiastic about moving so far out of town.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Skanko79
15-08-2010, 11:12 PM
My brother in law was speaking to one of the guys who runs the Aberdeen sopporters association at the scotland game in sweden last week and he says he has heard donald trump has offered financial support to this.

jgl07
16-08-2010, 01:29 AM
As far as I understand it they are confident that the money is in place - source: MD of one of their larger match day sponsors. He did not say just where the cash is coming from and unless one of the two multi millionaires on the board is going to be very generous I have no idea.
They are £9m in debt just now and the sale of Pittodrie won't clear that plus give them the bones of the £30m needed for the new stadium.

I've yet to talk with any Dons fan who is enthusiastic about moving so far out of town.

I'll believe it when I see it.
There is not a hope of the thing stacking up financially.

The master plan was always to 'persuade' the local authority to build a new 'community stadium' so that the sale of the site at Pittordrie could be used to clear the debts. That may have worked had Scotland been awarded Euro 2012 and if the public sector was still awash with cash.

All local authorities in Scotland are strapped for cash and none more so than Aberdeen. They were even in financial trouble before the cuts started to hit.

I suspect that the application has gone in more in hope than expectation and I will be very surprised if anything comes of it.

Staying at Pittordrie beyond the medium term is not an option for Aberdeen. The site is hemmed in by roads so it could never be redeveloped in the way that has happened to Easter Road. The main stand is as bad safety certificate wise as that at Tynecastle.

Aberdeen may have to sit tight until local authority finances permit the construction of an community stadium.

Part/Time Supporter
16-08-2010, 05:29 AM
In fairness, Hibs first made a planning application for a new East Stand >10 years ago. They could be testing the water, or getting that problem sorted before getting everything else in place, or even just waiting for market conditions to change.

It would be a bit of a pain for AFC to carefully get the money in place for such a project and then find that they couldn't get permission for it, ie if it ended up in planning hell, along with that bypass that's never been built.

EasterRoad4Ever
16-08-2010, 05:43 AM

Hmmm, like the councils are going to have buckets of money in the next few years :bye:

Lucius Apuleius
16-08-2010, 06:46 AM
All they need to do is find a sympathetic Roughneck or ROV operator who works offshore to loosen a valve. Big oil spill, Cooncil sue whichever oil company and bingo, lots of money.

Simples.

Sandy
16-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Good luck to them. I left Aberdeen City Council to come out here, and I can confirm they are totally rooked, they were making IT (and other) staff redundant, no chance of the council helping them out. The money could well come from Donald Trump as part of the deal for the golf course :wink:

s.a.m
16-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Plenty grazing ground though.

Caversham Green
16-08-2010, 07:47 AM
The reason they have to move out of Pittodrie is that they have loans plus "rolled-up" interest totalling around £12m that has to be repaid by 10 March 2011 (or the earlier sale of the stadium). They could try to re-finance like the yams did this year with their £17.6m, but they will find it quite difficult I would imagine. It's quite conceivable that they will be homeless after March, although their fixture list would suggest that they have the problem covered.

Hibs will have to find £2m by 2020 to repay a similar loan (although the interest is being paid rather than accrued).

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-08-2010, 10:55 AM
why not just groundshare with Caley or County :cool2:

Criswell
16-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I read recently that the proposed new stadium would a have a bigger pitch so that Aberdeen could attract internationals. Makes you feel kinda smug that we have already got that!

mc5-the-don
16-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Since the most recent application and new plans came out, the mood amongst the supporters is shifting. If the proposed shuttle services work (buses ever 2-3 mins before and after game), I don't see the locaton being a problem.

The location isn't actually in the middle of nowhere - it's on the edge of the city and only about 10 min drive from city centre, when the traffic is light. There are plans for housing on the same location (no doubt being built be Stewart Milne), which will bring pubs and shops. There is also going to be a large supporters bar located in the stadium (in the large glass corner bit you can see).

I think crowds will go up, initially. The novelty and experience of going somewhere better than our current home will see a lot of interest from lapsed supporters.

As for financing it? This has never been made entirely clear, but I don't believe the plans would be getting pushed through if it couldn't be financed. I think SMG (acting for Aberdeen) plan to build flats on the site of Pittodrie, with sale profits going back to Aberdeen. A few wealthy businessmen may also be making contributions....not sure if Trump is one of those