PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on today's game...

nickwhibs
15-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Firstly great win for the Hibees agianst decent team away from home :thumbsup:. We were really poor in the first half but the goal just before half-time changed the game and we were much better in the second! Some of the passing and build up play was brilliant. I thought Riordan was superb throughout. Stokes looked really sharp and his touch was as good as I've seen from him...was even holding the ball up well and challenging in the air. Also Liam Miller had a great game and was key to everything good about Hibs today, with his performance being rounded off by a well taken goal - my MOTM, closely followed by the other two I mentioned. Although I thought the team weren't set up well be Yogi, he did make good decisions with the subs he brought on - Wotherspoon to give us more width and an extra man in midfield and was a good decsion to bring on Stephens for Nish just to sure up the defence for the last 15. So I'll give Yogi some credit for that.

Despite all the good aspects of today I thought Hogg was pretty poor again. He just seems so passive and doesn't win any headers or challenges. We just don't look solid with him at the back. He must be the easiest centre half to play against. Also Nish wasn't at the races, his touch was very poor and gave away a needless penalty - although it did look pretty soft. Hanlon had a bit of a nightmare at left back, where we all know he can't play. But he was up against a good right winger and got the second goal so fair play.

Overall, as has been mentioned, it was a classic game of two halfs but I'm really pleased with result and second half performance and things are looking a bit more promising. A few changes for next week - Nish and Hogg out for Wotherspoon and Stephens - and I'd be confident of us beating Rangers.

Few, that's probably my longest ever post :hnet:

Bishop Hibee
15-08-2010, 02:11 PM
The game changed completely on Stokes' equalizer. Prior to that, Motherwell were totally on top and it looked like a second goal could come at any time. Having said that, we have Riordan and Stokes who are capable of creating/scoring goals out of nothing.

Second half I thought we were the better team as we pushed much further forward and gave Well's defence real problems.

Best were Stokes, Riordan, bamba and second half Miller and McBride.

Hogg was poor, Hanlon got ripped by a good winger but had no helping cover (a problem of playing Deek on the left side of midfield) and Nish had a stinker. No doubt when the hun start tugging at the jerseys next week, NOTHING will be done :bitchy:

Overall delighted with 3 points. Get Wotherspoon in for Nish and go 4-5-1 against the huns next Sunday and if we push midfielders forward, we have a fighting chance.

whiskyhibby
15-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Could have had a further 3-4 goals in the last 10 minutes, if Motherwell play like that against Odense I fear the will get severely humped!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::agree:

whiskyhibby
15-08-2010, 02:15 PM
The game changed completely on Stokes' equalizer. Prior to that, Motherwell were totally on top and it looked like a second goal could come at any time. Having said that, we have Riordan and Stokes who are capable of creating/scoring goals out of nothing.

Second half I thought we were the better team as we pushed much further forward and gave Well's defence real problems.

Best were Stokes, Riordan, bamba and second half Miller and McBride.

Hogg was poor, Hanlon got ripped by a good winger but had no helping cover (a problem of playing Deek on the left side of midfield) and Nish had a stinker. No doubt when the hun start tugging at the jerseys next week, NOTHING will be done :bitchy:

Overall delighted with 3 points. Get Wotherspoon in for Nish and go 4-5-1 against the huns next Sunday and if we push midfielders forward, we have a fighting chance.

Must agree Nish was poor today, he could have had a hat-trick

Baldy Foghorn
15-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Must agree Nish was poor today, he could have had a hat-trick

Nish was back defending and helping team out...... A team player....... Some muppet booed him when he went off, shocking from a "supporter":grr:

nickwhibs
15-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Nish was back defending and helping team out...... A team player....... Some muppet booed him when he went off, shocking from a "supporter":grr:

I agree with you there. He always does give 100%, so will never boo a player for that. But still just don't think he's good enough and was pretty poor again today.

HibeeDaz6270
15-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I dont agree with a supporter booing Colin Nish, however i do not think Colin Nish merits a place in our starting 11. He may work hard, but he just does not have the ability. I can only imagine the reason he is played, is to because hes big and can be used as a target, but if im being honest he doesnt even do that well. Stokes won more headers than nish today. The amount of times nish breaks down a move, with a bad touch etc is unbelievable. I dont rate him. Riordan and stokes upfront together is the way forward.

PeterboroHibee
15-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Nish was very poor today. I actually think hes an alright player and does offer something, but he didnt do anything good today; always offside, kept giving away silly fouls and what a ridiculous penalty.

Is a good win overall, not the easiest place to go and get 3 points, but we were awful in the first half; something Yogi really has to work on, he needs to rethink his tactics as Stokes and Riordan arent always going to be able to pull us out of the mess we sometimes find ourselves in.

At The Edge
15-08-2010, 02:30 PM
as mentioned in the other posts, first half we were pretty sloppy, we made Motherwell look very good, 2nd half different story, bit more fight and passion, Deeks was very good, well pleased that Yogi managed to change things with the addition of young Stephens, (who imo is going to be a first pick very soon, solid and composed, not afraid of the ball) and for the team to actually hold the ball up and see out a victory, taking into the corners etc.
Not a blazing performance, but 3 points on the board and an improvement in most departments on the field.

GGTTH
:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2010, 02:30 PM
We had enough chances to win 2 games today. The manager did well. :thumbsup:

HibeeDaz6270
15-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Another thing, Who was playing right wing for motherwell? Very good player, and exactly what we could do with.

skipster7
15-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Nish was very poor today. I actually think hes an alright player and does offer something, but he didnt do anything good today; always offside, kept giving away silly fouls and what a ridiculous penalty.

Is a good win overall, not the easiest place to go and get 3 points, but we were awful in the first half; something Yogi really has to work on, he needs to rethink his tactics as Stokes and Riordan arent always going to be able to pull us out of the mess we sometimes find ourselves in.
:agree:
we were lucky to be level at HT but games are won and lost over 90 mins.no game ive ever seen has a team dominated for the full game so what gives us the right to think we can go to another teams ground and they will simply roll over for us ? the laughable thing is if Yogi didnt play Nish and we lost or drew, the half empty brigade would be saying they cant believe yogi dropped a player who scored 3 there in May:yawn: