PDA

View Full Version : Hartley a bad miss for Hibs ?

Hibs7
15-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I think it was a bad miss for Hibs not trying to sign Paul Hartley, him and Miller in midfield could have been a great partnership, any thoughts and did Hibs show any interest in him ?

johnrebus
15-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I think it was a bad miss for Hibs not trying to sign Paul Hartley, him and Miller in midfield could have been a great partnership, any thoughts and did Hibs show any interest in him ?

Doubt if we even spoke to him.

Hartley would have alienated the whole Hearts support and a size-able chunk of the Easter Road regulars would never have accepted him back.

Besides, I still think the Sheep will struggle. Beating a seriously depleted Hamilton Accies with the aid of three spot kicks does not herald a new dawn IMHO.

:cool2:

GlesgaeHibby
15-08-2010, 09:12 AM

I think he would have been a great signing for us. Excellent track record in the SPL, and always gives 100%.

I think de Graaf will be a cracking player for us, but if we'd managed to get Hartley too a midfield with de Graaf, Hartley and Miller would have done very well in the SPL IMO.

jdships
15-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Doubt if we even spoke to him.

Hartley would have alienated the whole Hearts support and a size-able chunk of the Easter Road regulars would never have accepted him back.

Besides, I still think the Sheep will struggle. Beating a seriously depleted Hamilton Accies with the aid of three spot kicks does not herald a new dawn IMHO.

:cool2:

:top marks
Am quite happy he didn't end up at ER .
My guys at Bristol City reckon he's a 40/50 minute player now .
As you rightly say "three penalties don't make a season" or whatever the saying is :greengrin

Kaiser1962
15-08-2010, 09:18 AM

My understanding is that Hartley was mentioned but never seriously considered, The main thing is, however, how must the yams be feeling. Sir PH was "desperate" to go there and would "never" consider joing Aberdeen for a whole number of, with hindsight utterley p!sh, raesons. Amongst the best of these were;
that it was too far to travel from his home in Hamilton.
that he hates Aberdeen as he is so loyal to Hearts
Erberdeen could "never" compete with HoMoFC when it comes to wages.[FACT!]
he had nothing to do with Riccarton, it was Pressley

and so on and so forth. Yet he's exactly what they need and they must be really hurting. And it will get worse as the season goes on.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2010, 09:24 AM
A bad miss, all right.

But for Hearts.

PeterboroHibee
15-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Think he would have been a superb signing for us, and was gutted that he went to Aberdeen. Nothing based on yesterday, it was a hat trick of penalties after all, but I think he would offered so much to the squad; would have provided experience and hes still a good player.

Jim44
15-08-2010, 09:30 AM
The Jambos are playing it cool on missing Hartley, partucularly because of the stupid reason, but bottom line is that it is a tragic mistake on their part. :greengrin

Vini1875
15-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Disagree. Maybe a few years ago he would have been, but we need are looking for 90 minute fit players with comittment to the cause. FWIW and it has said many times we already have a player in Ian Murray who could do the job PH would have been asked to play

07hibee
15-08-2010, 09:51 AM
what resign that radge cos he can score a penalty?

stubru59
15-08-2010, 09:55 AM
We don't yet know the answer to that question. I'd guess he'll be fine until the games start piling up.

Good enough for us? Possibly. But that's not the same thing as saying he's what we need.

Two decent quality (physically imposing) defenders would not go amiss.

07hibee
15-08-2010, 10:01 AM
We don't yet know the answer to that question. I'd guess he'll be fine until the games start piling up.

Good enough for us? Possibly. But that's not the same thing as saying he's what we need.

Two decent quality (physically imposing) defenders would not go amiss.

we need talller midfieilders and defenders ,simple as that since jones went the defence has been keek

Phil D. Rolls
15-08-2010, 10:20 AM
The Jambos are playing it cool on missing Hartley, partucularly because of the stupid reason, but bottom line is that it is a tragic mistake on their part. :greengrin

They never seem to have wanted anything they don't have. They didn't want to win the Champions League, they didn't want to build a new stand, they didn't want Burley for their manager etc etc etc

It must be a bridge too far for them to develop a bit of humility and just have a laugh at their stupidity for being so arrogant and big headed. They'd much rather rewrite history, sometimes on a weekly basis.

Skanko79
15-08-2010, 10:32 AM
i reckon Hibs have missed out on him. Think he will still cut it at the dons. as the chap a few posts above says, him and Miller would have been a good partnership in the middle of the park. :thumbsup:

heretoday
15-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Those numpties on Off The Ball have been fulminating about Hartley after yesterday. Suddenly he has become the grey eminence Scottish football was waiting for.

3 swallows do not make a summer!

Good luck to him by the way.

Just Jimmy
15-08-2010, 11:01 AM
If he does to Herts, what he used to do to us everytime he played, he'll do me. :greengrin

Hibs7
15-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Well watching this crap today against Motherwell I think Hartley would have made a big difference.

sesoim
15-08-2010, 11:54 AM
We have enough decent midfielders - it's just that Hughes insists on only playing three of them (in midfield).

jdships
15-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Well watching this crap today against Motherwell I think Hartley would have made a big difference.

How do you know that ?
Are you another PM with inside info ?
By the way we won 3-2 today without Hartley - OK

:greengrin:wink::yawn:

Hibs7
15-08-2010, 02:47 PM
How do you know that ?
Are you another PM with inside info ?
By the way we won 3-2 today without Hartley - OK

:greengrin:wink::yawn:##

It was an observation and if Motherwell had taken their first half chances we would have been well gubbed, we were lucky today and if you don't think that then your head is in the sand beside the thousands of Jambo's.

Wilson
15-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I think he would have been a great signing. As for alienating some of the hibs support - I'm sure they'd have come round after a few of his 110% performances in a winning hibs side.

He is going to make a rather ordinary Aberdeen side tick this season. It may have been worth signing him just so they couldn't have.

jdships
15-08-2010, 05:28 PM
##

It was an observation and if Motherwell had taken their first half chances we would have been well gubbed, we were lucky today and if you don't think that then your head is in the sand beside the thousands of Jambo's.

Sorry if I picked you up wrong , but " ......... him and Miller in midfield could have been a great partnership, " seemed like a statement to me
Luck ?
The team got it's head down and worked hard and scored three good goals - by most reports - why not give them some credit .
Professional footballers are no different to any other person who has a job .
Tradesmen , office workers et al make mistakes , there are certain tasks they find difficult to carry out , they do not carry out their manager's instructions to the letter as do footballers.
As a player you just have to remember it's a team game and get your finger out and see what happens Even when I played , all those years ago , we never sat in the dressing room and worried about winning " lucky" - we were after our "win bonus" no matter how the game was won and took what came our way thankfully . I t was usually called "rub of the green" or " break of the ball" . We were often "unlucky " but never "lucky" :greengrin .:wink: